News Article: The Habs are Canada’s team

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Still haven't answered my questions either.

Maybe you can explain to me how the poll is faulted and the results bogus in that case.

I didn't answer this because I didn't say that the poll is "faulted and the results bogus," I just said:

1. That's a lot of faith to put in polling statistics for something like hockey fandom.
  2. Polls, and the people who run them, are not perfect. Questioning the results of one poll is not the same as questioning "math and science and things of that nature."
  3. Being as confident as you seem to be based on 1 poll is putting a lot of faith in that poll. If you have others with similar results, that's definitely a better reason to be confident. I haven't seen these other polls, do you have links? [Which you haven't provided yet, by the way]
  4. I'd like to see the rest of the methodology. It was a phone survey, did they take into account non-response bias based on that? How many people failed to respond? Was it all cell phones, landlines, or a mix?
I looked at a result that was surprising with a measure of scepticism. Something I suggest you do yourself in the future. I can see how you, with your love of sensationalism, would want to conflate "questioning results" with claiming that they're "bogus," but that's your issue, not mine.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
As a well traveled American, I can state with confidence that the Montreal Canadians are Canada's "team". Mention hockey and Canada in the same sentence, in any continent or nation, and you will get something about our Habs.

Everyone knows this!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As a well traveled American, I can state with confidence that the Montreal Canadians are Canada's "team". Mention hockey and Canada in the same sentence, in any continent or nation, and you will get something about our Habs.

Everyone knows this!
Most everyone, and then there's the haters...;)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Personally, I couldn't care less about the label itself but I just like how much it annoys Leafs fans when people call Habs 'Canada's team'.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So polling of 1504 people gives you an accurate read on the 35000000 who live in Canada?

In fact yes, to within 3% +/-

That's a lot of faith to put in polling statistics for something like hockey fandom.

Here's the original posts. Not sure where your getting all this other conjecture about anything other than the 3% number I gave which was the statistical variance of this poll.

Again, if you question the poll or anything having to do with the results, have fun. until you can show why than again, you're just talking out of your a$$.

I didn't answer this because I didn't say that the poll is "faulted and the results bogus," I just said:
  1. That's a lot of faith to put in polling statistics for something like hockey fandom.
  2. Polls, and the people who run them, are not perfect. Questioning the results of one poll is not the same as questioning "math and science and things of that nature."
  3. Being as confident as you seem to be based on 1 poll is putting a lot of faith in that poll. If you have others with similar results, that's definitely a better reason to be confident. I haven't seen these other polls, do you have links? [Which you haven't provided yet, by the way]
  4. I'd like to see the rest of the methodology. It was a phone survey, did they take into account non-response bias based on that? How many people failed to respond? Was it all cell phones, landlines, or a mix?
I looked at a result that was surprising with a measure of scepticism. Something I suggest you do yourself in the future. I can see how you, with your love of sensationalism, would want to conflate "questioning results" with claiming that they're "bogus," but that's your issue, not mine.

You're not saying it's faulted because you can't show that it is. All your questioning and points thereafter are pure conjecture and show you're trying to prove a point with nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

I'm not saying it's wrong except for I don't know it's right is not a valid arguement, which is one you're seemingly trying to make.

Anyways, I could care less. Like I said in previous posts, it's not the first time the Habs have been tops as Canada's team and this is another, more thorough poll that points to the same result other past polls have shown. Whether you think it's a valid poll or not is of no consequence to me or anyone else, but I guess you're self important enough to think it is.

The fact you're on a Habs board questioning the validity of a poll that shows the habs are Canada's team says enough about you as it is. Troll.

Go Habs Go!!
:habs

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
The fact you're on a Habs board questioning the validity of a poll that shows the habs are Canada's team says enough about you as it is. Troll.

You are a very silly person.

Out of sheer curiousity though, because I find it interesting: you believe, with a high level of confidence, that the real number of people who root for the Canucks and Leafs is tied at 12% +/- 3? And that the total number of Montreal Canadiens fans is almost double that number, at 23% +/- 3%?

You're confident that there are almost twice as many Habs fans as there are Leafs fans?

Last edited:

Out East

Jan 11, 2013
Halifax NS
I've tried on a couple of occasions to show my Leaf loving father in law the raw numbers of viewers - TV ratings. Needless to say I won't be bringing it up again... de Nile is not just a river in Egypt.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So polling of 1504 people gives you an accurate read on the 35000000 who live in Canada?

Well no, there isn't 35 000 000 hockey fans in Canada. But yes, it is a small sample.

Habs is the most storied franchise in Hockey. It's pretty obvious they're the most popular franchise.
Habs are just more popular because of their recent success. I don't think we have double the popularity of the leafs.

I don't think so. Teams with the richest history tend to garner the most fans and have the highest popularity. There's nothing new here.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Out of sheer curiousity though, because I find it interesting: you believe, with a high level of confidence, that the real number of people who root for the Canucks and Leafs is tied at 12% +/- 3? And that the total number of Montreal Canadiens fans is almost double that number, at 23% +/- 3%?

You're confident that there are almost twice as many Habs fans as there are Leafs fans?

You're right I am silly for following math. I should follow my gut and question things because they don't feel right. Everyone knows your brain is located in your gut.

In case you're interested, even though it doesn't fit in your measure of scientific methodology, I don't think that, the math does.

http://www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html

Given the sample size, the results and the gap between the Habs and everyone else, I think you can draw your own conclusion.

Enjoy the site. I'm going home now to enjoy the start of the hockey season and not responding to you anymore.

Cheers!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Habs have won what, twice as many championships as the Leafs?
Ya..I wouldn't be surprised to know there's twice as many Habs fans in Canada than there are Leafs'. Not sure why anybody would be surprised by this quite frankly.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Habs have won what, twice as many championships as the Leafs?
Ya..I wouldn't be surprised to know there's twice as many Habs fans in Canada than there are Leafs'. Not sure why anybody would be surprised by this quite frankly.

To be clear: I think it's likely that the Habs have at least as many fans as the Leafs, and probably more. I just think twice as many seems high. I would be interested in seeing more evidence.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To be clear: I think it's likely that the Habs have at least as many fans as the Leafs, and probably more. I just think twice as many seems high. I would be interested in seeing more evidence.

Why would it be high? There's something to base yourself on as to why there'd be more Habs fans. Their winning history which is by far the most dominant in the sport and likely never matched. There's nothing to suggest the number of Habs and Leafs fans should be close, or closer. I'm not saying that it actually is double the amount, just that it wouldn't be surprising.
Now if the Leafs was a modern day dynasty, or had been for the past decade like Detroit, then okay, but as we all know, that's not the case.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Why would it be high? There's something to base yourself on as to why there'd be more Habs fans. Their winning history which is by far the most dominant in the sport and likely never matched. There's nothing to suggest the number of Habs and Leafs fans should be close, or closer. I'm not saying that it actually is double the amount, just that it wouldn't be surprising.
Now if the Leafs was a modern day dynasty, or had been for the past decade like Detroit, then okay, but as we all know, that's not the case.

It's definitely possible, I suppose. It's also possible it's a bandwagon effect. There are more casual hockey fans than hardcore ones, and they're more likely to not answer or claim another, better performing team, when their regular team is doing poorly? I don't know. Anyway, I get my Habs pride from their hockey successes and cultural significance in Quebec, not the number of other people who like them. I would love the Habs if they were the most unpopular team in the league, it really doesn't matter to me. It certainly is a funny way to troll Leaf fans though, who really have nothing other than perceived popularity to hang their hat on these days.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
tumblr_n8sgetNU2n1shr61qo1_1280.gif

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Just sayin' ... but I'm looking at this and see 29% Canucks fans in Atlantic Canada and more Leafs fans than Habs fans, that's got to be wrong. As well, there are more voters from Quebec than Ontario, that's not correct representative wise since Ontario has around 39% of Canada's population. Ontario is way under represented and Quebec is over represented; representative wise, Quebec should have around 139 votes and Ontario 236 votes. Extrapolate those numbers and the results are wildly different.

For all those making "small sample size" comments, a sample of a few hundred is a perfectly fine sample size for many statistical processes. But that's -only- if a proper randomized sampling method was employed to select a representative sample from the overlying population, otherwise it's statistically worthless.

Unfortunately, this poll fails on correctness criteria, so let's not go too nuts with it.

FYI, here is Stat's Can %age distribution of population for 2014:
Canada 100.0%
Newfoundland and Labrador 1.5%
Prince Edward Island 0.4 %
Nova Scotia 2.7 %
New Brunswick 2.1%
Quebec 23.1 %
Ontario 38.5 %
Manitoba 3.6 %
Saskatchewan 3.2 %
Alberta 11.6 %
British Columbia 13.0 %