OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Thought of some general questions about how we all maintain our reading habit.

As a general idea, how many books do you typically get through in a month?

When during the day, do you typically schedule your reading time or is it impromptu?

How many hours of reading do you get through in one sitting? In one day?

Do you start several books and catch up intermittently on each or do you stick to the one book and only move on once you've finished it?

What's the greatest obstacle or distractions you need to overcome to put in more reading hours? Or, what have you changed or done to make it easier for you to spend more time reading?

How do you go about choosing your titles? Any sites that you favor for recommendations?

What kind of genres do you favor? Why?

Do you find that you have more time for reading now that the Habs are eliminated or it makes no difference, you're always able to fit it in your schedule?

Please feel free to answer any or all questions, as your feedback could inspire others to further pursue their passion.

I'm overdue on several titles and am curious on what works for all of you.

Thanks in advance.

I really don’t read as much as I like to. No time really. I mean, I read a lot on the internet, but book books? Not really. I tend to only read 2-3 books a year. The last 6 I’ve read are:

How we did it: The Subban plan...
Meg
99: Stories of the game
The People vs Alex Cross
Capture or Kill
Darkly Dreaming Dexter

That said, I went on a family trip during March break and on the plane, beach and before bed, I read Darkly Dreaming Dexter from start to finish and started Dearly Devoted Dexter on the way home. I only got maybe up to page 30.

It wasn’t because I got bored, as the book was getting good, but for me, it’s all the distractions at “home”; i.e. work, errands, kid’s activities, TV and so on. I’ll figure a way out to continue as the book was getting good.

I tend to read one book at a time. Sometimes I’ll read two if they are different genres, but usually one. I prefer crime thrillers, but enjoy science fiction as well.

As for choosing what to read, I don’t usually go discovering new books but rather check out something somebody recommended or just whatever I am in the mood for.

I guess the best way to describe me as a reader is that I am not a passionate reader but when I do read, I enjoy it.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I love this post. This post is a great idea. It's something I've been struggling with myself so I'm eager to say what people say. I'll try to give it a go as well.
I read in batches outside of work. In terms of books related to work... A lot. Summing articles, books, reports, my own writing and dictations, I likely read and write some hundreds of pages a week. It burns me out from reading leasurely however and thats been the hardest part. It wasnt that bad in med school, but since residency I likely dropped from a dozen or more novels a year to half that, if not less. I read 3 non-work related books since the new years, which I'm satisfied with considering work, sports, family and leasure.

When during the day, do you typically schedule your reading time or is it impromptu?
Before going to sleep and since a bit, in the shitter. Instead of taking a dump with my cell, I flag a book, relax and let one rip. Half kidding here.

On vacation, I read about 4 hours a day and usually finish books in 2-4 days depending on the length. If not, In happy with 20-60 minutes if I dont have to prepare a conference or a court date, which happens too often for my liking.

Do you start several books and catch up intermittently on each or do you stick to the one book and only move on once you've finished it?
Just one at a time. I find trying to read multiple books ends up with me not finishing any. Same story with video games.

What's the greatest obstacle or distractions you need to overcome to put in more reading hours? Or, what have you changed or done to make it easier for you to spend more time reading?

I wouldnt call them distractions. Moreso obligations and other hobbies competing with reading. I have interest in a lot of things, notably hockey and particularly prospect. Often, I'll rather read/watch/learn about hockey skill/scouting or watch a shift by shift. Having a 15 min window Ive been keeping before sleeping and when I go for a no.2's helped a bit. Less cell time, more reading. That said, reading is usually the first to go when it comes to making time for my social life.

How do you go about choosing your titles? Any sites that you favor for recommendations?
I start with a theme I'm interested, then a type of book, then I make relevant searches on the net until the abstract hooks and I see positive reviews. I dont know any sites. I usually buy used from amazon or on kindle.

Historical novels, anything history actually, fantasy, politics, character driven story, stories with strong psychoanalytic themes.

Do you find that you have more time for reading now that the Habs are eliminated or it makes no difference, you're always able to fit it in your schedule?

Yes, but I dedicate less time to Habs games as I grow older.

Please feel free to answer any or all questions, as your feedback could inspire others to further pursue their passion.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Runner77

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
OK, what's on the hopper? Is it only a 3-book list or could there be more?

There's always another book lol.

The two ahead of it are the French Revolution by Ian Davidson (pretty forgettable if you ask me). But then there's another short book that I just can't wait to dig into: Philosophy and Real Politics by Raymond Geuss. I just finished Geuss' ''Changing the Subject''and it was awesome. Would really recommend if you're into philosophy but not a philosopher by training.

Reactions: Runner77 and Habset

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Approx. two a month. More if I'm reading best-seller thriller books, less if it's a longer biography.

For me, reading pairs with eating. I'm out early almost every day, grab breakfast at a client's restaurant, do about an hour of reading. Duck into cafes or other restaurants at various times and almost always have a book with me. At home, grab a snack, grab my book. Don't know if I'm capable of reading if my mouth isn't chewing.

One at a time. I can't imagine juggling two books anymore than I could see myself running back and forth between theatres to watch two movies.

Obstacles to reading: Laundry. Vacuuming. Chores. In other words, Mrs. Lshap. Kidding. Kind of. I'm lucky to have a self-generated business, so I can carve out a reading groove at any time. But when I'm in that groove I don't like outside interruptions. Clients calling? Okay. Take stuff out of the dryer? Sigh... okay, but grudgingly.

Just finished a great sci-fi novel (Children of Time). Lots of thriller/mystery/crime stuff. First love is historical fiction and well-written history.

It's not the hockey that distracts me from reading, it's the activity right here on HF. This site is the fast-food version of reading. Most of it might be bursts of semi-literate crap, but it's still, technically, a reading experience. What makes it appealing is that it's interactive. I read you, you read me. And of course, it's a story that never ends.

The other question I'll pose: How has reading books influenced your own writing? Is there an awareness of a particular writing style when you type thoughts?

cashinstinct

Cash is King
Jul 2, 2014
Been reading another amazing book by the most recent Economics Nobel Prize recipient Richard Thaler, called Misbehaving. It's about the story how Behavioral Economy/Finance came to be.
I was disappointed by that book personally, could not finish it... I guess I did not expect an history book, I thought it would be more findings about behavioral economics.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
the older I get, the more audiobooks I listen to. I hardly read these days, just close my eyes and listen.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I own the Jared Diamond book, had purchased it a while back but never got around to finishing it.

Any further thoughts? Has anyone else tackled it?
Exact same experience. Started it, liked the premise, but for some reason I never finished it. It's on the bookshelf in my office... might give it another shot now that we're talking about it.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
Been reading another amazing book by the most recent Economics Nobel Prize recipient Richard Thaler, called Misbehaving. It's about the story how Behavioral Economy/Finance came to be.

Good book! Maybe check out Michael Lewis' the Undoing Project, it gives a good context as to how Kahneman and Tvresky started the study.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
****ing awesome book.

Yup, if you haven't read I also suggest A man for all Markets by Edward Thorp, he's the maths teacher behind the movie 21 (he was not as evil as the movie made him out to be). The guy is a genius at finding ways to exploit inefficencies.

Good book! Maybe check out Michael Lewis' the Undoing Project, it gives a good context as to how Kahneman and Tvresky started the study.

I read that one last year, it's in my bookshelf ;) Next up is Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow.

I was disappointed by that book personally, could not finish it... I guess I did not expect an history book, I thought it would be more findings about behavioral economics.

I was personally scared that it would be too similar to Nudge, his other famous book about behavioral economics, but it clearly was not. I liked the book because of that. If you haven't read Nudge, it has a lot of applied Behavioral Theories, I'm certain you'll like it. I'm actually thinking about sending an extract of the book that treats about Electricity companies to Hydro-Québec's CEO. With a simple. nudge (a smiley or sad face), you can make people's electricity consumption less important by comparing their consumption to the average household in their neighborhood.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The other question I'll pose: How has reading books influenced your own writing? Is there an awareness of a particular writing style when you type thoughts?

Not for me. Not consciously, at least. I've always written in a journalistic style.

-30-

Reactions: Lshap

cashinstinct

Cash is King
Jul 2, 2014
My objective is 52 books a year (1 per week), so around 4-5 a month.

I choose books maximum 250 pages typically, otherwise I don’t stick around.

Commute time in bus.
Weekdays when my kids are not out of control

Typically maximum 1.5 hour per day, considering time in bus.
Week-ends I can read more.

One book at time typically.
I don’t stick, if I don’t like it, I don’t force myself to finish books...

If I want to switch book, it’s a good sign I won’t come back to finish it.

Kids is biggest distraction for sure!
my cellphone is 2nd distraction..

Otherwise when in bus, I don’t bring iPad or Nintendo Switch... won’t read enough with those around.

You searched for Books | Farnam Street

Search Results Books

books mentioned in LaPresse+

Behavioral finances / psychology / personal finances

why: personal interests. I enjoy these books typically. I learn stuff.

Do you find that you have more time for reading now that the Habs are eliminated or it makes no difference, you're always able to fit it in your schedule?.
No difference. I can’t read weekdays nights because of my kids most of the time.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Currently reading Adhikaansh Tayal's 'The Highest Knowledge'

When I got it and first opened it, I honestly thought it was a joke, the way it was written and all. But then I began to read it, and, well, it's deeper than it looks at first, many times I bursted out laughing because I read a line I already thought for myself at one time or another, or conceptualized while daydreaming... the kind of book you can read in a day (like Jonathan Livingstone or the like), but then you re-read it a couple times cause you know you missed something deeper...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
May 2nd will be the 500th anniversary of Leonardo Da Vinci passing away so I picked up a copy of a biography on him by Walter Isaacson.

A number of his notebooks still exist (Bill Gates bought a bunch of them years ago) and he kept notes on his thoughts . Alot of his drawings in the book as well. His curiosity about nature including flight inspired ideas.

Have got my eye on a biography of Ernest Hemingway next.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I am reading "The Boat of a Million Years" by Poul Anderson, it's OK which means I read a few pages each night before I fall asleep. It's about people who doesn't age or get sick. They can die in an accident of get killed by someone else or suicide. The book starts with a man who is a Phoenician. The same people come back over and over again. Right now it is the time of Cardinal Richelieu. I still have to be stoned each night to be able to sleep and not think about my late dog. I bought a pendant and a necklace where I have some of Snoop's aches, that way I have him with me. I never ever thought this would be as hard as it has been. Plus I get reminded on Facebook and Google (from the now closed Google +) since I posted so many pictures of Snoop and I get "This was 5 years ago, 8 years ago etc."

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I've got some great suggestions, even from you knuckleheads I bicker with daily, so thanks. Ordered The Happiness advantage and Misbehaving.

Reactions: Habset and Runner77

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I just finished ‘ The Roman Empire and the Silk Routes’. I liked it, it gave a different perspective to the Roman Empire.

I started reading ‘The Barbary Corsairs’, I don’t know what to think, it just seems to be about random events that happened in the Mediterranean Sea. Hopefully, it will get better as I get more into the book.

Amazon has some free books available for download, so I grabbed ‘Go’ and ‘ the Passion according to Carmela’. I started reading Carmela, it’s about the Cuban Revolution, I think I’ll read that now, I started and it seems to be something I’ll like.

————-

Someone asked about finding books, you should consider subscribing to Bookbub, they search Amazon and Kobo for deals on books, usually .99 to $1.99 range and if you want a book there’s a link to Kobo or Amazon to purchase. Choose the categories you’re interested in and they’ll send you an email everyday they find something in the topics you’re interested in.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Thanks in advance.

I have two gears. Either I read a lot and bring along my kobo everywhere i go because I can't put it down. Or I'm absolutely non-plussed about reading anything.

There were some years where I could read up to 50 in a single year, to now, where I can't barely read one book per month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad