Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - They stepped in some Duck S....

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Yes, physicality is effective against them. But that's not the problem in my eyes.

The problem last year was there no response.

They definitely responded yesterday, but it came at the expense of system and execution.

I see growth and improvement, and to borrow a phrase from Krueger, the potential to learn from an experience. Last year there was nothing to learn from, the book was written, they played like a bunch of soft cowards lacking skill and as a result we all wanted 'roster surgery' for an entire offseason.
I may be mistaken, but IIRC the Skinner thing was well behind the play. There’s little doubt in my mind that someone would’ve jumped to help him in the moment had they been there, similarly to what they did last night for VO and Vlad, but yes, they didn’t make Yandle pay afterwards. It’s not like they challenged Rowney, Ritchie and Holzer this time around beyond what I deem was the bare minimum, however, I’d agree that they showed a bit more spine. I loved Jokiharju dumping Comtois, for example. Mittelstadt was also clearly engaged which was nice to see.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I didn't watch the game but it seems weird to ride a player so hard when he played 6 minutes all game?
If that's the case it makes it even worse. Watch the highlights and key in on him on the Ducks goal 3 and 4. At a minimum if he's going to stay in I wouldn't put him on the PK anymore. His one job is to play stop the cross ice pass and he watches two of them go right by him back to back.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
G:
Eichel goal
VO scoring
Scandella-Jokiharju

B:
PP couldn't handle the pressure
we couldn't out-pass the pressure 5v5, the ducks left themselves open to counter a majority of the game, we just lost to the pressure
Gibson made ALOT of key saves for them

U:
The Ducks. **** their bull****.

You guys should be in the Pacific division. Between them and the Kings, you spend 8 games a season hoping to get out of it without any injuries.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I also wouldn't mind more of a move to the man high (Dahlin, Miller) laying pucks on net with Reinhart and Skinner crashing/screening/NFP'ing. It seems like they took the easy saucer to Olofsson and Eichel from the point or through the seem. They did try to work the low play with Reinhart and Skinner playing some pitch and catch. It was their work low that lead to VO's goal too.

Agreed.

They have lots of options, just getting a little over reliant on Olofsson, particularly as the weak link out there as a puck protector.

VO has had the opportunity from Reinhart before and finally nailed it.

Like you said, dahlin and Jack need to start shooting and let Reinhart and Skinner clean up.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Good:
The Leafs post game thread.

Bad:
The 2nd and especially the third period

Ugly:
This team has made a habit in the past to fold when the going gets tough against physical teams. They quit in the third period outside of a few players. They didnt want any smoke with Anaheim. I cant wait until the day when the Sabres can show up against these big and physical teams. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later.

That happened to a certain extent but I thought last night was a continuation of an issue they’ve had. That is they keep getting away from the habits they have when they are playing their best and even dominant hockey. They get way too cute and try to force pretty.

They were doing the work and had the right habits to start the game and dominated. Then they started getting cute and sloppy, particularly on the PP. The physical play didn’t really kick into high gear until after they had already starting getting sloppy. But I agree with you that it got them even more off their game.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That happened to a certain extent but I thought last night was a continuation of an issue they’ve had. That is they keep getting away from the habits they have when they are playing their best and even dominant hockey. They get way too cute and try to force pretty.

They were doing the work and had the right habits to start the game and dominated. Then they started getting cute and sloppy, particularly on the PP. The physical play didn’t really kick into high gear until after they had already starting getting sloppy. But I agree with you that it got them even more off their game.
I think some poster keyed in on some key differences from last year. This year they responded to every hit, but the physical play took a toll physically and mentally. By the end of the game they were careless with the puck and seemed disinterested to continue the fight.

Also, the Ducks had a hell of a game plan that also frustrated our boys.

I like that they responded to every hit. That builds comradery, and it was something we didnt see a lot of. Hopefully they respond tonight. That would show growth. Unfortunately, last probably took a lot out of them, so they're going to have to dig deep.

Reactions: joshjull

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Thought they could have easily had 4 or 5 goals last night. Skinner had a ton of chances, VO just missing the breakaway, ERod in alone, MoJo had Gibson beat on the cross-ice one-timer that unfortunately hit a stick in mid-flight, etc. And the Ducks maximized their opportunities. It happens. I thought 3 points was a reasonable expectation for the trip, and I still do. Get a result tonight.

Eakins has the Ducks playing well. You could see that they knew how to play Buffalo, right down to the hard forecheck, aggressive PK, and getting Ullmark moving laterally (sloooooowwwww). As awful as Housley was, Carlyle may have been worse.

Carlyle wasn't only a incompetent coach, he was hated by the players, some players hated him more than others but given the interviews the players have given since Eakins was hired it became clear to Duck fans that Carlyle was hated quite alot on top of being a incompetent coach.

Last night was the most physical game i've seen this year, apparently that was the game plan vs Buffalo to play more physical. Ritchie is a idiot with dumb penalties & will be scratched next game.

Neither Montour or Guhle played, what were the odds that would happen.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Say what you want but sobotka and a select few (Girgs larson) were the Only ones finishing their checks,

despite not getting on the board but having a good game mittlestadt would blatantly avoid finishing his check / any contact, you can't play like that, theres no point of forechecking if your not gonna check/establish body position for the puck that also goes for any of our forwards, the ducks were playing playoff hockey last night thats the type of game you gonna get every night come April and if that's how we're gonna play (if we even get there) the leafs bruins tampa caps whoever can bring their brooms as well

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Say what you want but sobotka and a select few (Girgs larson) were the Only ones finishing their checks,

There were quite a few people doing that in the first period, including Eichel who has stepped that up considerably this season so far.

The physicality in that game got out of hand only because the officials allowed it to. When you see teammates get cheap shotted without the appropriate penalty, it's going to affect your game because you know you can be cheap shotted at any time.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
There were quite a few people doing that in the first period, including Eichel who has stepped that up considerably this season so far.

The physicality in that game got out of hand only because the officials allowed it to. When you see teammates get cheap shotted without the appropriate penalty, it's going to affect your game because you know you can be cheap shotted at any time.
yeah but that also mean you can take it there as well :nod:

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010

He actually does mention the PP nearly directly after that quote.

That is clearly not the point here. Instead of RELYING on the cookie cutter response, he addressed the actual issue. It would have been easy for him to only state the answer everyone expected seeing as he actually was one of the guys who does go out there any throw his body around. I was applauding him for not being intentionally obtuse like so many people are these days(see Twitter for good examples).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad