GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Tuch. Lose at home to Montreal 3-1.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Ugly

You’ll all be back when the top dawgs figure out how to play hockey again

Another ugly

There was some crazy stuff going on with NST last night. For instance the Skinner goal was charged wrong for the entire game.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Ugly

Another ugly

There was some crazy stuff going on with NST last night. For instance the Skinner goal was charged wrong for the entire game.
The top dogs are playing okay, besides Tuch. It's the rest of the team that isn't very good.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Stats via Natural Stat Trick

High Danger Chances:
at 5v5
Habs 12
Sabres 4

All strengths
Habs 17
Sabres 8

Shot/Shot attempt quality (xGF)

at 5v5
Habs 2.47
Sabres 1.97

All strengths

Habs 3.95
Sabres 3.67

That's not a winning recipe.

We did outshoot them and beat them in possession metrics, but that didn't matter because the chances we did allow were so juicy. And we didn't generate very many dangerous chances for ourselves.

Jake Allen is 14th in the league in All Strengths Goals Saved Above Average/60

Comrie 22nd. He's been decent. If you told me over the summer that Comrie would be the 22nd best goalie in the league I'd have said that's good enough for us to make the playoffs this season.

Levi 44th
I acknowledge the stats. They do speak to why we lost the game. I just think that its only a tweak or two to make the effort be productive. Montreal worked hard to limit uncontested shots. Any team not doing that will get hurt by what the Sabres brought last night.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I acknowledge the stats. They do speak to why we lost the game. I just think that its only a tweak or two to make the effort be productive. Montreal worked hard to limit uncontested shots. Any team not doing that will get hurt by what the Sabres brought last night.
What do you think the odds are that other teams won't be doing the work to limit those uncontested shots? The chances of a team not doing that for a full game are small. The very best you may get, is maybe a full period, like the game against Tampa.

I do agree that teams not doing the work will get hurt by what the Sabres brought, considering that the Sabres hardly brought anything to the table. But I question how many teams that would be.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Ugly

Another ugly

I thought it looked off, at one point during the 2nd period I remember thinking that the Habs hadn't touched the puck at all yet NST had them up 5-1 in HDCF...

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
What do you think the odds are that other teams won't be doing the work to limit those uncontested shots? The chances of a team not doing that for a full game are small. The very best you may get, is maybe a full period, like the game against Tampa.

I do agree that teams not doing the work will get hurt by what the Sabres brought, considering that the Sabres hardly brought anything to the table. But I question how many teams that would be.
I disagree with the bolded. I thought the speed and effort were there last night. They were also physical. They got too cute with the passes at times.

Other teams will of course try to limit uncontested shots, but few teams have the speed to do it to the Sabres the way Montreal did last night.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I disagree with the bolded. I thought the speed and effort were there last night. They were also physical. They got too cute with the passes at times.

Other teams will of course try to limit uncontested shots, but few teams have the speed to do it to the Sabres the way Montreal did last night.
The speed and effort were there, I agree with that, but they didn't do nearly enough with the puck as they should've. Too many times they got overzealous with the passing, and instead of attacking the middle of the ice/at the crease with movement/rotation, they had guys rotating too high in the offensive zone, for too long, so Montreal sat back and let Buffalo keep the puck knowing they weren't going to create anything off of it. Buffalo scored one goal, it wasn't as if they were succeeding with that gameplan.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Power starting to remind me of myers. guy is 100 feet tall but plays like he's 3ft.

passive
Not physical
total passenger
bone head moves

not expecting everyone to be a dahlin and lay someone out but come on your huge you can bull through guys pretty easily if you assert yourself. very annoying player to watch defend.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Power starting to remind me of myers. guy is 100 feet tall but plays like he's 3ft.

passive
Not physical
total passenger
bone head moves

not expecting everyone to be a dahlin and lay someone out but come on your huge you can bull through guys pretty easily if you assert yourself. very annoying player to watch defend.
I'd try to learn to love him, he's not going anywhere.

...and either is this team, until he figures it out. So far this year, the team is notably worse when he's on the ice than when he's off it. At least with regards to expected goals. His %GA numbers are bad too.

Natural Stat Trick and Money Puck have very different ideas of what happened in last night's game.
I've been using moneypuck. Which one is considered more reliable?

Get
To
The
Fing
Net!
Buffalo Sabres: No thank you, I'm good enough to score from 30' away.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Power is Tyler Myers without the skating speed.

That I don't see. Myers when he arrived was one of the best players at fronting his man, of using his reach and wingspan to position himself between the puck and the man around the net. Ruff started grinding that out of him by the end of his second season. Similarly, Myers as a rush option, filling a lane and driving the net, was a big source of his offense.

Power is a better settled offensive player than Myers ever was - his ability to activate and play essentially as another winger, his patience with his pinches where he presents as a shot option at mid-range, his passing ability in transition and once the team is in the offensive zone are significantly better.

Or were you just looking for a tall comp?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'd try to learn to love him, he's not going anywhere.

...and either is this team, until he figures it out. So far this year, the team is notably worse when he's on the ice than when he's off it. At least with regards to expected goals. His %GA numbers are bad too.

I've been using moneypuck. Which one is considered more reliable?

Buffalo Sabres: No thank you, I'm good enough to score from 30' away.

That's a fine question that I don't know the answer to. I had thought they were all using the xG data from Bacon, which feeds the JFresh cards; but that doesn't appear to be the case.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Ugly

Another ugly

What do you mean "you'll all be back?" No one's going anywhere. The people in this forum have been here for 12+ years, supporting this team with their time and money. If that's not unconditional love, I don't know what is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am confused, one says it is a preview of tonight's game and the other is last night's.

Odd, both resolve to last night's game for me.

MP seems to really like a sequence with a Cozens shot and rebound that NST doesn't have as valued. *shrug*

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Odd, both resolve to last night's game for me.

MP seems to really like a sequence with a Cozens shot and rebound that NST doesn't have as valued. *shrug*
Him weird the first one for some reason is showing a preview of tonight's game for me. Maybe I am just clicking something accidentally on my phone.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Yeah, I mean owning the shot share and possession the way we did is a big piece to being a winner. But I think it would take more than a tweak or 2 to reverse the high danger chances share.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad