Boston Bruins The greatness of Fred Cusick and Johnny Peirson

aguineapig

Whenever they show Jack & Brick going crazy in the booth after a goal I think back to Game 4 1978 ot vs Habs when Schmautzie beats Dryden to win it, Fred with the call of the goal but Johnny shrieking SCORE in the background as he must have been five feet if the ground!

aguineapig

Every year around this time Johnny would head South for the annual furniture convention and Nate Greenberg would jump in the side car until his return.Evening games were the norm Thursday & Sunday were always home games 7;30 starts. Tom Larson would do the post game show the scoreboard using the slide in letters and numbers ala the Green Monster's scoreboard.TV38 would then fill in till the bottom or top of the hour with Stooges shorts. Bobby,Espo,Chief and Cheesy, Cash,Pie,Turk&Ace followed by Larry,Curly&Moe. Has never been rivaled in the annals of broadcast nor will it ever.
RIP Garnet "Ace" Bailey.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Every year around this time Johnny would head South for the annual furniture convention and Nate Greenberg would jump in the side car until his return.Evening games were the norm Thursday & Sunday were always home games 7;30 starts. Tom Larson would do the post game show the scoreboard using the slide in letters and numbers ala the Green Monster's scoreboard.TV38 would then fill in till the bottom or top of the hour with Stooges shorts. Bobby,Espo,Chief and Cheesy, Cash,Pie,Turk&Ace followed by Larry,Curly&Moe. Has never been rivaled in the annals of broadcast nor will it ever.
RIP Garnet "Ace" Bailey.

You know, Ace was apparently afraid to fly. His friends used to kid him about it. Awful.

Reactions: Strafer

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Mark Bavis of the BU twins { Mike his identical twin} later played on PB's was also on that flight, God Bless them and all the losses of that dreadful day.
As much as I don't want to go all OT here....... You joined almost nine years ago and have made only 22 posts?? You seem like a real good read. You need to post more often! :nod:

aguineapig

Stole my kid' s ID he used to be Rick Zombo too.Never did e mails or anything like that till he showed me that too!Grew up in 60's and not to take away from today's youth it was much more magical time for B's Street hockey ruled the streets from Medford to Millinocket, rinks were being built like WalMarts, bumper stickers This is Bruins Country,
Bobby Orr Number 4 and of course Jesus Saves and Espo scores on rebound were on Pinto"s and Nova's all about!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Stole my kid' s ID he used to be Rick Zombo too.Never did e mails or anything like that till he showed me that too!Grew up in 60's and not to take away from today's youth it was much more magical time for B's Street hockey ruled the streets from Medford to Millinocket, rinks were being built like WalMarts, bumper stickers This is Bruins Country,
Bobby Orr Number 4 and of course Jesus Saves and Espo scores on rebound were on Pinto"s and Nova's all about!

The Pinto. A fine vehicle. Safe, too.

And then there was the Pacer. Another winner. Oh, those 70s.

Reactions: LouisSleigher

aguineapig

Johnny used the same go to lines frequently see if you remember any others? When a team was up a goal and clogging up the neutral zone as they say now Johnny would always say " since going up by a goal Fred the Wings are five abreast on the blue line and playing "Katy bar the door hockey' When a heated rival came to town, " With the Flyers in town Fred it's really going to be a "Tong War". And of a tough but respected opponent "he asks nor gives any quarter'

Reactions: Fenway

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Jack is the master of the colorful metaphor. His style is unique. Some prefer a more conservative pbp. I enjoy the entertainment value Wacky Jack provides.
I’ve grown to like Jack, but I can understand that opposing teams would hate him. For me Dennis Potvin( I was better than Orr), colorman for Florida, is the guy I hate the most. At least Jack has Brick to balance him. To me Brick is best colorman in the business.

aguineapig

Poor Johnny had to leave the booth before the end of the period quite often to do the intermission interview and i recall him being gassed on occasion " Were here at Maple Leaf Gardens[gasp] with my guest [gasp] King Clancy... .
Both Fred & John had the gold TV38 blazers that the desk guy at The Holiday Inn would wear. Tom Larson had one too and i swear i saw him at a desk at The Holiday Inn once!

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I became a Black & Gold addict(and puck addict in general) while in prep school in Central Mass. in the early 80's. When I wasn't watching games on the classically snowy TV-38, I was listening to Bob Wilson during study halls in my room. Listen to this clip and the names rolling off his tongue at the Forum, it's heaven.

Speaking of names rolling off the tongue, who could forget Bob's frustration in 1989 as he read a Habs lineup and turned to Boston and saw one Lyndon Byers.

"One of those years, I believe it was ’89, the Bruins were in the old Forum, facing elimination. A frustrated Bob Wilson, the club’s legendary radio voice, detailed Boston’s predicament in his pregame show, noting all the firepower the Canadiens had at hand as they attempted to close out the series.
“And who do the Bruins counter with?’’ bellowed Wilson in his deep, mellifluent voice. “Lyndon Byers . . . who couldn’t put the puck in the ocean if he was standing at the edge of the dock!’’ Wilson punctuated dock with near-theatrical emphasis."

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB and Fenway

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Fred's greatest call was almost lost forever when WBZ threw out all their old tapes. Luckily KPD recorded it at home.

Given this exists, I'm curious as to why 98.5 uses Dan Kelly's national TV call (which is an iconic call from an all-time great broadcaster) over Fred Cusick's local call in its open for Bruins broadcasts (which has, at least since 2011, used the Dan Kelly call of the 1970 goal, Bob Wilson counting down the final seconds in 1972 and Dave Goucher's "Get the Duck Boats Ready" call in 2011). Cusick's voice - like Bob Wilson's - is synonymous with several decades of the Bruins, although Dan Kelly sums up the significance of the goal quickly ("Orr scores and the Bruins have won the Stanley Cup"), which fits the radio open. Cusick & Pierson nail this one, though. You can hear the emotion in Fred's voice as he yells his customary and iconic "SCORE."

aguineapig

Fred would often issue a warning as Bobby Schmautz would wind up for a slapper " watch out in the second balcony".Schmautz used a stick with a hair pin curve and would have everyone ducking when he wound up.One night after nearly decapitating a goalie he shrugged "I was going low far side but i got it up a little and I conked him on the Cocunut!

aguineapig

Can someone find pic of old Garden scoreboard?They must have updated the face because i have vivid memory of clock during Orr era and it had manufaturer name at the very bottom.An autographed Hockey News by Rick Middleton to who has the answer and hopefully old pic!

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Can someone find pic of old Garden scoreboard?They must have updated the face because i have vivid memory of clock during Orr era and it had manufaturer name at the very bottom.An autographed Hockey News by Rick Middleton to who has the answer and hopefully old pic!

The old scoreboard hung in the food court at the Arsenal Mall in Watertown for years and was carted away a few months ago as the place is now a construction site.

Photo1.jpg

The future of the old Boston Garden scoreboard is uncertain. But its new owner is taking suggestions - The Boston Globe

Here's a photo, although it's from 1955:

CAeeIaqVIAAkUfT.jpg:large

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Johnny used the same go to lines frequently see if you remember any others? When a team was up a goal and clogging up the neutral zone as they say now Johnny would always say " since going up by a goal Fred the Wings are five abreast on the blue line and playing "Katy bar the door hockey' When a heated rival came to town, " With the Flyers in town Fred it's really going to be a "Tong War". And of a tough but respected opponent "he asks nor gives any quarter'

My favorite was 'ever so slightly'...

aguineapig

Thanks for scoreboard pics have an old History of Bruins book somewhere that has that circa with Day Industries at bottom panel. Oh well a couple more from the dynamic duo. " That big center Tom Lysiak with his size and reach has been "a going concern" all night. He sure has Fred and he's been looking to set up his big winger Eric Vail "who's been patrolling his wing" looking for that big shot of his.And Dallas Smith is back out after blocking a shot and he looks "none the worse for wear"

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for scoreboard pics have an old History of Bruins book somewhere that has that circa with Day Industries at bottom panel. Oh well a couple more from the dynamic duo. " That big center Tom Lysiak with his size and reach has been "a going concern" all night. He sure has Fred and he's been looking to set up his big winger Eric Vail "who's been patrolling his wing" looking for that big shot of his.And Dallas Smith is back out after blocking a shot and he looks "none the worse for wear"

@aguineapig

upload_2019-3-20_0-49-53.png

Day also installed clocks in Montreal and Chicago.

A company on the South Shore rebuilt the Garden scoreboard in the early 80's and tried to make it more basketball friendly.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
@aguineapig

View attachment 202185

Day also installed clocks in Montreal and Chicago.

A company on the South Shore rebuilt the Garden scoreboard in the early 80's and tried to make it more basketball friendly.

You know, I'm pleased that you were able to satisfy a fellow poster's desire for an image of a B's clock featuring "Day Industries."

The idea of a massive "old scoreboard" hanging over a food court in Watertown, or the Garden, remains frightening nevertheless. What did they call those awful things, "Jumobtrons"? I half expected these contraptions to fall forthwith to the ice, killing my Bruins & a goodly portion of their rinkside fandom besides.

In the event, "Day Industries" rules.

Reactions: Strafer and Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad