Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Welcome to our new Krueger overlord!

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Good:
They pretty much dominated.
Eichel - He was defensively engaged all night, cleanly stripping pucks, winning battles, deflecting passes on the PK and ended the night 56% at the dot, mostly against Crosby. Extra points for popping Hornqvist. If this sets the tone for how he'll play from now on, I'll be ecstatic.
Reinhart - I'd agree that he, along with Johansson, were the most noticeably good forwards in all three zones. He was a nuisance in the crease all night and made the nifty pass on the give and go with Dahlin for the dagger goal.
Olofsson - He's clearly more than just his laser release and looks to be a well-rounded player who won't hurt you defensively, extremely polished. Nice to see him pick up where he left off instead of giving everyone blue balls.
Johansson - It's just plainly obvious he's been an effective player for good teams for most of his career. I'm left impressed with his puck carrying and overall instincts. Credit to him and his wingers for making Malkin look stupid on multiple occasions. MoJo and Skinner should be a good match moving forward.
Mittelstadt - Nice read on the forecheck and quick pass which lead to Sheary's first goal. Not sure if his assist on the second goal was entirely intentional, but he still made a play on the puck in high traffic. It's that same kind of subtlety that makes Reinhart great.
Miller - Wow, an NHL defenseman! I'm glad he's paired with Dahlin given his vanilla play style.

Bad:
Hornqvist
Letang

Ugh:
Refs
Amazing what happens when you slow cook prospects!

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
They reminded me of the Islanders last year, tough team to play.

Sabres fans, time for Sabresmafia, please don't sell your season tickets, support the team and bring home ice back to Buffalo. Another advantage the Isles have is there raucous home crowd.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Is it possible Pittsburgh is that bad? I know Crosby/Malkib/Letang... but other than that?
I think Crosby is still hurt...I didn't hear his name or notice him at all until I started actively searching for him because I wasn't sure he made it into the game. Malkin and Letang are definitely regressing. It's going to be tough times for Pittsburgh for a while.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Who ARE YOU, Ralph Krueger, and what have you done with my Buffalo Sabres?

(will post specific comments later)
edit: I'm back...

Was out researching new refrigerators after ours died Wednesday, didn't get home until ~9:30 or so, so watched delayed on DVR.

1. How many games (outside of the streak) were worthy of re-watching last season? This opener certainly is worth re-watching.
2. How many games last season did BUF completely dominate the first 6-10 minutes of a game?
3. How many games did the Sabres play a full 3-periods?
4. How many games did each and every Sabre look good to excellent?

Did anyone notice Crosby? I didn't. That's Jack.
The only time I noticed Crosby was looking down at the ice shaking his head after the whistle.

Lots and lots to like in this game, but mostly I just really enjoyed that for the first time in a long time it looked like there was a plan and team was committed to executing it. As bad as we've been the last few years, our good players have still managed a lot of great individual efforts. That was the embodiment of a team effort.

If RK can get that to be the rule and not the exception, it will be pretty, pretty, pretty great.
I recall only one time the 3 Sabre forwards were all caught below the offensive faceoff dots with the Penguins rush swinging back the other way. Last season it seemed that happened once every other shift.

Sabres were dominant in possession for most of the game, until the refs tried to even it up. PIT had a little pushback in the 3rd, and the Sabres met them with desperation to protect the 2-goal lead for Hutton.

Malkin the third star. OK there, Pittsburgh. :laugh:
Fairly enough, he scored a good goal, and was the only Penguin who rarely got a clear step of separation for a clean-look shot.

Ah when I get a chance I am going to post side by side gifs of Krueger’s reaction to his first win and Housley’s goofy ass face after win 10. Krueger was so calm and cool that it gave me chills.
Straight-faced buttoned up that awesome blue blazer and walked out of the bench. The "drop-mic" move of hockey.

As I mentioned before, it is night and day watching this team play from a structure standpoint. Players know where to be and what to do. A few times tonight players were pointing to other players about where they needed to go. I can watch that type of game from tonight all season, win lose or draw.

On the flip side, I can see the Pens really falling this year. Kessel, for his faults, was a clutch game breaker for them. I slid over to the Pens board and they are calling for Sullivan to be fired already
I had both thoughts last night as well. Great that this was the first win in the first game, which sets the Sabres up for a their home opener, but also comes against the Pens, one of the teams the Sabres will need to hurdle if they are to eke into the playoffs, and on the road no less.

Also Krueger is subtly good at deflecting agenda type questions from the media
(and)
A quote that stood out to me in last night's presser with Krueger was "We can feel good about this one for a few hours." If nothing else, Krueger shows he is good at managing the player's emotions. Housley not so much.
It would not surprise me if Krueger's IQ is 30 points higher than Housley's.

I wanted to see improvement in chance creation at 5v5, so this was a good start, with the Sabres definitively out-chancing the Pens each period along the way. Can't always control how refs call games, so it was nice to see that the 5v5 play was a strength for a change, as that'll always be the bulk of the TOI no matter how the power plays shake out. I hope they continue to trend well in that regard, but alas, it was just one game. No complaints of much consequence with tonight's game.
A WOODHOUSE SIGHTING!!

The team defense was the biggest takeaway of the game really.
So much this point. As a unit. NO MORE MAN DEFENSE "CHECKING DETAIL"!!!

Nitpicking, but I hope they find a little more touch. Created tons of chances with their speed and puck movement, the only letdown was only scoring 3 and not 5-6 like the game felt it should have been
I felt Skinner was just a little "off", and chalk it up to new linemates vs. having Jack & Sam last year.

Good:
Team work.

Bad:
Impossible to get a read on Pit. They were awful. Is this early signs of impending mediocrity or were they unable to scout what Buf were about and prepare accordingly.

Saturdays game will give more insight.
Agreed.

Dahlin's

The defensive pairing TOI was a non-issue to me. A function of the game situations in the third period referee-fest.

Loved Sam in front of the crease taking what was being dished out. Wish Sabres had another couple players who'll do that routinely, and I wish the Sabres also had someone who could put the opponent on their butt when liberties are taken with Reinhart.

Dahlin's hands/touch on his goal were the cherry on top of the opening-night sundae. Krueger needs to use him in the shootout.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
They squeaked into the playoffs by 4 points, got swept by the Isles, and their roster got worse in the offseason. Oh, and their core is a year older. Sid & Geno will keep them afloat, but I wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs.

I would. Teams like the Pens find ways to make it. Any team with 2 superstar centers and a great dman and good goalie is definitely a favorite to at least earn a WC. Isles overachieved. If anything once they fire Sullivan I can see the Pens get back to their old level of play.

Back to the Sabres-Pens, how many times did we watch those matchups to see the Sabres outplay them in the first 40, be up a goal or two just to crumble the last 20 and lose the game? It happens way too many times. Seeing us be the better team from puck drop to final whistle was refreshing. I really think we have something going here.

Oh and back to the GWG, Johansson didn't get an assist but he most definitely deserves a lot of credit for that goal. I am really digging Mojo on this team. He is that high end 2nd liner we have been missing since the middle/late 00s when we had several top 10 offenses. He is great with the puck, good skater and has that vet presence. Only downside was he got smoked at the dot but he was solely a winger the 3 seasons before this year. Not to mention he was always in the low 40s anyway. But if Mojo can be a 45-50 point 2C for us then I am fine with the lack of faceoff wins.

The entire team played good. Not one player had a below average game. Even Sobotka looked a lot better, stupid penalty not withstanding. If we can get even 17-18 Blues Sobotka that can go a long way. The only player I want to see off the lineup is Okposo. He just is not a top 6 forward anymore and thats what he was signed to be. Put in ERod over Okposo if that spot is going to get single digits ice time.

And I think its hilarious the 2 guys who scored the first 2 goals both played under 10 minutes. Sheary and Mitts def deserve more ice time the next few games. Risto and McCabe should get a few minutes less and Dahlin obv needs about 5 more minutes a game. But yeah, I have not been this pleased in a long time. This just feels....different. It is like we have everything finally in place if we get goaltending like last night. Our best players outplayed their best players. Our secondary guys won us the game. We didn't quit at any point. We took it to them from 1-60. And we finally have a coach who is not outmatched.

It may be one game but this team looks good. I really think this is a playoff team. In fact, I will call it right now, we are going to be a playoff team. And if we do not I will pay for a $200 bar tab at Pearl Street for any local Sabre posters, on me.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Respect all you guys but I'm not going to read through 7 pages in case what I am saying has already been said........

Loved what I saw last night (caught the replay - could only stay awake for periods 1 and 2 and then hit the highlights for any 3rd period video).

I'll just say Krueger's pressure forecheck/limit time and space strategy was executed flawlessly by the team. Ralph has the Sabres playing a 21st century style game. Delighted with the offensive creativity, the high tempo, the back checking, Hutton's movement and positioning.

Sam's pass to Dahlin and Rasmus' snipe under the crossbar was career highlight worthy.

No place to hide here...... Sobatka looked engaged last night and made a lot of smart plays. Used his body effectively to gain or provide opportunities for his teammates to capture the puck.

I'm really excited about Johanssen's playmaking potential.

Girgs has recaptured his mojo.

Loving Miller on D paired with Dahlin.

Upcoming west coast road trip and jaunt to Sweden couldn't be timed better vis a vis team building.

Probably just repeating now what others have pointed out.........

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Lol in the NHL network highlights they chose to highlight the risto high stick for 2 mins despite penguin bleeding. Yeah the refs really had it out for the penguins
and the fact that he clearly bit his lip afterwards because he had no blood before that...

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
G
I liked ALL of our defensemen (special shoutout to Marco Scandella)
Mittelstadt had a very good showing even outside the assists (Sheary too, Vesey seemed like the clear weak link on that line to me)
I'm a big fan of Colin Miller, love how he plays the game
Girgs and Larry are, once again, the best
Johansson seems to be a bet that's going to pay off big time
Our 1st line won the best-on-best matchup decisively, that's huge against a team like Pittsburg with only 1 good line

B
Sobotka was predictably and absolute 0 offensively, get him off that line ASAP
The refs, as usual
If Eichel wants to score 40 goals he needs to start going to the net when Reinhart has the puck. Just go, he'll find you.
The Skinner-Olofsson situation on the PP, it just doesn't make sense. Olofsson is a way better passer than Skinner and in that right wall spot you NEED that skill...

U
The victory laps after 1 game. Act like we've been here before ;)

edit: One that doesn't really fit in any one category: I loved our forecheck, it's so aggressive, but I'm wondering how long they'll be able to keep it up. Will they be as aggressive as effective in February? The sports science stuff should help with that but I can't say I don't have questions about it going forward...

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Idk about all that. I was there in person as well and it was a thorough ass kicking for my money.

We dominated the first period and didn’t bury one time of the many quality chances we had, I believe they scored late sucked the life out of the crowd in which you stood then in the second period they controlled then you and the crowd got restless and we’re times where we were very bad throughout the in the third we had some really good stretches but by then it was 3 or 4-0 and Boston was running on confidence and we weren’t running on anything by then and in the third it didn’t matter because even though we had good stretches we couldn’t score.

Being there doesent always mean you saw more I mean technically speaking yes you saw more as in you could see whatever you wanted any time you wanted but sometimes the camera follows the play better then the eye lice, I’ve been to ton of games and it’s really a subjective thing.

However one thing from being there would do was increase your perception of how they we’re bored off the ice because of a loss in the first game.

I’m not saying Boston didn’t outplay us, they had their legs they wanted correct the wrong of 7-0, we were rusty and weren’t ready but like I said that game looked worse to people then it in reality it actually was.

They didn’t just dominate all game, and if that’s what your saying by thorough ass kicking that’s just completely wrong. Outplayed overall and lost badly sure, weren’t dominated all game. Couple different bounces could of changed lots but I knew Boston’s as going to come out hungry, same way I predicted jerseys as going to come out hungry. And I’m willing to eat crow on that one if I’m wrong but it’s only two periods so I don’t wanna mess with anything it’s a “long games!

Anyway if you disagree we can agree to disagree

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
We dominated the first period and didn’t bury one time of the many quality chances we had, I believe they scored late sucked the life out of the crowd in which you stood then in the second period they controlled then you and the crowd got restless and we’re times where we were very bad throughout the in the third we had some really good stretches but by then it was 3 or 4-0 and Boston was running on confidence and we weren’t running on anything by then and in the third it didn’t matter because even though we had good stretches we couldn’t score.

Being there doesent always mean you saw more I mean technically speaking yes you saw more as in you could see whatever you wanted any time you wanted but sometimes the camera follows the play better then the eye lice, I’ve been to ton of games and it’s really a subjective thing.

However one thing from being there would do was increase your perception of how they we’re bored off the ice because of a loss in the first game.

I’m not saying Boston didn’t outplay us, they had their legs they wanted correct the wrong of 7-0, we were rusty and weren’t ready but like I said that game looked worse to people then it in reality it actually was.

They didn’t just dominate all game, and if that’s what your saying by thorough ass kicking that’s just completely wrong. Outplayed overall and lost badly sure, weren’t dominated all game. Couple different bounces could of changed lots but I knew Boston’s as going to come out hungry, same way I predicted jerseys as going to come out hungry. And I’m willing to eat crow on that one if I’m wrong but it’s only two periods so I don’t wanna mess with anything it’s a “long games!

Anyway if you disagree we can agree to disagree

I'm gonna go with disagree, and suggest sone reasons why your wrong. I think live is best.

First, Boston scored twice in the first. The first goal was at just under 6 minutes in, so no, not late. The second was with about 4 minutes to go.

We got hemmed up all game by Boston's excellent structure and settled for a lot of uninspired play on the outside.

As to my analysis live or on tv.... That's pretty general blather regarding whether the tv camera has a better eye or if the fans are just too distracting.

When I very rarely go to pro games, I sit in the 200s, preferably in the corners so I can watch the entire game instead of one zone you might get on tv. That way you can watch the entire flow of play and get a much better feel for how the teams are structuring their attacks and defenses, as well as catching action off the puck that you seldom see on tv with any focus.

Another positive of watching live offers that tv can't is that the rink shows replays all the time, as well as streaming on a device. You can also potentially get a different angle from your seats to the video in the arena during play.

Live is the best way to watch hockey, depending on your seats and what you want to take away from the game.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I'm gonna go with disagree, and suggest sone reasons why your wrong. I think live is best.

First, Boston scored twice in the first. The first goal was at just under 6 minutes in, so no, not late. The second was with about 4 minutes to go.

We got hemmed up all game by Boston's excellent structure and settled for a lot of uninspired play on the outside.

As to my analysis live or on tv.... That's pretty general blather regarding whether the tv camera has a better eye or if the fans are just too distracting.

When I very rarely go to pro games, I sit in the 200s, preferably in the corners so I can watch the entire game instead of one zone you might get on tv. That way you can watch the entire flow of play and get a much better feel for how the teams are structuring their attacks and defenses, as well as catching action off the puck that you seldom see on tv with any focus.

Another positive of watching live offers that tv can't is that the rink shows replays all the time, as well as streaming on a device. You can also potentially get a different angle from your seats to the video in the arena during play.

Live is the best way to watch hockey, depending on your seats and what you want to take away from the game.

GOod points,

Alright.

I just remember us not getting what we should of maybe it was a good first five minutes then until the first goal and then a bit of a pushback but your probably
Right then you would definitely remember the game more given your experience.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
GOod points,

Alright.

I just remember us not getting what we should of maybe it was a good first five minutes then until the first goal and then a bit of a pushback but your probably
Right then you would definitely remember the game more given your experience.

Sadly we saw too many games that were good starts and then utter fails.

Enjoy this while it lasts!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->