Boston Bruins The greatness of Fred Cusick and Johnny Peirson

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
The referees of that era. Art Skov. Bill Friday ("Friday is a bum...") The good old days.
Hopefully, you are being sarcastic, my friend.

Art Skov was totally bent. He's the one who threw Game 6 against the Flyers. League President Clarence Campbell was desperate for an expansion team to win the cup. Had he been patient, he got an all-expansion cup final the next year in Buf-Philly. Instead the fix was in for the Flyers in 74. They were something like 18-0 on home ice with Art Skov as referee.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Art Skov was totally bent. He's the one who threw Game 6 against the Flyers. League President Clarence Campbell was desperate for an expansion team to win the cup. Had he been patient, he got an all-expansion cup final the next year in Buf-Philly. Instead the fix was in for the Flyers in 74. They were something like 18-0 on home ice with Art Skov as referee.

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

Beyond that, do you have evidence for your charges against Campbell and throwing it for the expansion flyers and 74? I'm serious. If you got it, please direct me to it.

Counterintuitively, at least to you, I always assumed that Campbell detested the broad Street bullies, and was relieved in 76 when the natural order was restored, with Canadian winning the first of their four consecutive cups. My understanding is that Clarence probably ran home and took a shower after shaking Bob Clark's hand in 74, and again in 75. Am I wrong about this?

Speech to text here,

🥑✌️🕶️

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Ahhh my childhood. Watched hockey with my brother and dad. I was tony. John Peirson and "all you youngsters out there.'
Fred's book is a good read.

Once in a while they pop up on a YouTube I'm watching and I smile.

Last edited:

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
Fred calling high school football in 1947

Wow. Thanks for that. Fenway. As a former Brockton kid, it's funny hearing about Armond's exploits ON the field. Another classy, classy gentleman.

Fred was the absolute best. Even now, all these years later, when I think of a hockey broadcast, it's Cusick I hear.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, I was being sarcastic.

Beyond that, do you have evidence for your charges against Campbell and throwing it for the expansion flyers and 74? I'm serious. If you got it, please direct me to it.

Counterintuitively, at least to you, I always assumed that Campbell detested the broad Street bullies, and was relieved in 76 when the natural order was restored, with Canadian winning the first of their four consecutive cups. My understanding is that Clarence probably ran home and took a shower after shaking Bob Clark's hand in 74, and again in 75. Am I wrong about this?

Speech to text here,

🥑✌️🕶️
Well, Campbell later went to jail for something, I can't remember what. Was he an honest man, heck no. On home ice, with Skov, the Flyers were 18-0 or something like that. He was selected to ref Game 6.

I do know that Campbell felt pressure about all the expansion, and whether the expansion were competitive. The Blues were 0-12 in the finals in the first 3 years, 68, 69, and 70. Thereafter, they moved Chicago into the expansion conference and went to a crossover playoff in the semifinals, so the best two teams would make the final. In 71, it was Montreal-Chicago, in 72, Boston-NYR, and in 73, Montreal-Chicago again. It wasn't looking good for the expansion teams being competitive. And, they were adding two more teams--Islanders and Atlanta--after the cup final in 74. So, yes there was pressure about whether all the expansion was successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad