Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Welcome Back Thomas Vanek!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good -

- Vanek making plays and cashing in on a beauty. The EN goal was just gravy. Loved that he made sure.
- Taking control to win a tied game in the last 5 minutes? Wow. Who ARE these guys?
- Powerplay conversions.
- Making Hartnell pay whenever he was in the box.
- Some solid hits
- Otter getting on the board on a beauty feed from Poms.
- In what I've seen, liked the Regehr-Myers pair (haven't watched all of the second period yet... I reserve the right to change my mind. :laugh: ).
- CoHo hustling and being rewarded with a goal.
- VanMassivehoser breaking things Buffalo's way with that late whistle.
- Stafford dropping the mitts. Yes please. Bigger is fine, getting everyone into the mindset that they're not a team to **** with is best.

The Bad -

- Missing much of the second while my son's team was getting curb-stomped by two different select travel squads. :shakehead Whoever thinks that's good for some house league players ought to be punted in the potatoes.
- Didn't think the first Flyers goal should've been waived off. It was really weak.

The Ugly -

- Did I mention watching 8 and 9 year old selects pound on a house league team twice? When it's 20-2 total for a two-game set and the goal on the team that got lit up is the best player on the ice....

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I like this team. Couple players had some serious rust (Ennis especially), but if/when they get to full speed they should be a good mix of everything.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I like this team. Couple players had some serious rust (Ennis especially), but if/when they get to full speed they should be a good mix of everything.

I was thinking the same thing, they're fun to watch again. A couple bad plays, but all in all a fun team.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
G: Ott, Vanek, Pommer, Ennis, Hodgson, Sekera, Sulzer, 1st period Myers

B: Miller looked so shaky, but somehow made the saves, we got very lucky with the calls. Myers in the second and third, just brutal. Leopold was bad as well.

U: Putting Grigorenko with scrubs, hopefully Leino can play tomorrow because Grigs should be put on a scoring line, not on a ****ing line with Kaleta.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Good win. This team is different and I like it.

Just to note a few on the good side.

Good:
-Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville played like a top line. Hodgson played fantastic.
-Stafford tossing the mitts and sticking up for Ennis.
-While sheltered a bit, I find the need to give Grigorenko props for that no-look pass.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011

Really? I thought Ennis was all over the place out there.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
Vanek looked great

Really liked Hechts play

Thought Sulzer/Erhoff was solid with the exception of one mistake in the D-zone

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd like to see them get ahead by 2 earlier in a game so they aren't paranoid about putting Grigorenko on the ice in a tight game. If he's sitting, it's not helping him.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
G: The centers go like this all year and we're in good shape.

B: Sekera/Leo
Miller's rebound control was bad

U: Paul Hamilton...YIKES

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
U: Putting Grigorenko with scrubs, hopefully Leino can play tomorrow because Grigs should be put on a scoring line, not on a ****ing line with Kaleta.

I'm fine with Ruff's handling of Grigorenko thus far. Ease him into a larger role.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The Ugly -

- Did I mention watching 8 and 9 year old selects pound on a house league team twice? When it's 20-2 total for a two-game set and the goal on the team that got lit up is the best player on the ice....

That happened once to my kids too. Travel team out of Chicago - AAA playing in a mite A MLK tournament. Why? The answer was never provided.

Tell your son to keep his chin up and carry his hockey stick high.

Last edited:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'm fine with Ruff's handling of Grigorenko thus far. Ease him into a larger role.

Can't take too long with it though, he's only got 5 more games to make a decision. If you keep him with grinders it's going to be a pretty easy decision to send him back down since you won't see much from him.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

I think Hecht could be really good in that sense. But Grigs needs talent to utilize his amazing vision...Ott and Hecht aren't really those guys. Leino is more of a playmaker, but probably better. Gerbe might really work well though.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Miller was definitely fighting the puck but he was strong when we needed it.

Ehrhoff/Sulzer were very very good

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
As for Grigorenko..I really hope Leino is ready to go tomorrow, I think we were all a little disappointed we didn't get to see Ott-Grig-Leino

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That happened once to my kids too. Travel team out of Chicago - AAA playing in a mite A MLK tournament. Why? The answer was never provided.

Tell your son to keep his chin up and carry his stick high.

He's over it -- they had a good day yesterday (1-0-1) against comparable squads. I told him at one point to relax and don't worry about it and he yelled back (loud enough for the whole crowd to hear) "I'm NOT!". :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad