Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, The Domi... That's a Paddlin': Sabres 9 - Leafs 3

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
at this point i would take 10 first round exits for some continued (regular season) success. What the Sabres do year after year is worse.
:laugh:

Would you rather be the Sabres, with the stockpile of youth and potential?

Or the Leafs? Who have consistently shown they don't have the heart to compete? And all those stars locked into contracts?

I don't see an easy out for the Leafs.
It seems @Der Jaeger was talking about the future, which is a much more interesting question.

I would be so tired of watching the same core get abused in the playoffs and give half ass efforts to inferior teams during the regular season year in and year out. Their core isn't a likeable bunch at all. We would be ROASTING them on these boards, and it'd be going on, what? 5 or 6 years now?

I also don't trust the Leafs GM at all. His offseason was ASS. I highly doubt he'll be the one to smooth over the flaws of that roster. He put toughness over everything this past offseason, which sounds nice, but the issue is he neutered a solid defensive team in the process. They're a worse team this year compared to last year.

At this point, I may take the potential of the Sabres over the almost certainty of what the Leafs are going to be for the next 5 years. Unless they can completely revamp that defense (which includes finding a minute eating #1), find a #1 goalie, and find forwards who are committed defensively *cough* not the Domis and Bertuzzis of the world*, then they're likely to sputter in the early rounds of the playoffs.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I mean it’s not hard to figure out. Teams with historically long playoff droughts are typically poorly ran.
I get that. But he was cognizant of the fact that the team itself is not ECHL level talent wise. He needed to focus on something to magnify the loss so he chose management.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Really weird framing by that X account. He said one thing about the Sabres in an almost 3!min clip. That they’re one of the worst run teams in pro sports. But spends the bulk of the clip complaining about the Leafs.

Based on how they framed it, you would have thought he went off with a long breakdown on the Sabres for the entire clip.

Pure clickbait nonsense

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It seems @Der Jaeger was talking about the future, which is a much more interesting question.

I would be so tired of watching the same core get abused in the playoffs and give half ass efforts to inferior teams during the regular season year in and year out. Their core isn't a likeable bunch at all. We would be ROASTING them on these boards, and it'd be going on, what? 5 or 6 years now?

I also don't trust the Leafs GM at all. His offseason was ASS. I highly doubt he'll be the one to smooth over the flaws of that roster. He put toughness over everything this past offseason, which sounds nice, but the issue is he neutered a solid defensive team in the process. They're a worse team this year compared to last year.

At this point, I may take the potential of the Sabres over the almost certainty of what the Leafs are going to be for the next 5 years. Unless they can completely revamp that defense (which includes finding a minute eating #1), find a #1 goalie, and find forwards who are committed defensively *cough* not the Domis and Bertuzzis of the world*, then they're likely to sputter in the early rounds of the playoffs.
Thanks

My perspective: if you were an established GM or coach out of work, and just looking at the players and prospects, which would you take on?

The Sabres are more potential than anything. I think the Leafs would be a tougher retool.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Here is Tage feasting on the Leafs:
FB_IMG_1683773959705.jpg

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Granato is soooo wired to be a developmental coach that he was willing to stick with a new system that clearly wasn't working, or going to work, all the way until playoffs were out of reach and the season was lost. All in the vain attempt of developing this roster into a team that it isn't capable of being.

At least maybe Granato developed a little as a HC the last month or so. I don't think anyone else developed.
This is because Adams isn't finished the rebuild. It was only the players who's goal was it to make the playoffs, Adams never even mentioned the word all preseason. He is the reason it was ok for Donny to try and implement the system because he was safe from Adams and probably had Adams ok.

I've largely liked Adams but his unwillingness to sell prospects for young proven NHL studs is what is holding this team back. He needed to go out and platoon the current team with proven NHLers under 30 but to him this is another building year.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don’t care for the fans chanting that at Don. I think he deserves some respect. But if that’s what it takes for these guys to make changes, oh well.
He either is not able to compel these players to play 'the right way' or he is sending them out there in a system that is impossible for them to find success. Either scenario, that is within his control and failure is on him. While I do recognize roster issues, he's not getting the most out of the roster he has.

Booing, chanting, voicing displeasure... it's all included in the price of admission. Fans are going to get their money's worth good or bad. These players are big boys and need to know this comes with the territory. Granato knows this comes with the territory.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
No problem at all with fans chanting either way, calling out a coach or player on their own team or opponent. If fan didn't chant you likely live in a crappy market where no one gives a damn how the team does. People boo and chant because they care.

We'll see what happens but the whole team needs to stay angry, make coming to play against them at home like walking into a beehive. Use the 2019 Blues as motivation. They did it, why not us? Plenty of time to right the ship, only 7 points behind Florida and Toronto and we just handled them. Who knows, maybe management will get their heads out of their lower digestive tracts and bring in some real help at the trade deadline. A veteran goalie should be high on their list, we're way too inexperienced there.

Just my ramblings and I won't hold my breath but that's how I'm hoping they play this.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is because Adams isn't finished the rebuild. It was only the players who's goal was it to make the playoffs, Adams never even mentioned the word all preseason. He is the reason it was ok for Donny to try and implement the system because he was safe from Adams and probably had Adams ok.

I've largely liked Adams but his unwillingness to sell prospects for young proven NHL studs is what is holding this team back. He needed to go out and platoon the current team with proven NHLers under 30 but to him this is another building year.

Adams said the "p" word in his year end press conferences and again over the summer. Hell, he even said they want to win the large shiny chalice.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Adams said the "p" word in his year end press conferences and again over the summer. Hell, he even said they want to win the large shiny chalice.
I don't remember him mentioning it once, then again his inaction to make meaningful changes to bolster our chances says the opposite.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Pace? He chanted that like Buddhist monk when heard Quinn was back.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Have they even really been any better defensively this year, by any metric?

If the choice is between scoring and fun but maybe having some defensive issues, and not scoring and boring while... still having some defensive issues.... YES please give me the scoring Donnie!

What a frustrating tweet about a frustrating team...

------------
But yay a win I guess. Did we control play as much as the score seems? I dozed off unfortunately. Watched vids of the goals and many seemed very saveable had their been a replacement level goalie in net.
They have not been better defensively. Nearly identical to last year.

All situations xGA/60 of 3.29 last year, xGA/60 3.3 this year. Pair that with a drop of 0.31 xGF/60

I guess you could argue that they are actually playing better defensively because the time on ice they spend on defense has gone up so much compared to last year because their offense has shriveled up and died.

Our stats were ordinary vs Toronto. The 9 goals were mostly on their atrocious goal tending. Sabres didn't do anything special.

xGF 3.1 Sabres vs 2.15 Toronto

1703302189699.png

Attachments

• 1703302149690.png
    1703302149690.png
    324.8 KB · Views: 1

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
My bad thought we were discussing Donnie Gs infatuation with “pace”, the euphemism for fire wagon hockey. I’ll show myself out.
I wouldn't call it fire wagon since when it works, it works well. But the structure can't have ANY disruptions. It's quick strike, and if the Sabres can't move through the neutral zone, or gain the ozone with possession, the game falls apart a bit. Forget about having to play in their own end against a competent forecheck.

Last edited:

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

So it’s our fault? Damn it, who was in charge of that chant? Why wasn’t it earlier in the year? They need to be fired!!!!

Getting absolutely embarrassed by a shit team wasn’t enough motivation but fans being credibly pissed about being swindled irritated the boys enough to finally play for the coach. Idk maybe it’s a language barrier thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad