The Greatest Photos in the History of Hockey

snoris

Mar 7, 2012
Tlindsay56.jpg

The backstory to this photo involves a death threat against Ted Lindsay and Gordie Howe following Game Two of the 1952 semifinal between Detroit and Toronto. The threats were taken seriously by the RCMP and Toronto Metropolitan Police, and additional security was arranged for games three and four at Maple Leaf Gardens.

On the way to Toronto, Lindsay and Howe decided they wanted to have a little fun with the situation, which most of the players dismissed as empty threats. They approached Lefty Wilson, who was the equipment manager at the time, and asked him to take a spare sweater and sew Howe's number 9 on one side and Lindsay's number 7 on the other and have another player wear it to "fool the snipers." The two players then went to Coach Jack Adams, who promptly nixed the idea.

In a story he told years later, Lindsay also said that in the dressing room before Game 3, he joking asked rookie Marcel Bonin to wear his sweater during the warmup. Bonin declined.

The game went on without incident. Lindsay scored both the tying goal in regulation and the overtime winner. As the teams were leaving the ice, Lindsay playfully "shot at the fans" with his stick.

Last edited:

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
1959/60 - Bandy game in Sweden between Forsbacka and Köping. Who ever said it wasn't dangerous to play on ponds and lakes?

1064264.jpg

I have broken through the ice a couple of times when I was a kid, it's not very fun, but at least the deepest I was ever in was waste deep...

It's not fun walking home in the middle of winter wet lol...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I have broken through the ice a couple of times when I was a kid, it's not very fun, but at least the deepest I was ever in was waste deep...

It's not fun walking home in the middle of winter wet lol...

:laugh: Ditto on that one. Especially into a headwind over wide open acreage for about a mile to the semi warmth of a drafty old farmhouse.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Ya, that was a well executed series of posters... the Team Sweden poster with Salming reminds me of this gruesome shot...
I watched his career unfolding, just a tremendous player and the abuse he took without totally losing it, incredible.

brje-salming_58987140.jpg

And heres a great shot from 1975;

0210_large.jpg

Anyone who says football is rougher than hockey should take a long look at this photo.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
:laugh: Ditto on that one. Especially into a headwind over wide open acreage for about a mile to the semi warmth of a drafty old farmhouse.

Well, I was only a few blocks from home, but I can tell you it felt like I had to walk 2 miles (in my skates) none the less :laugh:...

I thought it would be easier to skate the shoreline of the lake we played on to where we played and I guess I hit a patch of soft ice and went right in...

I'm glad I had the forethought to skate the the shoreline tho instead of just skating across the lake - if I did that I probably would have drowned...

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
1959/60 - Bandy game in Sweden between Forsbacka and Köping. Who ever said it wasn't dangerous to play on ponds and lakes?

1064264.jpg

Hope that this would never happen in the NHL's Winter Classic game, lol. I wonder what Don Cherry would have to say about this, given his other remarks about Swedes and their hockey?

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
To me, the two greatest are Orr/1970 and the Richard handshake, with a nod to the latter because it was a singular, amazing photo while Orr's Cup winner was recorded from several vantage points. I'll post a couple that I like, one provincial and one that everyone will recognize.

Northeastern's first ever Beanpot win, in OT over BC:

https://twitter.com/northeastern/status/517725706458247169

Lake Placid, 1980. I was lucky enough to be there, and thankfully I still have tickets and photos to prove it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/Sports_Illustrated_Miracle_on_Ice_cover.jpg

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
RSCN0523.JPG

The Wayne Maki - Ted Green stick fight in a 1969 pre-season game in Ottawa.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Greatest photos or not, but these are some great hockey masks IMHO. I wish goalies could wear these old school masks today.

Warren Skorodenski

orfyden99qmbs662aeky.jpg

Gary Bromley

a3571b17a5cfd3989c2bcd9a8b78bd0f1c67c5cc.jpeg

Gilles Gratton

BmrL3QYCQAA8v3O.jpg:large

Gary Simmons

California-Seals.png

Gerry Cheevers

AWLZpPxumX0.jpg

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Any 'Messier with abundant hair' photos are class:
Messier01.jpg
images

This is in 1981-82, when Mess was 20/21. Looks like he's already getting thin on top...
6f5191d929a99b182033b1f25a9bd881.jpg

How about this one, probably from late 1980:
4130225.jpg

Here are 3 young punks on the bench, aged 19 (Kurri is 20). They're probably thinking: "When we retire, the 3 of us will collectively have 2189 goals!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad