The Great John Hayden Debate (& other ex-Hawks): Volume 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Tyler Motte is an underrated throw in during that terrible Panarin deal. Tyler Motte is a very very solid 4th liner in this league and he would have been very useful on this team.

I agree, but he wasn't getting played here at the time.

At some point, you can't blame Stan for moving assets that he's getting no value out of because he's coach refuses to play them. He's better off getting something worse his coach will play versus having something better sitting in the press box.

It's the same reason while the whole Daley trade saga, while infuriating, isn't something I put at Stan's feet. He was put over a barrel by his coach. He had to make the calculus of 'worse player that actually gets played vs better player that doesn't'.

Unless he's willing to move one from his coach.... which he didn't have the leverage for until a 1st round sweep followed up by missed playoffs and slow start the following year.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
This team isn’t bad because we don’t have solid fourth liners.
Wasn’t said because we would be better because of just him, but just making a comment because he was given away in the Panarin trade that was also bad.

there’s been a lot of players we’ve thrown away that if they were the depth pieces, we’d be a lot better. But in reality we weren’t good enough because of the top guys so it’s neither here nor there.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
What is the surgery Lehner is undergoing? I saw a tweet somewhere that said it was minor and he would be fine for camp.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

At some point, you can't blame Stan for moving assets that he's getting no value out of because he's coach refuses to play them. He's better off getting something worse his coach will play versus having something better sitting in the press box.

It's the same reason while the whole Daley trade saga, while infuriating, isn't something I put at Stan's feet. He was put over a barrel by his coach. He had to make the calculus of 'worse player that actually gets played vs better player that doesn't'.

Unless he's willing to move one from his coach.... which he didn't have the leverage for until a 1st round sweep followed up by missed playoffs and slow start the following year.

Trevor Daley was not a good player. He drowned in possession his entire career. Ironically, his best corsi rating was with CHI (granted it was for only 29 games, and it was the lowest usage of his career in terms of TOI).

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Here's a list of our three most recent Cup winning players

CHI Kane 10 13 15
CHI Toews 10 13 15
retired Bickell 10 13 15
retired Sharp 10 13 15
retired Hossa 10 13 15
CHI Shaw 13 15
COL Saad 13 15
UFA Kruger 13 15 Europe
retired Bolland 10 13
retired Versteeg 10 15
NYI Ladd 10
CGY Nordstrom 15
CAR Teravainen 15
UFA Brouwer 10
UFA Byfuglien 10
UFA Frolik 13
UFA Smith 13 Europe
UFA Stalberg 13 Europe
retired Bollig 13
retired Burish 10
retired Carcillo 13
retired Desjardins 15
retired Eager 10
retired Fraser 10
retired Handzus 13
retired Kopecky 10
retired Madden 10
retired Richards 15
retired Vermette 15

CHI Keith 10 13 15
CHI Seabrook 10 13 15
ARI Hjalmarsson 10 13 15
retired Oduya 13 15
retired Rozsival 13 15
NYI Leddy 13
WAS van Riemsdyk 15
UFA Rundblad 15 Europe
retired Boynton 10
retired Brookbank 13
retired Campbell 10
retired Cumiskey 15
retired Hendry 10
retired Sopel 10
retired Timonen 15

NJ Crawford 13 15
UFA Darling 15
retired RIP Emery 13
retired Huet 10
retired Niemi 10

49 players in total...13 are still NHLers...

Reactions: Muffinalt

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

As far as I'm concerned the Daley situation perfectly illustrated the organizational dysfunction. One would think that a GM and coach would agree on acquiring a player before it went down but Q showed very early that he wasn't going to give Daley the time of day.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Daley was our #5 Dman because he was just that

Q utilized him in proper role and minutes

Q was more then fine playing Daley in that role ,, It was Daley who asked to be traded and it was Stanley who caved into his demands

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Daley was a LHD who played primary RD. Rutherford noted that in what he saw in him when making the trade. He hit the net worse than Keith here, but maybe playing LD had a factor there too.

I dont expect a GM and coach to be on the same page on a trade acquisition, especially when they can have to happen quick to remove a high cap player.

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
As far as I'm concerned the Daley situation perfectly illustrated the organizational dysfunction. One would think that a GM and coach would agree on acquiring a player before it went down but Q showed very early that he wasn't going to give Daley the time of day.

My recollection is Daley was simply bad here. That he asked to be traded from the defending Cup champions so quickly, without knowing in advance he'd land so softly in Pittsburgh, speaks a lot to his lack of desire or ability to work through a tough situation. I wasn't a fan of acquiring him to begin with, but trading him away for Scuderi and his eventual dead cap hit was an even worse move. We would have been better off just releasing him.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
My recollection is Daley was simply bad here. That he asked to be traded from the defending Cup champions so quickly, without knowing in advance he'd land so softly in Pittsburgh, speaks a lot to his lack of desire or ability to work through a tough situation. I wasn't a fan of acquiring him to begin with, but trading him away for Scuderi and his eventual dead cap hit was an even worse move. We would have been better off just releasing him.
I just him skating up and passing the puck backwards by way of the boards...not impressive, also that he had as many goals as Sharp the season before the trade...how? I have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad