OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Like, ''free will is an illusion'' hard determinist?

That's more a philosophical question right now.

Hard determinism means you need to be agnostic in your approach.

Right now, with the data available, i'd say we do have a form of free will, but it's not what we thought, to the degree that we thought, nor the form. We have "free won't". We can consciously inhibit our impulses. For the rest, there's just too much implication from unconscious parts of the brain to pretend we have the all-encompassing free will the old philosophers thought. These old philosophers so many of you like to read, that so many academic curriculum hold in such high regards. They have mislead us into believing we have some sort of ultimate agency, which we just do not have.

Sorry if i took so much time to reply. I was off the boards for a while.

Reactions: Runner77

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Approx. two a month. More if I'm reading best-seller thriller books, less if it's a longer biography.

For me, reading pairs with eating. I'm out early almost every day, grab breakfast at a client's restaurant, do about an hour of reading. Duck into cafes or other restaurants at various times and almost always have a book with me. At home, grab a snack, grab my book. Don't know if I'm capable of reading if my mouth isn't chewing.

One at a time. I can't imagine juggling two books anymore than I could see myself running back and forth between theatres to watch two movies.

Obstacles to reading: Laundry. Vacuuming. Chores. In other words, Mrs. Lshap. Kidding. Kind of. I'm lucky to have a self-generated business, so I can carve out a reading groove at any time. But when I'm in that groove I don't like outside interruptions. Clients calling? Okay. Take stuff out of the dryer? Sigh... okay, but grudgingly.

Just finished a great sci-fi novel (Children of Time). Lots of thriller/mystery/crime stuff. First love is historical fiction and well-written history.

It's not the hockey that distracts me from reading, it's the activity right here on HF. This site is the fast-food version of reading. Most of it might be bursts of semi-literate crap, but it's still, technically, a reading experience. What makes it appealing is that it's interactive. I read you, you read me. And of course, it's a story that never ends.

The other question I'll pose: How has reading books influenced your own writing? Is there an awareness of a particular writing style when you type thoughts?

Recommendations for historical fiction books ?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ken Follett was a successful thriller writer of WW2 novels who moved his dramatic focus back a few centuries to 12th to 16th century England. Luckily, he didn't lose any of his pacing and ear for suspense. His first historical novel, Pillars of the Earth, was one of the best books I've ever read, followed by the almost as great World Without End and continued a couple of years ago with Column of Fire, which I loved. He also wrote a trilogy of novels spanning the 20th century through multiple generations of families. He's a great writer and very easy to read.

For a deep dive into the history of some of the world's famous cities, try Edward Rutherfurd. Each book traces the history of a single place -- London, Paris, New York, etc -- through the lineage of fictional families, as they and their descendants move through the centuries interweaving with famous figures of each period.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Ken Follett was a successful a thriller writer of WW2 novels who moved his dramatic focus back a few centuries to 12th to 16th century England. Luckily, he didn't lose any of his pacing and ear for suspense. His first historical novel, Pillars of the Earth, was one of the best books I've ever read, followed by the almost as great World Without End and continued a couple of years ago with Column of Fire, which I loved. He also wrote a trilogy of novels spanning the 20th century through multiple generations of families. He's a great writer and very easy to read.

For a deep dive into the history of some of the world's famous cities, try Edward Rutherfurd. Each book traces the history of a single place -- London, Paris, New York, etc -- through the lineage of fictional families, as they and their descendants move through the centuries interweaving with famous figures of each period.

First time I hear about Rutherfurd, thanks for the recommendation, I'll look it up.

The topics actually remind a bit of how Molson et le Québec was written, although it was mostly about one dynasty in the case of this book, but I loved to follow the family through the years.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Ken Follett was a successful thriller writer of WW2 novels who moved his dramatic focus back a few centuries to 12th to 16th century England. Luckily, he didn't lose any of his pacing and ear for suspense. His first historical novel, Pillars of the Earth, was one of the best books I've ever read, followed by the almost as great World Without End and continued a couple of years ago with Column of Fire, which I loved. He also wrote a trilogy of novels spanning the 20th century through multiple generations of families. He's a great writer and very easy to read.

Agreed on Ken Follett, they're excellent books. On the french side, I recommend Maurice Druon.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm reading for my bookclub this book:
To Be a Machine : Adventures Among Cyborgs, Utopians, Hackers, and the Futurists Solving the Modest Problem of Death

by
Mark O'Connell

It is a pretty cool read all about trans-humanism and AI tech stuff. Pretty scary in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm reading for my book this book:
To Be a Machine : Adventures Among Cyborgs, Utopians, Hackers, and the Futurists Solving the Modest Problem of Death

by
Mark O'Connell

It is a pretty cool read all about trans-humanism and AI tech stuff. Pretty scary in a lot of ways.

Lemme guess... artificial intelligence is portrayed mostly in human superego projection and an almost complete omission of our hyper sociality and empathic nature in the expression of those AIs??

Reactions: barbu

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I'm reading an Anthropology book linking superstition and traditional medecine. It's called Culture and Curing, Anthropological Perspectives on Traditional Medical Beliefs and Practices. It's an old book from the 1970s, when this perticular social science was at its peak. It's very interesting, it is basically the sociology of the outcasts of the civilizations, and their social structure. It traces traditions to the threshold of magic!

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I just finished re-reading God Against The Gods by Jonathan Kirsch. It's basically about monotheism vs polytheism and it covers the time of Constantine, his son, Constantius II and his nephew, Julian. The former two were emperors important with the ascendancy of the Catholic church and latter emperor who tried to take the Roman Empire back to "paganism".

This week I started re-reading (yes I am in re-reading mode) La Voragine (The Vortex) by Jose Eustasio Rivera. It's a turn of the 20th century novel that starts in Bogota and end in the rubber plantations of the Amazon. Wikipedia described it as : This novel narrates the adventures of Arturo Cova, a hot-headed proud chauvinist and his lover Alicia, as they elope from Bogotá, through the eastern plains and later, escaping from criminal misgivings, through the amazon rainforest of Colombia. If you can read Spanish I recommend reading it in it's original language. But the English version is also good if you don't mind melodramatic dialogue.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It's actually non fiction but the diary of Samuel Pepys is an interesting view into life during the 1660's in London. He was a member of parliament and kept copious notes about his life and everything going on at the time (including his mistresses). The diary is available for free on Project Gutenberg (or this website All diary entries (The Diary of Samuel Pepys) ), there are also several books available (I read Voices from the World of Samuel Pepys by Jonathan Bastable). One example, he heard about the London fire, went and watched then recorded detailed notes in his diary. Almost like a reporter getting in a time machine, going back and describing what they saw.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Killing Kennedy, amazing time in American history from dealing with USSR, the Bay of Pigs invasion, Cuba Missile crisis, Civil Rights, MLK and of course the assassination of John Kennedy.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Interesting hockey book coming out in the fall, won`t be mass marketed though...

rs=h:500,cg:true,m

23toWin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
PBS had a recent program where they showed a list of the 100 "most loved" American books, as compiled by online voters: Books | The Great American Read | PBS

It would be a tedious exercise to dispute their rankings as everyone would have their preferences and they would likely not be in agreement.

Rather than do that, just wondering which of the books in their list you've read and whether there are any that you continue to cherish and why.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
PBS had a recent program where they showed a list of the 100 "most loved" American books, as compiled by online voters: Books | The Great American Read | PBS

It would be a tedious exercise to dispute their rankings as everyone would have their preferences and they would likely not be in agreement.

Rather than do that, just wondering which of the books in their list you've read and whether there are any that continue to cherish and why.

Thanks in advance.
I think I've only read 4 of those (Grapes of Wrath, 1984, Tom Sawyer and Call of the Wild) many years ago, maybe because I read mostly non fiction. Have seen movies of around 25 others. Surprised On the Road (Kerouac) isn't there.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Rather than do that, just wondering which of the books in their list you've read and whether there are any that continue to cherish and why.

Thanks in advance.

I didnt count but ive read at least 1/3 of those books and I gotta say, they should've gone for a different title cause they seemed to have simply drawn on popularity rather than the work itself. Not best, but rather most popular books.

Many books could objectively be higher and others, much lower.

Ayn Rand's POS novel Atlas Shrugged is there, no wonder.

Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath is there but not Of Mice and Men, what gives?

Would've thought RL Stevenson would have a book up there.

The Contortionist Handbook should definitely be there.

And Palahniuk's Fight Club. Or at least Lullaby.

Life of Pi is much better than a lot of books in the list.

Cormak McCarthy's The Road... not there.

That list seems to have been made by librarians. Authors that solely cater to men seem to be almost inexistant, except for some scifi. No Ellis. No Roth. No Barry. No Douglas Coupland. Hey Nostradamus! should be there.

Yeah.. let's not argue over that list. It stinks quite simply.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didnt count but ive read at least 1/3 of those books and I gotta say, they should've gone for a different title cause they seemed to have simply drawn on popularity rather than the work itself. Not best, but rather most popular books.

That list seems to have been made by librarians. Authors that solely cater to men seem to be almost inexistant, except for some scifi. No Ellis. No Roth. No Barry. No Douglas Coupland. Hey Nostradamus! should be there.

Your post evokes exactly why I didn't want to get into the merits of the list but rather to focus on some of the works suggested, to see if any of them were among your favorites. I generally hate book lists, they're so ripe for controversy and if that's what we're after, we can find it elsewhere in spades.

You do raise great points, though. Actually, would love to read more about the ones you mention that aren't on the list and why you recommend them.

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

Rather than do that, just wondering which of the books in their list you've read and whether there are any that you continue to cherish and why.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't go through all 100 but I've read a bunch of those - I really liked The Catcher in the Rye and The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter - all of them helped me to love reading at different times in my life. I also really liked To Kill A Mockingbird - it was a fun read as well.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm currently reading Factfulness by Hans Rosling - it's a really fun non-fiction read that is pretty approachable to read as well. I would recommend it for anyone looking for something to read. I'm reading it for my book club.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Thanks in advance.

So many newish books on that list. Was so surprised I've read more than I thought though,but not lately, who's got the time. lol.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I agree making such a list is pointless to begin with , given how subjective what makes a great book is. On the other hand, it can be a good tool for a young reader to expand his/her horizons and get to know some of the classics. The literary world can be a bit intimidating and we all have to start somewhere after all . Growing up, people in my family didn't read much and I had no one to recommend anything to me so I could have used a list like that. Instead I just went with whichever book had the coolest cover art :laugh:

Last edited:

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017

We have a different understanding of the meaning of "objectively".

The list touts itself as the "most loved" based on PBS viewer polling. So yes, it's a measure of popularity. Which can be "objectively" measured, unlike greatness, which cannot.

Currently reading There, There. Interesting. Recommend Frederick Douglas. Finished that last month. Tremendous.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Killing Kennedy, amazing time in American history from dealing with USSR, the Bay of Pigs invasion, Cuba Missile crisis, Civil Rights, MLK and of course the assassination of John Kennedy.
I am 55, scary times compared to today. Landing on the moon, Woodstock, was pretty cool though. Always wanted to go an Elvis concert or Ali fight. Never got the chance at either

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->