OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Thinking of reading The Shining since I already have the book and the film is one of my all time favourites. I know the book and film differ in parts, but generally I find reading the book after seeing the film to be such a chore.
I actually like the book as much as the movie, I've got it pretty high on my best of King list, with Misery the clear number one. It's VERY different from the movie in pretty much everything outside of the empty hotel in the dead of winter setting . The characters and their interactions in particular are almost night and day. Having seen the movie will help you 'visualize'' the book but it shouldn't make you see a lot of the plot coming too long in advance or ruin some of the surprises.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Just finishing up ''Changing the Subject'' by Raymond Geuss. Good book for non-philosophers. I'm going to pick up his Philosophy and Real Politics next. His lectures are awesome, but I can't stand to listen to them: he sounds like an energetic winnie the pooh.

Reactions: cphabs

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Just finishing up ''Changing the Subject'' by Raymond Geuss. Good book for non-philosophers. I'm going to pick up his Philosophy and Real Politics next. His lectures are awesome, but I can't stand to listen to them: he sounds like an energetic winnie the pooh.

That's a....scary thing to imagine right there :whaaa?:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm reading Aristotle's Way by Edith Hall - it is a pretty digestible book about Aristotle's advice for living a good life. It's for my book club.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I actually like the book as much as the movie, I've got it pretty high on my best of King list, with Misery the clear number one. It's VERY different from the movie in pretty much everything outside of the empty hotel in the dead of winter setting . The characters and their interactions in particular are almost night and day. Having seen the movie will help you 'visualize'' the book but it shouldn't make you see a lot of the plot coming too long in advance or ruin some of the surprises.
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Re-reading for the 3rd time, Behave: the biology of humans at their best and worst behaviors, by Robert Sapolsky.

That book should be mandatory in high school in morals and ethics classes. It would.. it will, change the world.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Through my in-depth study of evolutionary theories, my understanding of this is that; everything boils down to the interaction between the collective genotype of our species and the environment, as we are transforming our environment through technological means, culture is evolving along with it through that interaction. Therefore, if you desire to go to the core understanding of how our modern society has been evolving, you need to expand your understanding of how our evolved nature adapted for the most part to an ancestral pre-agricultural environment is responding to novel environmental changes of modernity.

If you deem that line of reasoning compelling to explore, I would recommend the book; Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. I heard an overview of it, didn't have the chance to read it yet, on my reading list, but I do know that for good reasons it got popular and received good reviews. That being said, if you are interested in studying anything related to human beings at an individual or social level, nothing beats a good evolutionary psychology book(if you haven't read one already) if you seek to find the root of causal explanation in my opinion, gives you a logical framework under which we operate that will help you make all sorts of connections as you are absorbing new knowledge, I would recommend; Evolutionary Psychology: The New Science of the Mind. If you are further interested to simply but more precisely in learning about the effect of modernity propelled by deeper scientific understanding of the world through the generations, I would recommend Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress.
Started reading this post and thought, Wow, this sounds exactly like "Sapiens: A Brief History...". Sure enough...

Read the book on vacation in Jamaica in January and loved it. Harari is a very engaging writer. Very conversational and light tone to convey an enormous wealth of macro-concepts. He takes you on a journey starting from our pre-sapien state, winding through each stage of our physical, cultural, communal and global evolution, turning the whole thing into a compelling adventure story.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Wanted to watch the movie 'On the Road' (Jack Kerouac) so read the book first. I think the movie would be hard to follow without reading the book because it moves around alot. The story is based on 4 cross country US trips Kerouac made in the late 1940's and it captures the atmosphere at the time. The book reminds me of Grapes of Wrath/Goin' Down the Road/The Motorcycle Diaries. Highly recommend the book if those movies interested someone. Interesting that Kerouac spoke French, both his parents were originally from Québec.

Currently reading a Gary Cooper biography, some interesting back stories like he could have been in movies such as Gone With the Wind and Stagecoach but passed.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm reading The Gulag Archipelago. It's crazy how few people know just how bad it got over there.

The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956 by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Solzhenitsyn should be treated as a work of literature and a primary account, but not as a comprehensive study of the Gulag system. It was published in 1973 before any of the NKVD internal documents were available to anyone. But since, there have been a few papers written on the scale and nature of the gulag system that really sheds a lot of light on the whole situation.

Victims of the Soviet Penal System in the Pre-War Years: A First Approach on the Basis of Archival Evidence on JSTOR

https://www.jstor.org/stable/152781?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Through my in-depth study of evolutionary theories, my understanding of this is that; everything boils down to the interaction between the collective genotype of our species and the environment, as we are transforming our environment through technological means, culture is evolving along with it through that interaction. Therefore, if you desire to go to the core understanding of how our modern society has been evolving, you need to expand your understanding of how our evolved nature adapted for the most part to an ancestral pre-agricultural environment is responding to novel environmental changes of modernity.

If you deem that line of reasoning compelling to explore, I would recommend the book; Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. I heard an overview of it, didn't have the chance to read it yet, on my reading list, but I do know that for good reasons it got popular and received good reviews. That being said, if you are interested in studying anything related to human beings at an individual or social level, nothing beats a good evolutionary psychology book(if you haven't read one already) if you seek to find the root of causal explanation in my opinion, gives you a logical framework under which we operate that will help you make all sorts of connections as you are absorbing new knowledge, I would recommend; Evolutionary Psychology: The New Science of the Mind. If you are further interested to simply but more precisely in learning about the effect of modernity propelled by deeper scientific understanding of the world through the generations, I would recommend Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress.

What's your next step in deepening your understanding of human nature?

I see something major missing. GxE will soon be portrayed a bit differently as we always assumed the interaction to simply be between genes and environment. The genome that gets copied doesn't hold up the myriad of genetic markings for methyl and acethyl groups that are function and region specific. Those are copied in basic forms from the actual arrangements in the host, on top of the genes. It's not a genetic copy, but a neurobio feedback copying basic marking structures from host to offspring. What we call epigenetic inheritance.

I mention this because on my own path in understanding human nature, i have found that modern psychology and anthropology are still often shackled by old dogmas that new sciences (in actual form) are bringing new light to, such as epigenetics and neurobiology. The latter is actually the one discipline that leads all the others right now.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
What's your next step in deepening your understanding of human nature?

I see something major missing. GxE will soon be portrayed a bit differently as we always assumed the interaction to simply be between genes and environment. The genome that gets copied doesn't hold up the myriad of genetic markings for methyl and acethyl groups that are function and region specific. Those are copied in basic forms from the actual arrangements in the host, on top of the genes. It's not a genetic copy, but a neurobio feedback copying basic marking structures from host to offspring. What we call epigenetic inheritance.

I mention this because on my own path in understanding human nature, i have found that modern psychology and anthropology are still often shackled by old dogmas that new sciences (in actual form) are bringing new light to, such as epigenetics and neurobiology. The latter is actually the one discipline that leads all the others right now.

I read a whole lot of neuroscience as well. However, I have been having some level of reticence to their discoveries since our understanding of how the brain operates at a neurological level in still his infancy; the tools we have to measure brain activity doesn't give us a perfect picture of everything that is going on, our ability to interpret how the data we collect manifests itself behaviorally is limited as well. Honest neuroscientists would admit that their understanding of the brain is at best incomplete. Following that understanding, the insights they give us are always somewhat speculative. Theoretically speaking, I believe that we could understand everything about the human mind from a neurological standpoint, but the science is far from it at this point. In that vein, at this point in time, I believe we can get greater insights by analyzing behavioral phenotypes following an evolutionary reasoning since the human brain has been programmed through adaptations by natural selection. Therefore, by analyzing the human species patterns in behavioral phenotypes through cross-cultural and historical studies following an evolutionary framework, you should obtain great insights about how the brain operates despite lacking the actual comprehension of how it manifests itself at a neurological level. That being said, both can and should supplement one another in their understanding as we progress toward a unified scientific understanding of the mind.

What you pointed out about the effect of epigenetic factors is quite interesting, I don't exactly know how much it comes influencing the genomes in their phenotypic expression, for the most part, I don't believe it should affect too much our evolutionary interpretations of phenotypes. At least for now, it seems difficult to account for.

I do agree that modern psychology and anthropology are still often shackled by old dogmas. One of the reason is that academic institutions are slow to adapt to the rate of scientific discoveries. I found myself being less and less mainstream in my thinking the further I deepen my understanding of human nature. I am questioning a lot of what science has to offer because as you delve deeper, you find that within one field there is a great deal of disparities in their scientific beliefs, but moreover, you find even greater disparities between different scientific fields on subjects that overlap. I am very critical of whatever I read now. I am reading fewer books now, and more of the most recent scientific papers instead, incorporating them within my understanding of human nature.

What fascinates me right now is analyzing how much of our phenotypic expressions could be categorized as evolutionary mismatches (Evolutionary mismatch - Wikipedia), when you take the time to think about it, nearly everything we do in certain aspects can enter this category since our world is so vastly different from an ancestral hunter-gatherer environment. Hence, I am not so convinced that the perpetual modernization of our environment is a desirable trajectory to follow in order to fulfill our fundamental human needs, although, driven by economic growth, this isn't a surprising phenotypic trajectory from an evolutionary perspective despite is broader deleterious side effects.

Drouin sucks btw.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I read a whole lot of neuroscience as well. However, I have been having some level of reticence to their discoveries since our understanding of how the brain operates at a neurological level in still his infancy; the tools we have to measure brain activity doesn't give us a perfect picture of everything that is going on, our ability to interpret how the data we collect manifests itself behaviorally is limited as well. Honest neuroscientists would admit that their understanding of the brain is at best incomplete. Following that understanding, the insights they give us are always somewhat speculative. Theoretically speaking, I believe that we could understand everything about the human mind from a neurological standpoint, but the science is far from it at this point. In that vein, at this point in time, I believe we can get greater insights by analyzing behavioral phenotypes following an evolutionary reasoning since the human brain has been programmed through adaptations by natural selection. Therefore, by analyzing the human species patterns in behavioral phenotypes through cross-cultural and historical studies following an evolutionary framework, you should obtain great insights about how the brain operates despite lacking the actual comprehension of how it manifests itself at a neurological level. That being said, both can and should supplement one another in their understanding as we progress toward a unified scientific understanding of the mind.

What you pointed out about the effect of epigenetic factors is quite interesting, I don't exactly know how much it comes influencing the genomes in their phenotypic expression, for the most part, I don't believe it should affect too much our evolutionary interpretations of phenotypes. At least for now, it seems difficult to account for.

I do agree that modern psychology and anthropology are still often shackled by old dogmas. One of the reason is that academic institutions are slow to adapt to the rate of scientific discoveries. I found myself being less and less mainstream in my thinking the further I deepen my understanding of human nature. I am questioning a lot of what science has to offer because as you delve deeper, you find that within one field there is a great deal of disparities in their scientific beliefs, but moreover, you find even greater disparities between different scientific fields on subjects that overlap. I am very critical of whatever I read now. I am reading fewer books now, and more of the most recent scientific papers instead, incorporating them within my understanding of human nature.

What fascinates me right now is analyzing how much of our phenotypic expressions could by categorize as evolutionary mismatches (Evolutionary mismatch - Wikipedia), when you take the time to think about it, nearly everything we do in certain aspects can enter this category since our world is so vastly different from an ancestral hunter-gatherer environment. Hence, I am not so convinced that the perpetual modernization of our environment is a desirable trajectory to follow in order to fulfill our fundamental human needs, although, driven by economic growth, this isn't a surprising phenotypic trajectory from an evolutionary perspective despite is broader deleterious side effects.

Drouin sucks btw.

The answer you gave about neurobiology dates back to 2000 to 2010. There are actually many more techniques that have developed since the advent of positron emission tomography. Many of the fundamental studies of the early modern neurobiology of post-1990, have been replicated and sophisticated since then.

It's funny because there's no more fundamental to behavior than our brains. Everything that we discover in that field regarding behavior, redefines the other fields, more than it does the other way around.

You do realize that as of today, the leading field that comprises all other fields for human behavior is behavioral neurobiology, behavioral biology for short. It comprises everything from basic and evolutionary psychology, ethology, evolutionary bio, microbio, genetics, epigenetics, sociology and epidemiology.

And when it comes to behavior, we know plenty from the brain now and it is central to understand anything that trickles down from behavioral adaptation. The speculative part is gone for many aspects. It's down to more fundamental questions now regarding consciousness and volition.

As for epigenetics, it is the bridge between genetics and neurobiology. It is extremely important to behavioral expression/adaptation. It is also redefining all other fields.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
The answer you gave about neurobiology dates back to 2000 to 2010. There are actually many more techniques that have developed since the advent of positron emission tomography. Many of the fundamental studies of the early modern neurobiology of post-1990, have been replicated and sophisticated since then.

It's funny because there's no more fundamental to behavior than our brains. Everything that we discover in that field regarding behavior, redefines the other fields, more than it does the other way around.

You do realize that as of today, the leading field that comprises all other fields for human behavior is behavioral neurobiology, behavioral biology for short. It comprises everything from basic and evolutionary psychology, ethology, evolutionary bio, microbio, genetics, epigenetics, sociology and epidemiology.

And when it comes to behavior, we know plenty from the brain now and it is central to understand anything that trickles down from behavioral adaptation. The speculative part is gone for many aspects. It's down to more fundamental questions now regarding consciousness and volition.

As for epigenetics, it is the bridge between genetics and neurobiology. It is extremely important to behavioral expression/adaptation. It is also redefining all other fields.

I read a lot of scientific literature treating of the human mind and I never heard of the term behavioral neurobiology and extremely rarely of the term behavioral biology. I feel we may get lost in semantics in what we are referring to, biology implies studying in evolutionary adaptions terms in order to deeply understand the function of the different parts and their interactions and behavioral implies the observable manifestation of our psychology, I believe when I am referring to evolutionary psychology I closely referring to the term behavioral biology you are referring to. I have read the Handbooks of Evolutionary Psychology which incorporates in his study of the human mind everything from social psychology, developmental psychology, sociology, anthropology, ethology of related species, evolutionary biology, genetics, and neuroscience. It aspires to be an all-encompassing scientific field in his explanation of human behaviors. There seems to be a great deal of overlaps between the two terms we are speaking of with each other incorporating the other in his broad scientific perspective.

To me, you are naive if you believe that we know plenty enough from a neurological standpoint not to be largely speculative when explaining human behavioral phenotypes from that scientific perspective. I still stand to everything I just said, explaining human behaviors by only using neurological information would be severely limiting; it greatly relies on other scientific fields to fill in the gaps and to orient how to interpret neurological data. On his own, it offers very little. The speculative part is far from gone. We do not understand the brain as an organ very well, I wouldn't trust any neuroscientist that believe otherwise. There is much more than consciousness and volition that is yet to be understood, by the way, evolutionary reasoning has already a lot to offer in the explanation consciousness serving an adaptive function, on the flip side, it is unsurprising that the different sorts of brain imagery have very little to offer.

Following that train of thought, (if you try to isolate evolutionary psychology from neuroscience discoveries from one another,) I believe that evolutionary psychology field is moving way faster than the neuroscientific field because of the number of scientific studies providing data on phenotypic expressions that have been being exponentially increasing in the last decades, the gradually increasing social acceptance of his theories (previous reticence due to conflicting religious ideologies subsiding), the increase of evolutionary psychologists and above all, not being as limited by the limitation of technological tools.

I still have difficulty seeing how epigenetics can be usefully incorporated at the level of human behavioral study as of right now (I can see the value when we would have the scientific knowledge and tools to better interpret that information on that level).

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Re-reading for the 3rd time, Behave: the biology of humans at their best and worst behaviors, by Robert Sapolsky.

That book should be mandatory in high school in morals and ethics classes. It would.. it will, change the world.

Agree, but have you seen teachers these days? Head down staring at the phone, telling the kids to look up shit using their phones, and telling them to gogo Youtube for help.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Believe or not after having becoming an addict of Game of Thrones the TV show along with buying a ton of GoT stuff and the DVDs and re-watching them a hundred times, I just started reading the books. Got them all on e-bay a few weeks ago.

These are huge books and this task seems like an uphill battle. My interest in reading books is a lot based of mystery and so far it's been hard to get into cause I know a lot about the characters and the stories. But it's been fascinating seeing the differences. Like the most crying one being Joffrey as so far book Joffrey doesn't seem as bad as show Joffrey. It is as if the makers of the show wanted to paint him as a clear monster(esp. with the casting as book Joffrey look like a beautiful Prince) . The whole scene with the butcher boy and Joffrey and Arya is different here, it's far less crazy and Joffrey doesn't come off as bad. Sansa is a point of view character here and she comes off better than on the show too.

Another character that is different from the show is Renly. I always thought he was a bore on the show but on the book for one thing he has long black hair and he's pretty dashing. He is hilarious too. When they have the mini trial on Arya for attacking Joffrey, upon Arya telling her story of how Joffrey got punked, Renly is laughing so hard as to falling on the floor that it pisses off Robert and Renly is ordered to leave. I don't know why they changed him on the show. But you get why Brienne would fall for him.

On the opposite end of Joffrey, the Hound is much worse in the books! lol He didn't just ran down the butcher boy, seems like the kid was broken in half.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I absolutely love his lectures.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Are they even teaching kids how to ready nowadays?..Let alone comprehend an actual book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad