Game Analysis: The Great New Year's Analytics Card Dump

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mika's D isnt anything to write home about but need to remember he's matching up against very teams best. Would like to see how he compares to other top centers in that regard
He used to.

Laviolette doesn't really match. Even Fox and Trouba have equal competition now, after Gallant basically tried to kill Fox and gave Trouba the easiest job in the league. Lo and behold, Fox isn't really any better facing weaker competition and Trouba honestly isn't much worse, because QoC and $2.90 gets you on the bus, but that's a conversation for another day.

The main takeaway I have with Zibanejad, regardless, is that it's not ES defense that he's getting hit for. EH rates him only slightly higher than the plauge on the PK. I don't know, special teams analytics are weird, but that's what it says.

As far as 5v5 goes, Zibanejad is doing a pretty good job considering has to lug around Wheeler who couldn't defend a child even in his prime, and I'll take QoT over QoC any day.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@Machinehead do we have a card for Zac Jones or not enough games?
He has partial data like Brodzinski.

download (63).png

And it sucks.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Laviolette's system doesn't allow well for excellent defensive analytics. His teams get tons of chances on offense but give up a lot as well. Lots of odd man chances against as well. If the team doesn't get good goaltending games like last night are rather common. That's what did him in while he was in Philly and Washington.

Rinne was all world the year Nashville went to the Cup Finals. This team will go as far as Igor and Quick will take them.

Stylistically Laviolette is still a good fit for this core group of players. This team doesn't have the horses to six goalie system or 1-3-1 teams into submission.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad