Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Welcome Back Thomas Vanek!

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
G
T.V. going out of his mind. Where did the speed burst on the 4th goal come from? :amazed:
CoHo and Poms were solid as well, good top line. Cody looked really quick out there, got the insurance garbage goal, and Poms made the nice stretch pass to staff to set up the 2nd goal and set up ott in the first
Our powerplay scored repeatedly and didn't give up a shorthanded goal. :handclap:
Ott's physical presence and his bomb on the PP. Was not expecting that at all.
Grigs didn't help a ton, but didn't hurt us at all. did a good job drawing the penalty. Would definitely benefit from playing with leino.
Thought hecht looked really good.
Staff's fight, Foligno's scraps, and the general attitude of "We're not taking crap from anyone" was great
Liked Myers/Regehr for the most part. Myers couldn't handle the puck on the rush to save his life, though

B
Miller's rebound control at times was bad
Leo wasn't that good

U
Refs' calls (but I'm not complaining) :laugh:
Hartnell's face

koarl

Mar 19, 2011
Graz / Austria
the good
- Hodgson was an "everything" player. He was doing everything, he was involved in everything. Hockey IQ is off the charts. Just give it time boys.
- Vanek starting the season with a beast of a game. love that he exploded after that 1 shift benching.
- Ott, Foligno, Staff, Kaleta - elements of physical play throughout the lineup.
- a #1 line, used like a #1 line... the Cody line led all forwards with 19 minutes a piece.
- pretty balanced ice time on the blue line. Sekera, Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr led the ES ice time....
- Grigorenko did not look out of place, and wasn't a liability
- 4th liners getting 4th line minutes. I think Lindy would've wanted to get them a shift or 2 early, but situationally it didn't happen, so they sat.
- Stafford... i love it. i never forgot his reaction to the Drury hit, and always expected the emotion to develop more in his game. held his own too.

the bad
- Miller needs to shake off the rebound issues
- would've liked to see the FES line generate more possession down low
- 2 no goals?
- i get it, we are going to use all 6 on the PK... but boy, i do wish we would see Leopold less.

the awesome
- vanek-hodgson-pommer is a legit 1st line... Lindy, DON'T TOUCH!
nothing to add, but as it has already been stated - vanek went off to get his skate fixed. obviously, they gave him a good one as he showed a great burst of speed when hodgson converted the rebound on vanek's breakaway attempt.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
- Hodgson was an "everything" player. He was doing everything, he was involved in everything. Hockey IQ is off the charts. Just give it time boys.

I completely agree. Just about every decision he made out there was a good one. Very quick first passes, keeping plays alive, head up, creating his own chances and in the right place at the right time. Had his stick not been knocked out of his hand Philly doesn't get their first goal.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
What do you mean by bigger role?

I don't see his role changing what so ever.

Exactly! In his 2nd NHL game and you want to see a bigger role from Grigs? I expect no change. Not more time. Not more responsibility. Not more playmaking. Nothing different. That would be a good thing at THIS point of his career. If he's not hurting his line or the team, that's a good thing!

The things some people EXPECT from him already is incredible :help:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I know the power play is a continuing negative theme on this board but honestly, for the 1st game of the season and after only 5 practices, it wasn't bad at all (+3!!!)

It takes time to put in a power play and get the mechanics and the timing right.
A 25% conversion rate on the PP is regarded as outstanding......

And also give some credit to the other team. Laviolette adjusted his PK after the Sabres scored the 1st goal and it created problems on the zone entry. That's a credit to them.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Thought the crowd could of been louder and though terry wouldve done something more spectacular for the opening ceremonies

I wonder if the game being on NBC affected the pregame stuff. If it was on MSG they might have done something more expansive...but networks own the clock.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
He's so slow now, killing his game. I really wonder if he's in our top 6 now, Leopold runs hot cold but can play when hot. I don't think RR has much left.

Regehr has plenty to get to the end of this season and/or playoffs. After that, Regier may decide to not re-sign him :dunno:

The positives of Regehr on this team outweigh the negatives IMO.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Vanek, Thomas

Even though he's my fav player and despite his 5 points he kind of infuriates me. The guy isn't overly well conditioned. It showed on the 2nd goal against.

How can that be? People like you and me pay 3 digit monthly fees to work out and he gets payed millions and doesn't show up fit. Dammit, he can have his own private gymn if he wants to.

No envy, just wondering about his attitude sometimes.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
Exactly! In his 2nd NHL game and you want to see a bigger role from Grigs? I expect no change. Not more time. Not more responsibility. Not more playmaking. Nothing different. That would be a good thing at THIS point of his career. If he's not hurting his line or the team, that's a good thing!

The things some people EXPECT from him already is incredible :help:

I agree, I was very happy with his first game and if he plays the same way the next 4 he probably stays up for good....

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Vanek looked -- as he should -- like the team's best skater, just like the beginning of last season. I hope he sustains it, though I also know that's more about health than anything. He drew penalties, took punishment, and produced goals. He's so damn good when he's healthy and at the top of his game.

Ott made a fantastic first impression. He was the most physical player on the ice imo and also made some notable offensive (duh, check the scoresheet) and defensive plays.

Staff having a go at Hartnell was good to see. Staff isn't a great fighter, but he's shown willingness in the past and I hope this is the beginning of many different guys stepping up now and then to fight others in their weight class. They need that overall team toughness.

I thought both teams played with good pace (a credit to the Sabres as it was their first game) but guys clearly need to get their timing down and get the rust off.

Say what you want, but Leino was missed. Not necessarily a comment on how great he is so much as you need that one more skill guy out there. Hope he can go tomorrow.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I see people are complaining about the PP. The top unit looked by and large very good to me. The worst was the times when the 2nd unit started the PP off (due to 1st unit players having just had a shift) and it was a bit of a mess until the 1st unit got their shift in towards the end.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
He's so slow now, killing his game. I really wonder if he's in our top 6 now, Leopold runs hot cold but can play when hot. I don't think RR has much left.

Definitely agree that Regehr was slow today, but I'd wait a few more games. It could (hopefully) just be rust from not having played in 9 months, although it's more likely his age catching up to him.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Regehr has plenty to get to the end of this season and/or playoffs. After that, Regier may decide to not re-sign him :dunno:

The positives of Regehr on this team outweigh the negatives IMO.

Two penalties tonight and you could argue lack of foot speed played part. This was the theme last season too. Probably role for him but just barely. I don't want his contact to be why he plays,

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
No ****ing clue what happened between the first week of the Amerks season and now but Cody Hodgson has never been quicker. He looks smoother and faster than he did during the WJC years ago. To me that was the one thing holding him back from truly being a star. Remember that with all of the Jordan Eberle and Tavares Magical Play hype Hodgson was the guy who started most of those plays.

I guessing working with Dawn Braid is paying off. She visits the Amerks once a week (and same with the Sabres now the season is back on).

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Two penalties tonight and you could argue lack of foot speed played part. This was the theme last season too. Probably role for him but just barely. I don't want his contact to be why he plays,

And Regehr drew two penalties, but don't dare mention that. He also saved what seemed to be a sure goal, but don't dare mention that.

Regehr, like every player on this roster, will have his good games and bad games. For what he brings to this club, overall he's a nice piece to have on the back end.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Fun fact: Vanek is the first player since 2006 to score 5 points in a season opener. The last guy to do it was Phoenix Coyotes star (and one time Sabres property for like a minute) Steven Reinprecht.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
And Regehr drew two penalties, but don't dare mention that. He also saved what seemed to be a sure goal, but don't dare mention that.

Regehr, like every player on this roster, will have his good games and bad games. For what he brings to this club, overall he's a nice piece to have on the back end.

I think Regehr is absolutely a key part of our defense but on the first day of camp I expressed concern over pairing him with Myers and I still feel like that's something legitimate to be worried about. I do not at all mean to say he can't work well with Myers and have that be the right coaching decision, but I'm just plain concerned about the step he's lost (as seen last season) being on a "very clear" top pairing of him and Myers.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

He's very slow now. He's still a smart player but I see him as 5th or 6th guy, depending on who you have behind him and your needs. I don't see him as anywhere near a top 4 guy and tonight reinforced that again. I'd like to see him get some days off if a lighter sked would help with his quickness. He's useful on PK for sure. And he's not worth anywhere near $4.2 million but that's not an issue.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm also concerned about Regehr. I expected he and Leopold to be the 3rd pair, with Sekera-Myers as the top pair. Both Leo and Regehr looked shaky, and I assume it's due to being a couple of the few vets that didn't play at all during the lockout. Regehr is slow though anyway and that is what got him in trouble a few times. He made a few good defensive plays but one was because he was behind his man in the first place. They're like exact opposites - a little above average on one end but terrible on the other. I won't miss when they're contracts are up, but I'm REALLY disappointed that Edler won't be available to fill one of their spots.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
Possibly having a legitimate first line in Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville has to be the most exciting thing to look forward to this season. I've envied other teams having a top line that plays around 20 minutes/game for too long.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I'm sure everything has been said already, but I'll just say that was a very entertaining game and it's good to have hockey back!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad