Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Capitulate Much?

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
The lack of production outside of the Eichel line is starting to become very concerning. We can't have it where the other 3 lines combined score 1 goal every 4 games.

Reactions: DJN21

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
really , luck? .. . admitting a hard fact during a game or rationalizations?.. they completely lost their cohesiveness and were distracted after skinner thrown like a doll and the crowd howling at yandle.. turning the other cheak in hockey becomes a habit as in life.. i HOPE this is an aberration, as do we all..

You think that was the turning point? Sabres looked gassed physically and mentally after 2 periods. Luongo is no slouch either.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
U rationalizations and denial.

i have been extremely pleased w this team from bogosian beaulieu and the rest of the d and happy w reinhart and mitts developent an thrilled w larson and girgs ... even okposo sliw recovery and effort ..and have been reflected by my posts and enthusiasm watching jack dahlin mature w help.

my issue is the clash of old time resposibility team/family the florida coach overeacted to nothing that helped his team and our impotent response. ive like housley communication and system engaging entire team playing for each other but have always been worried about reasons phil was traded.
if i were a coach i learned how to intimidate buffalo at home last night. i dont believe eichel will stand for that but would love to know what was said that caused such confusion between second and third.

cant do punctuation on lame phone. im generally curious

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Hoping Pominville is OK.

Sabres will always struggle against teams that have a player like Bergeron or Barkov as long as they are a one line team, and as long as their PP underperforms.

That said, the silver lining with injuries is that perhaps now they can start to work in some talent from the farm on that second line and see if they can get Mittelstadt going. I just hope they don't bring up Bailey.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I’m guilty of not giving Beaulieu enough credit for rounding out the depth.

I know he had a stinker and a half in the last three he played, and a handful of lower dips scattered about...but from what we were used to, he had been a pleasant surprise oft never mentioned. I see Guhle and Hunwick and really miss Beaulieu (in addition to McCabe, but that one’s obvious because of his level of play prior to going down)
He has definitely become a solid 3rd paring guy that adds some sandpaper to the roster.

Guhle hasn't been very impressive during this call up. Getting Pilut and McCabe back would be a huge boost to the defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: jBuds and Dubi Doo

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
The PP failing after Yandle attacked Skinner was the start of things going the wrong way.

They were WAY too cute, overpassing and looking for the perfect shot. Had they buried one there it might have been enough.

#1 unit was out there the entire time and I think I counted 4 one time passes that were off the mark + a bunch of other half assed passes that were off as well. Not sure if it was the ice or shit passing but it carried on the rest of the game after that.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I like seeing the team show discipline and take the PP 11 times out of 10 after what Yandle did, up 2-1. It'd be different if Yandle actually ran him, but he was just being a dink. Take the PP, laugh him all the way over to the box, and punish him for it on the scoreboard. That didn't happen, combined with the weak PSGA later on, is where the game really turned. Ray even mentioned it in the broadcast, guys started hanging their heads a bit after the PS went in. I think the fans booing Yandle played a part in getting the Panthers woken up as well. Down 1-2 late in the 2nd I certainly don't want Bowlyou or Bogo taking a dumb penalty if it had been Barkov getting tangled up with Eichel with no injury. Florida should have addressed the trip on Barkov as soon as it happened. They were disciplined and took the PP. Or in some alternate universe where the game turned out differently we're hearing about how disgraceful florida's reaction to the trip was for not addressing it when it happened and then taking a later dumb penalty leading to a PPGA to go down 3-1...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
past 30 days

Eichel - 7th in points in the NHL
Reinhart - 9th in points in the NHL
Skinner - t-25th in points (3rd in goals) in the NHL

Sabres - 9th - 15 games 8-4-3

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
past 30 days

Eichel - 7th in points in the NHL
Reinhart - 9th in points in the NHL
Skinner - t-25th in points (3rd in goals) in the NHL

Sabres - 9th - 15 games 8-4-3

Some totals to counter-balance that in those same 15 games:

Rodrigues 14 games 2-2-4 (23 point pace)
Thompson 15 games, 4-0-4 (no goals in the last 10)
Mittelstadt 15 games, 3-1-4 (22 point pace)
Okposo 15 games, 0-4-4 (22 point pace)
Sheary 11 games, 0-3-3 (also a 22 point pace)
Pominville 13 games, 0-1-1
Sobotka 15 games, 0-0-0

The "fourth" line keys who are getting ridiculous d-zone deployment?

Girgensons 13 games, 2-1-3
Larsson 15 games, 2-0-0

Fix one other line. Please.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Some totals to counter-balance that in those same 15 games:

Rodrigues 14 games 2-2-4 (23 point pace)
Thompson 15 games, 4-0-4 (no goals in the last 10)
Mittelstadt 15 games, 3-1-4 (22 point pace)
Okposo 15 games, 0-4-4 (22 point pace)
Sheary 11 games, 0-3-3 (also a 22 point pace)
Pominville 13 games, 0-1-1
Sobotka 15 games, 0-0-0

The "fourth" line keys who are getting ridiculous d-zone deployment?

Girgensons 13 games, 2-1-3
Larsson 15 games, 2-0-0

Fix one other line. Please.

Oh I wasn't trying to post a bias comment, just thought of how well the 1st line has been lately and curious where they stand up the past month.

But to see the difference of the streaks:

The 10 game streak: (10 games) 10-0-0
Rodrigues 1-3 4 points
Thompson 3-1 4 points
Mittelstadt 2-1 3 points
Okposo 1-6 7 points
Sheary 1-3 4 points
Pominville 1-3 4 points
Sobotka 2-1 3 points
Girgensons 0-0 0 points
Larsson 1-0 1 point

After the 10 game streak: (10 games) 3-4-3
Rodrigues 1-1 2 points
Thompson 1-0 1 point
Mittelstadt 1-1 2 points
Okposo 0-0 0 points
Sheary 0-1 1 point
Pominville 0-0 0 points
Sobotka 0-0 0 points
Girgensons 2-1 3 points
Larsson 1-0 1 point

Seems like this team shows similar issues as last year. An Inconsistent secondary scoring group, where they either play well at the same time, or don't show up. Better goaltending and a ridiculous 1st line playing out of their mind is hiding the team's overall flaws. I think this team's true identity is one of which is closer to the .500 level we saw from them before the streak and after streak. I don't think we're a team that is on the level of a team that can put together another runs of 7-3 or 9-1 or above .700 consistently, but I don't believe we're a team that puts together strings of sub .200 hockey. We're right at that level of .500 or a middle of the road team. Not that, that's a bad thing, because I think a good majority of posters BEFORE the season would take it. Of course, we had that 10 game streak and the expectations of the team have increased immensely, but for such a small sample size, I think we need to temper them back a little.

Reactions: Vito_81

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Bad games happen.

Meh
Wasn't even a bad game...the first period they were fantastic, they didn't let up that much in the second period (which is against the norm) and then the third period was just a disaster...horrible upon horrible. Which sucks because that game could have very easily been 6-1 at the end of the second. Team had SO many chances to bury pucks and just kept bricking on them again and again. Missed one-timers, poor shot placements and great saves from Bobby Lu. Then the third hit and the game was over within the first five minutes...everyone in the building most certainly including the team knew they were done.

Reactions: k8prisoner

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
That 3rd period breakdown had nothing to do with puck luck
You sure?

The penalty shot, the puck squeaks through and rolls DOWN THE PAD, onto the ice, then continues to roll directly into the net.

Eichel's line was trying to put on pressure in the 3rd but every pass was bouncing all over the place.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Wasn't even a bad game...the first period they were fantastic, they didn't let up that much in the second period (which is against the norm) and then the third period was just a disaster...horrible upon horrible. Which sucks because that game could have very easily been 6-1 at the end of the second. Team had SO many chances to bury pucks and just kept bricking on them again and again. Missed one-timers, poor shot placements and great saves from Bobby Lu. Then the third hit and the game was over within the first five minutes...everyone in the building most certainly including the team knew they were done.
The first two periods made me think of that game against NYR where the sabres ran the show all night but couldn't get one past King Henrik. The third period made me think of the Philly game, where we lost all momentum and scrambled to try and get back into the game, but only made it worse.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I was too mad to post yesterday, the turning point was late in the second when we had that PP and about ten chances to shoot and score and not one sabres did.

I knew that would haunt us for some reason and as soon as the penalty shot happened I could just predict how it would end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad