Speculation: The Freddy Thread: #2 or #3 to start the playoffs?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Campbell has shown a level of confidence in the last 2 weeks that is very clear to me that he should get the net in game 1. I think he knows the boys believe in him, and that he's the guy. I'd give him a semi longer leash. Wherein if they lose game 1 and goaltending was the issue, I go to Freddy game 2. But if they lose and it wasn't solely because of the tending, I'd keep him in the cage.
I wouldn't bail on Campbell because of one bad game. What team would do that? the guy went 16-2-2 and you dump him after one bad game?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The issue I have with this final week is that there should be no question in Campbell's mind that even if Andersen is ready, Jack is the team's starter and will be between the pipes for game 1. To me, his past confidence problems indicate he's the type of personality that he needs to go into the post-season not worried that one bad outing and Freddie takes over the reins - essentially, that the team believes in him and therefore he's not on a super-short leash.

All it takes is Keefe sitting him down and making it clear: You're the man. And if Freddie comes in to relieve him during a bad outing, Jack understands he'll be back starting the next game. Of course, in the playoffs there's little margin for error so if Jack is clearly buckling under the pressure and/or getting physically worn down, well then, by all means turn to Freddie. At that point, with a series on the line, egos & confidence be damned.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I wouldn't bail on Campbell because of one bad game. What team would do that? the guy went 16-2-2 and you dump him after one bad game?
It's pretty common to do that in a tandem system. It's exactly what happened with Grubauer and Holtby when they won the cup.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
For me, it should be Campbell/Rittich.

I am hearing there may be back to backs these playoffs though Playoffs are always a different beast, it is going to take alot out of some guys playing two nights in a row.. That makes the whole playoff scenarios even more odd.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
We really don't have a tandem system though. We don't even know if Fred is 100%.
of course. And in a scenario where Freddy is not 100% than I'd agree with you ride Jack the whole way through. My assumption is that Freddy will be healthy to back up Jack come game 1. And should Jack have a complete stinker that loses us a game I'd give the next game to Fred. Its a tactic that seemed to work really well for CBJ when they beat us in 5 as well.

Like I said earlier, give Jack a long'ish leash. As long as he is giving us a chance to win each night, it's his cage to lose. I am only talking about going to Freddy after a loss that was 100% the fault of Jack. But as long as he is giving us a shot to win each night, regardless of the outcome he is the guy I'm going with.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think he's very much in that conversation for #2 if his health and playing ability permit as much. I assume there's a fair amount of confidence in Rittich too though regardless of whether or not all of his Leaf numbers jump off of the page.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What do you make of Keefe's comment? How does it make sense that the guy is cleared to play for the Marlies but not the Leafs? The guy's either healthy or he's not, no? To me this suggests that some funny stuff is going on behind the scenes and perhaps they want Rittich instead of Freddie but rather than come out and say so, they're making some kind of BS excuse as to not embarrass Freddie.

Just thinking out loud, I do disagree with you - I think it's entirely possible that the organization has Rittich ahead of Freddie at this point, we'll see what happens.

All I can think of , is not enough cap room, you can’t be cleared For AHL and not NHL.
Or out of call ups.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
What do you make of Keefe's comment? How does it make sense that the guy is cleared to play for the Marlies but not the Leafs? The guy's either healthy or he's not, no? To me this suggests that some funny stuff is going on behind the scenes and perhaps they want Rittich instead of Freddie but rather than come out and say so, they're making some kind of BS excuse as to not embarrass Freddie.

Just thinking out loud, I do disagree with you - I think it's entirely possible that the organization has Rittich ahead of Freddie at this point, we'll see what happens.
Maybe he doesn't want to play Andersen when he knows he's not his goalie. Do we really want the goalies that could possibly win us a Cup, sitting for weeks, so we can continue to humor these Andersen is going to regain his form from 2 years ago ideas? I would play my starter and backup in those 2 games, or give them both to my starter, one of those 2. Anyone who is going to be 3rd string, isn't going to play.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Legit sounding like he's toast. That sounds like he won't be able to start either game this week.

Good news, if only for the consistency of the team. I take Keefe to be an honest guy who runs a meritocracy and for these reasons players enjoy playing for him. He keeps it fresh and is direct about their objectives (which so far they have attained).

Stay on course and let this group finish what they have started. They have sent a loud and clear message with their play, heed it.

I stated from the beginning once the team was dominating and Andersen was hurt (recall they had gone 1-5 just before his injury) that the best approach Andersen could take was to sit out the year and make it clear he wasn't himself due to the injury. Teams who need a goalie will pay him a kings ransom just for the potential of him reverting to his former self of 2-3 years ago. If you come back and look mediocre, teams will become shy.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I think a team like EDM will probably give him more than that. He will also likely get a crack at the starter position somewhere but I don't think that will be here so I don't see him coming back.

WTF does that even mean? :popcorn:

Yeah that's my thoughts too? How can you be cleared to play in the AHL but not the NHL? Is hockey a different sport in the AHL? lol

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Maybe he doesn't want to play Andersen when he knows he's not his goalie. Do we really want the goalies that could possibly win us a Cup, sitting for weeks, so we can continue to humor these Andersen is going to regain his form from 2 years ago ideas? I would play my starter and backup in those 2 games, or give them both to my starter, one of those 2. Anyone who is going to be 3rd string, isn't going to play.

That's my best guess as well. Freddie's not in the plans so rather then say so publicly and embarrass him, feed this BS excuse to the media and maybe they'll buy it. Hard to say for sure but ... that's my best guess.

Leafs USA

Mar 27, 2021
The assumption is the Leafs see him as being the number one goalie who has been hurt. I doubt very much they see him as playing himself off the team.
If the Leafs management actually thought of Freddy as a viable #1 goalie, they wouldn't be letting him walk into free agency unsigned. They have already moved on from him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If the Leafs management actually thought of Freddy as a viable #1 goalie, they wouldn't be letting him walk into free agency unsigned. They have already moved on from him.
Do we know they haven’t had any discussions?

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Ok, I think we can all agree that there's no chance he starts Game 1.... But is he on the bench or press box and what is the expectation throughout the playoffs? Is there a chance he shuts it down for the year?

Not the best showing in 1.5 AHL games coming off a long layoff. Don't want to read too much into the limited minutes but he didn't seem comfortable out there. Will he play against Ottawa or Winnipeg?
He should never see the ice for the Leafs again unless there's an injury. His ego will not allow him to be a backup on the bench.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's going to be hard making Andersen the #2G if he

A) doesn't get some game time and
B) doesn't show he can stop picks competently

He hasn't been good or fit for to long a period to presume he can even do a job as a backup at this point in time

Hutchinson has been the 2nd best goaltender in the organization this season, if Andersen isn't able to perform he should be the backup

Reactions: LeafsRus

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's going to be hard making Andersen the #2G if he

A) doesn't get some game time and
B) doesn't show he can stop picks competently

He hasn't been good or fit for to long a period to presume he can even do a job as a backup at this point in time

Hutchinson has been the 2nd best goaltender in the organization this season, if Andersen isn't able to perform he should be the backup

I've had a really hard time getting a read in whats going on with Andersen here and the front office. It'll be curious to see what they do if he still hasn't looked ready to go come game one of the playoffs.

The Hutch v Rittch question is an interesting one. Hutch has had the better season, though I'd say Rittch has been viewed (at least in the league) as the better goalie in the wider sample. I'm fine with either

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Maybe, maybe not.

The few times in recent history where the Leafs have sent their starting goalie (or an established NHL goalie & former Leaf starter) to the AHL for a conditioning stint:

Jonas Gustavsson: GP 5, 3-1-1, 1.14 GAA, .955 SV%, 0 SO
Jonathan Bernier: GP 4, 3-0-1, 1.25 GAA, .948 SV%, 3 SO
Frederik Andersen: GP 2, 0-1-1, 3.77 GAA, .884 SV%, 0 SO

The team Andersen played in front of it is worse then the one Bernier played in front of though if I remember correctly. I hope he gets a game in and backs up Campbell.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’d give him one of the 2 games as they are now meaningless and say pretty much this is it. I don’t care about his late starts, i don’t care about backbreakers or anything. You play; you win, you put up .910+, I don’t care if they put 45 shots on net, you stop at least 41 of them. you need to be good to be even be the #2. In my mind, no shot at him being #1 come playoff time, even if he puts up a 45 save shutout. He needs to prove he can be reliable if he is called upon. He needs to have a great game for him to be the #2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad