Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Welcome Back Thomas Vanek!

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Regehr was rusty. So was Leopold. You A) can't expect perfection after such a layoff and B ) can't make such definitive assessments after one game.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Regehr was rusty. So was Leopold. You A) can't expect perfection after such a layoff and B ) can't make such definitive assessments after one game.
Stop with the logic. Detroit and Vancouver fans have it right. We must assemble with pitchforks as soon as possible.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
Regehr isn't quite a total liability out there, but it's close. He's certainly lost a step. I think he should play on the 3rd pairing with Leopold - I think they could be pretty solid for 15 minutes a night or less. Myers and Sekera should stick together like glue, with Ehrhoff and Sulzer playing together as a solid 2nd unit.

I have a feeling we'll add a defenseman before the trade deadline - either to play with Ehrhoff if Sulzer struggles, or to solidify our depth on the 3rd pairing.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Regehr isn't quite a total liability out there, but it's close. He's certainly lost a step. I think he should play on the 3rd pairing with Leopold - I think they could be pretty solid for 15 minutes a night or less. Myers and Sekera should stick together like glue, with Ehrhoff and Sulzer playing together as a solid 2nd unit.

I have a feeling we'll add a defenseman before the trade deadline - either to play with Ehrhoff if Sulzer struggles, or to solidify our depth on the 3rd pairing.

Maybe. But Brennan and Weber are also on the roster. Who knows? Maybe when they get a chance to dress for some games, one of the 2 will prove to be good enough to hold down a bottom pairing job.

I also feel like Leo will improve a little as the season goes on. He's just got to shake off the rust.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

I don't believe Regehr played during the lockout. At his age it may take a bit longer to get back in the groove. Plenty of time to evaluate what he's got left.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Between Weber and Brennan, who would be more likely to fill a role?

If it's a defense role...Weber. Though Ruff will try to match him against top line opposition, then wonder why Weber isn't doing well.

If it's an offense role...Brennan.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Between Weber and Brennan, who would be more likely to fill a role?

Compared to what we iced today I would say neither. D was pretty solid. Not crisp but good enough for the circumstance. Since toughness was not a problem so far I would give Brennan the start as the next up.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Hodgson was a beast. He had a couple of gaffes, but i think he was buffalo's most dangerous forward.

Myers had a rough game, imo. Hopefully that goal gives him some confidence.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Hodgson was a beast. He had a couple of gaffes, but i think he was buffalo's most dangerous forward.

Myers had a rough game, imo. Hopefully that goal gives him some confidence.

Agreed, I listed him as the biggest concern for this season because I just didn't see elite level offensive ability from him at all last year. He looked at home on the top line and actually was consistently the most dangerous forward for us.

It seems like he's watching the game on TV when he's playing. He makes all of the plays that look obvious when you can see the entire sheet of ice, but in reality most guys can't.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Agreed, I listed him as the biggest concern for this season because I just didn't see elite level offensive ability from him at all last year. He looked at home on the top line and actually was consistently the most dangerous forward for us.

It seems like he's watching the game on TV when he's playing. He makes all of the plays that look obvious when you can see the entire sheet of ice, but in reality most guys can't.

He wasn't watching the game on TV, he was playing with TV. ;)

He definitely looked at home with Vanek and Pommer. Hopefully that continues.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
"Regehr was rusty. So was Leopold. You A) can't expect perfection after such a layoff and B ) can't make such definitive assessments after one game."

Stop with the logic. Detroit and Vancouver fans have it right. We must assemble with pitchforks as soon as possible.

My opinion is hardly based on one game. Anybody watching last season knows that Regehr is slow, and probably slower than we expected. Leopold has always been shaky is his own zone, his entire career. I'm not saying they need to be benched either, because there are no upgrades. They just need to shake the rust off fast, possibly end up as a 3rd pairing unless both of them together is an even bigger problem, and probably move on after this season. No pitchforks involved.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
G
- Vanek
- Hodgson
- Myers physicality when the game was still tight
-RR on the PK was excellent

B
- Myers puck handling
- Kaleta does not move or think at Grigorenko speeds
- I like Kaleta a lot less now that a better version is on the team, I think he might be rapping up his time with Buffalo with Tropp coming up the pipeline

U
- having an entire room burst out laughing when I said "man I wish Leino was out there tonight."

HarryNealesGarden

Big Daddy Ted
Nov 15, 2009
BOS
I'd like to see them get ahead by 2 earlier in a game so they aren't paranoid about putting Grigorenko on the ice in a tight game. If he's sitting, it's not helping him.
That's the thing. I don't have any qualms about the way Lindy used Grigs. #1 goal has to be to get the win at any cost.

Would just be nice to see him out there with Leino and a lead so he can open it up a bit

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I liked that Hodgson, Vanek and Pommers were out to take a D-zone draw at the end of the game when Flyers pulled their goalie. The usual Lindy would have gone with something like Hecht, Pommers and Ellis. Again, it's just a one game sample, but is it a sign of a change in coaching? A message that Hodgson is our #1 center and his line is the top line, and they're gonna solve the key situations, or die trying? I liked it, anyhow.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Was it just me or did Vanek look really really fast today, both times on his breakaway he burned the defender pretty bad. The second one, he actually outskated Coburn hard, who is a pretty damn good skater. I never saw that all year last year.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
OK, was able to watch the reply on Game center.

Good
- VHP line.
- Ott on the PP.
- Catching Philly on second game of back to back
- Dude skiing in Miller home jersey at Cranmore.

Bad
- Regier - seemed slow to me lost every race to the puck in the corner
- Defense coverage in front. The left guys all alone in front all night.
- The second period.

Ugly
- After VHP, not much to speak of right now as far as offensive lines with Gerbe and Leino out.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Something I didn't notice until just now: Pommer quietly put up 3 assists. Also it seemed like Ennis was shooting from everywhere and couldnt catch a break until the assist he had. I feel like ennis will put up some points if he keeps that up. Lots of wides and blocked shots though.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I love how Sulzer was a throw away player in the Hodgson deal and he's one of our most solid defensive d-men.

He's also our leading offensive defenseman as well....

He's played 16 games with us so far, and has scored 8 points...

He's tied with Christian Ehrhoff with 8 points over that span to lead all defensemen....

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Something I didn't notice until just now: Pommer quietly put up 3 assists. Also it seemed like Ennis was shooting from everywhere and couldnt catch a break until the assist he had. I feel like ennis will put up some points if he keeps that up. Lots of wides and blocked shots though.

Thats Pommer's game. He just goes about his business. I noticed he had a little creativity yesterday which I'm really not used to seeing from him, I remember he toe dragged around a guy which I never see from him.

Vanek was having a terrible game up until he got his skate fixed.

I would like to see Grig's get more ice time as his touching of the puck was very limited. By the two times he had control of the puck, he made a no-look pass, which I think if it was pommers or a better skilled guy, would've been in the back of the net, and the other he drew a penalty. I'm sure Ruff sheltering Grigs from the defensive zone(something on this board was calling for) and the amount of special teams play really limited Ruff's hand.I think he had one defensive zone faceoff(for what I can remember) and he won pretty cleanly.

Ennis had a fine day in faceoffs in all three zones. Didn't expect that from him.

I really like the makeup of this team, but the thing I want to see which has been lacking from this team for years, is consistency. If they can bring that game every night I feel comfortable they can make some noise.

Couple notes on Philly, of all the talk of the Sabres being Miller and nobody else, I feel as Giroux goes, Philly goes. Outside a few players that were not with him, I really wasn't scared of Philly's attack. Also, do they miss Pronger or what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad