Post-Game Talk: The Gimmick Sucks (Your 3 Stars of the Game, though)

The Gimmick Sucks (Your 3 Stars of the Game, though)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't wait until Wedgewood is out of the organization.
I keep thinking about when Fitz was assistant GM back in 2015-2016 he did one of those segments they do on the pregame and intermissions, where he gave an analysis on a few of our prospects. And Wedgewood came up and he said ''Future NHL goalie, great potential, blah blah blah''. I know he said ''Future NHL goalie''. We had hardly any prospects to ask him about then. Just Zacha, Santini and I don't know who else. I don't even remember if he gave an analysis on Blackwood or not. Probably Blake Speers and maybe even Bastian.

I giggled at that. But what was he supposed to say? ''The guy sucks? He'll never play a real game in the NHL?''. It was actually right before he made his NHL debut and a little before he was ever even called up to play in the NHL for the first time. He was called up later that year. That was actually his first pro season that he even played better than poorly.

I've been thinking about that segment a lot today and wondering if he really is a big fan of his?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think his game is trash right now. He's generating nothing he's doing almost nothing in the offensive zone and nothing seems to be clicking for him...he got an assist by Dougie Hamilton being awesome.
You might have missed tonights game. Nico had a bunch of good opps.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That Joey Anderson trade looking pretty good eh?
I never even had a problem with this trade or second guessed it, because I don't think Anderson will ever be anything special. Another guy that played a decent amount of NHL games and couldn't score all that much. I feel like almost half of his goals were empty netters.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think his game is trash right now. He's generating nothing he's doing almost nothing in the offensive zone and nothing seems to be clicking for him...he got an assist by Dougie Hamilton being awesome.
Based on his usage in OT, Lindy thinks much more of Mercer’s offensive game than Nico’s right now. I don’t disagree.

Reactions: Eggtimer

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You might have missed tonights game. Nico had a bunch of good opps.
He was trash...so many plays died with him and he got opportunities in prime spots only to squander them...that line had Hamilton behind them all night and are just treading water. It's really bad he looks like checking line center but he's getting nearly 20 minutes a game. It's really bad

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Mercer did find his way on the first PP late in the game. And it was a very good PP while he was on the ice.

Reactions: JimEIV

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I definitely liked the choice of using Mercer in the shootout, because it was at least someone new and he seems like he can be a good shootout player.

At least we didn't have to see Palmieri, who might have been something like 2 for his last 15 attempts or something.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He was trash...so many plays died with him and he got opportunities in prime spots only to squander them...that line had Hamilton behind them all night and are just treading water. It's really bad he looks like checking line center but he's getting nearly 20 minutes a game. It's really bad
He had 4 sog's, 6 shot attempts, 5 scoring chances.

He does need to start burying them though.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Tatar has been getting a pass, but he isn't playing well. Yegor has been a total mess.

Nico ended up playing a pretty good game. Zacha too

Tatar does a lot of smart things but it seems like he’s going to take some time to get some chemistry with our forwards. I can see him getting on a line that clicks and next thing you know he heats up.

There’s been quite a few times he’s open for a pass and a teammate doesn’t feed him or he makes a subtle move to create some time and space with the puck and his linemates aren’t available cause they don’t anticipate it.

I think he still just needs more time to learn his teammates tendencies and vice versa.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He had 4 sog's, 6 shot attempts, 5 scoring chances.

He does need to start burying them though.
He was terrible. Zacha set him up all night.

Nearly 20 minutes, with Hamilton behind you all night and Zacha setting the table and he played like Vern Fiddler

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Nico fell down in the cornerand seemingly got injured on his first shift of OT and didnt take another one until the waning seconds

not sure I take much out of this OT to be honest
I didn’t notice. He needs to go more than 3 games without getting some type of injury or he’ll never find a groove.

Reactions: Billdo

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I definitely liked the choice of using Mercer in the shootout, because it was at least someone new and he seems like he can be a good shootout player.

At least we didn't have to see Palmieri, who might have been something like 2 for his last 15 attempts or something.
Dude Palms isn't even on the team.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
On Post Game Live, Matty said that may have been Wedgewood's last game as a Devil with Blackwood's imminent return. The hope is that he clears waivers, but if he doesn't and another team gives him a shot, it's too bad his last game couldn't have been a win.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dude Palms isn't even on the team.
But if he was, I'm sure he would have been in the shootout tonight, because they couldn't stop using him.

He's the worst shootout player (that actually has had a lot of opportunities in the shootout) I've seen other than Adam Henrique.

I think Henrique was like 2 for 15 as a Devil and he kept getting put in there. I think his first shootout goal was his first attempt. It might have been his second, but it was either his first or second. And then he was 1 for 13 or 1 for 14 for the remainder of his Devils career.

I think Palmieri had more than 2 shootout goals here, but in the last two or three years when they would use him just about every shootout, I feel like he only had 2 in 15 attempts.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ha, in addition to the 10 sog's for Hamilton he also had 16 total shot attempts.

I do think it's a bit much.

Like I said I thought Zacha was deferring to him too much on that PP. And sometimes Hamilton shoots when I'm not sure if it's the best play. I know he's a really good player, but maybe a little less is more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad