OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I bought a set of Cuisinart stainless steel cookware in the 200 bucks range 10 years ago and far from being the best, they're great. Easy to clean and nice enough to hang on the wall. I'm no master chef, but using nice appliances is a treat.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

2g26f9.jpg

Who wouldn't pay to watch that? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Le Creuset.. another snob. Sheesh

jk

Keith Law on how he buys for the kitchen and the skillets he favors:

I do have a few pricier toys in my kitchen, but aside from one, they’re all highly functional, at the middle to low end of the price range for their jobs, and built to last a long time. I’ve had my chef’s knife for over a decade, my food processor for 17 years (my next upgrade – looking at this Cuisinart model), my Dutch oven for about eight years, and just replaced my 18-year-old stand mixer when we moved in 2013. You are free to call me cheap, but I think I’m just prudent. I’ll spend money in the kitchen if it gets me something I need. I will not spend money to get a famous name, a fancy design, or a paperweight to live at the back of a gadget drawer until we move again. If I can make do with something I already have in the house – binder clips, a (clean) putty knife, a (clean) paintbrush – I’ll gladly do that instead. ...

What you really should get for your loved one (you may include yourself in that category) is a a 12″ Lodge cast-iron skillet, an absolute workhorse that can handle about 90% of what I need from a skillet or a saute pan. I still use a nonstick skillet for egg dishes, and a saucier (sadly one that’s no longer made) for sauces or custards, but the Lodge skillet is past a decade old and just keeps getting better. The work of seasoning them is nowhere near as arduous as you’ve heard.

I got a Lodge 10″ carbon steel skillet for Christmas in 2015, and I love it. It’s not as nonstick as the cast-iron one, which I’ve had for years and thus has built up more of a coating, but for getting a pan rocket-hot quickly and working fast on something small, it’s great. I’ve found that the more I use it, the more resistant the surface becomes to sticking – even eggs – and it is the ideal skillet for making the dramatic, puffy pancake known as a Dutch baby.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
That depends.

What colour of the Le Creuset do you have?
cast iron pan is blue -

"Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven. Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect."

:sarcasm:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Best pan I've ever owned is a 10in. well seasoned cast iron. It's a workhorse and releases eggs better than any of my non-stick pans. There nothing you can't cook in it. I never use soap in it, just warm water and a lightly abrasive pad. These things literally last a lifetime. You can't spend a better $70 (preseasoned price) for your kitchen.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Best pan I've ever owned is a 10in. well seasoned cast iron. It's a workhorse and releases eggs better than any of my non-stick pans. There nothing you can't cook in it. I never use soap in it, just warm water and a lightly abrasive pad. These things literally last a lifetime. You can't spend a better $70 (preseasoned price) for your kitchen.

Does the brand matter or are all cast iron pans created the same?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Does the brand matter or are all cast iron pans created the same?

The cheaper ones typically aren't machined to as smooth a surface as the better ones. Preseasoned ones are ready to go and don't require a week of do-it-yourself seasoning. A good one will also have a high quality hardwood handle, enabling much easier handling on the stove and in the oven.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

I have a 12 inch cast iron fry pan and the thing is great, love it.

My workhorse, given the 5 mouths I cook for, is my 14 inch All- Clad saute pan. Its brilliant. Heavy as heck though. It cost, even on sale, but well worth it.

Reactions: groovejuice

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Went to Park last night for my wedding anniversary and I'm already counting the days until I get to taste nigiris this good again. The price was insane though

Anybody have any suggestions of places with solid nigiris at a more reasonable cost? And by solid I mean having melt-in-your-mouth otoro and chutoro on the menu (not that fake tuna most places have)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad