The Fourth 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Lind has been centering between Anas and Baertschi all week in training camp. Not sure if it is permanent but it appears that is how they will start the season.

I remember they tried this two/tree times last season, but was I told in no uncertain terms by a Vancouver poster that Jasek was the center and Lind was the wing, when I know I was sitting 2o feet from them and saw them in opposite roles. So, while I'm surprised it's more because Anas, last season's AHL scoring leader (70 PTs in 63 GP) at center has been moved to a wing. Why not Lind between McKenzie and Walker and move Jasek down between Gadjovich and Nolan Stevens. All of the combinations seem to have worked out so we'll just have to see how it progresses as the actual season comes to be in a week.
However, it is important to note that Anas has played RW so he's comfortable at that position. Lind better keep his eyes open and his stick on the ice as Baerstchi (33A/43GP and Anas (50A/63GP) had a combined total of 88A while also scoring 33G for 121Pts in 106 GP. Pucks will be coming to him from every direction. This kid could fall in a pile of cowpies and come out smelling like a rose. This is even better than his linemates last season. Boucher and Bailey were shoot first guys while Camper and Goldy were setup guys.

Last season Cull had a habit of trying to put a big scoring player on every line. Haven't seen these guys enough to know if that situation exists on the current line creations. We have to recognize that he has Drew Bannister, head coach of the Rampage, on his staff as the associate-head coach. Have to believe the guy is going to have a say in the line combinations even if they sit down and hash them out line by line or rotate game day combos. Remember it's a season devoted development (made very clear by GM Johnson) so the outcomes shouldn't matter even if they are trying to win.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Lind has been centering between Anas and Baertschi all week in training camp. Not sure if it is permanent but it appears that is how they will start the season.

I wouldn't have any idea about this. I don't do Twitter or Facebook.

I used to rely upon my own eyes at every practice. However, since Cull took over, I was banned from practice sessions along with any other spectators and the press unless invited. That was pure BS. Green never had a problem with it and often stopped to talk when he left the ice after practice. We had some real good chats and many included hockey, LOL. However,the powers that be conjured up an excuse to keep fans out as long as he's been here. I think Cull doesn't feel secure being watched.

Then COVID hit and everything shut down.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I remember they tried this two/tree times last season, but was I told in no uncertain terms by a Vancouver poster that Jasek was the center and Lind was the wing, when I know I was sitting 2o feet from them and saw them in opposite roles.

Lind centred Goldobin and Bailey for a couple of games in January. When Lind and Jasek played on the same line the latter was the centre-- every time. If you saw Lind taking a faceoff instead of Jasek it was because Jasek had been tossed from the circle.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Lind centred Goldobin and Bailey for a couple of games in January. When Lind and Jasek played on the same line the latter was the centre-- every time. If you saw Lind taking a faceoff instead of Jasek it was because Jasek had been tossed from the circle.
Nope.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

You have time on your hands; find a game from last season where Lind was the centre and Jasek was his winger. Whereas I can specifically tell you that Lind was the centre between Goldobin and Bailey on Jan 8 in Belleville and again Jan 10 versus Lehigh Valley, then returned to wing.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You have time on your hands; find a game from last season where Lind was the centre and Jasek was his winger. Whereas I can specifically tell you that Lind was the centre between Goldobin and Bailey on Jan 8 in Belleville and again Jan 10 versus Lehigh Valley, then returned to wing.

Sometimes that happened. Other times they took a shift and Lind took the faceoff and they continued the shift switched up. One of those times it was right in front of me on the blueline. They played the entire shift switched up. Now it mayhave been simply because the puck movement caused Lind to be in the middle and Jasek to go up the wing, but the forecheck and zone setup they remained in opposite roles. You have to remember both of these guys are RWs and both played center. It was very easy for them to switch up when the puck guided them that way. I didn't say it was for entire games. I said Lind centered and Jasek played the wing in more instances than 2 games. It was cake for them to do it. It may have been to get Lind away from a tougher check on the odd shift. He antagonized enough guys who made life miserable for him when they could.

I'm not going to review game footage for an entire season to identify those instances. If you want to tell me I'm wrong fine. I'm big enough to accept it, but I know what I saw.

Let's just let it lie or if you must, agree to disagree.

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
Oh, they would definitely be in the lineup without a doubt. Michaelis would easily be one of the top 4 centers.
#1 Sam Anas - (27) The best cut and dried. Last year's AHL scoring champion
#2 Lukas Jasek (23)/Marc Michaelis (25)
#3 Lukas Jasek/Mike Michaelis
It would be tossup and left for these 2 to play it out.
#4 Hugh McGing - (22) St. Louis's version of Lockwood or Michaelis

The rest:
John Stevens - A mid season addition to the Comets last season acquired in an AHL trade with Bridgeport for future considerations. Not exactly trade most players would consider an honor. Kind of like be traded for Nothing. 9 Pts in 24GP with Utica. He's a depth center even on this team.
Carson Focht - (20)Rookie 5th Rd selection with poor Jr numbers. Should be depth right now and perhaps would have started the season in the Zoo.
Tanner Kaspick - (22) 3rd yr ELC played 59 games for San Antonio and recorded 6G/8A/14Pts
Dakotas Joshua - (25) 3rd yr ELC, only got 30 games last season with AHL San Antonio and recorded a miserable 3G/4A/7Pts.
If you are chosing a top 4 you give the new guys with the highest promise the 1st opportunity and the other guys go to depth.

The Comets only have 2 RWs on the roster and would have made the top 4 anyways based upon the forwards in camp.
#1 Kole Lind (22)
#2 Will Lockwood (22)

LW
#1 Sven Baertschi - (28) The best man for the job. PPG+ player last season.
#2 Nathan Walker - (26) 32Pts /46GP with San Antonio last season
#3 Curtis McKenzie - (29) 17G/28A/42Pts in 61GP last season with AHL Chicago
#4 Jonah Gadjovich - (22) put up 17 Pts, 13 of them goals in just 38 GP with Utica last season. This guy's main problem is getting injured.
#5 Nolan Stevens - (24) 9G/22A/31Pts in 50GP with San Antonio last season.
#6 Vincent Arseneau - (28) A real grit player and the only real physical guy on the Comets last season A true 4th line grinder who sticks up for the rest of his guys. chipped in 9G and 2A last season playing with guys who didn't know where the net was or couldn't put the puck in it when they found it, thus the 2A.
There is one more in Evan Polei (24), 4th yr pro, 1G/3A/4Pts in 21GP with San Antonio. Depth

2 of these LWs are going to have to play RW. I say that because they are better players than any of the extra centers.

Rathbone steps right into the top 6 without a question:
Steve Santini - (25) The team's most experienced D-man and a proven leader.
Mitch Reinke - (24) Played 46 games with San Antonio last season and recorded 22Pts after putting up 45 in 76GP in 2018-19.

After these 2, Rathbone would be at least #3 without playing a game.
Josh Teves - (25) 0G/2A/2Pts in 29GP as a reserve after showing his was not top 6 quality.
Mitch Eliot - (22) 2G/3A/5Pts in 27GP and much like Teves turned out to be a depth defender.
Tyler Tucker - (20) ROOKIE, .62 PPG in 4 years of Jr hockey
Josh Wesley - (24) 5th yr-pro, 135 ECHL GP and 73 AHL GP . Last season 17Pts in 26 GP with ECHL Tulsa and 4Pt in 25GP with San Abtonio.

The Comets play a preseason game this afternoon vs NYS Thruway rival the Syracuse Crunch. I did not see this lineup before I created this post.

H-m-m-m-m, their projected lineup seems to pretty much agree with me.

Baertschi/Anas/Lind
McKenzie/Jasek/Walker (one of the LWs moved to RW)
Gadjovich/Focht/Stevens (the other LW moved to RW)
Arseneau/McGing/Lockwood

The depth centers are scratches except for Focht because Michaelis is not here and one of them has to play. The scratches are the ones I projected.
Michaelis would definitely replace Focht on the 3rd line.

2 of the 6 LW had to move to RW and they did. The remaining one was scratched as I projected.

The Defense is a potential train wreck:
TylerTucker/Steve Santini
Josh Teves/Mitch Reinke
Mitch Eliot on his offside/Jett Woo
The most questionable of the 7 was scratched.

That's all they have!!!!!!!! 7D-men for the season??????????????????? Preposterous. Somebody *GMs JOHNSON/BENNING needs to get their thumbs out of their asses and rectify this issue yesterday. Both St.Louis and Vancouver took 2 D-men each originally earmarked for the AHL, but didn't return any one to the AHL. The Comets no longer have Kalamazoo to go to for emergency call-ups. This goes beyond an emergency call-up. This calls for signings of at least 2 D-men with AHL experience along the lines of Dylan Blujus (now with AHL Rochester).

There are only 3Veterans by AHL rules9Baertschi, Walker, and McKenzie) on the Comets so there is room for Veterans if that's what they want to sign and Veterans would fit in nicely with all these inexperienced players they have in the current 7. e.g Eliot carrying Woo is ridiculous.

Still early BG and with Covid and Quarantine requirements I doubt they would introduce anyone new to the group easily.

There should be plenty of players available with teams sitting out . Those parent clubs will be looking to loan some bodies out.

With the Taxi squad i would guess most AHL teams will be short on depth cept the Marlies whom carry about 15 xtra players year round....

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Still early BG and with Covid and Quarantine requirements I doubt they would introduce anyone new to the group easily.

There should be plenty of players available with teams sitting out . Those parent clubs will be looking to loan some bodies out.

With the Taxi squad i would guess most AHL teams will be short on depth cept the Marlies whom carry about 15 xtra players year round....

Individuals coming from Canada to New York state must now either (1) quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in NYS, OR (2) seek COVID testing within 72 hours prior to departure from Canada to NY, and also quarantine for a minimum of three days upon arrival and seek a COVID test on day 4, after which they may exit quarantine upon receipt of the second negative test result.

If this was done correctly any players coming to Utica from Canada would be free to join the team on the 4th day after arrival providing they tested negative 72 hours before leaving Canada. The Comets don't play an actual game until Feb. 5. That's Friday. If Ratbbone and Michaelis tested in Canada today, left Canada for NY on Wednesday, they would be eligible by COVID rules to play on Friday. Their schedule also leaves lots of days between games. Often they will play 2 back to back games and then be off for a week or more. Sometimes they play a single game and then it's a week or more. Nnce in awhile there are dates 3 days apart or so, but that's rare. Getting a player from Vancouver to Utica and ready to play will not result in many days off the ice. It's the reverse that appears would be the lengthy wait.

In my explanation of replacing Michaelis with Graovac and Rathbone with Sautne, it is the time it takes the replacements to get there since both are playing in Manitoba.

It would not be a big deal to get the rookies to playing games and practicing with a team with fixed linemates or D-partners for extended days of practice time. Development for Rookies is only accomplished by being game day players with lots of practice time in between.

Last edited:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The AHL just suspended the start of the Canadian division. No idea when it will start. I guess it doesn't really matter because it's only Graovac, Sautner and Silovs. Silovs could return to the OHL but no one knows when the OHL will start either.

Reactions: lindgren

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The AHL just suspended the start of the Canadian division. No idea when it will start. I guess it doesn't really matter because it's only Graovac, Sautner and Silovs. Silovs could return to the OHL but no one knows when the OHL will start either.

In which case Benning should immediately remove Sautner and Graovac from Manitoba and ship them to Utica where they can play. Focht (Rookie) was the 3rd line center, but is really a depth guy and Graovac could slide in there. He could also work in and out on the left wing with Arseneau. McGing (Rookie) was the 4th center Saturday. He and Focht could work a little rotational battle for the 3rd spot. Any way you look at it Graovac could get ice while those he moves in for still have plenty of opportunity for ice.

Sautner is the most needed of the trio. He would step right into the top 6 where by rights is where he would be in normal circumstances. Or bring him to Vancouver and send the rookie Rathbone to Utica so the kid can play every game and practice with a team every day.

Silovs is in a rough spot. The team has 3 keepers already and he would be #4. NO reason he couldn't out battle Fitzpatrick and Kielly, but I don't think he would get the chance. Maybe back to Latvia is his best move for this season or at least until/if the OHL or Manitoba starts up and then to Utica in 21-22. He could also go to Utica and work with the team rather than the upheaval of turning his current life upside down by returning to Latvia.This kids life over the past 2 years has been that of a wandering nomad (8 different teams, 1 on three different occasions) on 2 continents in 2 countries Canada and Latvia. Utica would make 3 countries and a 9th team. He's done all of this while still a teenager. He turns 20 on March 22nd. He wouldn't even have been eligible for the pros if he was a Canadian playing in the OHL until next year anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: 420Canuck

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
From what I understand Ontario has not approved the return to play procedures which affects the Marlies and Baby Sens. It was supposed to be straightened out by now but hasn't happened yet. I assume that they will have something figured out before too much longer.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In which case Benning should immediately remove Sautner and Graovac from Manitoba and ship them to Utica where they can play. Focht (Rookie) was the 3rd line center, but is really a depth guy and Graovac could slide in there. He could also work in and out on the left wing with Arseneau. McGing (Rookie) was the 4th center Saturday. He and Focht could work a little rotational battle for the 3rd spot. Any way you look at it Graovac could get ice while those he moves in for still have plenty of opportunity for ice.

Sautner is the most needed of the trio. He would step right into the top 6 where by rights is where he would be in normal circumstances. Or bring him to Vancouver and send the rookie Rathbone to Utica so the kid can play every game and practice with a team every day.

Silovs is in a rough spot. The team has 3 keepers already and he would be #4. NO reason he couldn't out battle Fitzpatrick and Kielly, but I don't think he would get the chance. Maybe back to Latvia is his best move for this season or at least until/if the OHL or Manitoba starts up and then to Utica in 21-22. He could also go to Utica and work with the team rather than the upheaval of turning his current life upside down by returning to Latvia.This kids life over the past 2 years has been that of a wandering nomad (8 different teams, 1 on three different occasions) on 2 continents in 2 countries Canada and Latvia. Utica would make 3 countries and a 9th team. He's done all of this while still a teenager. He turns 20 on March 22nd. He wouldn't even have been eligible for the pros if he was a Canadian playing in the OHL until next year anyways.
Yes, the team should tear up its plans to make the team you watch better...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yesterday was Ground Hog's Day and as per Bill Murray's tinsel town nightmare the Comets are once again looking at the problem created by shit management when it comes to providing the farm with an ounce of depth for the inevitable -------- INJURIES.

For those of you reading this you must think this is your Ground Hog's Day. Oh JC, here he goes again whining, "Benning doesn't supply the farm with enough talent. Boo Hoo. Boo Hoo."

I'm not talking super talent. It's always been the same since he fired Lorne Henning. He has always had the opportunity to supply his prospects with AHL level bodies to support their development as Henning did for the first 2 seasons of the Comets existence. Since then it's always been not enough bodies from the getgo. He gives them one vet D-man and then a patchwork quilt of bad threads to fill the holes when call-ups and injuries deplete the roster. Johnson has beamed the past 2 years at the talent he has stashed in the ECHL Zoo for emergency call-ups. The first of those 2 years the call-ups turned out to be what we had all known in the first place, PLUGS. If they were his idea of talent, he is in the wrong profession.

Pat Conacher, director of hockey operations, bypassed the first batch plugs in Johnson's first season here after his first series of flops and sought out the better ECHL guys throughout the ECHL who could at least hold down the fort. He must have done a pretty good job of it because the next season (2019-20) he was hired by Vancouver as an amateur scout.

In Conacher's absence Johnson went out over the summer and signed a whole new package of players for the ECHL Zoo, who turned out to be just a worthless as those in the past. Now, with the COVID and the season up in the air, he and Benning did nothing.

The Comets were fortunate enough to have had Dylan Blujus and Stefan LeBlanc for the past 2 seasons. These guys were not only dependable, but were better players than Teves and Eliot. When inserted into the lineup Blujus settled the erratic play of the Comets D. LeBalnc also proved capable of sheltering for the likes of Teves, Eiolt, or any of the ZOO call-ups. It allowed Sautner and Briesbois to pair up with Juolevi, Rafferty, Teves. At times Sautner played with Blujus to give the Comets an actual shutdown duo and 1st PK pair. Later on Blujus was paired with Chatfield easing up the pressure on him to try and carry the less talented/confident defensive players or Juolevi, whom Cull thought would make a good pair.

Blujus was key depth/top 6 D-man for the Comets for 3 seasons. LeBlanc was a very sound defender of prospect age that was kept out of the lineup by the numbers game in which Teves and Eliot played ahead of him because they were under contract to the Canucks. Yet, when injuries/call-ups put him into the lineup he was often sheltering guys like those 2.

Both of these guys were free agents and could easily have been re-signed to new AHL contracts. They were not. So, in order to make sure they weren't left out of the game in 2021, they signed elsewhere.

Blujus signed right down the road in Rochester because having played against him, they realized his value and took him aboard. It was not an early signing. They waited until they saw the season was a go on Dec 31. Dylan was signed on Jan. 18th. Johnson had time to bring him back into the fold.

LeBlanc got out ahead of the pack to insure he would have a spot somewhere when he signed with the ECHL Florida Everblades on Nov. 12, 2020. The fact that he is in the ECHL makes him available for poaching by any AHL team on a PTO and can then be signed to an AHL contract if they like him. That's how Blujus was originally acquired by Utica on Dec. 13, 2017 from the Jacksonville Icemen. Utica signed him up on Jan. 17, 2018 after he recorded 8Pts in 14GP. We should see LeBlanc back in town on a PTO before the first game on Friday. Johnson didn't get Staefan in the first place, but he did acquire a much lesser talented Matt Petgrave who is now an Everblade as well. It wouldn't surprise me to see Johnson bring in his selection of Petgrave in the next few days and leave LeBlanc in Florida.

These were 2 proven talents and could have been secured if Johnson could have taken any steps without the almighty's approval. Most AHL GMs have the ability to sign depth players or roster spot fill-ins to AHL contracts. Johnson was 50/50 on the 2 he did re-sign, LW Vincent Arseneau and C John Stevens. Arseneau fills a specific role and has done it well over the past 3 seasons. Stevens is a depth center at best and has already been pushed into the top 4 where Michaelis belongs. He's another cab rider not getting any game time in Vancouver. Bring Graovac into the Cab. He's not doing anything with Manitoba shut down.

It has been obvious to anyone with eyes that the Comets D was ultra manpower short when Juolevi, Chatfield, Rafferety, Rathbone, Brisebois were kept by Vancouver and Sautner was assigned to AHL Manitoba. Add that to St. Louis keeping Jake Walman and Scott Perunovich who were both on the original list of 19 sent to Utica. The result was 7 total D-men on the roster. Only a pure idiot would enter a season with that number of D-men.

To add to that situation, beyond the 2 sound defenders in the group that d-squad contained:
2 rookies - Jett Woo and Tyler Tucker
2 Comets depth defenders from 2019-20 who recorded 7Pts between them in 56GP and were not stellar on defense either - Josh Teves* and Mitch Eliot
1 5th yr pro who hasn't managed to make it out of the ECHL for a full season yet.
Not exactly a glittering group.

Now, add Rathbone and Perunovich (yet to see the ice with their teams, Vancouver 12GP and St.Louis 9GP) to that mix and you have 9 D-men and a top 6 with 2 solid experienced defenders, 2 guys that their parents consider very promising prospects that need to play every game, and then 2 guys you select out of the remaining 5 after giving them all a shot to prove they belong in the top 6.

Without further injury when Hamonic comes back one of those defenders riding around in the cab has to come down and my philosophy of highly regarded prospects have to play, would identify that person as Rathbone. Manitoba now unable to play should mean Sautner goes to Vancouver's cab and again Rathbone comes down. 2 more games (tonight and Thursday) and the Canucks will have played 1/4 of their games and the kid is growing moss.

In the final point of this post, the Utica Comets need more D-men and preferably a couple who can actually compete on their own in this league to help those who are still trying to get there and won't do it flying by the seat of their pants. All prospects beyond the blue chip, can't miss guys need on ice guidance, role modeling, in game direction, and brains on the bench to pick between shifts.

*Incidentally Teves will be the 2nd highest paid Comet at $700K and the highest paid D-man with the team's 2 leading defenders receiving way less. - Steve Santini $300K and Mitch Reinke $100K. Another financial head scratcher deal done by Benning. If it took that much $ to get this kid to sign, the better move would have been to say, "Bye-Bye". There was no reason to give this 100% unproven talent that kind of money when your drafted ELC guys, who you already determined were more talented and that's why you drafted them, will get $70,000 for 3 years in the AHL unless they make the Vancouver roster where they will get somewhere around $200K more than this stiff is still getting in the AHL.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
From what I understand Ontario has not approved the return to play procedures which affects the Marlies and Baby Sens. It was supposed to be straightened out by now but hasn't happened yet. I assume that they will have something figured out before too much longer.

So is it only Ontario? Manitoba, Laval, and Stockton in Calgary wont be playing a season with that kind of travel without Toronto and Ottawa in between thus they are a delay until Ontario makes up it's mind. Their COVID situation has not been good.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Thanks for your in depth post, Bad Goalie.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Mike Gillis make the AHL team and it's performance a priority? I remember he said that in an interview or something.

Seems like Benning has only marginally considered the importance of the AHL team and the subsequent ECHL team.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks for your in depth post, Bad Goalie.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Mike Gillis make the AHL team and it's performance a priority? I remember he said that in an interview or something.

Seems like Benning has only marginally considered the importance of the AHL team and the subsequent ECHL team.

Yes, and that's why Lorne Henning was given the task to do such. Not a bad job in 2 seasons with a brand new team. AHL rosters turnover en masse, but what Benning did to that roster and how he has treated it thereafter shows zero resemblance to the plan Gillis had for the farm. He was aiming at the type of production Toronto and Tampa Bay have had going over the past few AHL seasons.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Just checked the 'puter tonight and went to Utica Comets.com as I do first thing any day I log on. Saw this and was surprised, but didn't know if I should be happy or not. I mean this is great. Can't go to the Games, but get it on live TV. Next best thing, right? Have Utica people ever run a TV broadcast? Will it be several cameras at ideal locations or will it be the AHL/TV camera crew with one or 2 shots that zoom in and out.

Hey, something is better than nothing right? However, the Comets have paid for AHL subscriptions for all season ticket holders. We get all home and away games. Which telecast will be the best or will they actually be the same?

I don't really care. Either way Esche and company's actions deserve praise. Trying to find a way to keep their avid fan base involved under the scourge of the virus is first-class.

I'll simply watch both and see exactly what is happening and then stick with the best choice. It's free for me either way so i have nothing to complain about.

Then I went to this site and saw your post. Thanks for the heads up.

Have you seen that Bouch is feasting on KHL cooking? 20G/20A/40Pts/47GP with Avangard Omsk. Omsk is in Southwestern Siberia. All I could think of was how the Communist government exiled all their political dissidents to Siberian Gulags.
It's a little colder than the averages here in Utica: February daily high 10/daily low -3, record low for the month -50!!!!!!!. As long as he can keep his ass warm, he'll be fine. Good for him.

Goldy not doing quite as well. he's played for 2 different KHL teams, CSKA Moskva (Moscow) his original team 4G/78A/11Pts/21GP and Metallurg Magnitogorsk where he is faring better
2G/6A/8Pts/12GP.

Camper starring in the SHL. 12G/26A/38Pts/38GP.

Utica's Veteran leaders of last season (#1, 2 and 7 in scoring), all playing, putting up exemplary numbers, and making good money in the highest leagues in the countries they are playing.

Compare that to #3-6 scoring from last year. Bailey and Rafferty rotting in the taxi in Vancouver not having playe3d once in the Canucks 13 GP to date and still making their AHL money until/if they get out of the cab.

Bartschi and Lind about to begin a joke of an AHL season in which 3 teams won't even play, the others are in geographically condensed divisions of various numbers, teams playing different amounts of games both in different divisions and even within their own divisions, the number of games will be a fraction of a regular season, money is pro-rated, and the different # of games played from team to team is inconsequential because as of now there are no playoffs anyways.

Can't blame Baertschi. He is still under contract to the Canucks and makes the same good bucks playing in Utica or Vancouver and has a chance to possibly open up some NHL team's eyes to a little value as a Taxi squad member. Next year he'll be back in Europe signed to one of Europe's top teams. He could probably play in his home Swiss League for a whole lot of years.

Lind is till holding out hope to find his way into the Vancouver lineup at least by next season. Playing with Anas and Bart he should have the points that allude to his skill. I'm still leery of his talent actually being NHL level.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....this likely means that the best prospects for more than half of Canada's NHL teams will have no place to play. There's really no way to put a positive 'spin' on it. A whole season of lost development really puts these kids behind the eight-ball.

I really hope that guys like Rathbone, Rafferty and DiPietro eventually make their way to Utica. Simply skating, practicing and doing off-ice workouts for an entire year would also be a black hole in terms of their development.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Wow!....this likely means that the best prospects for more than half of Canada's NHL teams will have no place to play. There's really no way to put a positive 'spin' on it. A whole season of lost development really puts these kids behind the eight-ball.

I really hope that guys like Rathbone, Rafferty and DiPietro eventually make their way to Utica. Simply skating, practicing and doing off-ice workouts for an entire year would also be a black hole in terms of their development.
I saw this over at the AHL forum. One way or another the AHL Canadian division will start playing soon.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Bailey and Rafferty rotting in the taxi in Vancouver not having playe3d once in the Canucks 13 GP to date and still making their AHL money until/if they get out of the cab.

Rafferty is on a one-way contract so he's doing fine. Bailey is better off of the taxi squad where he's getting paid and has a chance at a call-up if injuries/illness strike, as opposed to being in Utica.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Rafferty is on a one-way contract so he's doing fine. Bailey is better off of the taxi squad where he's getting paid and has a chance at a call-up if injuries/illness strike, as opposed to being in Utica.
I can't imagine anyone on the taxi squad is looking to come back to the AHL this year to get some games in. On the taxi squad they at least get all of their AHL salary portion of a two way contract. In the AHL this year they may receive as little as 48% of the salary depending on how many games their AHL team plays this year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Correct and he should be joined by Graovac and Sautner so that Michaelis and Rathbone can play hockey this season. This should be an important year of development and they are not getting it. The Canucks aren't even practicing with the schedule they are keeping and even when the game days even out a little travel will burn up a lot of the time they would be able to practice. This schedule is hectic and these rookies need to be playing every day.

I will stick with this philosophy until I die. You can't get better if you don't play on a regular basis and that's not happening. 1 year and 7 months if they lose out on this season before coming back next October with no promise of being any farther ahead then than they are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad