Speculation: The Freddy Thread: #2 or #3 to start the playoffs?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I did.
If he's not backing up (which I expect he will be) he will either be the starter or he's done.

There's no #3 option. BS Dave isn't playing ahead of him if Fred is healthy.

Strongly disagree. To me, Campbell is 100% our starter and I don't see how it's a foregone conclusion that Andersen's ahead of Rittich in the pecking order.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I did.
If he's not backing up (which I expect he will be) he will either be the starter or he's done.

There's no #3 option. BS Dave isn't playing ahead of him if Fred is healthy.
Rittch - 2.86GAA, .901SV% (15 starts)
Andersen - 2.91GAA, .897SV% (22 starts)

Maybe injury is the reason Andersen struggled so much but a healthy and rust free Freddy had only marginally better numbers than Rittich last season.
2019-2020
Rittich - 2.97GAA, .907SV% (48 starts)
Andersen - 2.85, .909SV% (52 starts)

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

Maybe injury is the reason Andersen struggled so much but a healthy and rust free Freddy had only marginally better numbers than Rittich last season.
2019-2020
Thank you.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

2019-2020

Yup, by those numbers it's close. I mean give Andersen some credit for last year's playoffs also where he played well overall but then again that was a while ago. More recent history shows a guy who's not healthy enough to play and historically, takes a month or two to play himself into form and there's no time for that. Andersen would have to play this week and play lights out to even be considered for the backup role IMO. Rittich is no superstar but he's not bad, not bad at all.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Yup, by those numbers it's close. I mean give Andersen some credit for last year's playoffs also where he played well overall but then again that was a while ago. More recent history shows a guy who's not healthy enough to play and historically, takes a month or two to play himself into form and there's no time for that. Andersen would have to play this week and play lights out to even be considered for the backup role IMO. Rittich is no superstar but he's not bad, not bad at all.

I agree with the logic, but it will be interesting to see the politics surrounding this. I'm sure there is some pressure here from Freddy that he wants to play. Given there will be a back to back in the playoff series, a backup will play and if the team choses Rittich over Freddy, I can see him throwing a fit over that. Not that I care, but just saying, I'm sure there is some pressure there internally that given what's he's done for them over the years, he deserves a chance as the backup. I agree with the 'what have you done for me lately' approach, as we can't afford to lose games due to shitty goaltending. Rittich is suspect too, but he's looked better then Fred this season other then that horrendous Vancouver game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree with the logic, but it will be interesting to see the politics surrounding this. I'm sure there is some pressure here from Freddy that he wants to play. Given there will be a back to back in the playoff series, a backup will play and if the team choses Rittich over Freddy, I can see him throwing a fit over that. Not that I care, but just saying, I'm sure there is some pressure there internally that given what's he's done for them over the years, he deserves a chance as the backup. I agree with the 'what have you done for me lately' approach, as we can't afford to lose games due to shitty goaltending. Rittich is suspect too, but he's looked better then Fred this season other then that horrendous Vancouver game.

That's interesting, is there back to back games for sure? If there is that sucks for us but maybe Jack can handle it?

Freddie has no grounds to complain considering he has hardly played in so long and like you said, it's the playoffs so we can't afford to f*** around. You never know what happens behind closed doors so it's something to think about I guess but IMO if Andersens' not the guy you'd choose, you can't play him, simple as that. The good of the team has to be the first priority and loyalty points should not be redeemable during the playoffs, period.

Reactions: Cobra777 and glue

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Shouldn't be a factor. I don't think he deserves anything at this point other than to prove he can be better than Rittich.
Won't be back anyway

Reactions: glue and Auston 316

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

If there are any back-to-backs in the playoffs, teams usually go with their #1 in both games. Games are far too important, obviously.

Reactions: Auston 316

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Start him in both remaining games.

If he has a below .900 SV% and above 3.00 GAA, he is the #3.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Strongly disagree. To me, Campbell is 100% our starter and I don't see how it's a foregone conclusion that Andersen's ahead of Rittich in the pecking order.
The assumption is the Leafs see him as being the number one goalie who has been hurt. I doubt very much they see him as playing himself off the team.

Reactions: al secord

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If there are any back-to-backs in the playoffs, teams usually go with their #1 in both games. Games are far too important, obviously.

I think the question is, can Jack handle back to back games. During the season it seems like there was some load management going on there, whether that was due to injuries, his mental state or something else isn't clear to me. Hopefully it was a combination of his health and easing him in slowly but he's good to go every game now.

The assumption is the Leafs see him as being the number one goalie who has been hurt. I doubt very much they see him as playing himself off the team.

Well he hasn't been very good this season and hasn't even been able to play for some time so .. maybe a combination of those two things mean that he hasn't played himself off the team but the #1 job has now been taken by someone else and where he fits in after that isn't exactly clear.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Related question, let's assume he doesn't get any playoff games and what he's done up to this point this season is what teams have to go on, what does Freddy get as a FA? and is there a number that you'd bring him back at?

I'd have to think he takes a 1 year "show me" type of deal to try and rebuild some value, maybe 1x2.5million?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the question is, can Jack handle back to back games. During the season it seems like there was some load management going on there, whether that was due to injuries, his mental state or something else isn't clear to me. Hopefully it was a combination of his health and easing him in slowly but he's good to go every game now.

Well he hasn't been very good this season and hasn't even been able to play for some time so .. maybe a combination of those two things mean that he hasn't played himself off the team but the #1 job has now been taken by someone else and where he fits in after that isn't exactly clear.
Obviously it’s not clear to the fans but it would be beyond shocking if Campbell goes down and Andersen backs up Rittich.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Related question, let's assume he doesn't get any playoff games and what he's done up to this point this season is what teams have to go on, what does Freddy get as a FA? and is there a number that you'd bring him back at?

I'd have to think he takes a 1 year "show me" type of deal to try and rebuild some value, maybe 1x2.5million?

I think a team like EDM will probably give him more than that. He will also likely get a crack at the starter position somewhere but I don't think that will be here so I don't see him coming back.

WTF does that even mean? :popcorn:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Obviously it’s not clear to the fans but it would be beyond shocking if Campbell goes down and Andersen backs up Rittich.

Maybe he backs up Hutch instead? ;)

And Campbell isn't going down, don't even think it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Yes, you’re right. My bad. That’s a good question, can he handle it? I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If Andersen is healthy, Game 1 should be Campbell on the ice and Andersen on the bench. Go from there. Campbell has proven he is capable. If Andersen is not healthy, clearly Rittich is on the bench looking fine in his new gear and Hutch is mowing Campbells lawn far from the rink.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes, you’re right. My bad. That’s a good question, can he handle it? I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I'm feeling pretty good about Jack these days. He's looked good lately so I'd be somewhat surprised if he can't handle back to games myself, especially against MTL (no offence to lurking MTL fans LOL).

If Andersen is healthy, Game 1 should be Campbell on the ice and Andersen on the bench. Go from there. Campbell has proven he is capable. If Andersen is not healthy, clearly Rittich is on the bench looking fine in his new gear and Hutch is mowing Campbells lawn far from the rink.

We now have Rittich who doesn't suck so we need to have some reason to believe that Andersen is a better bet than Rittich to play well in order for him to be the backup. Just being healthy isn't enough IMO.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Campbell has shown a level of confidence in the last 2 weeks that is very clear to me that he should get the net in game 1. I think he knows the boys believe in him, and that he's the guy. I'd give him a semi longer leash. Wherein if they lose game 1 and goaltending was the issue, I go to Freddy game 2. But if they lose and it wasn't solely because of the tending, I'd keep him in the cage.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
With a healthy lineup, Rittich is 3rd string. There's no way the organization sees it any other way.

What do you make of Keefe's comment? How does it make sense that the guy is cleared to play for the Marlies but not the Leafs? The guy's either healthy or he's not, no? To me this suggests that some funny stuff is going on behind the scenes and perhaps they want Rittich instead of Freddie but rather than come out and say so, they're making some kind of BS excuse as to not embarrass Freddie.

Just thinking out loud, I do disagree with you - I think it's entirely possible that the organization has Rittich ahead of Freddie at this point, we'll see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad