The Globe and Mail has made league's unsealed emails searchable [MOD WARNING IN OP]

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Many of these hockey higher ups have known each other for years. So obviously they will communicate with each other as if they've known each other for years. Not everything is politician monotone PC speak.

Did I read in this thread that someone actually finds this "offensive"? If so, people are idiots and don't know what "offensive" means. As a Jew I find someone someone tell me that the Holocaust never happened offensive. Me reading private emails that aren't written up to proper grammar standards and aren't written in perfect professional PC talk is not offensive. Some people are naive and overly sensitive.

Anywho, this brings to light some juicy info. The head of player safety doesn't really care about player safety. Wonder if anything will happen to him or to the NHL.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
McKenzie has used his position to gain influence where he should have none. That's one of the big problems, in my opinion. He tells executives what should be done and tries to sway the views of the league officials with obnoxious, judgmental remarks, and gossip.

He's greasing the wheels of his sources. That's how he has access. He treats Colin Campbell like a buddy and he's able to get information.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The thing that bothers me, the sense I get from reading these that the department of player safety seemingly actively tries to excuse the players who caused unsafe situations.

Even the borderline stuff, you'd think they'd see it as at least 50/50 blame between the hitter and guy being hit, instead I see stuff like woos, soft, rat, put himself in bad position, deserved. But not much in regards to left his feet, elbow up, charged, boarded, etc.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I might have missed some e-mails that would have made me think differently, but in what i saw I am finding that Dreger is actually more professional than McKenzie in these dealings. Never would have imagined that would be the case. Although, I suppose Dreger would be less likely to build closer relationships with people, he's kind of a stiff.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
A lot of people on their high horses in here. The NHL is an alpha male business, and this is how alpha males talk. Is some of the stuff close to crossing a line? Sure. But it really is just a bunch of guys talking hockey. I am sure they never expected any of this to go public. Every one talks **** about every one. Its a fact of life.

As for Campbell asking Bob McKenzie for advice; Bob has been around the NHL for how many years now? Many people acting like all Bob does is watch games and write stories. He probably knows the business side of the NHL inside and out, and knows how DOPS handled issues when Campbell was still a player. Have no problem with Campbell coming to Bob for advice. He went about it like an alpha-male idiot, but Bob is probably one of the smartest, well respected guys in the NHL.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I like how Shanny comes off as the only sane, caring person in the league.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
A lot of people on their high horses in here. The NHL is an alpha male business, and this is how alpha males talk. Is some of the stuff close to crossing a line? Sure. But it really is just a bunch of guys talking hockey. I am sure they never expected any of this to go public. Every one talks **** about every one. Its a fact of life.

Are you serious? This is the freaking NHL, not a bunch of beer league players talking hockey. They set (or don't set) policies that have far-reaching consequences for the league, the players, and the game itself, so it's legitimately troubling when they, for example, think players are faking concussions and other injuries to get paid vacations.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Colin Campbell, as a senior employee, should never have shared his opinions of players and league policy with people outside of the NHL, especially not in emails from the NHL domain. The content is fairly benign, certainly nothing I would consider an earth-shaking scandal, but the lack of professionalism and good judgement reflects quite poorly on the league.

And, Colin, a remedial course on spelling and basic grammar wouldn't be out of place.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
How has Colin Cambell retained a job for so long? His incompetence, lack of professionalism, and quite frankly, grammar, are outstanding. The league needs to cut ties with him immediately.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Are you serious? This is the freaking NHL, not a bunch of beer league players talking hockey. They set (or don't set) policies that have far-reaching consequences for the league, the players, and the game itself, so it's legitimately troubling when they, for example, think players are faking concussions and other injuries to get paid vacations.

It's not like these are the transcripts from player hearings, safety meetings, etc. They are e-mails between guys that were talking hockey. Some of the content is troubling (Orr concussions), but I have no problem with them shooting the **** and mis-spelling a few words.

We have never seen a press realease that says "we were going to suspend Brashear for this one, but Perry is a *****, so he is free to go." - they bring in the white collar guys with MBA's to clean that stuff up. The biggest barrier to entry in the NHL front office is being good at hockey. None of these guys got to where they are because they can spell/write well. :laugh:

DOPS has needed an overhaul for a long time, we all know that. This really just show that suspensions and dirty hits don't seem to be as cut and dry as we all thought.

Reaction time, what led up to it, intent, etc. are all factored in.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Over a span of 82 games between 2011 and 2012 three penalized Bruins hits resulted in two major concussions and a severe spinal injury leading to at least 30 games missed plus offseason rehab. The Bruins who committed these penalties received a combined zero games of suspension.

The 2011 Finals should be voided.

Nah. Though Tampa should probably be angry because they had a big advantage in special teams and the refs didn't call one penalty in game 7 if I recall correctly.

Aside from Campbell's silly, unprofessional take on things, I don't really see anything in these emails too damning for any other party. Except of course all that talk about head injuries and how clueless most of them were (now that's pretty damning).

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
:shakehead At least Cherry gives a **** about the guy who almost died (not sure if he did or not)...

Bob sounds like a robot and, in other emails, like a jackass. What a class act...

Can people not read? He clearly says 'sad' in that email. Not indifferent.

He's looking at things pragmatically.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

lol. If i saw leaked emails like this from managers of a pizzeria i would think they were unprofessional. The NHL is a multi billion dollar business. These emails show these guys are way past just everyday unprofessional. They are dummies. Colin Campbell can barely spell. His grammar is terrible. He's left a record of years of terrible comments that have come back to bite him and the multi billion dollar business he's a part of in the ass. That's not alpha male, it's a lack of education.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
lol. If i saw leaked emails like this from managers of a pizzeria i would think they were unprofessional. The NHL is a multi billion dollar business. These emails show these guys are way past just everyday unprofessional. They are dummies. Colin Campbell can barely spell. His grammar is terrible. He's uneducated.

I get that Campbell is pretty hated and its fun to insult the guy but some people are just poor at using their phones to type emails or messages. My mother doesn't have bad English but she either takes 15 min to type out a short message or writes like Campbell.

Edit: Maybe his spelling leaves something to be desired but maybe some of those are legitimate typos.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As of Oct '15, NHL had produced 300,000 docs (txt msgs, CDN teams still to come) in discovery. About 300 (one-tenth of 1%) unsealed so far

NHL better prepare themselves if this much uproar was caused by 1/10th of 1% of the emails

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Should anyone be surprised that a reporter has an opinion in private that he doesn't share publicly? Of course these guys do, and I have no problem with this. As well, anyone feeling offended that BMac has regular correspondence with people in the NHL must be obtuse. Who did you think his insiders are? He's got them in head office, he's got them with the PA and he's got them within teams. Its his job.

And yes, Campbell is a dolt, but I don't see anything wrong with the DoPS reaching out to respected people in the hockey world before coming to a decision on rulings. People here are acting like BMac holds 50% weight in the DoPS rulings. He's one voice to Campbell, and may be a fart in the wind to him. Judging by BMac's personal opinion on head shots and fighting, his influence (if he has any, and which most are greatly exaggerating) is minimal here.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
How has Colin Cambell retained a job for so long? His incompetence, lack of professionalism, and quite frankly, grammar, are outstanding. The league needs to cut ties with him immediately.

Perhaps this batch of mail will hasten his journey to retirement.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Why? You don't think that happens?
As a director of HR, I would bet my house and kids it happens.... regularly.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Many of these hockey higher ups have known each other for years. So obviously they will communicate with each other as if they've known each other for years. Not everything is politician monotone PC speak.

Did I read in this thread that someone actually finds this "offensive"? If so, people are idiots and don't know what "offensive" means. As a Jew I find someone someone tell me that the Holocaust never happened offensive. Me reading private emails that aren't written up to proper grammar standards and aren't written in perfect professional PC talk is not offensive. Some people are naive and overly sensitive.

Anywho, this brings to light some juicy info. The head of player safety doesn't really care about player safety. Wonder if anything will happen to him or to the NHL.

I can handle bad grammar in executive e-mails.

What I can't handle is bad grammar in addition to being flippant about player safety and CLEARLY playing favorites while simultaneously ******** on individuals that you don't like.

It all adds up to a bunch of uneducated buffoons running a billion dollar business based on nothing but pure nepotism.

Kris King would be cooking meth in some Florida swamp if it wasn't for the NHL. I don't even want to know what Campbell would be doing with his life.

I'm OK with spelling or grammar errors on message boards and twitter. I don't know if I'm OK with a guy who literally has the word "President" next to his title who doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad