Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Welcome to our new Krueger overlord!

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
the ugly. Dahlin with less than 16 minutes of ice time

Krueger is either in the clouds, or Dahlin is not the player we think he is. That's Rochester call up level of ice time

Sorry what?

How on earth could it be the second option about dahlin not being the player we think he is because Krueger played him 16 tonight. He’s a kid! He’s 19 years old and playing a position it takes the longest to get accustomed to playing in the sport.

I don’t understand why you think we wouldn’t know what player dahlin is after watching him in every game last year because our New coach played him 4-5 less minutes in the first game he’s coached him in. I’m sorry but there is just no logic to that belief. Ralph didn’t watch dahlin 82 times last year, I’m sure he’s caught up in the video room a huge deal but seriously...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The bigger picture is this wasn't a must win game.
In the grand scheme of things, this win sets the tone. They came into this season with bold predictions that they were going to make the playoffs. Many players have said they bought in, the ones that may have been on the fence will become more convinced with a dominating win. The Sabres came out strong and now have a coach and system to believe in with this win to say this game wasnt important or it wasnt a must win game and didn't set a president for the upcoming season is crazy to me but let's agree to disagree.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I was packing during 1st and listening to the 2nd travelling back to Darien for the Folkfaces Fest. Got to watch the end of the 2nd and the 3rd. Team passing was night and day. Every line and pair looked like a positive. Eichel played great defensively. Some of the usual suspects still stuck out as being overall subpar but their performances were elevated in the context of better team play and systems play. It's just one game, but it's encouraging.

With regards to defensive minutes let's not forget that we have an entire possibly legit 2nd pair out in Pilut and Montour. Penalties played a role as well. That said, coach must really like McCabe given his ice time right after being given the A.

Yes, to get the players to fully buy what Krueger is selling.. it was a must win.
That is crazy talk. If losing the first game would've ruined the team's chances of buying in, they should just fold the franchise.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
That is crazy talk. If losing the first game would've ruined the team's chances of buying in, they should just fold the franchise.
It's happened every year. How many times do u need to hear "we weren't prepared".

Reactions: jc17

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Sorry what?

How on earth could it be the second option about dahlin not being the player we think he is because Krueger played him 16 tonight. He’s a kid! He’s 19 years old and playing a position it takes the longest to get accustomed to playing in the sport.

I don’t understand why you think we wouldn’t know what player dahlin is after watching him in every game last year because our New coach played him 4-5 less minutes in the first game he’s coached him in. I’m sorry but there is just no logic to that belief. Ralph didn’t watch dahlin 82 times last year, I’m sure he’s caught up in the video room a huge deal but seriously...

Myers was playing 25+ a night at Dahlin's age and was thriving on a team that won the division.

Dahlin should easily be over 20 minutes now. Not sure if he wasn't impressive in practice or anything, as his in game performance, especially the goal, certainly warranted far more than #6 defenseman minutes

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's happened every year. How many times do u need to hear "we weren't prepared".
That is ridiculously unprovable. The Sabres topped the standings at one point last season. I doubt at that point the result of the first game factored in to whether or not players were buying I .

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I was packing during 1st and listening to the 2nd travelling back to Darien for the Folkfaces Fest. Got to watch the end of the 2nd and the 3rd. Team passing was night and day. Every line and pair looked like a positive. Eichel played great defensively. Some of the usual suspects still stuck out as being overall subpar but their performances were elevated in the context of better team play and systems play. It's just one game, but it's encouraging.

With regards to defensive minutes let's not forget that we have an entire possibly legit 2nd pair out in Pilut and Montour. Penalties played a role as well. That said, coach must really like McCabe given his ice time right after being given the A.

You sadly don’t understand what we’re saying. We’re talking about something more powerful then the standings we’re talking about our subconscious and how everything you do both positive and negative in life has an effect on your mind. On how you go forward with things.

Seriously how amazing is it that people can’t understand the importance of a fresh start with a new coach? We’re not saying everything is roses and butterflies and we’re not saying they’re doomed if they would of losses. We’re talking about the psyche. I’m done clearing up something that quite frankly shouldn’t need to be cleared up.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Myers was playing 25+ a night at Dahlin's age and was thriving on a team that won the division.

Dahlin should easily be over 20 minutes now. Not sure if he wasn't impressive in practice or anything, as his in game performance, especially the goal, certainly warranted far more than #6 defenseman minutes
This isn't even a small sample size. It was one game. Situations impact ice time massively. I can't believe how many people are going on about various aspects of how ice time was divvied out over a single game, much less it being the season opener.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You sadly don’t understand what we’re saying. We’re talking about something more powerful then the standings we’re talking about our subconscious and how everything you do both positive and negative in life has an effect on your mind. On how you go forward with things.

Seriously how amazing is it that people can’t understand the importance of a fresh start with a new coach? We’re not saying everything is roses and butterflies and we’re not saying they’re doomed if they would of losses. We’re talking about the psyche. I’m done clearing up something that quite frankly shouldn’t need to be cleared up.
There are 82 games. Think on that for a second while you're washing your hands of this conversation. It's great for the cause to get results out of the gate, but if you genuinely believe that had they lost the players would've been shaken in whatever their previously-held beliefs of coach were, I'd question whether you've actually followedan NHL season before.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX

I am not even sure how such a hot take can come to fruition in a human mind.

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
That is ridiculously unprovable. The Sabres topped the standings at one point last season. I doubt at that point the result of the first game factored in to whether or not players were buying I .
Was the win streak the team buying in? Sure the goalies bought in, only reason we went on a 10 game win streak. Everyone knows every game was won by one goal and many of them we should have lost. I can understand why you thought the win streak was good hockey because we haven't had anything that exciting in decades. I still remember being attacked for telling people how it was with Housley and the team, this team looks nothing like Housley's team. This team looks like they think they can win and winning strong like they did helps reinforce that idea.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
That was great, passing was more accurate and the Pens made them look even better tonight. The mood shift from this weekend to during the game is something else--strap on your seatbelts.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
This game marks the begin of the suck for the Pens. We did well, but I am not shocked (put money on us as I expected Pens to be that bad). Lets Lee how we do against better opposition, the Atlantic is full of stacked teams, lots of great games to look forward to. Special props to Sheary for scoring 2 goals as Im usually the first to shot on him. Also really impressed with the D tonight despite missing two good players there. What a difference a competent coach makes compared to the baffoon.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
This isn't even a small sample size. It was one game. Situations impact ice time massively. I can't believe how many people are going on about various aspects of how ice time was divvied out over a single game, much less it being the season opener.

This. I think Krueger will lean on Dahlin more as the season goes along, but the ice time allotment worked tonight. When we were up and other guys weren't making huge mistakes- Dahlin is great, but he's still 19 and prone to occasional major mistakes. How bad would it suck if one went the other way and turned the momentum in the first game? Krueger could afford to shelter him a bit first game, and he did. Dahlin was put in comfortable situations, he didn't do anything wrong, and he used his talent to score on the one big opportunity that presented itself. We won, advanced stats looked great, team look looked great, I'm not gonna worry about ice time for one game if all that is good.

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

They did a nice piece on nbcsn about how the blues changed coaches mid season then went on a 4 game losing streak. Crippled them as a team I think, emotionally no recovering from that.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
They did a nice piece on nbcsn about how the blues changed coaches mid season then went on a 4 game losing streak. Crippled them as a team I think, emotionally no recovering from that.

There’s exceptions to every rule and go figure that coach had so much to do with that run.

That’s mid season, too, and again can be looked at as an exception.

I don’t for the life of me have any idea why SOME people are having such a hard time grasping why a fresh start starting fresh is important? And don’t use “because it’s one game” pretty sure I’ve mentioned that in every post and not once went overboard with my analysis or expectation. I never stated it was a must win from a standings standpoint even if game one counts as much as eighty two, but I did from a morale Viewpoint. In my opinion if you are that closed minded as an individual if you don’t think of the mental aspect of the guys in the room (I’ve travelled and worked for junior pro teams and you wouldn’t believe how much stock goes into morale and preparation) and how everything effects the game.

As long as Confidence and first impressions continually prove to be crucial and critical In Humans then openers for every season will always matter to morale, unless the fans who literally booed buffalo off the ice and people who ripped the team on here after last years opener are all hypocrites? and that wasn’t even with a new coach! (This is thus its more important) case in point if we had a new coach last year those boos would of even been louder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisent42

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
There’s exceptions to every rule and go figure that coach had so much to do with that run.

That’s mid season, too, and again can be looked at as an exception.

I don’t for the life of me have any idea why SOME people are having such a hard time grasping why a fresh start starting fresh is important? And don’t use “because it’s one game” pretty sure I’ve mentioned that in every post and not once went overboard with my analysis or expectation. I never stated it was a must win from a standings standpoint even if game one counts as much as eighty two, but I did from a morale Viewpoint. In my opinion if you are that closed minded as an individual if you don’t think of the mental aspect of the guys in the room (I’ve travelled and worked for junior pro teams and you wouldn’t believe how much stock goes into morale and preparation) and how everything effects the game.

As long as Confidence and first impressions continually prove to be crucial and critical In Humans then openers for every season will always matter to morale, unless the fans who literally booed buffalo off the ice and people who ripped the team on here after last years opener are all hypocrites? and that wasn’t even with a new coach! (This is thus its more important) case in point if we had a new coach last year those boos would of even been louder.
Switch to decaf

And btw, half this board has worked for, or played for. It doesn’t mean much.

If everything that disagrees with your point is an exception, it’s not much of a point. Just like this moral win won’t mean a damn thing if they fall apart against jersey. Nor would a crushing loss have mattered if they won the next 5. They played a game, 81 to go.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Cant remember the last time they dominated the first period like that. They'd always come out flat under Housley.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Was the win streak the team buying in? Sure the goalies bought in, only reason we went on a 10 game win streak. Everyone knows every game was won by one goal and many of them we should have lost. I can understand why you thought the win streak was good hockey because we haven't had anything that exciting in decades. I still remember being attacked for telling people how it was with Housley and the team, this team looks nothing like Housley's team. This team looks like they think they can win and winning strong like they did helps reinforce that idea.
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying they bought in during the streak. I'm saying they didn't not buy in during the best stretch, results-wise, of nearly the past decade just because they lost the opening game twice under Housley. If coach is reaching them with his message then that wouldn't have changed if they lost to the team that just won back-to-nack chips before last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad