Speculation: The Future of Dougie Hamilton

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
On his last year of the 6 year contract (5.75m x 6) he signed when first acquired by Calgary in 2015, and clearly his value has increased significantly every year, especially with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Does he stay with the Hurricanes? Can the Hurricanes sway him to stay if they offer 8 years over the 7 years he would get on he open market?

I would guess that Hamilton stays with Carolina on an 8 x 8.5m deal. It would take a dollar figure north of 9m to sway Hamilton. He knows he will be a highly sought out free agent if he goes that route. I’m sure any team would love to sign a 6’6 RD who has a nasty shot.

People may say that Hamilton isn’t worth offering 8 years when he will be age 28 by the time he signs a new contract, but the cap will eventually increase, and Dougie to me seems like a defenseman that can maintain at minimum a .5 PPG D, which can be hard to find in defenseman when they’re in their mid 30’s.

What is/are your thought(s)/prediction(s)?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I believe the Canes will either re-sign him or deal him at the trade deadline if they can't. I would guess Hamilton gets 5-7 years x $8 million.

Hamilton has been decent with 9 points in 11 games this year but they have been quiet points. He still hasn't shown to be back to his pre-injury impact yet IMO.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
7yr at least 8.5 maybe 9. Problem is who has the cap room to do it. (assuming cap number stays the same).
Pens close to cap next year.
Flyers would need JVR or Voracek taken in ED.
Jets 20m but only 12 players signed.
Would Hamilton go back to Boston?

I'll say Devils.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I believe the Canes will either re-sign him or deal him at the trade deadline if they can't. I would guess Hamilton gets 5-7 years x $8 million.

Hamilton has been decent with 9 points in 11 games this year but they have been quiet points. He still hasn't shown to be back to his pre-injury impact yet IMO.

If they can't sign him I think they send his rights somewhere in the off season. Don't see the Hurricanes dealing him beforehand.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
7yr at least 8.5 maybe 9. Problem is who has the cap room to do it. (assuming cap number stays the same).

I'll say Devils.

Even if Boston and Hamilton would re-unite (they won't), doesn't make sense for the Bruins to tie up that much money in RD when McAvoy needs a new contract.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If they can't sign him I think they send his rights somewhere in the off season. Don't see the Hurricanes dealing him beforehand.

Canes have made bold deals in the past for guys that were asking for too much cash. If said transactions make the team as good on net, they could make it happen. My guess, though, is that Hamilton will extend. He's IMO a core piece.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

I tend to agree. Carolina has been more aggressive than other clubs in similar situations in the past, but the team is in a different place right now. The Canes are either cup contender or close to it. Is the 1st and prospect worth pushing the team downward from that level? Likely not.

Hamilton even being on the team right now in the context of how they handled Skinner and Faulk is likely a sign of how this will play out. He either re-signs or directly/indirectly (rights traded) walks as a UFA. That's okay. It's the cost of trying to compete.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Canes have made bold deals in the past for guys that were asking for too much cash. If said transactions make the team as good on net, they could make it happen. My guess, though, is that Hamilton will extend. He's IMO a core piece.

Sounds like he likes it there and the team like him...so I doubt he gets to UFA

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He'll get paid. For sure.

Huge dude (who doesn't really use his size, but still) who can skate and put up points, plus RD. If he makes it to market, anyone who can fit it under their cap will be submitting a big offer.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I tend to agree. Carolina has been more aggressive than other clubs in similar situations in the past, but the team is in a different place right now. The Canes are either cup contender or close to it. Is the 1st and prospect worth pushing the team downward from that level? Likely not.

Hamilton even being on the team right now in the context of how they handled Skinner and Faulk is likely a sign of how this will play out. He either re-signs or directly/indirectly (rights traded) walks as a UFA. That's okay. It's the cost of trying to compete.

To me, him being on the team right now indicates a likely resigning. IMO, something close to, but less in AAV, than Pietrangelo.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I'll say Devils.

Agreed on Jets, but I also tend to doubt DH would love playing in a Canadian fishbowl market for hockey like Winnipeg where talk radio talks for weeks & hours on who the team should sign as a backup goalie. Jets would benefit significantly from one top pairing D being added, just not sure it would be DH.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
With Andersen coming off the books this summer, the Leafs could afford him if someone takes Kerfoot...

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
My take:

I think he re-signs in CAR close to or on deadline day for $7.5-8M for 5 or 6 years. I think he will want 7-8 years of term, Canes likely want a little less. 6 years seems like a good compromise.

However, I also wouldn’t put it past the Canes’ front office to fully explore what they could get in return for him at the deadline if negotiations aren’t going well.

The ultimate troll move would be for the Canes and Hamilton to come to a handshake agreement that isn’t made official until after the expansion draft, thus freeing up an expansion draft protection slot for either Fleury or Bean. Likelihood of this is probably zero though. I would imagine the Canes will want the situation taken care of one way or another come the trade deadline.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
With Andersen coming off the books this summer, the Leafs could afford him if someone takes Kerfoot...

Who would be the goalie then?(actually curious..not being sarcastic or anything lol)

Anyways, I would imagine Hamilton will cash in huge on a 7 or 8 year deal... will probably be his last contract so he will make sure its a doozy!

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

I'll say Devils.

Edmonton can since they have tons of space in the off-season (Chiasson, Sekera, Larsson, Pouliot off the books and Russell essentially too) but I doubt DH will sign with the Oilers.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

If they keep playing like theyve been playing, detracting from their lineup would be an absolute shame.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Edmonton can since they have tons of space in the off-season (Chiasson, Sekera, Larsson, Pouliot off the books and Russell essentially too) but I doubt DH will sign with the Oilers.
You never know. The Oilers had interest in acquiring him, and i never thought Barrie would pick Edmonton. Have to think you throw money at Hamilton in hopes he comes, and then have Barrie as a backup plan. I don’t think the Oilers need DH though. I think they would thrive if they found a solid defensive D. Hamilton isn’t really that.

Reactions: voxel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad