The Great Fight Debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The only differences between me and some of the other proponents of a more physical team is:

1) I don’t think having a tougher team will prevent cheap shots on B’s players.

2) I’m greedy, I want to get some guys that can score AND beat up the other guys after they cheap shot the B’s players.

I get such a chuckle about some of the posters that imply I like softness or am a “snowflake”. All they need to do is ask Lou or DKH...I am more old school than the vast majority of posters here.

I openly advocate the B’s going after skill players from other teams if a player like Wilson goes after one of theirs.

When Oliver Wahlstrom did that show boat goal in Mini-1-on-1 about 8/9 years ago where he embarrassed the goalie, I told my son (who was watching) if someone ever did that to his goalie and we played them later in the year, I fully expected that he would “explain” to that kid that type of behavior is not going to be tolerated by our team.

I do believe that intimidation can be used to affect the game, but I see it more as a tool on the forecheck that will cause the opposing D to turn the puck over...not as some sort of mythical bubble wrap that’s going to protect B’s players from harm.

Carry on.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don’t want to go over it in great detail again, but if your theory is correct, please explain why a tough, heavy team (WAS) got two star players knocked out of the game on cheap plays in a game vs WPG by two guys who are not continuously dirty players (like a Cooke, Torres, Wilson).

This is a Washington team with most of their roster being 200+ pounds and guys like Orpik, DSP, and Wilson in the lineup.

Thanks

I don’t want to either....I’ve just never been given a good reason as to why you’re right and the myriad NHL players and coaches that disagree with you are wrong.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Tom Sestito was awful.

Why are you even saying these things and not backing anything up. I’ll ask you again, Who’s asking for these players?

You’re legitimately making things up.

I’m suggesting tough players around the AHL that would interest MVPKrejci.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Taking a play out of your buddy fenian’s old playbook. Sorry... I confuse you two a lot. Thought you were the Disney Princess Brigade. That’s his shtick.
I never once said that.

Again, you continually being up people who are advocating for goons. Who has said this?

Can you even name 2-3 “goons” in the NHL today?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I never once said that.

Again, you continually being up people who are advocating for goons. Who has said this?

Can you even name 2-3 “goons” in the NHL today?

So I won’t find any post pining for bringing in a guy like Peluso or Gazdic anywhere on the Bruins forum?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
What I don’t get is Nordstrom threw down last night, Cave went after Bertuzzi and hell, even Rask went after Howard. But the team is soft and they don’t answer the bell.

It’s never good enough :shakehead

They lost that game last night because they were disorganized. There’s no cohesiveness right now.

To paraphrase Rick Pitino “prime Milan Lucic isn’t coming through that door folks, Andrew Ference, Nathan Horton, Sean Thornton, Bruce Shoebottom :laugh: and John Wensink aren’t coming through that door”

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
So I won’t find any post pining for bringing in a guy like Peluso or Gazdic anywhere on the Bruins forum?
Go find it. I mean you keep bringing up this whole goon thing.

Who in this thread has said that we need a one dimensional goon on today’s roster. I see a lot of people saying a guy like Reaves would be nice. Does he classify as a goon? I see people saying Josh Anderson and Wayne Simmonds would be nice.

I can’t, however remember anyone recently saying that the Bruins need a Tom Sestito.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

You can save everyone time and just pick me.....

I’d take a run of the mill 1990 - 2005 goon over Acciari right now.

Boogaard, Sestito, Orr, Frigging Troy Crowder too.

Can’t imagine that Acciari’s “production” would be missed and those guys would at least be entertaining.

Now, does that mean I truly want one of those guys here?

The answer is no, because if they are here....similar to Acciari, that means the team is going nowhere,

Would I like a ten year younger version of Looch, Getzlaf, etc.?

Absolutely, and I wouldn’t bat an eye if they cost 2 of Bjork, Heinen, JFK, plus a pick.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Go find it. I mean you keep bringing up this whole goon thing.

Who in this thread has said that we need a one dimensional goon on today’s roster. I see a lot of people saying a guy like Reaves would be nice. Does he classify as a goon? I see people saying Josh Anderson and Wayne Simmonds would be nice.

I can’t, however remember anyone recently saying that the Bruins need a Tom Sestito.

What is my time frame? Also, nothing specifically in this thread, but in the last year you have a poster (I will not specifically name) saying:

1.) They can leave Peluso here for Czarnik.

2.) I clone them (Gazdic being one of them) and give one to every team to try and bring some passion and excitement back in the game.

So...Nothing specifically in THIS THREAD but in the past year, posters still pining for no skill goons.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Guys must be stoked to stomp into the garden, toss around heavy hits and wonder which non fighter they’ll have to answer to.
I think it's more that guys are stoked to be playing against a team that they can beat.

Most NHL players care more about scoring more goals than their opponents and not stomping people into the ground. The issue is the quality of the team.

Teams don't like playing the Leafs right now because those teams are really good. Meanwhile those vaunted Ryan Reeves/William Carrier VGK that everyone is terrified to play would be outside the playoffs.

Keep your eyes on the prize.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think it's more that guys are stoked to be playing against a team that they can beat.

Most NHL players care more about scoring more goals than their opponents and not stomping people into the ground. The issue is the quality of the team.

Teams don't like playing the Leafs right now because those teams are really good. Meanwhile those vaunted Ryan Reeves/William Carrier VGK that everyone is terrified to play would be outside the playoffs.

Keep your eyes on the prize.
Vegas isn’t the playoffs because they don’t really have any high end talent. Ryan Reaves isn’t the reason they’re not in a playoff spot.

Would you agree that the garden isn’t a tough place to play these days? Sure doesn’t seem like it.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don’t want to either....I’ve just never been given a good reason as to why you’re right and the myriad NHL players and coaches that disagree with you are wrong.
Because actual evidence indicates they are. Opinions, even "expert ones" can be wrong. There are a number of reasons for this. I don't completely discount their feelings, but I weigh it against observable facts and draw my own conclusions.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
What is my time frame? Also, nothing specifically in this thread, but in the last year you have a poster (I will not specifically name) saying:

1.) They can leave Peluso here for Czarnik.

2.) I clone them (Gazdic being one of them) and give one to every team to try and bring some passion and excitement back in the game.

So...Nothing specifically in THIS THREAD but in the past year, posters still pining for no skill goons.
Seems like you’re kind of grasping at straws. So no one has mentioned bringing in a no skill goon this season?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
You can save everyone time and just pick me.....

I’d take a run of the mill 1990 - 2005 goon over Acciari right now.

Boogaard, Sestito, Orr, Frigging Troy Crowder too.

Can’t imagine that Acciari’s “production” would be missed and those guys would at least be entertaining.

Now, does that mean I truly want one of those guys here?

The answer is no, because if they are here....similar to Acciari, that means the team is going nowhere,

Would I like a ten year younger version of Looch, Getzlaf, etc.?

Absolutely, and I wouldn’t bat an eye if they cost 2 of Bjork, Heinen, JFK, plus a pick.

I would take: Reaves or Kassian in Acciari's place of the lineup 12x10.

I would take a younger version of Lucic, Getzlaf, Simmonds, or anyone of this ilk for 2 of those guys as well 12x10.

I love fighting in hockey, I love hitting and tough play.

I find the instigator rule. The shield rule. The rule where defenseman can't come below the hash marks if a scrum is ensuing behind the net. All f***ing ridiculous and stupid.

I scream at my TV when the linesman jump in there and don't let them go. I also secretly hope they take a couple across the chin for their stupidity.

I'm not happy with where the game is going. I want fighting to stay. I want it back like it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad