Speculation: The Future of Dougie Hamilton

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see if Dougie takes a team friendly deal to stay in Carolina. It's clear that he has found a home in Raleigh and has some tight friends on the team. Would he leave that for an additional two years of term? It's not like the guy will have to get a second job to pay his bills.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Any team that signs him for over 6 years at 7M+ is making a huge mistake. Quote me on that.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Before he got injured, I felt like my eye test was saying he's a top 5 defenceman in the entire league. He looked so impactful. Really curious if he gets back there.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to say that last season before his injury Hamilton was playing better than any other NHL d-man when you consider all around play. Having said that, it might have just been a high in the normal variation across a career. He's been good this season but hasn't approached the level he was at when he went down last year. Maybe that's a good thing in the long run, as it should make contract negotiations a bit easier for the Canes.

Reactions: Critical91

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
But they would be adding Hamilton...

So, are they better off with Andersen + Bogosian or Campbell/Raanta/Elliot/Reimer + Hamilton

Personally, I'd rather have the side with Hamilton

Andersen and Bogo make a combined 6M, so you still have a ways to go.

As far as the other goalies, Campbell is 29 years old with 66 career starts. Raanta is having a good start to the year following a very nice season last year, at 31 years old I have no clue why you think he would be a league min goalie. Elliot is a maybe for actually signing cheap. He's having his best year so far since his STL days, but he has also never been able to actually carry a team as a starter (or even stay afloat). He's 35 and hasn't played 50 games in a season since 09-10. Reimer is a pretty bad goalie who probably won't even want to play in Toronto again after the first time. Could you imagine the abuse he would take if he gets off to a bad start next year?

You get what you pay for when you can only sign a league min goalie, and its not like Campbell is some young phenom like Hart or Shesterkin who's ready to take over. Obviously Raanta + Hamilton is miles better than Andersen + Bogo, but that isn't an actual move that's on the table.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Depending on the Flyers expansion draft results they may have the available cash to target him. It makes too much sense for them not to if they lose JVR to Seattle. Top pairing of Provorov - Hamilton would be ideal. Also flyers are a team who could offer him top PP time if need be if ghost isn’t here next year.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks might be able to offer him 7 years at 8-9M depending on how much pettersson and hughes cost. Probably would have to pull a Vegas and trade schmidt or myers. This is assuming Seattle takes holtby

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks might be able to offer him 7 years at 8-9M depending on how much pettersson and hughes cost. Probably would have to pull a Vegas and trade schmidt or myers. This is assuming Seattle takes holtby
Canucks are completely capped out. $20 mill in ufa coming off but they need to replace 5 roster players so need to use up $5 mill of that and shift the remainder to their rfa.

cost them too much in assets to move Eriksson and co.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Any team giving him anything over $7-7.5M over the next 7 years I think will regret the deal starting year 3 and on, but he could surprise.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If he’s willing to come here we need to send out an offer. Nurse/Hamilton and Broberg/Bouchard would be a disgusting top 4 for a while.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Hamilton & Hall will end up teammates this summer, and will make tons of money, & still not lead their team on a long playoff run.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Detroit could offer him 9 million or more. Not sure if he would have any interest in playing through a rebuild.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks are completely capped out. $20 mill in ufa coming off but they need to replace 5 roster players so need to use up $5 mill of that and shift the remainder to their rfa.

cost them too much in assets to move Eriksson and co.
Canucks actually have 23.786M in cap space with 12 roster spots filled after this season. They gain another 3.5M by putting Ferland on LTIR. So really they have 27.286M roughly. If holtby is selected by Seattle that puts the Canucks at 33.523M in cap space with 11 players

that may be enough depending on what kind of money hughes and petey command.

my projections for re-signings go:
Pettersson 8.5M x 8 yrs (comparable draisaitl got 8.5M x 8 a couple years ago and barzal got 7M x 3 this past offseason)

Hughes 7.5M x 8 yrs (pieteangelo got 8.8m x 7 last offseason and Mcavoy got 4.9M x 3 a year ago)

demko 2.8M x 3 yrs (exact same contract blackwood got. Korpisalo got 2.8M x 2yrs for this past offseason, ullmark got 2.6M x 1)

Tryamkin 1.5M x 2 yrs

Gaudette 1M x 1 yr (may not even get this marginal raise)

Podkolzin 925k x 3 yrs

juolevi 800k x 2 yrs (fringe players always get less than they previously made but on 1 way deals instead of 2)

that puts the Canucks at 71M roughly and 18 players.

hamilton 8.5M x 7 yrs

brossoit 1.5M x 1 yr (same deal he got last year, better opportunity)

Miller pettersson boeser
Hoglander horvat virtanen
Motte Gaudette Podkolzin
Roussel beagle macewen

schmidt Hamilton
Hughes myers
Juolevi tryamkin

Demko
Brossoit

Use 81M out of 81.5M with Ferland on ltir. That still counts Eriksson’s 4.875M for being on the taxi squad or minors and loungos recapture penalty.

Probably would have to look at bridge deals for petey and or Hughes since that barely fits 20 players but it’s doable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad