News Article: The Habs are Canada’s team

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I expect they are using the same methods they used back when leaves fans were touting their popularity.

You just can't accept that popularity is gone. Oh well....
One playoff round in the last 9-10 yrs...their loyalty is starting to crack?
On the upside, they are still the team that charges the most for tickets!!

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I may have missed it in the article, but it doesn't mention Quebec or Francophones. So it's pretty much Anglophones outside of Quebec (meaning 1/5 of the Canadian population -- probably 75% Canadiens fans weren't even included in the poll).

Well they did made the difference between english and French. 64 out of 152 french people were Habs fans, 11 out of 453 english people were Habs fans.

Sondage_NHL_Canada_zps86b4173c.jpg

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Well they did made the difference between english and French. 64 out of 152 french people were Habs fans, 11 out of 453 english people were Habs fans.

The number of people asked from each province isn't really representative, and the number of fans for each team doesn't even total to the number of people asked.

But I don't understand how Leaf fans are so quick to call their team Canada's team when they've been so futile over the past 4 decades. Looks bad on Canadians as a whole.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The number of people asked from each province isn't really representative, and the number of fans for each team doesn't even total to the number of people asked.

But I don't understand how Leaf fans are so quick to call their team Canada's team when they've been so futile over the past 4 decades. Looks bad on Canadians as a whole.

As for the bold: The total is a percentage of the total, not a quantity.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Bold: This is not the way it is written.

11% of the 453 English fans were habs fans.
64% of the 152 French fans were habs fans.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
More like ''The Habs are the most popular out of the 7 Canadian teams amongst the persons surveyed''

The only true ''Canada's team'' is Team Canada. There is no consensus love for the Habs in Canada and plenty of fans for all the other Canadian teams.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
That's a lot of faith to put in polling statistics for something like hockey fandom.

It's not faith, it's statistical analysis. This isn't something to believe in or not. It's a scientifically conducted poll that represents and accurate (within 3%) cross section of hockey fans accross the country.

Do I believe in it? I believe in math and science and things of that nature, yes.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
It's not faith, it's statistical analysis. This isn't something to believe in or not. It's a scientifically conducted poll that represents and accurate (within 3%) cross section of hockey fans accross the country.

Do I believe in it? I believe in math and science and things of that nature, yes.
I'd have been less surprised if the Leafs were at 15% and the Canucks at 9%. But maybe they are...

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003

Polling statistics. You must be very confused anytime contradictory poll results are released. Polls, and the people who run them, are not perfect. Questioning the results of one poll is not the same as questioning "math and science and things of that nature."

Your arrogance is amusing though, at least.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Polling statistics. You must be very confused anytime contradictory poll results are released. Polls, and the people who run them, are not perfect. Questioning the results of one poll is not the same as questioning "math and science and things of that nature."

Your arrogance is amusing though, at least.

Polling data is not perfect, nor is any science.

the science behind polling is sound and proven. The fact there is a varience from poll to poll is to be expected within a certain variance. In this case, the numbers they have shown are pretty much the norm. If you look at polls done several other times by several other firms, there data and results are very consistent. The fact that this poll was more comprehensive and covered more of Canada than previous polls would lead to an expectation that it's even more accurate.

The sample size is well within a respectable, scienctifically backed threshold to give a fairly accurate result of within +/- 3%. The fact that the science, the mathematical and the application of this result don't coorelate to your personal view and you shun it as bad science or not accurate tells me that your arrogance is in question. At least their opion is backed my solid methodology, yours is backed by butt hurt that Canadians just don't like the Leafs as much as you think they do and that makes you sad. :cry:

I'd have been less surprised if the Leafs were at 15% and the Canucks at 9%. But maybe they are...

Given the Leafs breakdowns in the past 2 years and decade long slump, I'm not surpised they're held in as low regaurd as they are. Surprised it's not lower.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Polling data is not perfect, nor is any science.

Ok.

the science behind polling is sound and proven. The fact there is a varience from poll to poll is to be expected within a certain variance. In this case, the numbers they have shown are pretty much the norm. If you look at polls done several other times by several other firms, there data and results are very consistent. The fact that this poll was more comprehensive and covered more of Canada than previous polls would lead to an expectation that it's even more accurate.

This is my points, being as confident as you seem to be based on 1 poll is putting a lot of faith in that poll. If you have others with similar results, that's definitely a better reason to be confident. I haven't seen these other polls, do you have links?

The sample size is well within a respectable, scienctifically backed threshold to give a fairly accurate result of within +/- 3%.

The sample size is fine. I'd like to see the rest of the methodology. It was a phone survey, did they take into account non-response bias based on that? How many people failed to respond? Was it all cell phones, landlines, or a mix? You seem to be fond of science, have you ever read a scientific paper? There's a reason that there is an entire section in most dedicated to (materials and) methods.

The fact that the science, the mathematical and the application of this result don't coorelate to your personal view and you shun it as bad science or not accurate tells me that your arrogance is in question. At least their opion is backed my solid methodology, yours is backed by butt hurt that Canadians just don't like the Leafs as much as you think they do and that makes you sad. :cry:

I could accuse you of the opposite. You read like a Fox News host who found a poll that states most people think Obama is a cross between Ebola, Hitler, and Saul Alinsky.

For the record: I am a Habs fan – I hate the Leafs. I just tend to read things like this with scepticism, especially when the results are so surprising. Do you honestly think that the Leafs and Canucks have the same popularity? And that the Habs are 10% more popular than both?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Leafs are likely still the most popular, which is why they are mostly the headline team on national games.

Look at the most valuable team in every sport, it's no surprise they are also the most popular in their sport. The Leafs are the only NHL team worth over a billion dollars, in other words, the team that makes the most money is likely also the most popular.

You are right about about the net worth part, however that only means that the leafs have the greatest corporate support, and play in the largest Canadian market.

If you look at TV rating for English and French combined for habs telecasts, and compare them to the leafs, I think you get a more accurate measure of the most popular team (although this measure is not perfect either).

From the ratings I've seen in the past, the habs have been doing better in that regard.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Ok.

This is my points, being as confident as you seem to be based on 1 poll is putting a lot of faith in that poll. If you have others with similar results, that's definitely a better reason to be confident. I haven't seen these other polls, do you have links?

The sample size is fine. I'd like to see the rest of the methodology. It was a phone survey, did they take into account non-response bias based on that? How many people failed to respond? Was it all cell phones, landlines, or a mix? You seem to be fond of science, have you ever read a scientific paper? There's a reason that there is an entire section in most dedicated to (materials and) methods.

I could accuse you of the opposite. You read like a Fox News host who found a poll that states most people think Obama is a cross between Ebola, Hitler, and Saul Alinsky.

For the record: I am a Habs fan – I hate the Leafs. I just tend to read things like this with scepticism, especially when the results are so surprising. Do you honestly think that the Leafs and Canucks have the same popularity? And that the Habs are 10% more popular than both?

Maybe you can explain to me how the poll is faulted and the results bogus in that case. They presented all their data, methodology and results. I've seen you call me names and doubt it's accuracy but haven't seen any reason for your refutation.

So until you can show just reason for doubting the legitimacy of this poll and my standing by it, all you're doing is coming off as sounding like a cry baby because the big bad poll didn't affirm how amazing your team is (in your mind).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad