OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Read and finished Sapiens as well as Fall of Giants from Ken Follett in the last week. They were captivating reads and I'm going to buy the rest of century trilogy. Thanks to everyone contributing for the recommandations.

I just finished the century trilogy. The first 2 are good the 3rd one was not as good for me.

Other books that i have read recently are The Power of the Dog and THE CARTEL by Don Winslow both are great read.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Where do you guys get your books, aside from amazon ? Any good websites for buying or renting to recommend ?

There's a local bookstore in my city that I like, so I choose to support it. Plus, sometimes they have good titles that I wouldn't have considered otherwise. I picked up ''Jargon of Authenticity'' when I was there last time. I quite liked what I had experienced of Adorno and was about to jump into the deep end with Dialectic of Enlightenment, but this is a nice little 100 page work on something that I had been thinking about anyways.

Reactions: Fenris

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
There's a local bookstore in my city that I like, so I choose to support it. Plus, sometimes they have good titles that I wouldn't have considered otherwise. I picked up ''Jargon of Authenticity'' when I was there last time. I quite liked what I had experienced of Adorno and was about to jump into the deep end with Dialectic of Enlightenment, but this is a nice little 100 page work on something that I had been thinking about anyways.

Interesting. How do you like it ? I know you're less of a fan of psychology as a science, but I use psychoanalysis in my work and authors there seem to make it a sport to want to coin the term, arguing very slightly different takes on the same phenomena merits new jargon.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
just finished market wizards by jack d. schwager and the bitcoin standard by saifedean ammous. recommand both. i received homo deus today to pretty hype, i did really like sapiens.

Are you in finance ? The only book I've read that I still refer to is the intelligent investor. I'm open to new reads though.

I'm starting understanding power by Chomsky. Love it. One of my regrets is having missed his visit to Montreal a few years ago.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Interesting. How do you like it ? I know you're less of a fan of psychology as a science, but I use psychoanalysis in my work and authors there seem to make it a sport to want to coin the term, arguing very slightly different takes on the same phenomena merits new jargon.

Haven't cracked it open yet, it's 3rd in the hopper lol. I'll bump this thread when I do read it though.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
would really recommand japenese candlestick charting techniques by Steve Nison to anybody interressed in reading chart/ taking care of his own finance. it a very good entery point, cause the subject look so overwelming when you start from scratch. it ez to find in pdf too.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
would really recommand japenese candlestick charting techniques by Steve Nison to anybody interressed in reading chart/ taking care of his own finance. it a very good entery point, cause the subject look so overwelming when you start from scratch. it ez to find in pdf too.

tenor.gif

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
Are you in finance ? The only book I've read that I still refer to is the intelligent investor. I'm open to new reads though.

I'm starting understanding power by Chomsky. Love it. One of my regrets is having missed his visit to Montreal a few years ago.

im not in finance but ive read alot of book on the subject last 18 months (im sick and have all the time in the world) i look foward to get some certificate to work in that field tho.

any books on crowd psychology are awesome to understand market. Charles Mackay memoirs of extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds is dope. old but still a good read.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
sry for multi post but, michael lewis, liar's poker, flashboys and the big short are nice too.

ray dalio books (all 3) are rly good, hes the biggest fund manager in the world (brigewater fund)

lugwid von mises or fredrick hayek, 2 guys of the austrian school of economic are must read too. dont have any particular book on the top of my head, but their overall work is great.

rich dad poor dad by robert kiyosaki, a must read, short and ez too.

Reactions: Runner77

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc

i just take a look at the chomsky book, look nice, ty for the suggestion.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
"Dead Man Walking" by Sister Helen Prejean

It's about the criminal justice system, specifically the death penalty. It was made into a Susan Sarandon movie several years ago which I never saw. It's actually a very unfortunate read because it was written in 1993 about events in the 80's but it could very well have been written today, nothing has changed.

cashinstinct

Cash is King
Jul 2, 2014
Top 3 for first 3 months of 2019

In English:
- educated : a memoir / Tara westover

Girl getting away from family to get education

- Lake Success : a novel / :Shteyngart, Gary

Hedge fund guy in New York leaving family

in French only:

- Les millionnaires ne sont pas ceux que vous croyez / Nicolas Bérubé

If you want to be comfortable financially, you need to do things different than others are doing with their money

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Guns, germs and steel from Jared Diamond.

Also,

The better Angels of our Nature: why violence has declined by Steven Pinker

Both are eye openers.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Guns, germs and steel from Jared Diamond.

Also,

The better Angels of our Nature: why violence has declined by Steven Pinker

Both are eye openers.

I own the Jared Diamond book, had purchased it a while back but never got around to finishing it.

Any further thoughts? Has anyone else tackled it?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thought of some general questions about how we all maintain our reading habit.

As a general idea, how many books do you typically get through in a month?

When during the day, do you typically schedule your reading time or is it impromptu?

How many hours of reading do you get through in one sitting? In one day?

Do you start several books and catch up intermittently on each or do you stick to the one book and only move on once you've finished it?

What's the greatest obstacle or distractions you need to overcome to put in more reading hours? Or, what have you changed or done to make it easier for you to spend more time reading?

How do you go about choosing your titles? Any sites that you favor for recommendations?

What kind of genres do you favor? Why?

Do you find that you have more time for reading now that the Habs are eliminated or it makes no difference, you're always able to fit it in your schedule?

Please feel free to answer any or all questions, as your feedback could inspire others to further pursue their passion.

I'm overdue on several titles and am curious on what works for all of you.

Thanks in advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad