OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
People are such interesting creatures: some can feel energized by certain diets, while others feel groggy and tired. What I don't like about nutrition science is that studies are run based on averages and statistical precision. These get reported and understood as ''diet x is better for your health than diet y.'' When in reality, in any large study, I guarantee you there were several jabroni in group y who were responding extremely well to diet y, and may not even respond well at all to diet x. But the findings will tell them to follow diet x. I think it would be interesting to do a study where you then took the best and worse responders from each diet, and had them switch to the other diet to see what would happen. Then, perhaps using genetic analysis, try to cluster the responders to each diet.

We could then say ''if you're in this category, you might respond really well to this diet.'' But as of right now the situation is that you might switch to a vegetarian or vegan diet and experience what you've experienced: energy, pep, better blood work, and health. Or you could experience what I did: hunger, lower energy, irritability, poor skin, and lower sex drive.

Just to take an anecdotal example, though I am not a lobster-person, I was listening to Jordan Peterson talk about his diet which is: beef, salt, and various kinds of water. He's lost 50 pounds and said he's never felt better. He was convinced to try it by his daughter who had debilitating arthritis and depression which suspiciously left when she switched to the carnivore diet. Now, this is not just anecdotal, it's also hearsay, but it's also extremely interesting. Maybe some people are just plant eaters, and some others are just carnivores.

It's nice to hear that you're having such wonderful results with veganism, though.

Yes, Nutrition is very individual. Problem is the nutrition business aspect is filled with different lobbies with different agendas. So you have a lot of bad info out there.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
All this meat talk...
I'm taking my girlfriend to a michelin starred meat place here in hong kong called beefbar.
Gonna hit the tasting menu, looks quite tasty.
American Prime Black Angus tartare...Australian M5 Black angus short rib tataki...Japanese A5 Hyogo tajima kobe...Korean 1++ Short horn Hanwoo striploin..
Salivating at the thought already..

Let us know how it is. Pictures are always nice.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Exactly. You can't call a wine champagne because it was made from grapes and has bubbles.

'Kobe Classic' or Wagyu Canada Inc. is the name/brand of the company. It's a sleek way of tricking people.

ABOUT WAGYU CANADA Inc

Wagyu Canada Inc. offers the highest quality North American Wagyu and Kobe Classic Beef. Based in Alberta, Canada, we have established ourselves as leaders in the Wagyu beef market, supplying our homegrown beef products to restaurants and specialized retail outlets since 1992.

ABOUT KOBE CLASSIC BEEF

We produce the world’s most exquisite and tantalizing beef products ever produced. Unlike other beef producers, the product we sell originates from Japanese Wagyu sires and predominantly Angus cross females to create a high quality marbled beef product. Comparing our product to regular beef is like comparing beluga caviar to cheese spread – the taste and quality is simply unmatched!

I have no idea how they can be leaders in the Wagyu market when they aren't even Wagyu. It's a cross breed.

The meat is still good though but having Kobe or Wagyu in the names is very misleading.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
'Kobe Classic' or Wagyu Canada Inc. is the name/brand of the company. It's a sleek way of tricking people.

I have no idea how they can be leaders in the Wagyu market when they aren't even Wagyu. It's a cross breed.

The meat is still good though but having Kobe or Wagyu in the names is very misleading.

It's probably a breech to call it Wagyu. You're right, it's also terribly misleading.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

It's probably like how almost all fish is tilapia nowadays.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I only cooked a small piece of Wagyu that wasn't worth sharing photos of but this is what it came as:

ljibZMf.jpg

wqcceqs.jpg

UApwDV8.jpg

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Exactly. You can't call a wine champagne because it was made from grapes and has bubbles.

Can’t anyway because the champagne region in France has that tied up as is Parmesan etc, all registered. I had a very nice Cristal champagne (sells at £5k a bottle) but so what all you do is pee it out, don’t understand the really expensive wine market

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Can’t anyway because the champagne region in France has that tied up as is Parmesan etc, all registered. I had a very nice Cristal champagne (sells at £5k a bottle) but so what all you do is pee it out, don’t understand the really expensive wine market

Well, any food you buy you shit out. Any drink you buy you pee out. Any trip you have is temporary, etc...

You do what you like. I'm no wine fan though. I don't like the taste and every time I had it for sake of having it with friends it killed my buzz.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
On the opposite end of the spectrum from Wagyu, I have developed an appreciation for the ''bullet steak.'' This is a center cut flank steak, but it's cut to be grilled. It's extremely lean, but still quite tender. It's like filet mignon with more chew and flavour, but a quarter the price.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I only cooked a small piece of Wagyu that wasn't worth sharing photos of but this is what it came as:

ljibZMf.jpg

wqcceqs.jpg

UApwDV8.jpg

Is there a tipping point where too much marbling is just too much? There looks to be more fat on those steaks then there is meat.

I wonder how much meat you're left with once you've cooked it.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
In my opinion, there can never be enough marbling. You'd definitely have to properly render it down though, or else it's pretty much money wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad