The Greatest Photos in the History of Hockey

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's not one of the greatest photos in history, but I love this one:
1558476_10152387430490196_5894327191017929522_n.jpg

Jari: "What we do now, Wayne?"

Wayne: "Well, after I finish towelling off, we'll start our Math homework. Oh, and by the way, we play the Islanders tonight."

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It's not one of the greatest photos in history, but I love this one:
1558476_10152387430490196_5894327191017929522_n.jpg

Jari: "What we do now, Wayne?"

Wayne: "Well, after I finish towelling off, we'll start our Math homework. Oh, and by the way, we play the Islanders tonight."

This one would be so much greater if they were sitting over a board depicting a rink with marks and arrows on it. Working on a game plan, doing their tactic homeworks. "Okay Wayne, how do we solve a game situation like this?" "Let's see. I receive the puck here, right? And I'm holding it while you're moving over there..."

A chess board would have been nice too.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
lesterpatrick.jpg

Lester Patrick filling in net.

Or is it? I remember seeing comment somewhere (I believe it might have been Chabots grandson) that that is actually picture of Lorne Chabot with Lester Patricks head attached on it? That wasn´t actually that uncommon back on those days. I have seen some pretty creepy team pictures with several players with head from other pictures.

Atleast I always thought it was genuine picture of Lester Patrick, but never did take closer look on it. Does anyone have information about this?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Or is it? I remember seeing comment somewhere (I believe it might have been Chabots grandson) that that is actually picture of Lorne Chabot with Lester Patricks head attached on it? That wasn´t actually that uncommon back on those days. I have seen some pretty creepy team pictures with several players with head from other pictures.

Looks "shopped" to me indeed, but I'm not an expert.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Not the greatest photos but still pretty cool...

1980 gold medal game
miracle-on-ice.jpg

2003 mighty ducks Cinderella season ends
2090240_display_image.jpg

Lindros and GZretzky side by side for the '98 Olympics
1272298.jpg

2011 Vancouver riots
116458283_crop_650x440.jpg

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
This isn't the picture I was looking for, but it's from the same day. It's from the 1984 Canada Cup and the players exchanged jersey's at the end. 5'7 Naslund exchange jersey's with 6'4 Robinson. I remember there being a picture from behind where you see the names on the jersey's and I loved it, but this is the best I could get:

Naslund%2B%26%2BRobinson%2B1984.jpg

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Game versus Finland I believe for the Gold. The USSR game was to advance into the final round.

By winning that game (and a tie would have been enough too) against Finland USA did secure the gold. However, if Finland had won the game, then the Soviets would have won the gold. USSR would've had 4 points, Finland and USA both 3 points (Finland silver, USA bronze) and Sweden 2 points.

So, the game vs. Finland was maybe the 'gold medal game' for USA, but it was never going to be that for Finland, even if they had won it.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
By winning that game (and a tie would have been enough too) against Finland USA did secure the gold. However, if Finland had won the game, then the Soviets would have won the gold. USSR would've had 4 points, Finland and USA both 3 points (Finland silver, USA bronze) and Sweden 2 points.

So, the game vs. Finland was maybe the 'gold medal game' for USA, but it was never going to be that for Finland, even if they had won it.

On the same token the USSR game was not "to advance into the final round" either for the Americans. The game already was part of the final round.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
On the same token the USSR game was not "to advance into the final round" either for the Americans. The game already was part of the final round.

Yep. USA would have played against Finland as their last game, no matter what had happened vs. USSR. Just like USSR went on to thrash Sweden after the loss vs. USA, and got the silver medal (yipee!).

The old round-robin format (first round & final round) at the Olympics is a case of endless confusion everywhere; I love it when the 'more clever' people educate us that "despite the common belief, the Miracle on Ice game wasn't actually the final but the semi-final" or something like that :naughty:

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I've always been very fond of this one of Burrows.

You have to be able to not take things too seriously when you're a Canucks fan, unless you want to be sad/angry all the time.
hi-res-115247010_crop_north.jpg

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
110970.jpg

January 3, 1970
Coach Red Kelly issued red, white, black and brown earmuffs to the Penguins to wear during the game to drown out the rowdy faithful at the St. Louis Arena.

The Penguins couldn’t hear anything that night, and apparently, couldn’t see the back of the net, either. Kelly was concerned about the St. Louis fans from the previous game there, when the Pens were shut out, 4-0. “One guy got pretty viscous last time,†Kelly said about the Nov. 13 game. He added, “My guys won’t have to hear the hecklers and won’t be disturbed by them.â€

Kelly purchased the assorted-colored earmuffs at Kaufmann’s Department store before heading to St. Louis and distributed the headgear to his players and the only other guy on the bench, trainer Ken Carson. Kelly did not make the headgear mandatory.

In front of a standing-room-only crowd of 16,566, Kelly, Carson and about half of the players wore them at the start of the game, but the Blues scored five goals in the first 14 minutes to stun the Pens and goalie Les Binkley. “But before the end of the embarrassing first period, there was not a set (earmuffs) in sight,†a local newspaper reported.

Blues’ goaltender Ernie Wakely made 26 saves to shut out the Pens again, 6-0.

The Penguins didn’t get a win in St. Louis in the next five visits, two seasons later, when they beat the Blues, 4-1, on Nov. 9, 1971.

Players on bench from left: Keith McCreary, Bryan Hextall, Ken Schinkel, Glen Sather, Ron Schock,Tracy Pratt and Duane Rupp (behind Kelly).

http://pittsburghhockey.net/pittsburgh-penguins-in-earmuffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad