OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I only cooked a small piece of Wagyu that wasn't worth sharing photos of but this is what it came as:

ljibZMf.jpg

wqcceqs.jpg

UApwDV8.jpg
Oh my. That’s marbling like I’ve never seen. Do you grill it? How do you deal with the flare ups?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Steak, mushrooms, onions, steamed green beans, fresh batard, baked potato, sower cream, A1 sauce (I like it) for dinner. My f***ing wife only lets me eat red meat once a month. All in on these days lmfao!

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Oh my. That’s marbling like I’ve never seen. Do you grill it? How do you deal with the flare ups?

You can grill it, but control is better in a cast iron skillet. It's important to bring to room temperature and season with salt and pepper. You lightly grease the pan with some of the outer fat and sear it really hot for a minute or 2 depending on the thickness. I'd remove it to rest after the internal temperature is just under 120°F. It's often served with soy and wasabi, but that somewhat diminishes the pure flavour of the beef.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It's probably a breech to call it Wagyu. You're right, it's also terribly misleading.

Here in the US they can call stuff anything, for instance I went buying some fish for dinner (pacific cod) and I saw something called "Dover Sole Fillet" so I told the guy in the fish department that they were not dover soles, they were not even soles since they have a different shape than flounders, they are extremely expensive and they are atlantic fish not pacific so they just called some sort of pacific flounder for dover sole! I have also seen sea trout which is a sea going brown trout that looks very similar to atlantic salmon but these were some type of croaker species or the toothfish which is sold as Chilean Seabass although they are actually a type of cod and I assume they didn't think people would buy something called toothfish so they gave it a fancy name.

Reactions: groovejuice

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Is there a tipping point where too much marbling is just too much? There looks to be more fat on those steaks then there is meat.

I wonder how much meat you're left with once you've cooked it.

It's different. It doesn't drop down dramatically honestly. Unless you're aiming for some ridiculous overcooked amount it honestly shrinks but a lot of steaks do.

I've made burgers by hand that shrink on the grill too, this shrank less.

I did not grill it, cast iron.

At 30 bucks a pound, that's 170$ worth of fat. :laugh::sarcasm:

30$/lb is a great price.

You can grill it, but control is better in a cast iron skillet. It's important to bring to room temperature and season with salt and pepper. You lightly grease the pan with some of the outer fat and sear it really hot for a minute or 2 depending on the thickness. I'd remove it to rest after the internal temperature is just under 120°F. It's often served with soy and wasabi, but that somewhat diminishes the pure flavour of the beef.

I tested half a steak when I got it. Sliced it and heated up cast iron pan. Put a drop of oil to coat the pan and put some of the excess fat and watched it render down before dropping the slices that had salt and pepper.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Made a traditional Swedish dish called pannbiff med lök= pan beef with caramelized onions, basically large flattened Swedish meatballs. After reading about Vejdemo I got a little bit homesick and I had some frozen angus ground beef . Caramelizing the onions in the meat juices and some Irish butter, finally a little bit of extra heavy (36% fat) whipping cream with lingonberries of course.
Pannbiff1.jpg

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Here in the US they can call stuff anything, for instance I went buying some fish for dinner (pacific cod) and I saw something called "Dover Sole Fillet" so I told the guy in the fish department that they were not dover soles, they were not even soles since they have a different shape than flounders, they are extremely expensive and they are atlantic fish not pacific so they just called some sort of pacific flounder for dover sole! I have also seen sea trout which is a sea going brown trout that looks very similar to atlantic salmon but these were some type of croaker species or the toothfish which is sold as Chilean Seabass although they are actually a type of cod and I assume they didn't think people would buy something called toothfish so they gave it a fancy name.

The whole fishing industry is sketchy to be honest. You think you are paying for one fish but you are getting another fish. The average person can't tell them apart.

I know a lot of places, especially Sushi places that say they have Yellowfin, ot's likely not Yellowfin since that species of tuna is expensive.

Your toothfish comment reminds me of Mahi Mahi. It's really called Dolphinfish but since people would associate the fish with actual Dolphins they changed the name. "The fish so nice they named it twice"

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The whole fishing industry is sketchy to be honest. You think you are paying for one fish but you are getting another fish. The average person can't tell them apart.

I know a lot of places, especially Sushi places that say they have Yellowfin, ot's likely not Yellowfin since that species of tuna is expensive.

Your toothfish comment reminds me of Mahi Mahi. It's really called Dolphinfish but since people would associate the fish with actual Dolphins they changed the name. "The fish so nice they named it twice"

I went on a solo trip to Hawaii in the late 70s. I was appalled when I saw everyone was happily eating dolphin! I asked a server in the restaurant how the hell they were getting away with that and he laughed and explained much as you just did. It clearly wasn't the first time he'd been challenged about that. :laugh:

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Food, Drink and ... Marijuana Consumption?

What happens to those who won't avail themselves of legalized marijuana on October 17th but who invest or work in the industry? This could happen to them: Canadians who smoke marijuana legally, or work or invest in the industry, will be barred from the U.S.: Customs and Border Protection official | The Star

If you're planning to take on a fully legitimate office job in the industry, then you can't afford to be an employee. Best to be an independent contractor.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Dropped 200 bucks on a Miyazaki Waygu steak this summer while on vacation in San Francisco. It was good, I'm glad I experienced it but to be honest, I'd prefer standard filet mignon.

As a big time filet mignon fan the wagyu is better.

I’d love to get wagyu filet mignon though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Had a camping trip planned this weekend. Even took a few days off to make it happen.

Guess what? I got a Salmonella poisoning instead. Some vegetables at the grocery store were supposedly cross-contaminated with the virus. Extremely discomforting and, more-so, upsetting. As a vegan it was the last thing I expected. The symptoms are very rough too. Had to make a hospital trip this morning to get antibiotics and an IV.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had a camping trip planned this weekend. Even took a few days off to make it happen.

Guess what? I got a Salmonella poisoning instead. Some vegetables at the grocery store were supposedly cross-contaminated with the virus. Extremely discomforting and, more-so, upsetting. As a vegan it was the last thing I expected. The symptoms are very rough too. Had to make a hospital trip this morning to get antibiotics and an IV.

So sorry to hear that. I hope you get better soon.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Sorry to hear that. It's not uncommon for vegetables to be contaminated with salmonella especially if the watershed is shared with the raising of food animals.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Sorry to hear that. It's not uncommon for vegetables to be contaminated with salmonella especially if the watershed is shared with the raising of food animals.
Not sure how common the virus is, but, trust me, I've never experienced anything alike. This is your common food poisoning times a hundred with all of its "perks".

High body fever coupled with explosive vomiting and diarrhea. I can't even hold water in atm.

Once your stomach is empty you still experience dry heaves that are extremely painful.

Reactions: PhysicX

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not sure how common the virus is, but, trust me, I've never experienced anything alike. This is your common food poisoning times a hundred with all of its "perks".

High body fever coupled with explosive vomiting and diarrhea. I can't even hold water in atm.

Once your stomach is empty you still experience dry heaves that are extremely painful.

Fortunately, I've never experienced it myself, but my father did when I was a young boy. What I recall is that he had to collect stool samples every few days to be tested. I sympathize with your plight.

Feel better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia