News Article: The Habs are Canada’s team

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
*The Habs are Canada's most popular team, according to one poll.

Or, you know, sensationalism is fun too.

PricePkPatch*

Leafs fan will still be in denial about it..

"No!!! We b most pplar!!"

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Like this is Breaking News?
The brain drain in Quebec has been going on for quite some time.
These talented influential individuals were all Habs Fans (brains) or they wouldn't of been scouted in the first place. In some places they have developed deep roots and have started a second and third wave of Habs fanatics all the while slowly winning over their respective communities!

Does the W.H.O. know about this? LOL

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs are likely still the most popular, which is why they are mostly the headline team on national games.

Look at the most valuable team in every sport, it's no surprise they are also the most popular in their sport. The Leafs are the only NHL team worth over a billion dollars, in other words, the team that makes the most money is likely also the most popular.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Leafs are likely still the most popular, which is why they are mostly the headline team on national games.

Look at the most valuable team in every sport, it's no surprise they are also the most popular in their sport. The Leafs are the only NHL team worth over a billion dollars, in other words, the team that makes the most money is likely also the most popular.

Nonsense. You should read the article before commenting on it . You're just another GTA koolaid drinker .

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON

Leafs are most popular in the lucrative Soutthern Ontairo market. That's where the money is and hence where the advertisers wish to focus.

Most worth does not equal most popular.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You mean it's NOT Ottawa!!??

That's umpossible!!!

Seriously thoughy, I wish the main stream media (all based out of Toronto) get the message and pander to HALF the entire hockey fanbase and at the very least, don't alienate them with the constant Leafs banter and homer announcers like Cherry, Healy, Stock etc...

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You mean it's NOT Ottawa!!??

That's umpossible!!!

Seriously thoughy, I wish the main stream media (all based out of Toronto) get the message and pander to HALF the entire hockey fanbase and at the very least, don't alienate them with the constant Leafs banter and homer announcers like Cherry, Healy, Stock etc...
Well, it's EK that's more popular than the Leafs and the Habs combined...he is amazing...:D

Davebo*

The team that makes the most money is the most popular? Holy crap - what nonsense! Biggest ripoff more likely! :laugh:

You should read the frigging article... :rolleyes:

With support coming from every province across the country, Montreal is cheered on by 23 per cent of Canadian hockey fans, almost doubling those who root for the Vancouver Canucks and the Toronto Maple Leafs combined.

Davebo*

So polling of 1504 people gives you an accurate read on the 35000000 who live in Canada?

I expect they are using the same methods they used back when leaves fans were touting their popularity.

You just can't accept that popularity is gone. Oh well....

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I don't put much weight on these stats. For every knowledgeable fan you have the older fans who when you ask "who's your favorite player on the leafs" will ask you if Ed Belfour still plays (or in extreme cases if Darryl Sittler is still around).

For me, I like the Habs for my own reasons, it really doesn't matter to me if we're "Canada's Team" or not. We're certainly the most successful in the last 5 or so seasons.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I expect they are using the same methods they used back when leaves fans were touting their popularity.

You just can't accept that popularity is gone. Oh well....

Take the poll international and the ratio skyrockets for the Habs...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Double Leafs and Canucks combined

Actually no, the article states:
With support coming from every province across the country, Montreal is cheered on by 23 per cent of Canadian hockey fans, almost doubling those who root for the Vancouver Canucks and the Toronto Maple Leafs combined.

The numbers tell a different story. Habs 23%, Vancouver and Leafs 12% a piece.

We are almost equal to them combined, not double. If we were double we'd be at 48%.

The writer made a mistake.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
I may have missed it in the article, but it doesn't mention Quebec or Francophones. So it's pretty much Anglophones outside of Quebec (meaning 1/5 of the Canadian population -- probably 75% Canadiens fans weren't even included in the poll).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad