Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, The Domi... That's a Paddlin': Sabres 9 - Leafs 3

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Granato is soooo wired to be a developmental coach that he was willing to stick with a new system that clearly wasn't working, or going to work, all the way until playoffs were out of reach and the season was lost. All in the vain attempt of developing this roster into a team that it isn't capable of being.

At least maybe Granato developed a little as a HC the last month or so. I don't think anyone else developed.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I mean, it’s obvious what needs to be done but can these players do it?

Absolutely attack when we have the puck.

When we don’t all have to commit to getting their asses back and playing defense to get the puck back.

Easier said than done when you play an attacking style but I believe it’s what they need to do. Commit as hard to defending as you do to attacking. It will at the very least stop some 2 on 1’s to becoming 3 or 4 on 1’s.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Good
Nice win

Bad
the flu. Leafs recovering from it

Ugly
The Sabres not .500 yet
The Sabres not in playoff contention

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
They waited until they were basically out of the playoffs barring a big run to make this sort of change? I would have done it way sooner. The run and gun style missed the playoffs by 1 point last year.

Personally I don't buy it. The Leafs looked awful. Sabres have a track record of these types of games against teams that don't show up. That is when their talent comes out.

That said, they finally have 4 NHL lines for probably the first time this season.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Personally I don't buy it. The Leafs looked awful. Sabres have a track record of these types of games against teams that don't show up. That is when their talent comes out.

That said, they finally have 4 NHL lines for probably the first time this season.
This whole season has been up and down and an inability to string together multiple good games in a row.

So, last night was fun. BUt, if this team is serious about playing for Granato, they need to start stringing together a bunch of these games in a row and not continue the L-W-L-W-L-L roller coaster that this season has been.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If we played the Leafs for 82 games a year, we would've broke the playoff drought two years ago. Let's see how they do against literally any other team.

I will say, I do enjoy having the Leafs number over the past few years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Granato is soooo wired to be a developmental coach that he was willing to stick with a new system that clearly wasn't working, or going to work, all the way until playoffs were out of reach and the season was lost. All in the vain attempt of developing this roster into a team that it isn't capable of being.

At least maybe Granato developed a little as a HC the last month or so. I don't think anyone else developed.
You can't win a cup playing 2022 style Sabres, sooner or later they need to figure out how to mesh the 2022 with a more well balanced style. You can definitely make the playoffs this way though. This will get them out of their heads and have more fun too which always helps. Hopefully players are feeling it moving forward and the offense stays hot.

Reactions: stealth1

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
You can't win a cup playing 2022 style Sabres, sooner or later they need to figure out how to mesh the 2022 with a more well balanced style. You can definitely make the playoffs this way though. This will get them out of their heads and have more fun too which always helps. Hopefully players are feeling it moving forward and the offense stays hot.
Agreed. I don't hate on them for trying to play a more defensive game. I think they had hoped the guys would have figured it out by now. I don't blame the coach for that. The goal is winning a Cup not just make the playoffs. Like you said you can't win a cup playing run and gun.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The good vibes have subsided. Let’s see them do this against NHL caliber goaltending. Two big challenges with Shesty and Ulmark/ Swayman on deck. They are going to need to be ready from the jump. No more slow starts.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Agreed. I don't hate on them for trying to play a more defensive game. I think they had hoped the guys would have figured it out by now. I don't blame the coach for that. The goal is winning a Cup not just make the playoffs. Like you said you can't win a cup playing run and gun.
They probably can't win a Cup that way, at least not at the current age and stage the roster is at. I also know they would never even make the playoffs with the game they were trying and failing at for two and a half months. The point was that Granato hasn't been getting the best out of the roster, failed to implement a new system in any reasonably timely manner, and waited until playoffs are a lost cause to reconsider. He (and likely Adams in tandem) are stuck on "development" with a glacial pace of "patience", to a fault. I don't see that having a young roster struggle mightily until their collective moral is in the shitter as being very productive or developmental. I'd rather they play to their current strengths, and get better at what they're weak at along the way.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
They probably can't win a Cup that way, at least not at the current age and stage the roster is at. I also know they would never even make the playoffs with the game they were trying and failing at for two and a half months. The point was that Granato hasn't been getting the best out of the roster, failed to implement a new system in any reasonably timely manner, and waited until playoffs are a lost cause to reconsider. He (and likely Adams in tandem) are stuck on "development" with a glacial pace of "patience", to a fault. I don't see that having a young roster struggle mightily until their collective moral is in the shitter as being very productive or developmental. I'd rather they play to their current strengths, and get better at what they're weak at along the way.
A good coach plays to his teams strengths.

You want to play a more methodical structured style in order to win cup.. go get those players.

Work with what ya got.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
This is a common step for most rebuilding teams, and the hardest. It is why the Sabres and sens still suck, Detroit is iffy right now. NJ is now back to the same issues after a great year (may have sorted it out now).

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
A good coach plays to his teams strengths.

You want to play a more methodical structured style in order to win cup.. go get those players.

Work with what ya got.
This is a common step for most rebuilding teams, and the hardest. It is why the Sabres and sens still suck, Detroit is iffy right now. NJ is now back to the same issues after a great year (may have sorted it out now).
And FWIW, I don't know that last night's game was a result of Granato and the team changing direction. Tor played like ass and their goalie was asleep, so I don't really expect any certain turning point here in the next couple games. Maybe the players are going to have some renewed sense of urgency to keep Granato as the HC, but Donnie's words last night after the game about going back to how they played last season is what I'm more commenting on. It's all well and good to think they need to play a different game at some point to be a successful playoff team, but when they fail miserably at what Granato tried to start the season with, it was time to reassess at game 10...not game 34, ffs.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
And FWIW, I don't know that last night's game was a result of Granato and the team changing direction. Tor played like ass and their goalie was asleep, so I don't really expect any certain turning point here in the next couple games. Maybe the players are going to have some renewed sense of urgency to keep Granato as the HC, but Donnie's words last night after the game about going back to how they played last season is what I'm more commenting on. It's all well and good to think they need to play a different game at some point to be a successful playoff team, but when they fail miserably at what Granato tried to start the season with, it was time to reassess at game 10...not game 34, ffs.
Yeah it is a late pivot. This team is also amazing at making backups look like Hasek. Should find out quickly what carries over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad