Line Combos: The First Lineups Thread

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Remember that the Marcus Kruger thing from the expansion draft is still alive, which provides an additional center.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I think you guys will be impressed with Theodore. He was one of the Ducks top prospects and projects to be a Top 4 / 1st PP guy. He's definitely NHL ready and I think he's going to be a very good player. Needs to improve his defense, but he's got great offensive potential.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
- (these lines aren't set in stone, just showing which 13F I'd keep up with the big club)
Perron - Marchessault - Neal
Eakin - Shipachyov - Smith
Haula - Lindberg - Leipsic
Bellemare - Karlsson - Carrier
Nosek

I imagine JR is talking to GMGM if that's how Vegas see it. There are good 3C's there (a small handful) and we need one.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Perron - Marchessault - Neal
Eakin - Shipachyov - Smith
Haula - Lindberg - Leipsic
Bellemare - Karlsson - Carrier
Nosek

Schmidt - Garrison
Emelin - Miller
McNabb - Engelland
Reinhart, Merrill

This combination has potential.

You can play Haula in ANY spot, but he's been know to really deliver as a winger. Yes it's awkward to put the best FO% guy to wing, but he's a fast natural scorer and should be played as a winger imo. Lindberg is around the same age and has a similar way of thinking about the game defensively.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

You can play Haula in ANY spot, but he's been know to really deliver as a winger. Yes it's awkward to put the best FO% guy to wing, but he's a fast natural scorer and should be played as a winger imo. Lindberg is around the same age and has a similar way of thinking about the game defensively.

Yeah I don't think it matters if he plays wing. If he's the best faceoff man he can still take the important faceoffs at key moments in the game.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
How would you guys feel about Hartnell/Pouliot? Hartnell would make excellent captain material and could move someone like Eakin down a line.

We already have enough guys for now. Imagine we waive some and they won't get claimed. Someone has to pay them.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I disagree. He can play wing and be solid, but he was clearly by far and away at his best when he was playing center.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Neal - Shipachyov - Perron
Smith - Marchessault - Tuch
Haula - Lindberg - Pulkinnen**
Eakin - Karlsson - Bellemare
Carrier

Schmidt - Miller
Theodore - Reinhart
McNabb - Engelland
Garrison - Merrill

Fleury
Pickard

LTIR: Grabovski, Clarkson

AHL: Nosek, Leipsic, Duke, Stoner

Trade: Sbisa (doubtful Stoner, Garrison can be moved)

** Pulkkinen is in on the assumption that paired with two defensively responsible players with offensive abilities he may be able to produce with his abundance of skill.

The 4th line may not be the best checking line, but theres some skill to it. Id rather Carrier play then Bellemare but I figure realistically Bellemare will be in the lineup or theyd have picked someone else.

I think theres a need to sign an AHL goalie in case MAF gets hurt. Current option for callup is Ferguson or one of the others drafted this year. Maybe im way off on these assumptions top to bottom in the lineup though.

Be nice to see the 2017 draft picks get another year in junior. Also, Id be surprised is Hyka or Gusev come to Vegas this year.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'm not a Vegas fan, but I wanted to try and come up with a lineup. Hopefully you guys don't mind? :)

Perron - Shipachev - Marchessault
Neal - Karlsson - Smith
Haula - Krüger - Lindberg
Bellemare - Eakin - Carrier
Pulkkinen

Schmidt - Theodore
McNabb - Miller
Garrison - Engelland
Stoner - Sbisa

Fleury - Pickard

Nosek/Tuch/etc. to AHL, Merrill traded. It's not a bad looking lineup at all, IMO.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
This team is going to make the playoffs. Top end talent is kind of lacking but the depth is very impressive. Could even win a playoff series!

BUCC4N33R

May 17, 2014
New Zealand

:vegas

Perron - Shipachev - Neal
Marchessault - Nosek - Smith
Haula - Karlsson - Leipsic
Eakin - Lindberg - Pulkkinen

Miller - McNabb
Schmidt - Garrison
Engelland - Theodore

Fleury
Pickard

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
This team is going to make the playoffs. Top end talent is kind of lacking but the depth is very impressive. Could even win a playoff series!

Don't think we have the 2-way game to do that, but the first VGK game will be super exciting to see. I think the plan is to have some great home games and finish dead last :yo:

In few years Knights will create some chemistry and draft/pick up an elite D-pair and we are set.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Go Knights!

There's always something special with expansion teams, you never know.

Florida made it to the finals in year 3. And only made the playoffs 4 times in 20 years.

But still. I expect no playoffs this year. High pick. As well it should be, I think the NHL TRIED to make Vegas competitive from the get-go but they can't force a team to pick the BPA more than they can force the team to keep the best players they get from the expansion draft instead of trading them for future assets.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I'd say the way this blueline is shaping up he's a virtual lock to make the roster.

No doubt. If he can't make this roster he ain't what they thought he was.

But why? He's got one more year of waiver eligibility, and we need the roster flexibility - he needs to spend next year in Chicago, before he becomes a staple on our blue line next season (most likely starting at this year's trade deadline).

Assuming Hunt and Stoner are waived (since I doubt either gets claimed), we still have EIGHT d-men who need waivers:

SCHMIDT: Should be the top-pair LD. McPhee loves him. Give him a 4-5 year deal and lock him into that spot. He turns 26 this month, so he'd still fit in as the team gets better and can play up and down the lineup.
GARRISON: Top-pair RD. Showcase him for the trade deadline.
SBISA: 2nd-pair LD. Would love to trade him now, but I'm feeling doubtful. Might as well showcase him as best you can and move him for whatever at the deadline.
MILLER: 2nd-pair RD. Throw him into the fire and let him learn on the job. Re-sign him based on the season he has.
McNABB: 3rd-pair LD. Give him as many PK minutes as you can, and pump his value before flipping him to a team who needs him for the playoff push.
ENGELLAND: 3rd-pair RD. Rotate him from the press box, to the 3rd pair RD, or even 4th line RW if injuries come about.
REINHART, MERRILL: I'm convinced that both would get claimed if we tried to waive them, and I doubt McPhee wants to lose them for nothing. So put them in the press box at the start of the season, then work them in when trades/injuries occur.

Once Garrison, Sbisa and McNabb are gone, you've got Theodore standing by ready to go. It's the theory I think McPhee will go with, to be honest.

Tuch makes the team.

Same as Theodore. I don't care how good he is (and I think he's great), we have too many forwards who need waivers on the NHL roster so Tuch should go to the AHL for this season only. Once Perron, Neal, etc. are traded away, Tuch is a full-time Knight.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Theo has already spent so much time in the AHL it won't do him any good development wise. He's too good for the AHL. Needs to play big minutes in the NHL and learn from his mistakes on the fly. And the biggest reason why he will be on the team come opening night is he's the best puck mover and PPQB we have.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Didn't realize Garrison is only getting paid 2.5 mil in cash.

We can easily retain 50% and get a 2nd + good prospect back at the TDL if he has a good season.

Top 4 d-man, playoff experience and with a 2.3 cap hit at full retention = cash money to a contender.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Theo has already spent so much time in the AHL it won't do him any good development wise. He's too good for the AHL. Needs to play big minutes in the NHL and learn from his mistakes on the fly. And the biggest reason why he will be on the team come opening night is he's the best puck mover and PPQB we have.

Honestly, I'm just preparing myself so that I won't be shocked/surprised when Theo starts in the AHL.

Question: Can Theo play on the right side? Because we're going to have a huge hole at Top 4 RD next season, and also after we move Garrison at the deadline. If Theo ends up in the AHL, I think it would be great if Rocky puts him on the right side to see what he can do.

Didn't realize Garrison is only getting paid 2.5 mil in cash.

We can easily retain 50% and get a 2nd + good prospect back at the TDL if he has a good season.

Top 4 d-man, playoff experience and with a 2.3 cap hit at full retention = cash money to a contender.

Considering that 75% of his salary will already be paid by the deadline, and the cap hit will be pro-rated at that point, I'm hoping we don't have to retain at all so we can save those last two retention slots for guys like Sbisa or Perron.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Honestly, I'm just preparing myself so that I won't be shocked/surprised when Theo starts in the AHL.

Question: Can Theo play on the right side? Because we're going to have a huge hole at Top 4 RD next season, and also after we move Garrison at the deadline. If Theo ends up in the AHL, I think it would be great if Rocky puts him on the right side to see what he can do.

Considering that 75% of his salary will already be paid by the deadline, and the cap hit will be pro-rated at that point, I'm hoping we don't have to retain at all so we can save those last two retention slots for guys like Sbisa or Perron.

Yes. He played RD in Seattle. Played RD quite a bit in the AHL. Played RD last year with Stoner/Despres on the left. This year spent most of his time on the left with Bieksa.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Yes. He played RD in Seattle. Played RD quite a bit in the AHL. Played RD last year with Stoner/Despres on the left. This year spent most of his time on the left with Bieksa.

Good to know. And it looks like Schmidt/Sbisa/Merrill can play on their off-side as well, so that should help.

Please don't get me wrong - I want Theo playing for the Knights ASAP, but we've got to move some of the guys in front of him first. Stoner holds no value, so I have no problem sending him down to the AHL, especially since we only took him to get Theo. But Sbisa appears to have been selected to be flipped (since we got no compensation for picking him), so he needs to be in the lineup to garner more trade interest. The best case scenario would be if another team suffers a D injury in training camp and we can move Sbisa then.

As of now, it still looks like this to me for our back end:

Schmidt - Garrison
Sbisa - Miller
McNabb - Engelland
Reinhart, Merrill (scratch)

For those who want Theo in the opening day lineup, can you please suggest who gets moved and how? Not trying to be difficult - I'm honestly curious.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Good to know. And it looks like Schmidt/Sbisa/Merrill can play on their off-side as well, so that should help.

Please don't get me wrong - I want Theo playing for the Knights ASAP, but we've got to move some of the guys in front of him first. Stoner holds no value, so I have no problem sending him down to the AHL, especially since we only took him to get Theo. But Sbisa appears to have been selected to be flipped (since we got no compensation for picking him), so he needs to be in the lineup to garner more trade interest. The best case scenario would be if another team suffers a D injury in training camp and we can move Sbisa then.

As of now, it still looks like this to me for our back end:

Schmidt - Garrison
Sbisa - Miller
McNabb - Engelland
Reinhart, Merrill (scratch)

For those who want Theo in the opening day lineup, can you please suggest who gets moved and how? Not trying to be difficult - I'm honestly curious.

I think at some point in the next month or so one of Merrill or Miller will go. Ideally Toronto moves JVR for picks and then sends a 2018 2nd+ our way for Miller. If they can't get at least a 2nd for Miller, move Merrill for a mid round pick. Engelland/Sbisa/Mcnabb can rotate being the healthy scratch as they play similar roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad