The Gino Odjick for ROH Campaign

Should Gino Odjick be in the Ring of Honour?

• Total voters

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
For some reason I have a memory of there being news stories about Brashear trying to change as a player in his time with the Canucks, and trying to increase his skill level and playmaking abilities. And for some reason I remember him really trying, with it culminating with a really sick goal against the Red Wings.

but that is also a memory from 10-12 year old me so its hazy at best, and at worst entirely self-constructed

You aren’t wrong. He definitely wanted to be more than just a face puncher - which is a fine goal to aspire to. And in fairness to him, he actually had decent hockey playing ability, too. But rather than putting in the work and earning his spots first the right way, he would make demands of the coaches and threaten to withhold his services (ie - defending his teammates) if he didn’t get it, as MS said.

But that was kind of Brashear in a nutshell. He was all about himself, not the team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For some reason I have a memory of there being news stories about Brashear trying to change as a player in his time with the Canucks, and trying to increase his skill level and playmaking abilities. And for some reason I remember him really trying, with it culminating with a really sick goal against the Red Wings.

but that is also a memory from 10-12 year old me so its hazy at best, and at worst entirely self-constructed

Brashear led his AHL team in goals, second in points as a 21-year old, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were articles about how he hadn't wanted to be a fighter growing up, and maybe-he's-got-more-in-him type stories.

IIRC, he had an absolutely horrific upbringing. Obviously that doesn't excuse him for how he acted as an adult, but it's tough not to sympathize with him and see the way that it could have led to his adult attitude and behaviour. There was an article about him a while back, and I remember some of it being genuinely difficult to read.

You aren’t wrong. He definitely wanted to be more than just a face puncher - which is a fine goal to aspire to. And in fairness to him, he actually had decent hockey playing ability, too. But rather than putting in the work and earning his spots first the right way, he would make demands of the coaches and threaten to withhold his services (ie - defending his teammates) if he didn’t get it, as MS said.

But that was kind of Brashear in a nutshell. He was all about himself, not the team.

He definitely fancied himself a skill player and did work really hard to improve himself. But he did it all wrong.

He probably could have worked himself into being a quality 30-point/150 PIM 3rd line type who didn't need to fight to stay in the NHL. But he was obsessed with scoring highlight reel goals and becoming some sort of offensive superstar getting heaps of PP minutes. Endlessly tried to selfishly dangle through the other team and turned the puck over constantly. Made zero effort defensively and bled goals as a result.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Murzyn made mistakes that were really obvious to casual fans and did things well that were much harder for them to see. You don't notice goals that aren't scored because Kirk McLean had a perfect lane to track the puck because the opposing forward was on his ass well out of the way.
Brent Sopel was a bit like that too, though obviously less good. People treated him like a total Lucas Sbisa level liability and ****-up, but he was pretty serviceable given his limitations overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad