The Habs Are Officially No Longer Smurfs

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
I'm just happy the Gainey/Gauthier era is over. When I look at our team now, and management, I cannot believe I had to endure a time where those losers almost ran this franchise to the ground. Its truly a miracle the Molson saw it fit to get rid of their a$$es.

Your obviously too young to remember the Houle era, Andre Savard and later Bob Gainey, put this team back on the road to respectability, and while Gainey/Gauthier made some bad moves (horrible moves in some cases) our roster wasn't filled with AHLers during their tenure.

As for smurfs, yeah we got alittle taller, but we didn't exactly add any toughness.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Bigger? A tad bit...
Tougher? No
Grittier? Heck no
Leadership? Good chunk gone

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Still can't wait for the day they trade Desharnais.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Malhourta-a one eyed faceoff guy-there is a reason Vancouver released him a year ago-team doctors said it was dangerous.How are we better than last season.Tampa Bay has improved with signings,Im hoping Bergy has a big trade coming and that our young players take a step up.And though Im glad we got rid of venek-tell me who replaces his goals and pts-inginla would be it but family did not want to move to Montreal

Malhotra was top 10 in the league at faceoff wins in 2013-2014. Not bad for a guy with a bad eye! He is big and strong. Great singing for $800,000 !

He is way better at faceoffs than all the centers on the Habs. He will take important draws and teach our young centers how to improve at faceoffs.

You are scared of a team we swept in the playoffs?

Tampa has 20 players signed with 2 million in cap space left.
Habs have 21 players signed with 15 million in cap space left.
'nuff said

Last edited:

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
Bigger? A tad bit...
Tougher? No
Grittier? Heck no

I have to agree, remembering how we got bullied around by Boston, toronto and even Ottowa in the 12-13 season. I sure hope MB signs someone to keep the hounds at bay from our competitors!
If not we ll be bullied outta the1st round, kinda like The big bad sens did to us in 2013.

Alot of you didnt appreciate Murray or Parros, but they sure kept the hounds away.
Even if they could not play the sport, it pretty much gave our skill freedom to roam.

Sadly that will not be the case this season, and by xmas, without s fear factor of our own, we ll be back to square one in the toughness department and the phillys, leafs, booins and even the lowly sens will be trying to intimidate each of our skilled players again.

Please MB, bring in someone so we dont lose last season and start from scratch!

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I have to agree, remembering how we got bullied around by Boston, toronto and even Ottowa in the 12-13 season. I sure hope MB signs someone to keep the hounds at bay from our competitors!
If not we ll be bullied outta the1st round, kinda like The big bad sens did to us in 2013.

Alot of you didnt appreciate Murray or Parros, but they sure kept the hounds away.
Even if they could not play the sport, it pretty much gave our skill freedom to roam.

Sadly that will not be the case this season, and by xmas, without s fear factor of our own, we ll be back to square one in the toughness department and the phillys, leafs, booins and even the lowly sens will be trying to intimidate each of our skilled players again.

chill out, pretty much guaranteed there will be a tough guy to grab from waivers within the next fedw months, at worst, we'll trade the 5th rounder given by COL for one ;)

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Oh, I didn't even realize that we made it to the third round because Murray and Parros intimidated the other team from the press box...

Boston has Chara and Lucic, two guys who don't fight, one of which i getting past his best before date. Who do Ottawa and Toronto have? Ottawa has Kassian (they'll be in trouble next year if he is a regular) and some tall and occasionally physical D but no one who should intimidate anyone. Toronto has Orr ( :laugh: ) and who else? Clarkson? Dion? Ooooh scary...

We don't need knuckle draggers anymore. Its nice to have a bigger team that hopefully will stay a little healthier through a long season but the idea that we will get ousted early next year because we don't have some goon playing 3 minutes a night is waaaaay outdated.

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
Oh, I didn't even realize that we made it to the third round because Murray and Parros intimidated the other team from the press box...

Boston has Chara and Lucic, two guys who don't fight, one of which i getting past his best before date. Who do Ottawa and Toronto have? Ottawa has Kassian (they'll be in trouble next year if he is a regular) and some tall and occasionally physical D but no one who should intimidate anyone. Toronto has Orr ( :laugh: ) and who else? Clarkson? Dion? Ooooh scary...

We don't need knuckle draggers anymore. Its nice to have a bigger team that hopefully will stay a little healthier through a long season but the idea that we will get ousted early next year because we don't have some goon playing 3 minutes a night is waaaaay outdated.

Bahahaha, watch and see young grasshopper!
Habs have zero intimidation right now, hopefully as the previous poster stated MB will pick up someone!

If we were to ice the team we have now, wed start being pushed around before October ends.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Bigger? A tad bit...
Tougher? No
Grittier? Heck no

this whole "leadership" thing is grossly...grossly overated..

I mean its nice, but if people think its a big difference between wins and losses..i mean come on...

nobody was watching gio these last 4 years going "god DAMN I wish I played more like that guy.."

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I mean its nice, but if people think its a big difference between wins and losses..i mean come on...

nobody was watching gio these last 4 years going "god DAMN I wish I played more like that guy.."

just want to clarify that you think that Gio and Gorges' leadership were overrated and not leadership in general because that i agree with. lol.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Bahahaha, watch and see young grasshopper!
Habs have zero intimidation right now, hopefully as the previous poster stated MB will pick up someone!

If we were to ice the team we have now, wed start being pushed around before October ends.

Who do the Rangers/Hawks/Kings have to intimidate their opponents? The Kings are a pretty big team overall but they don't have anyone you could call a heavyweight. The Hawks and Rags are both smallish teams with zero intimidation.

Do you actually want Tinordo to fight Orr and Lucic?

Lucic doesn't fight anymore and why in the world would anyone need to fight Orr?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal

I agree. Some of the younger players have stepped up into bigger leadership roles last season while performing at a high level on the ice and there are still enough older veterans who lead by example. Leadership shouldn't be in doubt coming into this year.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
Briere is 5'11... not 5'7... calm your guts.

coleman_wtf.gif

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Do you actually want Tinordo to fight Orr and Lucic?

Parros and Murray never fought Lucic so I dunno what the point of them on our team was. And why do we need someone to fight Orr? He plays 5 minutes a game at best and he's complete garbage.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Montreal still made the ECF with smurfs. Just sayin'...

The big guys like Eller, Bourque and Weise dragged us to the ECF....while our smurfs Gio and DD combine for 3 little goals, inluding one in an empty net....just sayin' ;)

Bigger? A tad bit...
Tougher? No
Grittier? Heck no

I didn't know that Briere, Gorges and Gionta were the one that makes our team "tough or gritty"....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad