Boston Bruins The greatness of Fred Cusick and Johnny Peirson

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I remember when all televised games were on TV38. Then NESN game along and got the home games while TV38 did road games. I think back in the mid 80's to maybe the mid 90s it was Fred and Derek on the road and Fred, Derek and Dave Shea at home?

Derek and Dave would get into it a little from time to time, usually Derek got the last word in. Dave liked to use replay to prove his expertise in Dereks words. :laugh:
Dave Shea told a friend of mine that he preferred baseball to hockey and if he had his way he would "rather make a living doing Red Sox games than Bruins games..."

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
As a young bout in the early 70'sway up here between London and Toronto Ontario, about 6:30 pm WBZ's signal was just strong enough that I could pick up games. When the energy crisis hit and the USA decided to move the clocks ahead in an attempt(?) to save power, and Canada didn't follow, I was royally ticked off as it would mean I'd miss about an hour of the game because it wouldn't come in.

But as a kid, we didn't have access to Bruins TV broadcasts. So to me, Bob Wilson was and always will be the voice of the Bruins.
“Oh my”.....

God I loved Bob Wilson.

• Love
Reactions: eightspokedb

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Dave Shea told a friend of mine that he preferred baseball to hockey and if he had his way he would "rather make a living doing Red Sox games than Bruins games..."

Dave left Boston during the lost season and got the job as Washington's baseball play by play announcer. The team was appalled at how little preparation he did for each game and was fired.

The problem Dave had with Fred and Derek was they did not see the need for a third person in the booth.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Dave left Boston during the lost season and got the job as Washington's baseball play by play announcer. The team was appalled at how little preparation he did for each game and was fired.

The problem Dave had with Fred and Derek was they did not see the need for a third person in the booth.

Neither did I...or almost anyone else I've ever heard from.

Reactions: BMC

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
In a side note. The game during this era was much less violent it seems. Forgot how different it was. You can see guys letting up all the time. The lack of armor helps this.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
In a side note. The game during this era was much less violent it seems. Forgot how different it was. You can see guys letting up all the time. The lack of armor helps this.

The hitting didn't seem as vicious, but the fights were a lot more.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I remember sitting in the Porter Sq parking lot as my mother shopped at Star Market. It was a Saturday in the seventies and the Bruins were playing an away game somewhere. I had just gotten my license and my dad did me a "favor" by letting me drive her the few miles there. Bob Wilson bellowing out: "SHOT SCOOOOORE, BIG WALTER McKEK!!!" Walter McKecknie had just come to the Bruins a week or two before. I believe (not sure) that they were playing the cellar dwelling Pittsburgh Penguins at the time.

aguineapig

Johnny's in between periods with Fran Rosa of Globe, Red Fisher of Montreal Gazette etc were gold. No internet Globe Sunday hockey notes were a must but these along with pointers were must see TV " The front foot being the fulcrum of the wrist shot" and the famous line after the first game of Summit Series in 72 " It was nice to be a part of history I just didn.t think it would be Dunkirk!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Nothing against Shea, but none of us did.

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I remember sitting in the Porter Sq parking lot as my mother shopped at Star Market. It was a Saturday in the seventies and the Bruins were playing an away game somewhere. I had just gotten my license and my dad did me a "favor" by letting me drive her the few miles there. Bob Wilson bellowing out: "SHOT SCOOOOORE, BIG WALTER McKEK!!!" Walter McKecknie had just come to the Bruins a week or two before. I believe (not sure) that they were playing the cellar dwelling Pittsburgh Penguins at the time.

1] This was just before Walt McKechnie was traded to the Red Wings.

2] I lived in the Porter Square area in '85. There was *nothing there.* Nothing. I can only imagine what it looked like in '74.

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
1] This was just before Walt McKechnie was traded to the Red Wings.

2] I lived in the Porter Square area in '85. There was *nothing there.* Nothing. I can only imagine what it looked like in '74.
Awww dooood, Nothing? The Steven James house, the new RedLine extension and Sears, the Averof Greek Restaurant, Porter Dodge and Harvard Square 3/4 of a mile away....

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Awww dooood, Nothing? The Steven James house, the new RedLine extension and Sears, the Averof Greek Restaurant, Porter Dodge and Harvard Square 3/4 of a mile away....

Well then, you know Sumahville better than me. I can only say, in 1985, Porter Square reminded of Government Center. And not in a good way.

But we like what we like, my friend, and I'm glad you liked your Porter Square.

When I moved to my then girlfriend's apt. on the corner of Mass Ave. & Comm Ave., I had to get rid of the many, many beer bottles I'd lazily discarded on the fire escape outside my bedroom window. (Er, "Bartles & James" anyone? "Thank you for your support.")

And too, I had a kitchen & a large central living room as well. These days I couldn't afford a "half bath" for the price.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Well then, you know Sumahville better than me. I can only say, in 1985, Porter Square reminded of Government Center. And not in a good way.

But we like what we like, my friend, and I'm glad you liked your Porter Square.

When I moved to my then girlfriend's apt. on the corner of Mass Ave. & Comm Ave., I had to get rid of the many, many beer bottles I'd lazily discarded on the fire escape outside my bedroom window. (Er, "Bartles & James" anyone? "Thank you for your support.")

And too, I had a kitchen & a large central living room as well. These days I couldn't afford a "half bath" for the price.

Aah, you were on the Somerville side. I lived in Cantabrigia... I didn't like it, but my parents moved us there in 1970. I actually hated it but that's another story. Back then Davis Sq Somerville was a high crime area plagued with arson. Porter Sq was an afterthought that the Cambridge City council didn't know what to do with. Cambridge stagnated, Somerville was almost in receivership in the late seventies. Cambridge fire and police were patrolling Somerville's streets for a year or two around 1978-'79. In the early to mid '90s Massachusetts voters did away with rent control and then Cambridge/ Somerville real estate sky rocketed. These days you can't buy a 3 decker in the area for less than $1.5 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Aah, you were on the Somerville side. I lived in Cantabrigia... I didn't like it, but my parents moved us there in 1970. I actually hated it but that's another story. Back then Davis Sq Somerville was a high crime area plagued with arson. Porter Sq was an afterthought that the Cambridge City council didn't know what to do with. Cambridge stagnated, Somerville was almost in receivership in the late seventies. Cambridge fire and police were patrolling Somerville's streets for a year or two around 1978-'79. In the early to mid '90s Massachusetts voters did away with rent control and then Cambridge/ Somerville real estate sky rocketed. These days you can't buy a 3 decker in the area for less than $1.5 million.

Yes. I used to work for a fellow who grew up in Somerville during that era. He made it all the way to Charles Street, if you take my meaning. But the home life he had and the streets he experienced very much mirror your recollection.

I remember when rent control went away. 1989?

Quaint concept.

PS Eat the rich.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Davis Sq in the late '70s was rough as was most of the city.

Where the T is now located was a dive bar called the Railside and some guy named Bulger was the 'manager'. Down the street was the Rosebud which would open at 3 AM and have a full bar including many on duty cops. :laugh:

A couple I know bought a house that was in worse shape than George Bailey's house in the late 70's for 14K - They sold it last year for $1.4 MILLION.

The subway opening in 1984 changed everything.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Davis Sq in the late '70s was rough as was most of the city.

Where the T is now located was a dive bar called the Railside and some guy named Bulger was the 'manager'. Down the street was the Rosebud which would open at 3 AM and have a full bar including many on duty cops. :laugh:

A couple I know bought a house that was in worse shape than George Bailey's house in the late 70's for 14K - They sold it last year for $1.4 MILLION.

The subway opening in 1984 changed everything.

I appreciated the bronze gloves. Though, my, those escalators were steep & scary for a lad like me.

Bulger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad