The Great John Hayden Debate (& other ex-Hawks): Volume 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No they didn’t. Plenty of people thought Joker could easily be a viable second pairing defenseman. He had definitely shown flashes of being very good.

Eh... I've always thought that Joker would be an average middle pairing guy(maybe slightly above average), at best, if he ever reached his ceiling. And most my predictions for him were, and still are, as a good bottom pairing guy. I'd rather have the higher ceiling of Nylander.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Eh... I've always thought that Joker would be an average middle-pairing guy, at best, if he ever reached his ceiling. And most my predictions for him were, and still are, as a good bottom-pairing guy.
With ya here.
Joki is all floor and no ceiling.
Not a bad pick at #29 though. You could certainly do worse.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Revisionist history going on here. I think a lot of us were expecting Jokiharju to comfortably be a #4. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't he have a GREAT WJC tournament and then looked really good in his first 15 or so games as a Hawks? There wasn't a Boqvist or Dach level of excitement around him but he was looking like a sure thing to be at the very least a bottom-pairing guy and pretty likely to be a good #4 DD.

He was traded for Nylander who was a #9 pick and struggling with his development. Stan thought he was trading from a position of strength (D prospects) to balance out our lack of higher-end forward prospects.

Lot of the reason for why I think people were upset with the trade is at the time because it seemed like we were trading more of a sure thing for Nylander, who had much bigger question marks. And still very much has those question marks. Maybe Stan & Co realized Jokiharju's ceiling was lower than they initially thought and they wanted to trade him while his value was still high though.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
For those that want to point out the -7 to attack Joker

He isn't even in top 10 of team in -

D Rasmus Dahlin -24
LW Taylor Hall -17
C/LW Sam Reinhart -16
C Eric Staal -15
D Colin Miller -14
D Brandon Montour -12
D Rasmus Ristolainen -10
C Jack Eichel -9
LW Jeff Skinner -8

Infact only 2 regulars on Sabres are even or +

Riley Sheahan = Even in 25 games
D Jake McCabe = +2 in 13 games

Also ,,, Hall + Skinner + Eichel have a combined 5 goals

That trio has $27M cap hit = 5 goals!!!!!!!

That team is awful in every aspect on and off the ice

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
For those that want to point out the -7 to attack Joker

He isn't even in top 10 of team in -

D Rasmus Dahlin -24
LW Taylor Hall -17
C/LW Sam Reinhart -16
C Eric Staal -15
D Colin Miller -14
D Brandon Montour -12
D Rasmus Ristolainen -10
C Jack Eichel -9
LW Jeff Skinner -8

Infact only 2 regulars on Sabres are even or +

Riley Sheahan = Even in 25 games
D Jake McCabe = +2 in 13 games

Also ,,, Hall + Skinner + Eichel have a combined 5 goals

That trio has $27M cap hit = 5 goals!!!!!!!

That team is awful in every aspect on and off the ice

They need to burn the entire organization to the ground.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
As I said, I do feel bad for him. Staying a Hawk would have been much better for his long-term development. That said, I still have hope Nylander will have a break out season next year.

Might still be a Hawk if he didn't complain to the media after the org sent him down to RFD after JC was hired...

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Might still be a Hawk if he didn't complain to the media after the org sent him down to RFD after JC was hired...

Nah. I think the bigger issue was they had depth in D prospects and wanted to bolster the forward group and he was not expansion draft exempt. I don't think the Hawks are the kind of team that would trade a prospect for a couple of comments to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad