Boston Bruins The greatness of Fred Cusick and Johnny Peirson

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In 1984 when the Hockey Hall of Fame established the Foster Hewitt Award for excellence in hockey broadcasting they selected 4 icons. Foster Hewitt from Toronto, Danny Gallivan and Rene Lecavalier from Montreal and Fred Cusick from Boston.

Many younger fans have heard clips of Cusick calling scoring plays but to understand how good he and Johnny Peirson were you have to watch an entire game.

Very few complete game tapes exist but this one from January 24, 1974, has it all including a near riot with 50 seconds left in the game.

WSBK-TV 45 years ago covered a game with THREE cameras, one at the red line and one at each blue line.

I urge you to watch this entire 2-hour clip to appreciate just how good Fred and Johnny were.

BTW if you think NHL referees are pigheaded today? I am amazed Wally Harris got out of the Garden alive after this one.

Enjoy

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
When I was in elementary school, my dad bought a set of 3 VHS tapes from the Bedford Mall.

One was “Big Bad Bruins: The Good Old Days” which was 60s/70s hilights of mostly fights. The second was 70’s- early 90’s and the 3rd was called Bam Bam Cam and was all Neely hilights.

Whenever a fight happens in today’s game, I can still hear Fred or Bob Wilson say “And here they go!”.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Bob Wilson deserved a Foster Hewitt Award. He was on the same level as Cusack with a deep baritone voice. Perhaps some time in the future posthumously.
Few men who ever lived possessed a voice as powerful as Wilson's. Listening to him call 15 minutes of a game while on the way home was exposure to enough pure manliness for me to need to shave again.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
In 1984 when the Hockey Hall of Fame established the Foster Hewitt Award for excellence in hockey broadcasting they selected 4 icons. Foster Hewitt from Toronto, Danny Gallivan and Rene Lecavalier from Montreal and Fred Cusick from Boston.

Many younger fans have heard clips of Cusick calling scoring plays but to understand how good he and Johnny Peirson were you have to watch an entire game.

Very few complete game tapes exist but this one from January 24, 1974, has it all including a near riot with 50 seconds left in the game.

WSBK-TV 45 years ago covered a game with THREE cameras, one at the red line and one at each blue line.

I urge you to watch this entire 2-hour clip to appreciate just how good Fred and Johnny were.

BTW if you think NHL referees are pigheaded today? I am amazed Wally Harris got out of the Garden alive after this one.

Enjoy

I was 3 when that game was played. Didn’t become a hard core Bruins fan for another 6-7 years.

A few observations:
Average length of shift seemed to be around a minute back then. A minute and three quarters for Espo. Lol

If that game was called under today’s rules there would have been 79 minor penalties called.

I think at one point on my life I felt like I knew more about John D’Amico and Leon Stickle than some of my cousins.
Seemed like they did every Bruins game.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Fred never liked to use the word goal... he’d say Cam Neely has three scores tonight. It use to drive me nuts.... now that I listen to Jack say things like ...”and the bruins come back from two down and strip the whale of its blubber”, the goals/scores thing doesn’t seem too big of deal.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Fred never liked to use the word goal... he’d say Cam Neely has three scores tonight. It use to drive me nuts.... now that I listen to Jack say things like ...”and the bruins come back from two down and strip the whale of its blubber”, the goals/scores thing doesn’t seem too big of deal.
Jack is the master of the colorful metaphor. His style is unique. Some prefer a more conservative pbp. I enjoy the entertainment value Wacky Jack provides.

Reactions: Strafer

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I grew up on cusick and color guys like sanderson i remember mostly. Maybe it was shea for home games?

Got my first satalite dish in 1981

The thing is... i heard just as many complaints about fred as i do now about jack. Differnt type of complaint but just as many

I myself used to complain about rod phillips here in edmonton. Hes a hof broadcaster but i hated him because i hated the team

These days i have center ice. I hear everyone. I only love or hate around 6-7 guys because the truth is most guys just blend in and you never notice

The very obnoxious guys like buffalo and the dumb as doorpost guys like potvin can still become bad enough i turn the sound off

But honestly usually the only time I really get upset at any announcing is when I get upset at the team and the game going on

We have to accept the fact that opposition fans hate our team more than any other team for the most part and that's why they're going to hate our announcer more than other announcers

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
As a young bout in the early 70'sway up here between London and Toronto Ontario, about 6:30 pm WBZ's signal was just strong enough that I could pick up games. When the energy crisis hit and the USA decided to move the clocks ahead in an attempt(?) to save power, and Canada didn't follow, I was royally ticked off as it would mean I'd miss about an hour of the game because it wouldn't come in.

But as a kid, we didn't have access to Bruins TV broadcasts. So to me, Bob Wilson was and always will be the voice of the Bruins.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bob Wilson deserved a Foster Hewitt Award. He was on the same level as Cusack with a deep baritone voice. Perhaps some time in the future posthumously.

@Ratty

Robert Henry Castellon (March 9, 1929 – January 15, 2015), known as Bob Wilson, was an American radio personality who served as the longtime radio voice of the Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League. In 1987, Wilson was honoured with the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award, enshrining him in the broadcasters' wing of the Hockey Hall of Fame. He was inducted into the Massachusetts Broadcaster's Hall of Fame in 2007. His booming baritone voice and his ability to articulate for radio listeners the dynamic flow and possession changes of ice hockey distinguished him from his peers. He also was noted for his detailed descriptions of hockey fights, which pleased his fans but sometimes gained him disapproval from critics.

Bob Wilson (sportscaster) - Wikipedia

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Jack is the master of the colorful metaphor. His style is unique. Some prefer a more conservative pbp. I enjoy the entertainment value Wacky Jack provides.
I do too. It gives him personality which is all too lacking these days. As strange as the "stripping the whale of it's blubber" was, I'm still glad he said it.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I remember when all televised games were on TV38. Then NESN game along and got the home games while TV38 did road games. I think back in the mid 80's to maybe the mid 90s it was Fred and Derek on the road and Fred, Derek and Dave Shea at home?

Derek and Dave would get into it a little from time to time, usually Derek got the last word in. Dave liked to use replay to prove his expertise in Dereks words. :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I remember when all televised games were on TV38. Then NESN game along and got the home games while TV38 did road games. I think back in the mid 80's to maybe the mid 90s it was Fred and Derek on the road and Fred, Derek and Dave Shea at home?

Derek and Dave would get into it a little from time to time, usually Derek got the last word in. Dave liked to use replay to prove his expertise in Dereks words. :laugh:

Derek snapped one night and said to Shea 'You can't even skate fatso, so shut up' - and you could hear Fred giggling in the background.

Fred played hockey for Northeastern and grew up pond skating when Brighton was more rural than it is today.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Derek snapped one night and said to Shea 'You can't even skate fatso, so shut up' - and you could hear Fred giggling in the background.

Fred played hockey for Northeastern and grew up pond skating when Brighton was more rural than it is today.
I remember one game where Neely threw a big hit and Shea said that the guy (maybe Brad Marsh?) was already going down. Derek said he "was not going down" and it went back and forth until Fred broke it up by changing the subject. I got the feeling that Dave got on Freds nerves as much as Dereks. Derek was simply more vocal about it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

That was the arrangement, as I recall.

"Lost a couple o' chicklets on that play, Fred."

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Really? You've related this bit before. I don't think Dave Shea was a bad sort, if ill suited to the gig. Bad form on Derek's part.

Now, if you can find the tape...

Reactions: dabid

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I’ve told this story here before but there are some new members who may not have heard it.

In the mid 80’s Derek would got to various high schools to talk about his experience and the dangers of drugs and alcohol.
At the end he took questions.

My friend raised his hand and asked:

“Derek, do you hate Dave Shea as much as we do?”

His reply...
“Nah, Dave’s a good guy.....doesn’t know anything about hockey, but he’s a good guy”.

:laugh:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
:thumbu:
I’ve told this story here before but there are some new members who may not have heard it.

In the mid 80’s Derek would got to various high schools to talk about his experience and the dangers of drugs and alcohol.
At the end he took questions.

My friend raised his hand and asked:

“Derek, do you hate Dave Shea as much as we do?”

His reply...
“Nah, Dave’s a good guy.....doesn’t know anything about hockey, but he’s a good guy”.

:laugh:

And there you have it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad