GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Winning! 1.18.21

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
So are these fines taken into consideration on future decisions on suspensions? Is it like getting points on your drivers license? I imagine they eventually suspend you if these keep piling up.
"A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension.
It is important to note that even if a Player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future Supplemental Discipline."
Department of Player Safety FAQs
"maybe, probably not, we'll let you know"
Not exactly related to fines, but that's the feel of it

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
That's not accurate.

Risto has been playing well since the first game.

McCabe/Risto in game one vs Caps
CF% —-> 59%
SCF% —>88% (7 for/1 against)
HDCF% -> 100% (3 for/0 against)
GF% ——> 100% (2 for/0 against)
xGF% —-> 72%

That stat line can’t happen if Risto was playing bad.

It took him playing 3 good games and Sabres blowout win for him to start getting recognized for his good play. But all it took to get piled on in during the first game was getting stuck on the ice for that really crappy sequence from Montour. Which lead to goal against in game one. It wasn’t Risto’s fault but he starts getting piled on anyway and its continues the rest of that GDT.

Risto frequently can’t get a fair shake on this forum. That sentiment isn’t directed at you. Its a forum wide thing with a small example of it being the amount of posters agreeing with your take that he play bad in game one (based on the likes your post got)

Risto was on the ice for the first 2 goals against in game 1 against Wash. He looked lost. It was his normal bad defense. Then he woke up and has been playing well since then so you can probably say that Risto has been playing well since the end of the first period of game 1.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Great game! I only get the nationally televised games and those are usually embarrassing for the Sabres so this was a wonderful change of pace.

G:
Hall-Eichel-Reinhart was dominate
VO's shot is electric
Risto was beast mode
I liked Reider's hustle and speed
I thought Eakin played his role quite well
Lazar played a very nice game as well
The shot NBCSN had of Gritty tapping his feet waiting for something cheer worthy to happen. *chef's kiss*.

B:
The Flyers

U:
Rod Brind'Amour
Scott Ricci
EDIT: Intending to say MIKE Ricci and instead pulling former Amerk Scott Ricci from memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: cybresabre

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Risto was on the ice for the first 2 goals against in game 1 against Wash. He looked lost. It was his normal bad defense. Then he woke up and has been playing well since then so you can probably say that Risto has been playing well since the end of the first period of game 1.
Being on the ice for a goal isn't some automatic knock. That first goal IIRC there was an issue in front of the net that the pair can take responsibility for but the other goal you can't fault him on at all.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You’re helping me make my point. That first goal wasn’t on Risto. But he was on the ice so you feel it had to be on him.

@Fezzy126 post in the first GBU deals with this well.

Oh, one last bad...

An entire page or two of the GDT was filled with complaints about Risto after this play:

Really, this was Risto's fault? :huh:

Posters incorrectly blamed Risto for that goal and he was, as Fezzy points out, beaten up for a couple pages of the GDT after that.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Watched on DVR this AM.

This does not sound promising. At all. I gotta think it's something to do either with his own long-term health (akin to Josh Harding diagnosed with MS) or an immediate family member's long-term health.
Family member health / diagnosis, or perhaps a vehicular accident, etc., involving a family member.

The game was awesome. Total domination through discipline. I hope it lasts. When we’ve seen glimpses of play like this over the past few years it’s typically followed by a week of straight dogshit. So, fingers crossed.
Indeed.

As a nitpicker I don't have a single bad thing to say. That was awesome.
I'll heap praise on the entire team effort. Broke out as a unit. Positioning and spacing was excellent. Gained the zone / attacked as a unit. The best cycling I've seen in years. Back-checked as a unit, supported their D in their own zone as a unit. Hutton had very few follow-up shots and no need for uncontrolled scrambles.

To me, it's completely obvious. Seeing 20, 15, 13 getting back in the defensive zone so quickly. I know Eakin has been rather anonymous the first few games, but he's always getting back into position. Rieder and Sheahan are soooo good defensively right now.

Really, the only forwards who have been continually sketchy getting back are the "big guns" -- Hall, Eichel and Skinner......but that's completely understandable. And I think it'll just take time between Hall and Eichel to figure out which one of them is more defensive and which one of them is ready for the breakout.

As an aside -- Olofsson looks noticeably more quick out there. He'll never be a speedster a la Eichel or Hall.......but it sure looks to me like he's gained a step.
If we're going to nit pick, then:

I disagree with impugning Skinner. He was good in all three zones last night, IMO. That said, rather than promote him up the lines as previous threads have discussed, I'd leave him with bottom-sixers to add offense to those lines.

However, I agree with Eichel being rather loose in his interpretation of defensive responsibilities. But I'll overlook that. What I won't overlook is (at least) two egregious blind-look backhand passes to areas where no Sabre was heading nor had a chance of reaching. Both turnovers killed Sabres rushes immediately.

Staal looks slow, both on and away from the puck. I'll be focusing on him in future games.

The Flyers effort was minimal, but the Sabres team-unit approach was great to watch. I hope they keep it up.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Sad I missed this one live, glad I taped it and watched after work today though. Great game all around.

Prayers with Ullmark whatever he's got going on, hard to think of much else right now or pull aparts GBU....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad