OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
It’s pronounced Annick, a castle in Northumberland FYI. It’s also not Peterboro, but Peterburo. How can you get it so wrong? :nod::nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: groovejuice

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
You sure you want to do this with me all night? I have a lot of British unbelievable pronunciations.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Very funny, we taught you how to speak English and allowed the Québécois to speak French be grateful :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: for those not learned in sarcasm I am not being serious (although it’s true we did teach you English and allow you go speak French) this is all tongue in cheek I am not that arrogant or racist

Reactions: groovejuice

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Tea is an evening meal (if you’re from the north like I am, if you’re posh southern it’s supper or normal southern dinner), cuppa is a cup of tea, I’m not a Brit, I’m English, a Scot, Welsh or N.Irish would not be a Brit they are Scottish, Welsh or Irish just to teach you :laugh:

Thank you for this. 90 per cent of the time people say British they mean English. The term “British accents is particularly egregious.

Back on food, just get a lodge CI pan. No need to go crazy high end. I’ve had great success with knockoffs of Le Creuset enamel. It’s not exactly high tech stuff.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Very funny, we taught you how to speak English and allowed the Québécois to speak French be grateful :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: for those not learned in sarcasm I am not being serious (although it’s true we did teach you English and allow you go speak French) this is all tongue in cheek I am not that arrogant or racist

How far the magnanimous english have come since allowing us poor quebecois to speak our own language! Now they hardly let their own citizens speak at all :sarcasm:

Not being racist or arrogant just tongue in cheek lol.

Last edited:

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Thinking about this, although the British were very good at rampaging their way through the world back in the day and they did bring various foods back (eg curry, kedgeree, tea) did they actually leave any food and drink legacy? I’m not so sure they did, train systems we were good at leaving but food and drink I can’t think of any.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Thinking about this, although the British were very good at rampaging their way through the world back in the day and they did bring various foods back (eg curry, kedgeree, tea) did they actually leave any food and drink legacy? I’m not so sure they did, train systems we were good at leaving but food and drink I can’t think of any.
Dentistry wasn't a strong suit of the British either. Still isn't, from what I can tell.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

What's that line? 'The english have 60 religions and only one sauce'? English style fish and chips is likely in my death-row meal request list, but outside that, it sure is slim pickings.

Maybe it's understandable, given how much effort was expended teaching us how to speak english rather than developing any sort of food culture :sarcasm:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
What's that line? 'The english have 60 religions and only one sauce'? English style fish and chips is likely in my death-row meal request list, but outside that, it sure is slim pickings.

Maybe it's understandable, given how much effort was expended teaching us how to speak english rather than developing any sort of food culture :sarcasm:

The English were smart enough to adopt tea and cuisine from India as Holland took in Indonesian food.

Both their historic cuisines are pretty bad - average save the additions they borrowed from other cultures.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
It’s pronounced Annick, a castle in Northumberland FYI. It’s also not Peterboro, but Peterburo. How can you get it so wrong? :nod::nod::nod::nod:

Is this the same as Smithwicks?

000944225-1

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Definitely not Smith Wicks should be Smith icks :laugh: . I was in the Navy so I can handle you taking the piss out of me and I won’t take offence.

I think some of you took it too seriously with my colonials comments and about the French thing. I apologize to anyone who was offended. The British really shouldn’t be too proud over some of their history.Personally anyone who can speak more than one language has my admiration.

Disappointing that all the British has brought to the food party is fish and chips (which personally I would never eat)

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

While bread has been around for centuries, didn’t the “bread boom” really kick off from the British’s efficiencies and standards around production?

I don’t mind a sandwich now and then, but one of my cousins whose kid grew up in the UK really loves the stuff. Sandwiches, loaves, bread pudding, etc.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I make everything from scratch pretty much but IKEA meatballs are so good, I hang my head in shame:help:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If I got a soul vide it could keep my Instant Pot company in my laundry room.

Soul vide is the current state of mind for most Habs fans right now. Wandering aimlessly trying to find a reason to follow this team. There really isn't one, so it's an empty quest. We're lost souls. Or, with the Frenglish bent, "soul vide".

Brilliant typo.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Anyone hear use sous vide equipment? Was thinking of buying something on amazon tomorrow but undecided on which model is best.
Joules is nice, Anova is the top pick.

They work essentialy all the same, just have to choose wether you want to work with your phone/tablet or manual.

Make sure you buy two plastic inserts deep enough, about 10 liters, cambro makes a nice one that is insulated too, with the plastic cover. Its expensive but youll be using it all your life, plus its great to store sauces in the fridge.

Any restaurant retailer will have them in stock, but call before to know if they have the lid.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad