The Fourth 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Mind boggling absurd!!!!!!!!!!!

Teves not signing because he wasn't going to get a year burned off would have been no loss. To make him the highest paid player on the Comets would be outright criminally stupid.

*Update to previous post.

I'm not going to go back through the history to look at every significant Comets' salary, but that may make him the highest paid Comet since their birth and he isn't remotely close to deserving that kind of paycheck.

He may become the first Comet to receive openly negative attention from the fan base if he doesn't produce to the level of the best Comets D-man ever at that price. It might not be his fault that his salary is so high, but he will be measured by it unfair or not.
BG,

Hear little locally on the status of the Comets or the AHL start.

Any word on the street?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Just the AHL announcement that they are aiming for a Feb. 5th start. The only players at the moment are those previously on AHL contracts or recently signed new ones as they were RFAs. That group is comprised of Brisebois and Sautner. The 2 left unsigned in that category are Chatfield and Bailey.

Lockwood and Michaelis were signed after their NCAA season's were scratched last season.

Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, Eliot, Teves, and Woo are under contract.

Palmu is still under contract, but hopefully that ship has sailed.

Cap Friendly lists Hoglander, Hawryluk, Juolevi, Rafferty as Non roster players under contract to Vancouver and are thus considered Comets until any of them are added to the Canucks roster.

Michael DiPietro (21) and Jake Kielly (24) are signed along with 19-yr-old Arturs Silovs to take on the net minding chores. That crew is far from solid beyond Mikey. Mikey was good, still only has 36 games under his belt. Arturs has never played a minute at the AHL level and Kielly played in a total of 2 games last season. At age 24 and only 2 AHL games does not speak highly of Jake.

A veteran keeper would be a good thing for these kids.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just the AHL announcement that they are aiming for a Feb. 5th start. The only players at the moment are those previously on AHL contracts or recently signed new ones as they were RFAs. That group is comprised of Brisebois and Sautner. The 2 left unsigned in that category are Chatfield and Bailey.

Lockwood and Michaelis were signed after their NCAA season's were scratched last season.

Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, Eliot, Teves, and Woo are under contract.

Palmu is still under contract, but hopefully that ship has sailed.

Cap Friendly lists Hoglander, Hawryluk, Juolevi, Rafferty as Non roster players under contract to Vancouver and are thus considered Comets until any of them are added to the Canucks roster.

Michael DiPietro (21) and Jake Kielly (24) are signed along with 19-yr-old Arturs Silovs to take on the net minding chores. That crew is far from solid beyond Mikey. Mikey was good, still only has 36 games under his belt. Arturs has never played a minute at the AHL level and Kielly played in a total of 2 games last season. At age 24 and only 2 AHL games does not speak highly of Jake.

A veteran keeper would be a good thing for these kids.
Although Bailey and Chatfield haven't signed contracts yet, they were qualified by the Canucks so you have to assume that they'll eventually find their way to Utica. Same with Baertschi, who isn't likely to make the Canucks roster and has sailed through waivers a couple of times.

But according to my count, that's still going to leave the Canucks short of bodies for Utica, particularly with Hoglander returning to Sweden if he doesn't crack the Canucks lineup.

So leads me to think that Benning isn't done yet with his roster tinkering and there's still a lot of good AHL forwards out on the free agent list.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Although Bailey and Chatfield haven't signed contracts yet, they were qualified by the Canucks so you have to assume that they'll eventually find their way to Utica. Same with Baertschi, who isn't likely to make the Canucks roster and has sailed through waivers a couple of times.

But according to my count, that's still going to leave the Canucks short of bodies for Utica, particularly with Hoglander returning to Sweden if he doesn't crack the Canucks lineup.

So leads me to think that Benning isn't done yet with his roster tinkering and there's still a lot of good AHL forwards out on the free agent list.

There always have been a lot of AHL forwards available before every Comets season, but by the time Benning has finished "with his roster tinkering" the real good ones were always gone and in some cases there were nothing but dregs like Blair Jones, John Kurtz, Cam Darcy, Andrew Cherniwchan, Brendan Woods, and Borna Rendulic (who was supposed to be good but was barely meh).

Reactions: vanuck

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I was watching an interview with a Doctor that is on Biden's COVID advisory board last night. He is warning that the US could see 3,000 deaths per day by the beginning of February. There will not be an AHL season in Utica or anywhere that requires fans in the arena to make it economically feasible.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I was watching an interview with a Doctor that is on Biden's COVID advisory board last night. He is warning that the US could see 3,000 deaths per day by the beginning of February. There will not be an AHL season in Utica or anywhere that requires fans in the arena to make it economically feasible.

This guy put real hard numbers to my recent general statements as I saw the spiraling Virus based upon the human behavior I was witnessing both on the home front as well as across the country. It spelled deep doodoo for the upcoming AHL/NHL seasons.

I saw Fauci state yesterday that he is hopeful the vaccine will become available in April------or ---------May----------or----------June. That's not a certainty. Any of those months will mean the general public comes after the essential workers, the most susceptible population (nursing homes, people with medical issues that make them vulnerable, the senior population).

I have to believe the politicians will be considered immediately necessary.

The general population will be the last and largest group. Another of those medical people said it will take up to a year or more to get the whole population vaccinated.

Then we have the anti-vaxxers who grow in number by the day. They will throw a monkey wrench into the plans to get to ever citizen. I say let them have their "freedom". They can infect one another if that's their wish.

Regardless, I too see a tarp thrown over the playing of the game we hope can see the light of day.

If Bettman and the owners rearrange the league into the "hubs" they are investigating and the Canadian teams become a division, you can forget the Comets anyways. The American teams who are farms to Canadian teams will have to be relocated to Canada as well.

If they were to play elsewhere, I could see it becoming the end of the Comets in Utica. Period.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
This guy put real hard numbers to my recent general statements as I saw the spiraling Virus based upon the human behavior I was witnessing both on the home front as well as across the country. It spelled deep doodoo for the upcoming AHL/NHL seasons.

I saw Fauci state yesterday that he is hopeful the vaccine will become available in April------or ---------May----------or----------June. That's not a certainty. Any of those months will mean the general public comes after the essential workers, the most susceptible population (nursing homes, people with medical issues that make them vulnerable, the senior population).

I have to believe the politicians will be considered immediately necessary.

The general population will be the last and largest group. Another of those medical people said it will take up to a year or more to get the whole population vaccinated.

Then we have the anti-vaxxers who grow in number by the day. They will throw a monkey wrench into the plans to get to ever citizen. I say let them have their "freedom". They can infect one another if that's their wish.

Regardless, I too see a tarp thrown over the playing of the game we hope can see the light of day.

If Bettman and the owners rearrange the league into the "hubs" they are investigating and the Canadian teams become a division, you can forget the Comets anyways. The American teams who are farms to Canadian teams will have to be relocated to Canada as well.

If they were to play elsewhere, I could see it becoming the end of the Comets in Utica. Period.

I hope you're wrong about this. But, I don't think you are.

I feel less and less optimistic about any sort of AHL season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
With the AHL not due to start until February, depth players are now finding other paces to play.

Dyson Stevenson has re-signed with his former ECHL team, the Allen Americans of Allen, Texas.
Texas has the highest number of Covid cases in the nation having just passed 1 million. This might not be any better move than waiting to see what the comets will do.
Dyson managed 2 G/2 A in 33GP and racked up 59 PIM mostly fighting majors.
The Americans are Affiliated with both the ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild.

Seamus Malone has signed with the Indianapolis Fuel of the ECHL. Seamus was a dependable depth center/wing. He scored 4 goals (that's 4 times the number scored by Chatfield last year and twice as many as Jalen in his 142 AHL hockey games with the Comets, LOL. Seamus also picked up a single assist.
The Fuel are the ECHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Stefan LeBlanc has signed with the ECHL Florida Everblades in Estero, Florida. Estero is between Ft. Myers and Naples. Stefen was acquired for the Comets in a trade with Toronto during the 2018-19 season and stepped in a played a very respectable AHL game. Last season the o-o-o-o-ooo Teves and Eliot pair were signed to Vancouver contracts and got the ice time ahead of Leblanc on his AHL contract. Stefan was the better D-mean of the trio.
The Everblades are the ECHL affiliate of the Nashville Predators.

The Kalamazoo Wings are the ECHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks. Seems like pseudo-AHL GM Johnson should have been working with HIS farm to find room for at least 2 of these guys, who have shown they can hold their own in the AHL especially LeBlanc. If the Comets lose Juolevi and Rafferty to the Canucks and Chatfield ?!?! is the first callup or even the 8th man on a 8D/13F NHL roster, Leblanc would be a valuable piece to have on hand.

I recognize that players in the ECHL can sign PTOs with AHL teams, but it seems a slight to have them hunting up jobs elsewhere in the ECHL when the Canucks have their own affiliate in Kalamazoo.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Everybody is focused on COVID's impact on billionaire owners and millionaire players in the NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL. And I guess they're the glamour sports with all the star players who get media and TV coverage. So it's understandable.

But my heart goes out to the kids with pro dreams or veterans hoping for one last hurrah in the Bigs. The impact of this virus on minor pro sports like the AHL and Minor League baseball has been devastating. For some players it could be the end of their dreams and they didn't make that much money to begin with.

I'm seriously praying the AHL can resume with fans in the building by Feb. 5th, but agree it'll probably take a miracle for that to happen.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hey Comets fans, the Canucks have signed RFA Jalen Chatfield to a 1-yr, 2-way contract. Justin Bailey was the last unsigned, but that has changed as he signed a 1 yr, 2-way contract. All of last season's Comets are either under Vancouver contracts for this season (Lukas Jasek, Kole Lind, Zack MacEwen, Tyler Graovac, Justin Bailey, Jonah Gadjovich, Sven Baertschi, Olli Juolevi, Brogan Rafferty, Jalen Chatfield, Ashton Sautner, Guillaume Brisebois, Mitch Eliot, Josh Teves, Michael DiPietro, ZaneMcIntyre), left for greener pastures (Reid Boucher, Nikolay Goldobin, Carter Camper, Stefan LeBlanc, Dyson Stevenson), are signed to AHL contracts (Carter Bancks, Wacey Hamilton), or still remain free agents (Francis Perron, Vincent Arseneau, Dylan Blujus, David Pope, John Stevens). You can add newcomers signed by Vancouver as well (Will Lockwood, Marc Michaelis, JettWoo).

Another likely to end up in the AHL is Jayce Hawryluk, a newly acquired forward, 4-yr pro with 148 AHL GP, 68 NHL GP (42 played in 2018-19). I say this because the Canucks list 15 forwards counting Ferland, MacEwen, and Baertschi.

Ferland could end up LTIR, but as of now he has stated he intends to play.
It has appeared after last season that Baertschi has no chance to play in Vancouver, but he is still signed, which implies either here or Vancouver.

Out of this mix I would bet it ends up either Mac or Hawryluk in Vancouver and the other 2 would be Comets. It will be either 13 forwards and 8 D or 14 forwards and 7 D on the Vancouver roster. Either way means someone of quality to Utica in the form of at least 1 forward or 2 D-men.

Some of the Vancouver contracts could end up Canucks out of camp. Best bets would be MacEwen, Juolevi, and/or Rafferty. I don't believe Benning is finished bringing in new blood. Expect an NHL level D-man will be added before the season starts. The newbie plus Hughes, Edler, Myers, Schmidt, and Benn makes 6. They could carry 7 or 8. Juolevi, Rafferty, and Rathbone would be the top choices to pick from.

Methinks Rathbone will start inVancouver. Prove himself to be very good and end up displacing a weak link in Vancouver who will then be demoted to the Comets.

Methinks again. The 2-way for Chatfield signals he will not make the big club and will be assigned to the Comets once again.

BIG-G-G-G PROBLEM? If the NHL goes with an all Canada Division, the U.S. farms of those NHL teams in Canada will not play in the U.S. The Canada/US border remains closed making it impossible to send players on those teams up and down. Even if they did allow it for the NHL and its farms, a quarantine would be required for every player going up or down. Calling a guy up because of need would be impossible under that condition.

This means even if the AHL does get the okay to play, the Comets would have to be moved to Canada for the season.

There is one other possibility. I don't see it happening, but if the NHL were to agree, the NHL teams with this dilemma could break training camp with a surplus number of non-NHL roster contracts. The players ordinarily assigned to the AHL until needed and then called up would stay in Vancouver and practice separately from the NHL team. They would be paid the AHL salary dictated by their 2-way contracts. On paper they don't exist. If a callup is necessary, they get brought on board on the NHL half of the 2-way. They would never be assigned to the AHL, just call it laid off like regular workers do until the company has a need to call them back to work. Their AHL salaries would be like unemployment insurance.

The Utica Comets would consist of Vancouver signed players that would not be eligible to play in the NHL during this season unless the rules of both countries regarding the pandemic were changed. Thus, the Comets would still be used to develop players and the remainder of their roster would be filled out with free agents the same as always. It would make for a weaker team than their opponents whose NHL teams are located in the U.S., but the franchise would still be afloat. Aquaman would have to be on the hook for a little extra money, but if all the players in Utica were on NHL ELCs, minimum AHL salaries, and larger contracts for a few AHL level free agents, it wouldn't be a whole lot different. The extra layout would be for the 7 or so guys practicing in Vancouver like a black aces contingent. However, if the the Canucks and the Comets were to incur the same kind of injury numbers as in past seasons, those guys would have been called up anyways and the replacements needed at the AHL level would have to be acquired from the ECHL, Europe, or wherever again just like always. It may look like a big outlay of monies to carry the black aces, but they would have been carried on the Comets roster anyways, so it would only be the minor minor leaguers accounting for a little extra cash outlay.

Hey, I'm just looking for a way to keep this and a few other AHL franchises in business for a single season. If the vaccines are successful, the 21-22 seasons will be full go anyways.

I don't have anything to do besides think up **** like this (LOL), but it COULD work on both ends.

** UFA Graovac has now re-signed with Vancouver. You can go up to the first paragraph and add him into the Vancouver contracts for this season. Put him in after MacEwen.

*** RFA Justin Bailey has now signed and he can be placed in the first paragraph above after Graovac.

Marc Michaelis is currently on loan to Adler Mannheim of the DEL (Germany).
Lukas Jasek is currently on loan to HC Ocelari Trinec in the Czech League.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
However this all breaks down, I have faith that we haven't seen out last AHL game in Utica....just too many passionate and loyal fans in the Mohawk Valley. With the vaccine roll-out, fingers crossed that by next fall the border is open and AHL hockey is back with no restrictions.

Still on my bucket list of things to do before I leave this earth--flying to Hamilton and driving down to Utica to catch a game at the Aud, or whatever they call the rink now.

As a regular attendee in Abbotsford when the Comets and the Heat played games, I can say that AHL hockey is dramatically underrated for speed and entertainment. With a possible shout-out to the KHL, it might be the second-best pro hockey league in the world.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Hey Comets fans, the Canucks have signed RFA Chatfield to a 1-yr, 2-way contract. That only leaves Justin Bailey unsigned. All of last season's Comets are either under Vancouver contracts for this season (Jasek, Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Baertschi, Juolevi, Rafferty, Chatfield, Sautner, Brisebois, Eliot, Teves, DiPietro, McIntyre), left for greener pastures (Boucher, Goldobin, Camper, LeBlanc, Stevenson), are signed to AHL contracts (Bancks, Hamilton), or still remain free agents (Perron, Graovac, Arseneau, Blujus, Pope, Stevens). You can add newcomers signed by Vancouver as well (Lockwood, Michaelis, Woo).

Another likely to end up in the AHL is Jayce is Hawryluk, a newly acquired forward, 4-yr pro with 148 AHL GP, 68 NHL GP (42 played in 2018-19). I say this because the Canucks list 15 forwards counting Ferland, MacEwen, and Baertschi. Ferland could end up LTIR, but as of now he has stated he intends to play. It has appeared after last season that Baertschi has no chance to play in Vancouver, but he is still signed, which implies either here or Vancouver. Out of this mix I would bet it ends up either Mac or Hawryluk in Vancouver and the other 2 would be Comets. It will be either 13 forwards and 8 D or 14 forwards and 7 D on the Vancouver roster. Either way means someone of quality to Utica in the form of at least 1 forward or 2 D-men.

Some of the Vancouver contracts could end up Canucks out of camp. Best bets would be MacEwen, Juolevi, and/or Rafferty. I don't believe Benning is finished bringing in new blood. Expect an NHL level D-man will be added before the season starts. The newbie plus Hughes, Edler, Myers, Schmidt, and Benn makes 6. They could carry 7 or 8. Juolevi, Rafferty, and Rathbone would be the top choices to pick from.

Methinks the 2-way for Chatfield signals he will not make the big club and will be assigned to the Comets once again.

BIG-G-G-G PROBLEM? If the NHL goes with an all Canada Division, the U.S. farms of those NHL teams in Canada will not play in the U.S. The Canada/US border remains closed making it impossible to send players on those teams up and down. Even if they did allow it for the NHL and its farms, a quarantine would be required for every player going up or down. Calling a guy up because of need would be impossible under that condition.

This means even if the AHL does get the okay to play, the Comets would have to be moved to Canada for the season.

There is one other possibility. I don't see it happening, but if the NHL were to agree, the NHL teams with this dilemma could break training camp with a surplus number of non-NHL roster contracts. The players ordinarily assigned to the AHL until needed and then called up would stay in Vancouver and practice separately from the NHL team. They would be paid the AHL salary dictated by their 2-way contracts. On paper they don't exist. If a callup is necessary, they get brought on board on the NHL half of the 2-way. They would never be assigned to the AHL, just call it laid off like regular workers do until the company has a need to call them back to work. Their AHL salaries would be like unemployment insurance.

The Utica Comets would consist of Vancouver signed players that would not be eligible to play in the NHL during this season unless the rules of both countries regarding the pandemic were changed. Thus, the Comets would still be used to develop players and the remainder of their roster would be filled out with free agents the same as always. It would make for a weaker team than their opponents whose NHL teams are located in the U.S., but the franchise would still be afloat. Aquaman would have to be on the hook for a little extra money, but if all the players in Utica were on NHL ELCs, minimum AHL salaries, and larger contracts for a few AHL level free agents, it wouldn't be a whole lot different. The extra layout would be for the 7 or so guys practicing in Vancouver like a black aces contingent. However, if the the Canucks and the Comets were to incur the same kind of injury numbers as in past seasons, those guys would have been called up anyways and the replacements needed at the AHL level would have to be acquired from the ECHL, Europe, or wherever again just like always. It may look like a big outlay of monies to carry the black aces, but they would have been carried on the Comets roster anyways, so it would only be the minor minor leaguers accounting for a little extra cash outlay.

Hey, I'm just looking for a way to keep this and a few other AHL franchises in business for a single season. If the vaccines are successful, the 21-22 seasons will be full go anyways.

I don't have anything to do besides think up **** like this (LOL), but it COULD work on both ends.

1. My expectation is (and has been for some time) that the lack of AHL players signed which you note means the Canucks don't expect the Comets to actually be playing games this season, neither in Utica nor in the Canada someplace. If it turns out they do, then someone will scramble to fill out a roster.

2. I think the situation with the excess players on NHL contracts will be similar to what you describe as the "one other possibility."

I think the NHL may actually allow teams to assign players to the AHL even if no games are being played there. That gets them off the NHL roster of 23 players. As you say they get their AHL salaries even though they aren't playing. Even though assigned to the AHL, the extra players can stay in Canada and practice with the other spare players in case of a callup, perhaps with players who are already signed for this season on AHL contracts to increase the numbers. Essentially, it would be the Comets practising somewhere in Canada, though with a small roster, even if they have no intention of playing.

That wouldn't seem to be good for the development of young players who don't make the Canucks this season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
1. My expectation is (and has been for some time) that the lack of AHL players signed which you note means the Canucks don't expect the Comets to actually be playing games this season, neither in Utica nor in the Canada someplace. If it turns out they do, then someone will scramble to fill out a roster.

2. I think the situation with the excess players on NHL contracts will be similar to what you describe as the "one other possibility."

I think the NHL may actually allow teams to assign players to the AHL even if no games are being played there. That gets them off the NHL roster of 23 players. As you say they get their AHL salaries even though they aren't playing. Even though assigned to the AHL, the extra players can stay in Canada and practice with the other spare players in case of a callup, perhaps with players who are already signed for this season on AHL contracts to increase the numbers. Essentially, it would be the Comets practising somewhere in Canada, though with a small roster, even if they have no intention of playing.

That wouldn't seem to be good for the development of young players who don't make the Canucks this season.

"That wouldn't seem to be good for the development of young players who don't make the Canucks this season."

Which is why I suggested they enter a team in the AHL with those prospects they need to develop combined with some AHL contracts. If the AHL operates it would be in the best interest of the Canucks to have those prospects playing competitive hockey at a level that allows them to grow their games. Otherwise you might just right those players off as future NHLers.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They did just sign Graovac again, so they must have some plans in place. If you're an optimist, they might have been waiting for more details about the NHL season to emerge because any AHL season is likely heavily tied to what the NHL does. A pessimist might claim they're doing the same thing they do every season in ignoring the AHL until the last second. I suppose we'll see shortly if/when any more signings or news comes down the pipeline.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Has anything truly concrete been said about how NHL teams will interact with AHL affiliates or how the AHL will be managed during the following season? In the absence of absolutely massive NHL rosters and taxi squads, the AHL or some facsimile of it has to keep playing. Even with taxi squads, for that matter. You can't call up guys who have just been practicing and working out for 8-10 weeks. Maybe AHL rosters will play in their affiliate team's practice facilities? That would at least solve the problem of border closures.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Still on my bucket list of things to do before I leave this earth--flying to Hamilton and driving down to Utica to catch a game at the Aud, or whatever they call the rink now.
I am very curious about this flight path. :laugh: You'd be better off flying to Ottawa (or really Kingston) if you needed a domestic flight, but either way there's an airport in Syracuse.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I am very curious about this flight path. :laugh: You'd be better off flying to Ottawa (or really Kingston) if you needed a domestic flight, but either way there's an airport in Syracuse.

Right you are about Syracuse. It's also the closest to Utica out of the cities mentioned, just 55 miles. As soon as you leave the airport parking lot find the sign for the New York State Thruway.

Take the NY State Thruway from Syracuse to

Utica exit #31.

Pass through the exit and follow the signs to North Genesee Street

Follow N. Genesee Street to Lee Street (N. Genesee Street and Lee street will run side by side as you pass through a stop light and head up an incline to an overpass. Lee is to the right and Genesee will take 2 lanes and go straight over the bridge. You want to stay to the right. That's Lee.

Take Lee to Whitesboro Street.

Turn right onto Whitesboro Street.

The Aud (Adirondack Bank Center) is just up the street on your left with the parking lot across from it on your right. It's bat shit simple to find.

You can Google the map (Hancock International Airport, Syracuse NY to Adirondack Bank Center, Utica NY). It will take you the same way, but detail directions to the Thruway coming out of Hancock.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Has anything truly concrete been said about how NHL teams will interact with AHL affiliates or how the AHL will be managed during the following season? In the absence of absolutely massive NHL rosters and taxi squads, the AHL or some facsimile of it has to keep playing. Even with taxi squads, for that matter. You can't call up guys who have just been practicing and working out for 8-10 weeks. Maybe AHL rosters will play in their affiliate team's practice facilities? That would at least solve the problem of border closures.
Does a taxi squad have cap considerations? Like only guys on 2 way deals if you are up against the salary cap? But if you have room like Detroit your taxi squad can include one way contracts?

still surprised the pacific Canadian teams are not bringing their A clubs up north this season. Either play out of pacific coliseum if they play on the same night or they can play earlier in the day at Rogers if games are on the same night and with more back to backs in the same arena that is likely the case.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Does a taxi squad have cap considerations? Like only guys on 2 way deals if you are up against the salary cap? But if you have room like Detroit your taxi squad can include one way contracts?

still surprised the pacific Canadian teams are not bringing their A clubs up north this season. Either play out of pacific coliseum if they play on the same night or they can play earlier in the day at Rogers if games are on the same night and with more back to backs in the same arena that is likely the case.
Everything I said was hypothetical, but no, in that case there wouldn't be cap implications since the whole idea would be to create a situation where minor league players and potential call-ups have a place to play and practice.

Apparently the AHL is nominally still scheduled to begin play in early February. Unless athletes are given an exemption from quarantine, something has to give here. Maybe the best option is to divide the AHL into Canadian and American teams and have the Comets play in southern Ontario, with all teams having their own taxi squad of ECHL players.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Have updated the possibilities for the Comets should a team be assembled this season. It's post #835 above.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The AHL board of governors agreed today to a framework for starting the season on Feb 5 with the expectations that all 31 teams may not play this season. It looks like any team that opts out will need to notify the league by Jan 4. The article below includes updates from Rob Esche and Howard Dolgon the owner of the nearby Syracuse Crunch. Esche indicated that the Comets may have a dual affiliation this season by taking in players from an NHL team that decides to not run their own AHL team. Makes sense for a cost sharing prospective.

American Hockey League still targeting Feb. 5 for start of 2021 season

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!.... a dual NHL affiliation for some AHL teams.....if it happens in Utica, would there be enough room for everybody?

But great news that the AHL is going to give it a go in 2021.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Wow!.... a dual NHL affiliation for some AHL teams.....if it happens in Utica, would there be enough room for everybody?

But great news that the AHL is going to give it a go in 2021.
I think with NHL teams having up to 6 players on taxi squads dual affiliations can work. Remember Vancouver hasn't signed a single player to an AHL contract to play in Utica this year. If you take 6 players on NHL contracts that would normally be in Utica and keep them on a taxi squad there would be a need for probably close to 10 players signed to AHL contracts to fill the Comets roster. Having two NHL teams supply the Comets with NHL contracted players the need for both NHL teams to sign AHL contracted players goes away. The real losers here the career AHL players who won't be able to find jobs this season and may be forced to give up their dreams and retire to find jobs outside of hockey.

Reactions: lindgren

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think with NHL teams having up to 6 players on taxi squads dual affiliations can work. Remember Vancouver hasn't signed a single player to an AHL contract to play in Utica this year. If you take 6 players on NHL contracts that would normally be in Utica and keep them on a taxi squad there would be a need for probably close to 10 players signed to AHL contracts to fill the Comets roster. Having two NHL teams supply the Comets with NHL contracted players the need for both NHL teams to sign AHL contracted players goes away. The real losers here the career AHL players who won't be able to find jobs this season and may be forced to give up their dreams and retire to find jobs outside of hockey.

Vancouver posters are talking about the Canucks going with a 20-man roster with a 6-man taxi squad. It's not exactly clear at the moment if this would be allowed. It would let cap strapped teams take advantage of the new rule. Let's explore that possibility.

The Canucks have 24 forwards and 13 D-men on their camp roster. They would take 12 forwards, 6 D-men, and 2 goalies for the 20-man roster.

Of the 24 forwards, 15 are listed on their current roster. Their best 12 man roster leaves 3 of those guy off to begin with:

J.T. Miller - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser
Tanner Pearson - Bo Horvat - Jake Virtanen
Antoine Roussel - Adam Gaudette - Brandon Sutter (Gaudette and Sutter can be switched)
Tyler Motte - Jay Beagle - Loui Erikss0n

Zack MacEwen, Sven Baertschi, and Michael Ferland are the last 3 on the roster. Many have already placed MacEwen on the 4th line in place of Eriksson.
Many have shipped Baertschi to the AHL already.
Many believe Ferland will be placed on LTIR after he fails to be ready in camp.

Regardless of how it all works out Eriksson and MacEwen will be part of the final 18 counting the Taxi squad. That leaves 5 forwards to be placed there. I would think that Vancouver wants their best prospects to be playing every day so that will figure into who they keep that isn't playing.

Taxi Squad:
1. MacEwen/Eriksson - 1 is on the 12 man list and the other finds himself on the Taxi Squad.

2. Sven Baertschi - If this guy insists on collecting his last year's salary, this is the place to do it. He saves them little money by going to the AHL, isn't a developing forward, and has shown he can play at this level when healthy.

3. Tyler Graovac - He is no longer a prospect at 27 and has played at the NHL level and his contract is cheap.

4. Justin Bailey - At 25 he has become a tweener. He is another cheap contract is likely the 1st Comet to be recalled based on signed players. Therefore he stays in Vancouver.

5. Jayce Hawryluk - He was acquired during the off-season. I highly doubt he was brought on to be a Comet. It's very possible he is the winger we are talking about Eriksson and MacEwen fighting to become. He has spent the better part of his last 2 seasons in the NHL. He is still what you'd call a prospect or at least a tweener. There are no more Comets that fit the tweener model nor a guy banging on the NHL door.

6. Nils Hoglander will supposedly be in camp. I think he should get a quick trial up front with the Canucks. He is a LW and that would mean displacing on of the 3 beneath Miller and the fan posting seems to favor Roussel as the one to sit. That will all depend upon how much Pearson's injury recovery has effected his skating.
Personally, I think the kid would be a better fit getting maximum ice time in the AHL, but like others before him, Benning has given him the out card to return to Sweden if he doesn't make the team. I could see them keeping him and end up placing him on the Taxi Squad. DUMB. The kid need to play every day with maximum ice time. He doesn't get maximum ice time in Sweden either. He would in Utica. That could be an order given to Cull as he has seemed to have received with a few other players.

The D works out to be:

Alex Edler - Tyler Myers
Quinn Hughes - Nate Schmidt
Olli Juolevi - Jordie Benn

3 others appear to be in the "considered" group. They are Jack Rathbone (LD), Jalen Chatfield (RD), and Brogan Rafferty (RD).

No matter who gets the bottom 6 assignment, at least 2 more will have to land on the Taxi Squad. That depends upon how they want to structure the forward/D-man reserve numbers and how well the question marks perform in camp. Personally I see that bottom 4 as a grab bag. Aside from Benn, with whom they know what they've got, you have a rookie pro in Rathbone, 2 guys who have struggled to play D at the AHL level, but both have special skills that make them look promising (Juolevi is a very good passer,but need time and space to prove it and Rafferty is a puck rushing D-man who can spur offensive play once you get him out of his own end), and another untried at the NHL level in Chatfield that Benning has been touting for some time now. He's a hard worker in his own end, but is often puck chasing and on the other end of the ice is where offense goes to die.

Rathbone has no business on a taxi squad. It's going to be a short season anyways. Let him play 1st pairing with the Comets, QB the PP, and kill penalties. Find out what he can and can't actually be considered for in Vancouver. If he kills it down here and the others just suck, you have your answer. Call him up, quarantine him, and add him to the Canucks roster. It would probably be approaching playoff time by then anyways.

You still have Sautner, Brisebois, Eliot, Teves, and Woo already signed and they become the Comets core group which will have to be added to in any case. If the Canucks are allowed to burn cap space on the taxi squad and Ferland goes LTIR, Benning will add another proven D-man to the bottom 6 and one of those question mark D-men will be in Utica.

As to the goalies that's a real good question.

DiPietro
Kielly
Silovs
are listed as the non roster Vancouver keepers.

There will have to be an extra goalie on the Taxi Squad who won't count against the numbers.
DiPietro is by far the best keeper of the trio, but is a 2nd year pro who can't afford to burn a season of development sitting in Vancouver. He belongs in the AHL playing as many games as possible.

Kielly might be an adequate backup to Mikey, but that would leave Silovs as the emergency backup in Vancouver. Thus, Silovs as a rookie in Utica is better than an emergency standby in Vancouver as far as the Canucks are concerned.

Actually I don't think Vancouver would be pleased with either Kielly or Silovs in the standby spot on the Taxi Squad. Have to think the Canucks will look for a better choice on a cheap contract.

The Comets roster will definitely have:

Kole Lind
Jonah Gadjovich
Will Lockwood
Lukas Jasek

and that's it up front. They will be joined by whomever fails to remain on the Vancouver Taxi Squad. A couple of Baertschi, Hoglander, Hawryluk, Graovac, Bailey. I've already listed the D that will likely be here.

This is all based upon the NHL allowing the 20 man rosters and then using the extra money they can utilize, if there in fact is even any extra money, to actually improve their rosters. If they have to set up a normal 23-man roster, then the they have built in replacements in addition to the 4-6 man Taxi Squads which would eat up more players from those I have detailed above.

It's obvious that even though they don't have any AHL contracts signed, the Comets will not have a complete roster nor any extras to draw from to support injury losses. The AHL has no roster limits so AHL teams are going to have to carry more players than usual since the ECHL is not going to be available to them.

I believe Bancks and Hamilton are still on active AHL contracts. Johnson better get on the stick and find some others. I am sure the rest of the AHL is scrambling to pick up a few of these guys to fill out their rosters as well. There are also a bunch of undrafted, unsigned newbies floating around out there as well. It's not going to be your normal AHL by any means.

Lastly, Esche stating the Comets are open to adding prospects form other teams that will not ice a team this season. Binghamton is already on the verge of not icing a team. That would leave New Jersey without a farm team. Utica would be a perfect place to locate them for a season. Maybe they have a good goalie prospect to share time with Mikey. ho knows what other NHL franchise will need to find a spot to place some prospects. The Comets will have room and there will be NHL teams that need to place prospects so they don't lose a season of development.

There needs to be some serious scrambling if the Comets hope to ice a competitive team. Not bothering to complete a roster to the best of their ability could leave the Vancouver prospects in a situation where they digress rather than move forward.

I'll leave it at that for now. I'd like to hear from anyone who wishes to amend or add to this discussion.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess if you're looking for a 'positive' in this truncated AHL season, it's pretty obvious that the players to assigned to Utica to start the year will probably stay there for the entire season.

Calling up players from the Comets was never easy to begin with.....now that players are required to quarantine for 14 days after crossing the border, it would virtually make no sense to call somebody up unless you were really desperate. In the event of injuries, players will just rotate into the Canucks lineup from the taxi squad.

So that should give Trent Cull and the Utica coaches a chance to build some stable lines and hopefully avoid the carousel of lineup changes and ECHL call-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad