Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Capitulate Much?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

Scoring streaks are alive.
Some early PP pressure.
Lots of chances.

The Bad:

So much for any depth scoring again.
Losing another game they lead.
Hutton with bad luck on GA1 and the penalty shot.
PKing was actually pretty good and they had two great chances for shorties but they still gave up goals and didn't convert.

The Ugly:

Stinky home losses.
Lax coverage by people who should know better - Reinhart on the 3-on-1 was coasting. Scandella lost his man completely. Dahlin was hot trash at the blueline, leading to the PSGA.
Sobotka as the extra attacker and then caps it with a terrible drop pass.
No response to Yandle.
No additional penalty to Yandle -- misconduct much ref?
Edit - Poms getting crushed and wobbling off.

Last edited:
Reactions: zuikan and slip

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Random thoughts:

The third period killed us. Other than that, we were the better team. I hate playing Florida. Dahlin didn't have a good night.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
G
-1st line early
-Larsson/Girgs
-ERod/Bogo chances
-Powerplay is coming along, PP1 is gaining chemistry

B
-Bad game from Dahlin in his own end
-Hutton goal 4 was a killer
-Thought Guhle would develop more defensively, he seems to have regressed

U
-Got major Lafontaine vibes from the Pommer hit, lets hope its not that

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
G: Luongo
Sabres through 40

B: Dahlin
Sabres after the 3rd Goal

U: Florida's incredible puck luck
Hutton's incredible lack of puck luck
Ref's not giving Yandle 5 or at least 4

I really don't know what to make of this game. I'm not entirely convinced the Panthers were the better team tonight. However, thanks to insane luck they were able to take a quick lead in the 3rd and the Sabres had just no more wind left in their sails. I hate to say it but the Yandle incident was the turning point. It was easy to see coming, that goal on the penalty shot was demoralizing (and honestly Dahlin should have just trusted Hutton to make the save on that breakaway). These losses will happen, gotta bounce back for the next one.

Also it's incredible just how good Luongo is against the Sabres, I don't understand why him and Florida are our Achilles Heel.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Yandle's rag-doll minor on Skinner was the FLA response to Skinner getting his feet tangled earlier with their captain Barkov. That's a penalty most benches/rooms will gladly kill and feed off of. BUF didn't make 'em pay on that PP and didn't reciprocate for coming after their leading goal scorer. FLA takes the 3rd and wins. Onto the next one.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Ugly:
- That hit on Pommers. He looked real bad hobbling off the ice.
- No response after Skinner got mauled.
- Pretty much this entire game was ugly. I hope the team takes one of those Men in Black mind eraser flash things and just forgets it ever happened.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I think Dahlin is the slowest skater on defense when it comes to back checking. Every time a guy gets past him it’s kind of pathetic how slow he looks.

Reactions: deVolt

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
This was a game that was a reminder this team is still not a finished product. Middle six still very raw and full of holes that will be filled in the next few years by guys like nylander, olofsson, asplund, and hopefully some growth from Mitts and Thompson along with the guys brought in with the 4 1st.

Reactions: VaporTrail

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
G: 1st line in the 1st period and parts of the 2nd period. Dominant

B: Put erod back with girglarssons. If we're going to stack out top line we might as well stack our only other effective line as well.

I've thought this for a while now but Guhle is a long shot to be an impact player in the NHL. He's making that clearer every day.

U: Okposo

Uglier: Okposo is our best middle 6 forward.(e-rod should be back on the "4th line")

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Played good for 2 periods. Hot garbage at the end.

Poms better be okay.
Sorry , maybe i'm an old guy but,

you all have to f'n be kidding me .... ive looked at posts from here to sabrespew and people are actually talking about hockey..

skinner being tossed around like a rag doll being mugged by two guys sent out to deal w him and we doing nothing is a DISGRACE .. period

remember lucic and miller?

we lost because they and the crowd could feel their puss impotent response..

we are so close , i love our play til the rag doll ignore.., we played great during eichel coming out as a star in Boston, played tough tonight, got a 2 1 lead and then p••sed out like paralyzed girls too scared to reciprocate and protect. Unfortunately , this is not going away and if they allow anyone to bully us again it may not go away even if we add a lame john scott like before .. we love their game up until this incedent and are sad for them as i was in 2011.. dont let this become our identity again

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgoalie

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

you have to f'n be kidding me .... ive looked at posts from here to sabrespew and people are actually talking about hockey..

skinner being tossed around like a rag doll being mugged by two guys sent out to deal w him and we doing nothing is a DISGRACE .. period

we are so close , we played great during eichel coming out as a star in boaton, played tough got a 2 1 lead and p••sed out like paralyzed girls too scared and this is not going away if they allow anyone to bully us again and may not go away even if we add a lame john scott .. we love their game up until this incedent and are sad for them as i was in 2011
Lucic/Miller is not comparable. Please stop.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
G
Top line can score
Early 1st; most of the 2nd
Ristolainen

B
A lot of lazy plays on their goals
Dahlin had a bad night
Guhle and Hunwick were trash
Lines 2 & 3 generated a few chances early, and then vanished for the night
No PP shooting

U
That third period was the worst I've seen this year

Bad 0ne; they should forget this one and move on.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I went to play hockey during the third period. It's not very encouraging to see Skinner get mauled, and then come home to see they gave up 4 goals in response. They're gonna have to toughen up a lot if they ever want to compete in the playoffs, but they're still a young team and an unfinished product. Definitely going to need some beef added up front in the offseason.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Are you saying their lack of response wont have reprucusions?
no one wants that to be true but seriously?
Yandle didn't put Skinner in any actual harm. It was douchey but not a dangerous play with intent to injure.

If they fall apart after this game as a result of that, then they are mental midgets. What happened to Skinner and lack of response only remotely mattered in this game. Now it doesn't matter. The team will move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
G
-1st line early
-Larsson/Girgs
-ERod/Bogo chances
-Powerplay is coming along, PP1 is gaining chemistry

B
-Bad game from Dahlin in his own end
-Hutton goal 4 was a killer
-Thought Guhle would develop more defensively, he seems to have regressed

U
-Got major Lafontaine vibes from the Pommer hit, lets hope its not that

came to post the same thing...he looks tentative and got eaten alive by the forecheck

I think Dahlin is the slowest skater on defense when it comes to back checking. Every time a guy gets past him it’s kind of pathetic how slow he looks.
Agree.

you all have to f'n be kidding me .... ive looked at posts from here to sabrespew and people are actually talking about hockey..

we are so close , i love our play til the rag doll ignore.., we played great during eichel coming out as a star in Boston, played tough tonight, got a 2 1 lead and then p••sed out like paralyzed girls too scared to reciprocate and protect. Unfortunately , this is not going away and if they allow anyone to bully us again it may not go away even if we add a lame john scott like before .. we love their game up until this incedent and are sad for them as i was in 2011.. dont let this become our identity again
Dad?

Reactions: DatGuy and Goathead

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Reinhart.... Holy shit. He barely moves as it is, why is he seemingly out of energy all the time? This team isn't going to last more than 4 games in the playoffs with that pathetic display of lethargy playing on the 1st line.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
We started with a strong push, they held their own, and I never felt comfortable about our chances at any point thereafter.

I have this shitty feeling that we got bullied around a bit. Maybe Eichel was spot on with them wanting it more.

Annoying game.

Reactions: Chainshot

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
We started with a strong push, they held their own, and I never felt comfortable about our chances at any point thereafter.

I have this ****ty feeling that we got bullied around a bit. Maybe Eichel was spot on with them wanting it more.

Annoying game.
Just to add to this...we were on the wrong side of most battles or 50/50 pucks, and we didn’t win a ton of the tilts that went on along the boards.

When we’re on our game, as soon as the puck finds open space, a Sabre is usually first to it, and someone automatically fills out wherever F1 comes from - systematic. This game, any time the puck found space - neutral or either team’s zone - there was a delay before a Sabre entered your TV screen, if one did at all. We looked sluggish.

And the ice sucked. So did our passes, due in equal part to the decision-making behind them.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad