OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I have never read Lem although I have seen 2 films based on Solaris. This makes me want to read some of Lem's work.

I read Solaris as a teenager but I remember the old movie much more vividly for some reason. It's a LONG movie tho, not a short sit at all.

I can't recommend Lem enough. If you love Sci-Fi try his stuff out. Solaris IIRC is a pretty short book and it is great but my favourite of his is The Futurological Congress. Not sure if that's the exact title in English since his stuff is originally written in Polish, I read most of his stuff in French.

Strangely though my all-time favourite novel is Stendahl's The Red and the Black which I've read twice and only in English despite its French origin.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Philip Roth has passed away. I read most of his books in a fairly short period in the 90s. My favorite will always be "Portnoy's Complaints". The last one I read was "The Human Stain" about a year ago which I enjoyed.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Somewhat controversial Sci Fi writer Harlan Ellison has passed away at 84.
He wrote probably my favorite short horror story of all time, I have no mouth and I must scream. By most accounts he was a very peculiar dude but then again most writers are deep down. There's a lot of paper back compilations of his short stories out there, I would recommend them for any soft sci-fi fan.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Somewhat controversial Sci Fi writer Harlan Ellison has passed away at 84.

Ellison was on the vanguard of "New Wave" SF writers and there is debate whether he's best known for his award winning writing or his contentious, SOB personality.

He wrote the teleplay for what was perhaps the best episode of the original Star Trek series, "The City on the Edge of Forever". He hated the rewrite Gene Roddenberry did on his script and insisted his pseudonym (Cordwainer Bird) was used on the credits.

A very good friend of mine was a huge fan and while traveling in California (circa 1980) he bought Ellison's newest novel, and with a spectacular amount of chutzpah, showed up at Ellison's door hoping to get it autographed.

Amazingly, Ellison invited him in, served him coffee and engaged him in conversation for an hour!

——————————————————
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."

"I don't mind you thinking I'm stupid, but don't talk to me like I'm stupid."

"Love ain't nothing but sex misspelled."

"To say more, is to say less."

————————

RIP Harlan

Last edited:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Reading "Voltaire's Bastards". Question: if we move towards a rational creative based society, would that just become the new doctrine of oppression for which it is the outlet now ?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I'm into my 3rd book of the Summer semester. First off I read Stat Shot a hockey advanced stats book relevant to my MSc dissertation, then moved to Nudge by 2017 Economic Nobel Prize Winner Richard Thaler. I'm currenty halfway through Scorecasting, a book by another behavioral economist Tobias Moskowitz and Jon Wertheim (Sports Illustrated), as suggested by my dissertation supervisor.

Next up is Soccernomics by Szymanski! Pretty happy with my reading pace this Summer, I need to pick up on the writing pace though!!!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ellison was on the vanguard of "New Wave" SF writers and there is debate whether he's best known for his award winning writing or his contentious, SOB personality.

He wrote the teleplay for what was perhaps the best episode of the original Star Trek series, "The City on the Edge of Forever". He hated the rewrite Gene Roddenberry did on his script and insisted his pseudonym (Cordwainer Bird) was used on the credits.

A very good friend of mine was a huge fan and while traveling in California (circa 1980) he bought Ellison's newest novel, and with a spectacular amount of chutzpah, showed up at Ellison's door hoping to get it autographed.

Amazingly, Ellison invited him in, served him coffee and engaged him in conversation for an hour!

——————————————————
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."

"I don't mind you thinking I'm stupid, but don't talk to me like I'm stupid."

"Love ain't nothing but sex misspelled."

"To say more, is to say less."

————————

RIP Harlan
Awesome experience for your ballsy friend!

Ellison was an opinionated prick who was a great interview. One of his quotes I liked: "You're NOT entitled to an opinion; you're entitled to an INFORMED opinion." Been tempted to use that a few times on this site.

The Star Trek connection was how I discovered him. I remember reading his original screenplay of the episode -- the crazed crew member who beams down to the planet and starts the chain of events was a random ensign who was addicted to drugs, as opposed to the cleaner version they rewrote for TV. Ellison tried to... um... inject some of the 60s drug culture into Star Trek, but the networks weren't having any of it.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I completely forgot one of his short stories is credited with inspiring the Terminator franchise ( Or the first movie at the very least) . I remember reading it as a teenager 20 years ago and thinking it really didn't have that much in common with the Terminator, outside of the general time travel concept. I guess James Cameron and co got scared that he'd be crazy enough to sue them, which he most certainly was :laugh:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Reading a book on Napoleon (Boyhood and Youth by Oscar Browning).

Written many years ago based on a stack of Napoleon`s documents that turned up, long after his death.

Some stuff that he wrote is reprinted and pretty impressive considering his age at the time. Takes you back to the French revolution.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well it maybe not a novel but it's about a comic-book or rather a graphic novel adaptation of the Game of the Thrones books that I'm reading. I'm at the first collection and so far for someone that has only seen the TV show, it's an eye opener and it's pretty interesting how different it is from the TV show. The characters look completely different, some of them act differently. It's pretty refreshing and it's like reading a parallel World of what we saw and it makes it pretty fun. For example, Joffrey and Robb have the same age. And they fight with sparring swords and get into some competition and what happens is really going to pay off later with what we know.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Just finished The Drama of the Gifted Child from Alice Miller (the title is not an accurate representation of the book, "Prisoners of Childhood" was the original title, they changed it for marketing purposes). Highly insightful read about childhood traumas. When people think of traumas they tend to associate traumas with severe incidents of abuse/neglect, but in reality the vast majority of individuals lived some form child abuse under the cover of what is wrongfully depicted as good parenting by the parents themselves(which is often reinforced by the society at large), therefore since we can't grasp how we have been traumatized we are still carrying those unresolved traumas with us without being aware of their existence. If you lost touch with some of the spontaneity you once had as a child, do not have an natural easiness to express the entire array of your emotions or do not have high self esteem of oneself independently of one outside circumstances, you most likely are carrying unresolved childhood traumas which are detrimentally impacting your life to this day. If you truly want to work on improving yourself this book is of greater use than any book that qualifies itself as self-help which I have read in the past. From my experience and intellectual observations, psychoanalytic healing has greater long-lasting positive effects on one life than being inspired to change one mindset toward a so-called scientifically proven desirable way of being.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhysicX

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia