OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm having this persistent thought of radicalizing against animal protein consumption given my misfortune. It is not right that I have to suffer from the shallow underbelly of the industry. I won't stand for that any longer. If you, as a human being, can't at least bother to question the sourcing of the food you consume you can take a a hike as far as I'm concerned.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm having this persistent thought of radicalizing against animal protein consumption given my misfortune. It is not right that I have to suffer from the shallow underbelly of the industry. I won't stand for that any longer. If you, as a human being, can't at least bother to question the sourcing of the food you consume you can take a a hike as far as I'm concerned.

Considering so much of our food is imported, that would be very difficult indeed. The US has never had the most stringent regulations, but under the current administration, if a lobby group paid sufficiently, they'd have no regulations whatsoever. I'd be surprised if Mexico is terribly interested in reducing herbicide and pesticide use, never mind water quality. Grow your own, raise chickens and hunt for larger game.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Nah, right now I'm gunning more for blanket coverage. Precision is not my strongest point atm. :laugh:

Here's hoping you'll get better soon!
download.jpeg

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

You dont have to radicalize against human protein. You just have to buy quality.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had a camping trip planned this weekend. Even took a few days off to make it happen.

Guess what? I got a Salmonella poisoning instead. Some vegetables at the grocery store were supposedly cross-contaminated with the virus. Extremely discomforting and, more-so, upsetting. As a vegan it was the last thing I expected. The symptoms are very rough too. Had to make a hospital trip this morning to get antibiotics and an IV.

Fair to say there is nothing you could have done to prevent or limit the outcome? What I mean is, I've been told by some people how they wash their vegetables with some kind of soap made for fruits and vegetables. Do I understand that even if you would have washed the vegetables with this special soap, it wouldn't have changed anything? Basically, once vegetables are contaminated with Salmonella, are they unsalvageable?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Fair to say there is nothing you could have done to prevent or limit the outcome? What I mean is, I've been told by some people how they wash their vegetables with some kind of soap made for fruits and vegetables. Do I understand that even if you would have washed the vegetables with this special soap, it wouldn't have changed anything? Basically, once vegetables are contaminated with Salmonella, are they unsalvageable?
They are, unless they're over-cooked.

I could have made sure the farm that produces the veg didn't use the same source of water for both the produce and the caged birds. I could've avoided it by cooking the vegetables thoroughly, but what's the point of mushy broccoli and cauliflower?

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
You dont have to radicalize against human protein. You just have to buy quality.
"Human protein" aside, I don't think we have any real way of knowing what "quality" is. That is the point I referenced before. Look at the packaging our processed or semi-processed food features. Any real information on its origin and processes in place? No, there is not.

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Dropped 200 bucks on a Miyazaki Waygu steak this summer while on vacation in San Francisco. It was good, I'm glad I experienced it but to be honest, I'd prefer standard filet mignon.
While I respect your opinion, it is clearly in the vast minority.

Filet mignon is one of the worst cuts of beef, flavor considering. Yes, the muscle isn't worked much so it's extremely tender, but it carries little beef flavor.

If you simply desire tenderness in your proteins, just go with something like Ahi instead.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They are, unless they're over-cooked.

I could have made sure the farm that produces the veg didn't use the same source of water for both the produce and the caged birds. I could've avoided it by cooking the vegetables thoroughly, but what's the point of mushy broccoli and cauliflower?

Good to know. Then it's pure bad luck. If I were certain that the source of this is imputable to one particular store or retailer, I'd blacklist them and find a replacement pronto.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Filet mignon is one of the worst cuts of beef, flavor considering. Yes, the muscle isn't worked much so it's extremely tender, but it carries little beef flavor.

If you simply desire tenderness in your proteins, just go with something like Ahi instead.

Funny enough I adore filet mignon but most steakhouses(if not all) age it and usually serve it with bacon which adds flavor.

With respect to Wagyu, I'd love to get my hands on some A5 tenderloin. Would be pretty delicious and be best of both worlds.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

I had a skirt steak once in New York, one of the best steaks I have ever had. Tough, inexpensive cut, but when done right, the taste is phenomenal. Talk about beefy flavour.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Funny enough I adore filet mignon but most steakhouses(if not all) age it and usually serve it with bacon which adds flavor.

With respect to Wagyu, I'd love to get my hands on some A5 tenderloin. Would be pretty delicious and be best of both worlds.

They age it for a reason. I personally never liked cured beef because I felt it took away from its texture. It breaks down the beef's fibers and, while it accentuates its overall flavor, it also removes moisture. That's not a trade-off I used to be willing to make personally. If I ever saw a piece of steak served with a dollop of "herb butter" on it I asked for my meal to be replaced.

May I suggest you try a top "baseball" sirloin cut instead of the filet? Has to be rare though due to its thickness, but it is a nice compromise to the filet as it adds more flavor while also delivering tenderness.

I had a skirt steak once in New York, one of the best steaks I have ever had. Tough, inexpensive cut, but when done right, the taste is phenomenal. Talk about beefy flavour.
I agree. Cow's belly/rib "off-cuts" are the very best of the entire animal IMO. Those are the jewels no filet mignon can ever dream to compete with IMO.

They deliver by far the most flavor. With the skirt steak you also have the benfit of its large surface area. It takes to marinating very well, but the marinades (at least the reasonable ones) don't take it over. The skirt steak is a treat grilled rare and served with something like a fresh salsa verde (which can also be used as a marinade for it perfectly).

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
"Human protein" aside, I don't think we have any real way of knowing what "quality" is. That is the point I referenced before. Look at the packaging our processed or semi-processed food features. Any real information on its origin and processes in place? No, there is not.
Lol what a slip.

You can buy from a reputable butcher. Best way to have the best meat. Dont buy anything from supermarkets, its pretty simple, but even then, its hard to predict what is happening, I agree.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Lol what a slip.

You can buy from a reputable butcher. Best way to have the best meat. Dont buy anything from supermarkets, its pretty simple, but even then, its hard to predict what is happening, I agree.
You are certainly right, but accessibility still comes into question.

Rise of hands...how many of you personally know people that shop for their proteins exclusively at butcher/fishmonger stores?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'll preface this by saying I'm a little lazy so no point avoiding the fact there's easier ways.

I want to sign up for goodfood/hellofresh/chefsplate and I'm wondering if anyone here knows which one to avoid or which is best or if its all the same thing?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
If all youre looking for Id say you might want to take a look at meal companies. Are you around MTL?

Meal companies?

I am in Montreal. I find an irony in fact you asked me given on left it says I'm in montreal and for you it says 'citizen of the world'. C'mon Mrb1p:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->