OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Reading Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett. This trilogy is fun to read because ordinary protagonists find themselves interacting with historical figures, and the behavior of these historical figures is quite believable. In this one, we have the following, just to name two countries...
American
Real historical characters
John F. Kennedy, 35th US PresidentLyndon B. Johnson, 36th US President
Jackie, his wifeRichard Nixon, 37th US President
Bobby Kennedy, his brotherJimmy Carter, 39th US President
Dave Powers, assistant to President KennedyRonald Reagan, 40th US President
Pierre Salinger, President Kennedy’s press officerGeorge H.W. Bush, 41st US President
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, president of the Southern Christian Leadership ConferenceJ. Edgar Hoover, Director of the FBI
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Russian:
Nikita Sergeyevitch Khrushchev, First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet UnionLeonid Brezhnev, Khrushchev’s successor
Andrei Gromyko, Foreign Minister under KhrushchevYuri Andropov, successor to Brezhnev
Rodion Malinovsky, Defence Minister under KhrushchevKonstantin Chernenko, successor to Andropov
Alexei Kosygin, Chairman of the Council of Ministers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I love Ken Follett. His older war thrillers were very good, but his historical fiction novels are some of the best books I've ever read. I've devoured 'em all, starting with Pillars of the Earth, and have preordered every one since. His 20th century trilogy - the one you're reading - was great. I'd highly recommend his last one from 2017, A Column of Fire, which goes back to 16th century England and is actually better than the trilogy. Not that I have a particular love for that period, but the story and characters are so well-written you come away feeling like you've had a feast. Super satisfying.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Going on the lighter side, I'm reading two books currently.

One is the Keith Richards's autobiography, "Life". He may have been smashed out of his brain at times but dammit, he remembers everything quite well. A good read, enjoying the parts about how he grew up and his influences.

Also concurrently reading The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix. It's about a dysfunctional family in NY. The relationship between 4 siblings unravels on account of an inheritance they are supposed to get soon but that is being compromised by the actions of one sibling in particular. However, they all have their warts and their self-destructiveness has kept my interest. Hoping it holds up til the end.
"Life" was a great read. I know these autobiographies are ghost-written, but Richards comes across as unexpectedly thoughtful, with some great perspectives on so many notable people, starting of course with Mick and the boys. Richards really is the heart and soul of the band.

Reactions: Runner77

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Brain Droppings: George Carlin, gone way too soon. Still love myself some Carlin, never gets old, perhaps the greatest comedian of all-time.
Man, you guys are nailing all my favourites this morning! From my favourite author, Follett, to my favourite comedian, Carlin. One of my regrets is never having seen him live, but George Carlin was a brilliant guy who found his voice in middle-age as a hybrid raconteur/comedian. His jokes were great, but they were built around his philosophical musings, these long, angry tirades that ripped apart everything from god to golf to America to the green movement. He was merciless.

I have his biography, "Last Words", which was good, honest, worth reading, but not overly compelling. Maybe because he can't work up the same passion and anger for himself that he directed outward at the world.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That's the only Carlin book I have and read.

I miss Carlin. All my favorite comedy quotes are from him. Im an agnostic atheist and I love telling believers that I leave symbols for the symbol-minded.

My favorite quote from Brain Droppings was the one about how having asian symbol tattoos doesn't make you more enlightened.

So many quotes, most of them inappropriate for this forum.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Carlin's comedy helped me deal with being an atheist in a very religious family when I was younger, I used to quote him quite often to my relatives. He always had a very well thought out and rational (albeit super vulgar but that was his style in a nutshell) opinion on religion in general that I found very inspiring.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I love Ken Follett. His older war thrillers were very good, but his historical fiction novels are some of the best books I've ever read. I've devoured 'em all, starting with Pillars of the Earth, and have preordered every one since. His 20th century trilogy - the one you're reading - was great. I'd highly recommend his last one from 2017, A Column of Fire, which goes back to 16th century England and is actually better than the trilogy. Not that I have a particular love for that period, but the story and characters are so well-written you come away feeling like you've had a feast. Super satisfying.
Thanks, LShap, I will track down some of these as well. I really enjoy this interplay between historical figures and fictional protagonists in his novels. My main problem is that my job is not 9-to-5, especially when the fall and winter terms heat up. I can make time in the summer and justify to myself the time spent reading fiction then, but I almost feel guilty not reading something scientific (to stay current) during the rest of the year.

Edit: there, I got A Column of Fire in hardcover format on EBay. Tough to beat that price ($4.99 plus $3.68 shipping). I will try to get through it during my last week of holiday in mid-August. Renting a beachhouse at Hilton Head. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I had just bought the trilogy two weeks ago but had not gotten around to starting it. Thanks for the positive review, it'll incite me to get to it as soon as I finish my current readings.
I definitely endorse these books. Just for fun, here are a few historical characters in Fall of Giants (book 1) and Winter of the World (book 2):
Book 1...
US
Woodrow Wilson, 28th PresidentWilliam Jennings Bryan, Secretary of State
Josephus Daniels, Secretary of the Navy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

UK
King George VQueen Mary
Mansfield Smith-Cumming, called “C”Sir Edward Grey, MP, Foreign Secretary
Sir William Tyrrell, private secretary to GreyFrances Stevenson, mistress of Lloyd George
Winston Churchill, MPH.H. Asquith, MP, Prime Minister
Sir John French
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Germany & Austria
Prince Karl Lichnowsky, German Ambassador to LondonField Marshal Paul von Hindenburg
General of Infantry Erich LudendorffTheobald von Bethmann-Hollweg, Chancellor
Arthur Zimmermann, Foreign Minister
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Russia
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin, leader of the Bolshevik PartyLeon Trotsky
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Book 2...
US

President F. D. RooseveltCordell Hull, Secretary of State
Marguerite ‘Missy’ LeHand, his assistantSumner Welles, Undersecretary of State
Vice-President Harry TrumanColonel Leslie Groves, Army Corps of Engineers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Russia
Lavrentiy Beria, head of the secret policeVyacheslav Molotov, Foreign Minister
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
That's the only Carlin book I have and read.

I miss Carlin. All my favorite comedy quotes are from him. Im an agnostic atheist and I love telling believers that I leave symbols for the symbol-minded.

My favorite quote from Brain Droppings was the one about how having asian symbol tattoos doesn't make you more enlightened.
I've enjoyed George Carlin in my time, but for me the funniest, wriest (and best of all, most iconoclastic) humor was that of Steven Wright. I have no idea if he has written anything.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Curious if anyone has read any books by Laurence Bergreen?

Writes biographical type books (i.e. Magellan, Marco Polo, Al Capone, Louis Armstrong, etc.)

Currently reading his book on Columbus : The Four Voyages. Some of the expériences remind me of Errol Flynn's autobiography : My Wicked Wicked Ways.

Last edited:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
"Life" was a great read. I know these autobiographies are ghost-written, but Richards comes across as unexpectedly thoughtful, with some great perspectives on so many notable people, starting of course with Mick and the boys. Richards really is the heart and soul of the band.

I recently read one of those that was not ghost written. What does this Button do? by Bruce Dickenson, lead singer of Iron Maiden. He apparently wrote it all himself by hand. He is a interesting individual in that he seems to excel at whatever he does, in addition to fronting Iron Maiden, he is an airline pilot (he flies the band,crew and set from show to show in a 747), he is a world class fencer who could have attended the 84 Olympics but was on tour with Maiden at the time and he owns a Aircraft maintence business that does heavy maintenance on airliners.

Whole I enjoyed the book, it is certainly not a tell all like many of the rock star autobiographies. He deliberately avoids wives, girlfriends, kids ex-wives etc. Great bit about getting kicked out of boarding school for cooking the headmasters clams. Drank the wine they were supposed to be cooked in and cooked them in piss. Great history on playing a concert in Sarjevo during the height of Balkan conflict.

Ken Follet is amazing

Reactions: Runner77 and Lshap

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Started reading "Molson et le Québec". It's a very interesting book, about how intertwined the history of the province and the Molson family are. It's also a nice story that has taught me a lot about Montréal as a city.

The Molsons were everywhere, they have been at one point, on top of their famous Brewery, in the Distillery business, steam boat business and even Banking. I'm roughly halfway through it, but it's definitely a cool read for anybody who likes history or who is intrigued by the Molson family.
118185.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On the subject of rock autobiographies, which is the best you've ever read and why?

I had once heard George Strombo mention his favorite and completely forgot about it. If anyone knows what it is, can you please post it? He was particularly bullish about it.

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
I'm currently reading Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe, by Stuart McLean. I love his short stories. A really great writer taken from us way too soon.

Last edited:

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
On the subject of rock autobiographies, which is the best you've ever read and why?

I had once heard George Strombo mention his favorite and completely forgot about it. If anyone knows what it is, can you please post it? He was particularly bullish about it.

Not an autobiography, but the Jim Morrison biography "No One Here Gets Out Alive" helped to revive interest The Doors when it was released in '80, about 10 years after Morrison's death. Apocalypse Now was about a year old then and the opening scene is nothing without "The End". A new generation (including myself) was introduced to the band by the the movie, the book and an accompanying greatest hits album. Radio stations throughout North America, including CHOM in Montreal, began to play the Doors hits and deep cuts frequently through the 80's. If not for that book and the subsequent resurgence of interest in the band, it's likely that Oliver Stone doesn't sign on to direct The Doors which was released in '91. With the release of that film, another generation of music lovers is introduced to the band. And with three decades of listeners, the band is now cemented as one of the greatest.

My sister bought the book for me as a birthday or Xmas present sometime shortly after it was released. I read it several times in a row, while fighting off friends who wanted to borrow it. I was just developing my critical thinking ability then so it escaped me that the book mostly glorified Morrison's exploits, but man it was fun. I bought into the troubled genius persona utterly and completely, and ignored the obvious flaws in his personality. And most importantly, I also learned that I could be anything I wanted to be, do anything I wanted to do, and say anything I wanted to say. Later I learned to accept the consequences! That glimpse into Morrison's life gave me immeasurable confidence, and for that I will always be grateful.

I had the very good fortunate of finally seeing The Doors live in 2003. Krieger and Manzarek recruited Ian Astbury and he WAS Jim Morrison at that show. Man I've seen a lot of great shows, but this one might just be the best I've ever seen, given my love for the band and the the faithful reproduction of the live experience. This is the show: The Doors of the 21st Century, Wembley Arena, London

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I highly recommend Nourritures Canailles by Madeleine Ferrières, it's a synthesis based on a phd thesis discussing the development of french cuisine through the lens of what peasants were eating and how between the Renaissance and the 19th century. Since nearly none of them could write, and any cookbooks were purely aristocratic, she used a ton of indirect historical sources (contemporaneous works of fiction, biographies, notes, journal entries, travelling clerics, doctors or journeymen's accounts, shopping lists and any kind of first hand accounts) to source how and when certain classic elements of french food became a thing.

Mushrooms and certain kinds of cuts on beef were never eaten by higher classes for example. The development of the french fry only really came about in the mid 19th century once peanut oil became a staple, people generally used fats sparingly as it wasn't readily available. There were fast food tripe saleswomen dating back 300 years in the streets of Paris. Some restaurants specialized in second or third hand food, they would serve a combination of whatever the masters of households, and then their servants (who got the seconds) didn't eat. For a pittance you could get something called an "arlequin", which was a combo of all this stuff, for example you got a plate with half a fish, a couple rinds of cheese, half-eaten vegetables, parts of shellfish that weren't fully dug into, etc.

It's a fascinating book.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Lost in Bill Murray

His first biography, unauthorised & awesome!

Bow down to the coolest man on earth, do it!

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Lost in Bill Murray

His first biography, unauthorised & awesome!

Bow down to the coolest man on earth, do it!

Lost in Translation came out in the middle of the 5-year period when I was living in Japan, from Feb 2001 to Dec. 2005. There were a lot of scenes that I recognized as typically Japanese back then. Of course, I tried a lot harder to integrate than his character did in the movie.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Before i answer poster below i suggest reading Happy f***ing Birthday, a graphic novel, not for children, looks are misleading 'cause it's sorta disturbing in a funny way.

Lost in Translation came out in the middle of the 5-year period when I was living in Japan, from Feb 2001 to Dec. 2005. There were a lot of scenes that I recognized as typically Japanese back then. Of course, I tried a lot harder to integrate than his character did in the movie.
He's too laidback to properly integrate. To understand him we probably have to integrate Bill Murray but then we risk getting lost in him. j/k

I liked LIT, different role for him although Sophia Coppola wrote it for him. Razor's Edge is a lesser known film with BM that you might like.

Seems tough to integrate Japan's culture without complying to what seems overzealously conservative.

I hear the young generations are trying to come out of the mold though?

BTW i used to live in MTL.

Did you go to Japan to work/study?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I've enjoyed George Carlin in my time, but for me the funniest, wriest (and best of all, most iconoclastic) humor was that of Steven Wright. I have no idea if he has written anything.

You'll find it with his personal collection of seashells, scattered on beaches all over the world. Maybe you've seen it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad