Speculation: The Future of Dougie Hamilton

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Who would be the goalie then?(actually curious..not being sarcastic or anything lol)

Anyways, I would imagine Hamilton will cash in huge on a 7 or 8 year deal... will probably be his last contract so he will make sure its a doozy!

Campbell... and any other veteran goalie who wants to play for close to the league minimum... Raanta, Elliot, Reimer, etc...

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I believe the Canes will either re-sign him or deal him at the trade deadline if they can't. I would guess Hamilton gets 5-7 years x $8 million.

Hamilton has been decent with 9 points in 11 games this year but they have been quiet points. He still hasn't shown to be back to his pre-injury impact yet IMO.

Before he got injured, I felt like my eye test was saying he's a top 5 defenceman in the entire league. He looked so impactful. Really curious if he gets back there.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
You never know. The Oilers had interest in acquiring him, and i never thought Barrie would pick Edmonton. Have to think you throw money at Hamilton in hopes he comes, and then have Barrie as a backup plan. I don’t think the Oilers need DH though. I think they would thrive if they found a solid defensive D. Hamilton isn’t really that.

Yeah personally don’t think DH is the right type of D to sign for the Oilers but we have the cap space which I think we should use on a goalie first. We also have expansion slots because our forwards suck and our D is so young. That might be how we acquire a two-way D to replace Klefbom.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
When I run the numbers I think the Jets could offer him 7 by $9.5M and still be OK. This would require us either 1) moving Pionk or DeMelo in two years to be able to accommodate PLD's big money long term deal or 2) not extending one of Lowry or Copp.

Museum quality in Winnipeg is top drawer:

- We have the Canadian Human Rights Museum: Canadian Museum for Human Rights
- Then we have the Manitoba Museum: The Manitoba Museum
- A Children's Museum:

The list goes on from there: THE 10 BEST Museums in Manitoba - Tripadvisor

- Railway Museum, Aviation Museum, Art Gallary (not a museum but kind of the same thing). etc.

I'd hope the Jets make the pitch. We can pay him more than anyone else and have the need. We have a competitive team where he could be the piece that moves us to cup contender status.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It would not be in the Canes best playoff interest to trade Dougie

It would not be in the Canes best playoff interest *this year* to trade Dougie.

The Canes window is just opening. There is certainly a return that could entice the Canes to look towards the future. They will need cheap ELC talent to supplement their core during the window.

If the return is a late 1st then it is not worth it. If someone offers a top prospect or a mid-1st+ then it could get interesting.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
7yr at least 8.5 maybe 9. Problem is who has the cap room to do it. (assuming cap number stays the same).
Pens close to cap next year.
Flyers would need JVR or Voracek taken in ED.
Jets 20m but only 12 players signed.
Would Hamilton go back to Boston?

I'll say Devils.

Oilers have the cap space and needs a true #1D

Reactions: Billy8484

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It would not be in the Canes best playoff interest to trade Dougie
Canes are a g away from doing things this year. I wouldn't keep if Hamilton if Reimer/Mrazek is my g. But say Carolina trades for Kuemper. then you go for it.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Canes are a g away from doing things this year. I wouldn't keep if Hamilton if Reimer/Mrazek is my g. But say Carolina trades for Kuemper. then you go for it.

You know, I might like the idea of trading him for a top-tier goaltender. But I really don't think anything else helps the team.

He seems to really like it here and has become a fan favorite, and I think he's a clutch player. Considering that the last two places he's been people have been weird about him for whatever reason, you'd think he looks to stay where he fits really well.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Seems quite risky going with a duo like that when the team is chomping at the bit to win now!

But they would be adding Hamilton...

So, are they better off with Andersen + Bogosian or Campbell/Raanta/Elliot/Reimer + Hamilton

Personally, I'd rather have the side with Hamilton

Ledge And Dairy

You know, I might like the idea of trading him for a top-tier goaltender. But I really don't think anything else helps the team.

He seems to really like it here and has become a fan favorite, and I think he's a clutch player. Considering that the last two places he's been people have been weird about him for whatever reason, you'd think he looks to stay where he fits really well.
You have this backwards, no chance they trade him for a top end goalie. You trade pieces for a top end goalie then make a playoff run and resign Dougie

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
I doubt DH gets Pietranglo $$$. I think he gets close. 7.5-8.5 x 6yrs. He seems to like the more laid back lifestyle and less media pressure. I hope Dougie stays in Carolina. He's a huge part of the success they've had since he arrived.

Reactions: LakeLivin

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
Agreed on Jets, but I also tend to doubt DH would love playing in a Canadian fishbowl market for hockey like Winnipeg where talk radio talks for weeks & hours on who the team should sign as a backup goalie. Jets would benefit significantly from one top pairing D being added, just not sure it would be DH.
He survived in Calgary OK so Winnipeg would be fine too. I wonder though if Morrissey might end up being a regretful signing... And so far, considering how he's playing, Stastny would be a guy who would hopefully re-sign slightly cheaper and help the cause.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He survived in Calgary OK so Winnipeg would be fine too. I wonder though if Morrissey might end up being a regretful signing... And so far, considering how he's playing, Stastny would be a guy who would hopefully re-sign slightly cheaper and help the cause.

Happy with Josh, no worries there, since Trouba left he's had constant partner changes and much of the time carried bottom pairing partners. Stats resigning while possible I tend to doubt, someone will pay him way more then he's worth or the Jets will and/or way longer term. Jets don't need any help at forward positions, Jets only need a top pairing D, either left or right.....but likely preferable right.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I think Dougie finds a way to stay with Carolina. I think he’s learned quite a bit about himself throughout his time in this league. I don’t see him going to a big hockey market with rabid fanbases just for a little extra money.

I saw him at an Earls in Calgary last year before the shutdown and he was with Foegele, Svechnikov and somebody else. Seems like he might have a group of friends on the team he can bond with rather than the “loner” tag he had in Boston or the incessant need to have his brother with him in Calgary. So the money might just ultimately end up being secondary to him.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
You have this backwards, no chance they trade him for a top end goalie. You trade pieces for a top end goalie then make a playoff run and resign Dougie

Can you trade "pieces" for a top end goalie? I'd prefer they resign Dougie anyway, I'm just saying IF they trade him, I'd prefer a goalie.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
It wouldn't surprise me if he re-signed in Carolina. That said, this his big 'payday' contract and his value has never been higher. So a shortlist of teams that will have cap space and need a top defender. Darkhorse-ottawa. Chabot-hamilton would be sickeningly good

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
My take:

I think he re-signs in CAR close to or on deadline day for $7.5-8M for 5 or 6 years. I think he will want 7-8 years of term, Canes likely want a little less. 6 years seems like a good compromise.

However, I also wouldn’t put it past the Canes’ front office to fully explore what they could get in return for him at the deadline if negotiations aren’t going well.

The ultimate troll move would be for the Canes and Hamilton to come to a handshake agreement that isn’t made official until after the expansion draft, thus freeing up an expansion draft protection slot for either Fleury or Bean. Likelihood of this is probably zero though. I would imagine the Canes will want the situation taken care of one way or another come the trade deadline.

da bold, and if team and player can't make that happen, w/o such understanding it is more profitable to trade him and get something v nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad