The Fourth 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
A lot of guys who would normally be AHL first-line forwards, first-pair defencemen or first-string goalies will instead be on taxi squads. Won't hurt the younger/lesser prospects that much but for more advanced guys such as DiPietro and Lind, playing this season in AHL Light probably isn't going to help them a whole lot. Lind at least could get started on regular PK duty and taking on a bigger leadership role but he's not going to get the opportunity to play with/against the quality of players that he needs to develop to the fullest. DiPietro would probably get as much out of practicing against NHL shooters and working regularly with Ian Clark as he would from playing in a watered-down version of the AHL.

As such, I hope Canucks' roster and taxi squad decisions are made on merit and not on "Oh, he's young, he needs to play so we're sending him to Utica." If DiPietro is the third best goalie option for the Canucks then he should be on the taxi squad rather than in Utica.

One good thing about some AHL franchises not operating this season: it will lessen the decline in calibre by concentrating the available talent into fewer teams. There will still be a loss at the top end but the depth below that should be okay.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Took a gander at the St. Louis non-NHL roster players on Cap Friendly, and I must confess I don't know much about any of them. They played last year for the San Antonio Rampage so they never passed through Utica last season. About the only recognizable name is Jordan Kyrou, who would be a nice add if he finds his way to the Comets.

Surely between the NHL prospects from two NHL teams, the Comets can find a legit first-line center for one of the first times in team history!

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Took a gander at the St. Louis non-NHL roster players on Cap Friendly, and I must confess I don't know much about any of them. They played last year for the San Antonio Rampage so they never passed through Utica last season. About the only recognizable name is Jordan Kyrou, who would be a nice add if he finds his way to the Comets.

Surely between the NHL prospects from two NHL teams, the Comets can find a legit first-line center for one of the first times in team history!
Camper was the 5th highest scoring center in the AHL last season and 3rd in terms of assists. How is that not a legit first-line center?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
how will the callups work then. half blues prospects half utica guys? especially the ones with the big club right now? they can only get called up by their own parent clubs right.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
how will the callups work then. half blues prospects half utica guys? especially the ones with the big club right now? they can only get called up by their own parent clubs right.
Once the Utica lineup is set, and if the 'taxi squad' for Canadian NHL teams lasts the entire season (and it probably will because of COVID restrictions at the border)....I could see a scenario where the Canucks don't recall a single player from Utica this season.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Welcome aboard Blues prospects.

Will the Coaches come with them?

Any clues as to what prospects we might see here?

I posted this in the Blues forum on a question of a Vancouver fan, might as well post it here too:

For now I expect Mikkola, Walman, Gillies, Poganski, De La Rose to be in the Blues taxisquad. This leaves one spot, possible candidate is Kostin, who is in the KHL right now and is waiting untill visa problems are solved before he can come back to the Us. These are the players that are almost certainly not going to make opening roster.

Possible taxisquad:
Jacob de la Rose at eliteprospects.com
Austin Poganski at eliteprospects.com
Niko Mikkola at eliteprospects.com
Jake Walman at eliteprospects.com
Jon Gillies at eliteprospects.com

Potentially to Utica?

Forwards

Sam Anas at eliteprospects.com
Tanner Kaspick at eliteprospects.com
Dakota Joshua at eliteprospects.com
Hugh McGing at eliteprospects.com
Nolan Stevens at eliteprospects.com
Curtis McKenzie at eliteprospects.com
Nathan Walker at eliteprospects.com
Evan Polei at eliteprospects.com
Klim Kostin at eliteprospects.com

Defense
Scott Perunovich at eliteprospects.com
Steven Santini at eliteprospects.com
Mitch Reinke at eliteprospects.com
Tyler Tucker at eliteprospects.com

Goalies
Evan Fitzpatrick at eliteprospects.com
Joel Hofer at eliteprospects.com

Out of the players in the last row Perunovich, Kostin, McGing, Reinke, Tucker, Stevens and Hofer need to play IMO. Kaspick, Joshua, Polei and Fitzpatrick are plugs. In a stacked AHL-squad they could be ECHL-fodder. However, as we don't have a ECHL-team this year...

Some other notes:
- Perunovich was the last Hobey Baker award winner
- Anas was last years AHL topscorer
- McKenzie is a good scorer and vet with NHL experience with the Stars
- Santini experienced vet with NHL experience with the Devils and Predators
- Hofer was Canada's winning goalie at last years WJC

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Just saw the news too, the ghosts of the Peoria Rivermen live on!

Any guesses on who STL might send to the Comets?

Honestly no clue because I don't think anyone has any idea how the taxi squad is going to work. The Blues prospects that are on pro contracts (As in, not going back to junior) would basically be Scott Perunovich (stud), Niko Mikkola, MAYBE Jake Neighbours if he can't go to junior. But do those guys just sit on our taxi squad instead? No one knows. I would think stud prospect Jordan Kyrou has been around long enough that he'll stay in St Louis.

Otherwise should be career AHLers I believe. Not a booming prospect pool.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I can't tell you who in the group will be part of the Taxi squad, who will find outs to Europe, and who will be sent to Utica.
However, these are the players currently under contract to the St. Louis Blues and are not presently listed on the Blues roster.
The Blues have 40 players in camp. Players who are under contract and played last season are not there. They will be noted with an asterisk before their name.

The following are on ELCs:

*Klim Kostin - 21, 6'3"/212 RW. He was selected by the Blues in the 2017 1st round. He has played 3 seasons with the AHL Rampage. He finished last season with 13/17/30 in 48 GP. He is currently in Russia where he was playing when the Blues announced their roster. He is having visa difficulties as getting visas to enter the country is very difficult under COVID regulations. It's unlikely with quarantine requirements and the visa issues he could even attend camp at all. His season is up in the air. He was supposed to be given a shot at the Blues roster.
* He will be entering his 4th season with the Blues, but CapFriendly lists him on an ELC.

*Nikita Alexandrov - 20, 6'/183 C. 2019 2nd round selection of the Blues. 1st season of his ELC which would make him a rookie. He's not in camp, but is listed as playing on loan in the Liiga.

*Alexei Toropchenko - 21, 6'3"/187 C. 2017 4th round selection of the Blues. This would be his 3rd pro season. Last yr with the Rampage was far from successful. 5/4/9 in 59 GP. He is not in camp.

Jordan Kyrou - 22, 6'/174 RW. 2016 2nd round selection of the Blues. Split last season between San Antonio and St. Louis.
AHL 9/6/15 in 16 GP. NHL 4/5/9 in 29 GP. This will be his 3rd ELC season and many expect him to remain with the Blues.

*Evan Polei - 24, 6'2"/227 LW. He was signed as an undrafted free agent after having spent 2 seasons in the AHL with Bakersfield. His third year was in San Antonio on the 1st of his 2 yr contract with the Blues, 1/3/4 in 21 GP. This would be his 4th pro season. He is not in camp.

Tanner Kaspick - 22, 6'/200 C. 2016 4th round selection of the Blues. In his 2nd season with the Rampage he put up 6/8/14 in 59 GP. This will be the 3rd yr of his ELC.

*Dakota Joshua - 24, 6'2"/199 C. Signed for last season with St. Louis after 4 seasons with NCAA Ohio State. He played at ECHL Tulsa (3/8/11 in 20 GP) and AHL San Antonio (3/4/7 in 30 GP). This will be his 2nd and final ELC season. He is not in camp.

Hugh McGing - 22, 5'8"/167 LW/C. 2018 5th round selection of the Blues. Comes in after 4 years at NCAA Western Michigan. He will be a rookie on the 1st year of his ELC.

Scott Perunovich - 22, 5'9"/172 LD. Rookie. 2018 2nd round selection of the Blues. He spent the previous 3 seasons at NCAA U of Minnesota Duluth. All he did at Minn. Duluth was win the 2020 Hobey Baker Award as the NCAA's top college player of the year where as a D-man he put up 6/34/40 in 34 GP. Yr. one of his ELC. He is one who we could be very fortunate to watch play here this season. St Louis is not as desperate to ice their top prospects as soon as possible like Benning does. Here's to hope.

Tyler Tucker - 20, 6'1"/203 LD. Another rookie. 2018 7th round selection of the Blues. This rookie was thought to be slated to start his pro career in ECHL Tulsa.

*Evan Fitzpatrick - 22, 6'3"/206 G. 2016 2nd round selection of the Blues. 3rd yr of his ELC. Has been in the ECHL both previous seasons and has not posted impressive numbers.

The following are under contract to the Blues, but are slated to be minor league players (AHL).

Sam Anas - 27, 5'8"/157 C. Signed as a free agent with the Minnesota Wild after 3 years at NCAA Quinnipiac. He played 4 seasons with the Iowa Wild with no taste from Minny. Took to open market as a UFA after winning the 2019-20 AHL scoring title posting 20G/50A/70 points in 63 GP. Utica's Reid Boucher finished 2nd with 67 Pts in 53 GP and finished 2nd in goals with 34 to Anas's linemate Gerry Mayhew's 39G and 61 Pts in 49 GP. Mayhew was the premier goal and point man. It would have been interesting to see how he would have finished had he played a normal full season.
Anas has signed a 2 yr, 2-way deal that will pay him $350K in the AHL. Good kind of player to build an offense around. Exactly the kind of UFA teams should look to sign to help their prospects develop. His numbers are superb and with only 259 AHL GP he doesn't count as a veteran exempt (261) let alone a veteran.

Nikko Mikkola - 24, 6'4"/185 LD. 2015 3rd round selection. He is in the 3rd ELC season. Last year with the Rampage he produced 2/12/14 in 48 GP.

Mitch Reinke - 24, 5'11"/181 RD. Signed with St. Louis as free agent in 2018 after 2 seasons with NCAA Michigan Tech. He has signed a 1yr 2-way deal. Last season with the Rampage he posted 5/17/22 in 46 GP.

Jake Walman - 24, 6'1"/201 LD. 2014 3rd round selection with the Blues. This will be his 4th pro season. Last yr. with the Rampage he posted 8/19/27 in 57 GP.

Steve Santini - 25, 6'2"/207 RD. 2013 2nd round selection of the New Jersey Devils. He played 114 games with NJ in his 3 seasons there. He was then traded to Nashville. He was waived by the Nashville Predators after a single season in 2019-20 and signed by St. Louis to a 1yr, 2-way deal worth $300K in the AHL. Last season he posted 2/10/12 in 54 GP with AHL Milwaukee.

Curtis McKenzie - 29, 6'2"/205 LW. 2009 6th round selection of the Dallas Stars. He played 5 seasons in the Dallas organization. As a free agent he signed a 2yr deal with Vegas and spent both seasons with the AHL Chicago Wolves. Last season's numbers were 17/25/42. He has now signed a 1yr, 2-way deal that will pay him $325K in the AHL. He will be Veteran by AHL rules.

Austin Poganski - 24, 6'2"/201 RW. 2014 4th round selection of the Blues. Signed by St Louis in 2018-19 to an ELC after 4 years at U of North Dakota. He spent the bulk of those 2 ELC seasons in San Antonio. He has been signed for the 20-21 season to a 1yr, 2-way. Last season he posted 10/20/30 in 56 GP.

Nolan Stevens - 24, 6'3"/183 LW. 2016 5th round selection by the Blues. He signed a 2 yr ELC after 4 seasons at NCAA Northeastern U. He has signed a 1yr, 2-way contract for this season. Last year with the Rampage he posted 9/22/31 in 50 GP. Bet we see him as he is the coach's son and needs to play every day.

Nathan Walker - 26, 5'9"/189 LW. 2014 3rd round selection of the Washington Caps. After 6 seasons with the Washington organization he left as a free agent and was signed to a 2yr, 2-way by the Blues. He went 19/13/32 in 46 GP with the Rampage last season. He is guaranteed $350K this season. He would be a veteran by AHL rules.

John Gillies - 26, 6'6"/223 G. 2012 3rd round selection by the Calgary Flames. Played 4 season with the Calgary organization logging a total of 12 NHL game. He signed with the Blues as a free agent this season on a 1yr, 2-way contract with $350K at the AHL level. His 5yr AHL numbers are 2.92 GAA and a .906 SV%. Is this the possible Veteran goalie the Comets will have since most believe DiPietro will be the taxi squad goalie, which goes against my philosophy for a 2nd year pro. 24 yr-old Jake Kielly is the other option with a total of 2 AHL appearances and 24 ECHL GP (3.97/.887).

That's 21 players under contract to the Blues. 2 would be considered veterans by AHL rules.

Sam Anas, Nathan Walker, Nolan Stevens, Austin Poganski, Curtis McKenzie, Jake Walman, Mike Reinke have the most notable numbers.

Scott Perunovich is the top star power prospect.

Jordan Kyrou looks to be an excellent AHL player, but may be with the Blues.

Most of the prospects have not impressed in any way statistically.

At any rate that's 21 players with only 2 vets.

The Canucks list 22 non roster players. Tyler Graovac and Justin Bailey are Veterans and Ashton Sautner is a Veteran Exempt by AHL rules.

Right this minute the Canucks have 20 players (14 forwards and 6 D-men) on their roster and 2 goalies. Hamonic would make 7 Dmen. That's 23 players, the number on the normal season roster.

I don't know if they know even now how many they will carry on the active roster and then how many on the taxi squad to make up their total number.

Eriksson and Baertschi are the only Vancouver roster players that keep showing up as the names the Canucks ought to be send down. Personally I see them collecting their bucks in Vancouver on the Taxi squad. I'd almost bet if any off that list are demoted to the AHL it would be Baertschi, another Veteran.

That would mean a possible 5 vets and 1 vet exempt. That's a legal game day number.

Rafferty, Rathbone, Chatfield, and Sautner would be the source of the Taxi squad D-men. Graovac and Bailety make sense to be added as forwards, but exactly who the final Vancouver group will entail is pure speculation until we see it.

As to the Utica Comets, I believe veterans Wacey Hamilton and Carter Bancks are on the 2020-21 AHL roster. With the the Blues additions the roster will have a good chance to have 40 players. They will be carrying their own taxi squad although the Kalamazoo Wings and the Tulsa Oilers will have teams in the ECHL slated to start on January 15.

It's going to be a wild ride watching Cull, who has never liked many extra players around, trying to sift through these numbers and finding a way to please everyone with ice time. Both teams could help him by letting Europeans go home. Benning has never had a problem with that, but the Comets don't have very many that could exercise that option. Contrary to what many believe, I think the AHL will still be very competitve and worthwhile for the prospects.

Reactions: cc

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Great post minus the crack about Benning. Other than possibly McCann and Virtanen who both would have went to junior who has Benning rushed?

Interested in Lind, Rathbone, Mikey D. progession. Also, if Woo can play. Nice to see Utica players moving up last two years.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Not sure what the status of Wacey Hamilton and Carter Bancks is. Their last two year AHL contracts ran out after last season and there was never an announcement of them signing a new deal.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Not sure what the status of Wacey Hamilton and Carter Bancks is. Their last two year AHL contracts ran out after last season and there was never an announcement of them signing a new deal.

Correct, at present the Comets do not have any players signed to AHL deals. Expect it to stay that way until the Canucks and Blues have determined plans with all of their contracted players.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see some pundits on Sportsnet are predicting that it'll be the two Blues goalies tending the pipes in Utica this season. The problem is, if they send DiPietro to the Comets, he'd have to quarantine for two weeks if the Canucks wanted to recall him. They're speculating that he might loaned to another AHL team in Canada, which would cut the quarantine time in half.

I suppose they could always keep Keilly on the Taxi Squad as the emergency backup and practice goalie. But they also need to get DiPietro some games, which he wouldn't get if they kept him in Vancouver on the taxi squad.

Shaping up as another difficult season for many of the Canucks' prospects in N.A.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hopefully if they ever figure out how to rollout the vaccine we will get a chance to watch them play live towards the end of the season. Not holding my breath but its a nice thought.

With last season coming to a chaotic quick stop and my not attending games due to the virus and then the lengthy layoff until now (Comets will be off game ice for nearly a year when they finally are schduled to play another game, I lost the Bancks/Hamilton contract expirations in the mess.

What a blessing that would be. The vet numbers will be minimal without those 2 finding their way into the lineup as Johnson'/Cull's mandatory "veteran leaders".

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Great post minus the crack about Benning. Other than possibly McCann and Virtanen who both would have went to junior who has Benning rushed?

Interested in Lind, Rathbone, Mikey D. progession. Also, if Woo can play. Nice to see Utica players moving up last two years.

Where did I mention in the above post that Benning was rushing anyone. I said he has always offered AHL eligible European players fighting to gain advancement to the Canucks an out back to Europe instead of suiting up on the smaller ice and learning to play the north American game mostly far from home living on minimum ELC paychecks in the AHL like every Canadian and American kid has to.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Rathbone can really skate and is good with the puck. I like his chances of becoming a full-time NHLer. AHL this season would do him good.

Haven't seen anything of DiPietro for 10 months now but he looked like a decent prospect last season as a rookie.

Lind is facing an uphill battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad