Line Combos: The First Lineups Thread

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Competition for spots is going to be so crazy. Its almost impossible to predict who is going to slot into where outside a few guys.

Pulkinnen, Eakin, Haula, Merrill, Nosek, Miller, Lindberg, Karlsson, and Reinhart all are going to be fighting to get spots better than the bottom 6 / AHL callup / bottom pairing slots they had before.

I can't wait. This team is going to be more competitive than people think imo. Guys are going to be fighting for their jobs every night.

Going to be a lot of 1-2 goal losses.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
If Oscar Lindberg becomes an AHL call-up then something is wrong.

He'll pot at least 30 points as a bottom 6er and maybe more if he gets occasionally slotted into the top 6.

I would immediately pencil him into making the team and playing a full season, while being moved around the lineup.

I'm jelly you guys got him, super hard worker and very difficult to play against.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
How does William Karlsson for Pens '18 1st sound?

You have enough C's and we need a 3C. You want futures (or so I assume), and we would prefer not to lose current players.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Competition for spots is going to be so crazy. Its almost impossible to predict who is going to slot into where outside a few guys.

Pulkkinen, Eakin, Haula, Merrill, Nosek, Miller, Lindberg, Karlsson, and Reinhart all are going to be fighting to get spots better than the bottom 6 / AHL callup / bottom pairing slots they had before.

I can't wait. This team is going to be more competitive than people think imo. Guys are going to be fighting for their jobs every night.

There aren't four forwards better than Haula on this roster, he needs to show up to training camp in awful shape not to be penciled in on the second line...

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wonder who shifts to wing. I guess theoretically they could leave all of Ship, Haula, Karlson and Lindberg as centers and roll 4 lines but someone is going to get stuck with and probably held back by some poor wingers then.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I wonder who shifts to wing. I guess theoretically they could leave all of Ship, Haula, Karlson and Lindberg as centers and roll 4 lines but someone is going to get stuck with and probably held back by some poor wingers then.

I think Ship and Eakin are locks as center and Haula will probably be 2c with Karlsson and Lindberg fighting it out to be 3c.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think Ship and Eakin are locks as center and Haula will probably be 2c with Karlsson and Lindberg fighting it out to be 3c.

Haula I see winning the 2C spot considering the past two years he's been a 53% faceoff guy, and Eakin as 3C as he's a 47-52% faceoff guy.

Karlsson is a pretty terrible in the faceoff dot coming in at 43-45% on average. That is just not center quality. Bellamare is decent averaging 47-48% on the dot.

I think the true competition for 3C is going to be between Eakin and Lindberg. Last year they both were 53% in the dot which is very solid for a shut down line.

If I were to hazard a guess on the centers I would go:

Shipachyov ???

Haula 53%

Lingberg as winger / Eakin as center (both very solid in the dot but Eakin is more proven and experienced...but both can play wing) both around 53%

Bellamare 48%

Assuming Ship is somewhere around a 50% faceoff guy, this team is going to be in the top 10 in faceoff percentage for the league.

Considering the amount of possession players on this team, that is a very good thing to have.

Karlsson is going to have to go to wing with his abysmal faceoff skills unless a lightbulb flashes on overnight and he at least becomes average. Then he really only has a chance to beat out Bellamare as a center.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
How does William Karlsson for Pens '18 1st sound?

You have enough C's and we need a 3C. You want futures (or so I assume), and we would prefer not to lose current players.

I'd do it. Karlsson is good defensively and has some untapped potential, but there are a ton of better centers (at least in the dot and equal defensively)

I'd trade Karlsson before I traded Lindberg. Both about the same age, but Lindberg brings a more tenacious, gritty style, they are only one year apart, and produce about the same though Lindberg has had injury troubles and scores at a better clip per game.

In a draft forecast to be as deep as '18, I'd even take it if its the 30-31st overall pick.

Just too much of a log jam, and too similar of players in the bottom 3 lines.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I think he'll get a nine game look, we're definitely not in a hurry to rush him.

I doubt he gets a look this year after the preseason unless he looks outstanding in the preseason. I suspect he will go back this year and get a look next year. I don't think they will rush him. I doubt he is the difference between the playoffs.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I doubt he gets a look this year after the preseason unless he looks outstanding in the preseason. I suspect he will go back this year and get a look next year. I don't think they will rush him. I doubt he is the difference between the playoffs.

Yeah, this makes sense. He can't get the 9-game look at the beginning of the year unless we trade more forwards or try to pass some through waivers. Now, if Portland were to get eliminated early in the WHL playoffs, I can see him getting a few games in Vegas during the final week or two of the season.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I could see him getting 1-9 games. You could always sit someone like Bellamare as the 13th forward to start or even someone like Tuch if he makes the team.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I could see him getting 1-9 games. You could always sit someone like Bellamare as the 13th forward to start or even someone like Tuch if he makes the team.

Sorry, but I still don't see the logic. Once Leipsic signs, we'll have 14 forwards who need waivers. I think Pulkkinen is the only one that might clear, but it sounds like people on this board think he'll make the team. Having Glass/Tuch make the team means that someone else goes to waivers, and I'm not sure GMGM wants to lose any of the exp draft players for nothing. But that's just me...

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I'd do it. Karlsson is good defensively and has some untapped potential, but there are a ton of better centers (at least in the dot and equal defensively)

I'd trade Karlsson before I traded Lindberg. Both about the same age, but Lindberg brings a more tenacious, gritty style, they are only one year apart, and produce about the same though Lindberg has had injury troubles and scores at a better clip per game.

In a draft forecast to be as deep as '18, I'd even take it if its the 30-31st overall pick.

Just too much of a log jam, and too similar of players in the bottom 3 lines.

Totally agree. If someone is offering a 2018 1st round pick for ANY of our players right now, you have to listen. As you said, Karlsson can be replaced.

Barring trades, I see our four centers as:
Ship
Eakin
Lindberg
Karlsson

Wild fans have said that Haula is much more effective at LW. I see Bellemare as the 4LW, but if you're worried about Karlsson's FO % vs. Bellemare, then you can always let Karlsson play LW and have Bellemare at C (or just have Bellemare take the face-offs!).

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Out of the 11 D- men on current roster;
- Stoner is a salary cap dump and can pass through waivers.
- Hunt can also pass through waivers with little worry of him being claimed

That leaves 9 D- men vying for 8 spots on the 23 man roster. 1 more trade of a D man for asset ( draft pick)would work. Or it could be delayed if one of the 9 remaining D are placed on the I.R list (Injury reserve).

The main pieces on D that L.V.K should build upon is

1) Theodore
2) Scmidt
3) McNabb
4) Merrell
5) Reinhart
6) Miller
They are the right age and have some upside if giving the right opportunities.
Garrisson/Sbisa/Stoner/ are minor veteran precence to start and if you can get a decent pick at anytime - get it done.

-Brad Hunt is A.H.L. depth for injury reserve.
- England is L.V. publicity stunt Home grown 35 year old for the first season or 2.

Goalies

-Fleury is the face of the franchise and a veteran Goalie that every expansion team needs ..... so they do not get embarrassed.
Fleury will get traded at 2019 Trade deadline
- Pickard is young for a goalie and has room to grow into a starter. If not LVK can get a goalie in Free agency to start their 3rd season

Forwards

- Neal and Perron were selected to entertain during the 1 st season and then get draft pick value at the trade deadline. (2018 picks). Most likely 2nd round picks plus (each)

-Shipachyov will entertain for 2 years and will be traded at the 2019 Trade deadline.

- Eakin / Smith / Bellmare are just veteran forward depth needed as a stop gate until draft picks arrive.

-Haula / karlsson / Linberg are young and good enough to grow with the team and possibly stick around and get extended if they work out.

- Same goes for Marchessault but he is U.F.A next off season. If he does not work out or will not sign an extension by the trade deadline he will also be traded for draft picks instead of being lost for nothing.

Tuch / Leipsac / Carriere will be the youth on the team this year and will make the 2017-18 roster.

Love the first 4 picks in the 2017 draft;
1) Glass
2) Suzuki
3) Brannstrom (D)
4) Hague (D)

All four need another year to develope in Junior. No need for any of them to play early and start their 7 year team controlled years early. Vegas will be much better starting their entry level contracts in 2018 or 19.

Great start......

Love the stockpile of picks in 2019 and 2020 drafts.
-2019 Vegas allready has 7 picks in the first 3 rounds
-2020 Vegas all ready has 5 picks in the first 3 rounds
-2018 draft should be bolstered by the above trades at this years deadline.

Vegas will be competitive out of the gate. But their future looks bright.

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

That leaves 9 D- men vying for 8 spots on the 23 man roster. 1 more trade of a D man for asset ( draft pick)would work. Or it could be delayed if one of the 9 remaining D are placed on the I.R list (Injury reserve).

1) Theodore
2) Scmidt
3) McNabb
4) Merrell
5) Reinhart
6) Miller
Garrisson/Sbisa/Stoner/ are minor veteran precence to start and if you can get a decent pick at anytime - get it done.

- England is L.V. publicity stunt Home grown 35 year old for the first season or 2.

I agree with most everything you said, although I'd put Miller ahead of Merril and Reinhart.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Totally agree, except one thing: not to sound like a broken record, but we can always send Theodore down to the AHL at the start of the season if one of the other 8 d-men isn't dealt. I think we're all expecting some more trades to go down, but as of this moment, I see us going 13F/8D with Stoner/Hunt/Theodore/Pulkkinen starting the season in the AHL.

1) Theodore
2) Scmidt
3) McNabb
4) Merrell
5) Reinhart
6) Miller

I agree with pretty much everything you've said in your post, except the bolded. I can easily see McNabb getting moved at the deadline. He's a bottom-pair guy that's about to become a UFA - I don't see him as a "main piece" of our blueline after this season.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I agree with pretty much everything you've said in your post, except the bolded. I can easily see McNabb getting moved at the deadline. He's a bottom-pair guy that's about to become a UFA - I don't see him as a "main piece" of our blueline after this season.

No doubt. Only thing McNabb has going for him is his age. He's just a guy and not a long term key piece.

RE: Theodore, it comes down to him really. If he shows well in camp he will win a roster spot, and they'll move who they need to move. If not, then yeah he goes down.

Other than that... McPhee really needs to be patient with the forwards and not flip the key forward pieces until the deadline. Those guys are what will make the 2018 draft, and it's why he went for futures with some of the other moves. If we're lucky Neal and Perron will have very strong early season production and from there we're in business.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

Pulkinnen, Eakin, Haula, Merrill, Nosek, Miller, Lindberg, Karlsson, and Reinhart all are going to be fighting to get spots better than the bottom 6 / AHL callup / bottom pairing slots they had before.

I hope you're right derrik. Personally, I like our forwards more than our blue line. Way I see it we should see some offense but Fleury's gonna see a lot of quality shots.

This is a bottom third team IMO. Which is a good thing. That plus maybe one of the playoff hopefuls we trade forwards to at the break should give us a shot or two at a lottery win.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I wanna see as a line the trio of UFA forwards next summer:

Perron - Marchessault - Neal

I all but guarantee Ship sees at least one, if not all three of those guys cycled on his wings.

With the center depth, and good faceoff ones too (outside of Karlsson) I see March going to the wing. There he can focus on trying to score 30 goals again and not worry as much about the defensive responsibilities of a center.

I would bet Ship was promised a solid, extended chance with our top wingers as a factor in coming over. The two year contract was no coincidence...he wants to produce and get paid $$$$$

That's not going to happen with the wingers in the tier below those 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->